Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Update on Race Change Tokens

• MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is simply great, i can revive some of useless toons with those tokens for free ^^
    Makes all race changes worthwhile :D
  • Kesstryl
    Kesstryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is very generous. While I won't be chasing metas and using my tokens to change race (will use them to alter appearance on some of my chars though), I am happy for meta chasers who will be changing races. Thank you ZOS for listening!
    HEARTHLIGHT - A guild for housing enthusiasts! Contact @Kesstryl in-game to join.
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay! Thank you ZoS!!
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • IzzyStardust
    IzzyStardust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    eso_lags wrote: »
    After reviewing everyone’s feedback and evaluating the total number of high-level characters from active ESO accounts, we’ve decided to increase the amount of free Race Change Tokens granted to all players to 3 Tokens, in addition to granting 3 Name Change Tokens, to assist with the upcoming Racial balance changes in Update 21. The Tokens will be automatically added to your account during the launch maintenance window for each respective platform.

Additionally, we’re also planning a sale on both Race Change Tokens and the Race & Name Change Token bundle for a limited time after each platform’s launch.

We look forward to seeing everyone in game for the upcoming Wrathstone launch!

I gave it an awesome and im happy you guys realize how needed this was, but the second sentence is the problem here. If you can put them on sale then you could have made them free for a week or a day or whatever. Some of us have a lot of characters that got screwed from this. Pvp and pve. I have 12 characters and if im fully honest ill need to change 5 orcs and maybe 2 dunmers.

This wasnt a racial balance, imo. Some races are still better for certain things, and some races will be used much less. Thats not balance. Im just not sure why giving every player 1 race change per character above lv 50 is so hard. Or even 1 for every 2 characters we have above level 50..

For me this post still makes me weary about this whole thing.. You 100% know that end game players are going to race change if their race is not suited for what they are doing anymore. Or if there race is no longer the best race. You know you are going to sell a lot of race changes.. It just seems wrong, knowing this information, to not give people a day (or whatever) of free changes to adjust. It just seems wrong to make these changes when the only way we can adjust it is to spend money. Even if it was a 1 day grace period of free race changes, 1 per account at a time, you would still sell so many. And discounting them you will undoubtedly sell even more because of those people, who cant afford the insane price they are right now, can maybe squeeze out the discounted price..

But I wont say im not happy about getting 3. Its more than i thought you would give us, so that deserves a thank you.. Im happy you heard the community, I just wish instead of going part of the way you would have went the full way and given us a small grace period or 1 per VR char...

It isn't just about endgame players. This change affects players at all levels, so linking the number of free tokens to accounts based on how many level 50 characters they have would be entirely wrong in my view - although assessing the number of such characters has enabled ZOS to recognise the need for more free tokens which is fair enough in itself.

All that said, I personally supported the notion of offering free race changes for a short period so all players could experiment with the changes regardless of their playstyle or character levels. While we haven't got that, we have got an increase in the number of free race change tokens and we have also got some free name change tokens to go with them so that's a definite plus. Moreover, the passive changes themselves seem to have gone down a lot better than previous changes to the game and hopefully some final tweaking before the changes go live will help even more players accept the changes and reduce the number of characters whose race needs changing.

Thanks for listening, ZOS.

Except levelling to 50 has never been easier- you even get free exp scrolls that didn’t even exist when most of us levelled; nor even CP, it was 16 more levels of grind with no boosters, not even psijic pots.

I don’t think sub 50 is even the same when you have all achievements, guilds, books, shards, wayshrines etc. on your chars.

• SirNom
    SirNom
    ✭✭✭
    Greysson wrote: »
    SirNom wrote: »
    Congrats to those who have 3 or less characters at max level. The rest of us that play the game even more are now being told if we want to race change our other characters we must either delete the character and restart, or pay money for crowns to race change the other 12 characters you have spent a long time leveling.

Speek for your own.
    I have 15 Chars at max and three additional accounts. I am fine with the three token solution and happy for the name change tokens. If you think that all of your chars are now so broken, unplayable, whatever that you must change all of them ... nobody can help you.

Everyone is different and plays the game for different reasons, I like to do end game content like trials for scores or titles. To get the best, you need to have the best race, class skills etc in your group. I am at a disadvantage to someone else that is a better race than me, and I do not think that is fair when it is something I cannot change unless I race change for crowns which I need to spend even more money on. I picked the races I have now because I knew before I picked them, what benefits I would get for choosing them. Now they are changing these benefits and to stay competitive, and enjoy the game, I need to pay even more money on top of what I have already put into ESO, to race change when they can simply give us race changes on all characters.

Would there be a disadvantage for us as players in having the option to race change ever character we currently have as a one time only thing because of the changes? I don't see any

What are the reasons for not having a race change on every one of my characters? - you picked your race when you first started, knowing what you are getting and now we have decided to change everything... but don't worry guys, we will give you the option to change 20% of the work you have already done with 3 free race changes, but you have to pay to change the other 80%.

seriously sounds *** up to me.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zyk wrote: »
    Three isn't enough.

If you're profiting from this -- and the token sale planned suggests you expect to -- you're doing it wrong.

You should not be earning $0.01 because you've changed the traits of a character's race and the player is now unhappy about it. You should not be profiting for a problem you will be creating for players.

There should be a period of unlimited changes in addition to 3 tokens that can be used for remorse later.

Exactly.

I don't understand why they insist on trying to earn money from this change. Even if they do profit from it, which I'm sure they will, do they realize how this makes them look?

And you've got geniuses mocking people who say this was a cash grab...

It is still a cash grab. Less of a cash grab than initially expected but still a cash grab.

They stand to profit from it with the sale so still a cash grab.

Sure, but what do you expect when people won't all pay subscriptions (let alone index-linked subscriptions from the original ones set 20 years ago)? To cap it all, players revolt over cash shops and lootboxes so the sense of freeloading entitlement is very strong in gaming these days. Developers have to raise their revenue one way or another when a game goes B2P or F2P, even when a voluntary subscription is part of the business model.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    After reviewing everyone’s feedback and evaluating the total number of high-level characters from active ESO accounts, we’ve decided to increase the amount of free Race Change Tokens granted to all players to 3 Tokens, in addition to granting 3 Name Change Tokens, to assist with the upcoming Racial balance changes in Update 21. The Tokens will be automatically added to your account during the launch maintenance window for each respective platform.

Additionally, we’re also planning a sale on both Race Change Tokens and the Race & Name Change Token bundle for a limited time after each platform’s launch.

I gave it an awesome and im happy you guys realize how needed this was, but the second sentence is the problem here. If you can put them on sale then you could have made them free for a week or a day or whatever. Some of us have a lot of characters that got screwed from this. Pvp and pve. I have 12 characters and if im fully honest ill need to change 5 orcs and maybe 2 dunmers.

This wasnt a racial balance, imo. Some races are still better for certain things, and some races will be used much less. Thats not balance. Im just not sure why giving every player 1 race change per character above lv 50 is so hard. Or even 1 for every 2 characters we have above level 50..

For me this post still makes me weary about this whole thing.. You 100% know that end game players are going to race change if their race is not suited for what they are doing anymore. Or if there race is no longer the best race. You know you are going to sell a lot of race changes.. It just seems wrong, knowing this information, to not give people a day (or whatever) of free changes to adjust. It just seems wrong to make these changes when the only way we can adjust it is to spend money. Even if it was a 1 day grace period of free race changes, 1 per account at a time, you would still sell so many. And discounting them you will undoubtedly sell even more because of those people, who cant afford the insane price they are right now, can maybe squeeze out the discounted price..

But I wont say im not happy about getting 3. Its more than i thought you would give us, so that deserves a thank you.. Im happy you heard the community, I just wish instead of going part of the way you would have went the full way and given us a small grace period or 1 per VR char...

It isn't just about endgame players. This change affects players at all levels, so linking the number of free tokens to accounts based on how many level 50 characters they have would be entirely wrong in my view - although assessing the number of such characters has enabled ZOS to recognise the need for more free tokens which is fair enough in itself.

All that said, I personally supported the notion of offering free race changes for a short period so all players could experiment with the changes regardless of their playstyle or character levels. While we haven't got that, we have got an increase in the number of free race change tokens and we have also got some free name change tokens to go with them so that's a definite plus. Moreover, the passive changes themselves seem to have gone down a lot better than previous changes to the game and hopefully some final tweaking before the changes go live will help even more players accept the changes and reduce the number of characters whose race needs changing.

Except levelling to 50 has never been easier- you even get free exp scrolls that didn’t even exist when most of us levelled; nor even CP, it was 16 more levels of grind with no boosters, not even psijic pots.

I don’t think sub 50 is even the same when you have all achievements, guilds, books, shards, wayshrines etc. on your chars.

That's irrelevant to those who have established characters and don't roll new or replacement characters with the aim of leveling them to 50 in a couple of days at a dolmen in Alik'r Desert.
  • mingimingi
    mingimingi
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you !!!
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you ZOS.

I am just happy IF I need to buy Race Change tokens, I will not have to pay full ( cash ) price for any.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you :)
  • Dirge13
    Dirge13
    Soul Shriven
    That is awesome news! Thank you for listening!
    "A plan? Narsis Dren always has a plan." ~ Narsis Dren
  • winterbornb14_ESO
    winterbornb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Does a token cost Zo$ any money?.....................NOPE!

Why are you going to *** off customers when doing what is right cost you NOTHING?

EVERY character gets a free Race and Name token!

Its easy and free for you......................SO DO IT!
  • Yamenstein
    Yamenstein
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does a token cost Zo$ any money?.....................NOPE!

Why are you going to *** off customers when doing what is right cost you NOTHING?

EVERY character gets a free Race and Name token!

Its easy and free for you......................SO DO IT!

Does it cost them money? Yes, sort of. Giving more out would stop players from buying them, which will mean loss of sales. Also not everyone wants to change races or names.

Would be cool if they gave tokens based on the number of level 50 toons, and have them locked for use on those toons - inventory locked.

Three tokens are better than one though.
    Meh.
  • Taunky
    Taunky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Thank you!
  • NekoTashi
    NekoTashi
    ✭✭✭

Khajiit would like to give ZOS a big hug as a token of appreciation for this wonderful news! This one needed a name change. And now thanks to ZOS she can do so.
    tumblr-n5usk2u-Bxc1snkdzho1-250.gif
    PS4/EU Gamer | I don't have haters, just fans in denial.
  • VaxtinTheWolf
    VaxtinTheWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a long time now I've wanted to give my second Khajiit a proper name other than "Vaxtin", And change my character that has VaxtinTheWolf" To simply "Vaxtin".

I am actually so very glad to see this announcement. I can even alter my Sorcerer's name too.
    Edited by VaxtinTheWolf on February 3, 2019 5:14AM
    || AD - Rah'Jiin Lv50 Khajiit Nightblade (Damage) || EP - Generic Argonian Lv50 Argonian Nightblade (Tank) || DC - Zinkotsu Lv50 Breton Nightblade (Healer) ||
    || DC - Ja'Kiro Feral-Heart Lv50 Khajiit Dragonknight (Damage) || EP - VaxtinTheWolf Lv50 Redguard Templar (Tank) || AD - Velik Iranis Lv50 Dark Elf Sorcerer (Tank ) ||
    || EP - Einvarg The Frozen Lv50 Nord Warden (Tank/Healer) || EP - Keem-Ja Lv4 Argonian Necromancer (Healer/Tank) ||
    PC - North American Server (Champion 1300+)
  • Alucardmike
    Alucardmike
    ✭✭✭
    This is good for lot of players.
    I will not use them, because the only race I play, is Bosmer. But I have not heared, that they change the plan for balances. So I think, my time has come to leave this great game, due to a broken character. :'(
    The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
  • eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is a welcome change. Thank you for that. Unfortunately, I would have preferred if you didn't have a sale on the items at all. Promoting a sale is an admission that you want to monetize these changes, at least to some extent. It may have looked better overall if you just raised the tokens to 3, added the name change tokens and left it at that. You're saying that anyone not satisfied with only 3 changes is welcome to visit the store in order to fix any other issues they may have. It sets a poor precedent and adds a shady element to the process.

Pretty much. This is what i said reading this when she wrote it.. It just made me feel weary about the whole thing. Its not like a nerf to a class ability or something.. They could be doing this because they know they did not balance every race equally, some races will still be better for certain things, so they know people will certainly be buying race changes.. Just seems like player manipulation.. Its not what i want to think, but its how it looks..

But like many people have said before, if they had just given one race change per VR char, or a 1 day - 1 week grace period, this would have put all that to rest. But they haven't done that. Because.... Potential profit from the changes they made.. Idk..
  • GabiAlex
    GabiAlex
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wished for two name change tokens months ago, guess some wishes come true.
    Thanks, ZoS, this is very nice!
    @GabiAlex - PC EU Megaserver
    Delora Xiaphia - Aldmeri Dominion - Nightblade Bosmer
    Ugrim gro-Khar - Daggerfall Covenant - Dragonknight Orsimer
    Sena R'en - Ebonheart Pact - Sorcerer Dunmer
    Fjorik Firebeard - Ebonheart Pact - Templar Nord
    Ophelia Adel Maris - Aldmeri Dominion - Sorcerer Breton
    Drinks-In-Silence - Ebonheart Pact - Dragonknight Argonian
    Floriancen Larethian - Aldmeri Dominion - Warden Altmer
    Zahir at Unar - Daggerfall Covenant - Nightblade Redguard

• eso_lags
    eso_lags
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That's irrelevant to those who have established characters and don't roll new or replacement characters with the aim of leveling them to 50 in a couple of days at a dolmen in Alik'r Desert.

So then one per character. Its how it should have been. I mean most people with a lot of characters have bought more slots with money anyway.. Or, like you've said, a certain amount of time to change. If you cant play during that time then it sucks but the majority of us play on a weekly, if not daily, basis.

Them not doing that has me torn. Part of me is happy and thankful they listened, and the skeptical part of me cannot help but think this is such a cash grab. If they cared they would just do one of those 2 things I mentioned, or something similar, and put everyones concerns to rest. Its not like they are losing money. They would not be gaining money if they didnt make these changes in the first place, knowing they would make money!! This is just a loop.

But regardless, even with 1 per char or free changes for a week, they would still sell more race changes than they would have if they didnt do this at all. People are impulsive and indecisive. Some would use the free ones and buy more later..

But again, I am thankful they at least boosted it.. Its nice to see them listen, even if I still disagree with the outcome.
    Edited by eso_lags on February 3, 2019 9:47AM
  • Kalle_Demos
    Kalle_Demos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You all are entirely serious aren't you??

whitneyaudience.gif

"If I am to be Queen, I must look fear in the face and conquer it. How can I ask my people to have faith in me if I don't have faith in myself?" - Queen Ayrenn
  • EC_Rob
    EC_Rob
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you @ZOS_GinaBruno :)

I have 15 chars, this makes it a bit better haha. I'd still rather have 6, but! I wont be picky and will love the fact we'll have three instead of 1. :)

Much thanks!

@EC_Rob
    @EC_Rob
    GM of Nirn Traders (PC-EU)
    GM of Aetherius Trade (PC-EU)
    GM of Sovngarde Traders (PC-EU)

Keep it causal, enjoy your games.
    Kill in good spirit, die in good spirit.

Magicka Templar since 2014. Breton master race forever.
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    See people? That's why it's good to complain.
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU
  • Grimm13
    Grimm13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had argued for the increase to three, based on there are three factions. A good amount of people have one of each faction, especially pre one tamriel players.

If they gave one character then you have people getting more than some that had less.

Maybe we will be surprised by 75 % off sale. They did not say how big of a sale.

I am happier at getting 3 plus 3 name change as well.
    Edited by Grimm13 on February 3, 2019 2:22PM
    https://sparkforautism.org/

Season of DraggingOn
    It's your choice on how you vote with your $

PC-NA
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mairwen85 wrote: »
    And people say you guys don't listen :smile:

Thank you, not necessary for everyone (me included), but thanks for listening.

Awesome.

It is nice of them to do this, but i agree, i dont care about chasing the meta so now im gonna have three tokens just sitting there.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • goldenarcher1
    goldenarcher1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well,i only have two Bosmer and one Khajiit so this is very convenient. :p

Those name change tokens got me thinkin...

ue5dity.gif
  • Shardaxx
    Shardaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the free race change tokens only for eso+ subscribers?
    PS4 - Europe - Shardaxx - Wood Elf Nightblade - Aldmeri Dominion
  • Watchdog
    Watchdog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for listening to the community in this case, ZOS. B)

I do not plan to change the race of any of my characters, since they are all characters, not "toons", each has his or her own story and changing them would be like erasing them from existence. The tokens are going to be very useful to me nonetheless, as they allow the change of appearance and perhaps some cosmetic changes to the names.

I am also going to use this gift to make pictures of the sliders on one of my NA server characters, so that I can make some little but important changes to the face of one of my EU characters, since at the time of her creation I simply couldn't get her looks right under the lighting conditions of the character creator interface. I achieved just the right facial features on the NA character later, though.
    Edited by Watchdog on February 3, 2019 6:07PM
    Member of Alith Legion: https://www.alithlegion.com
  • priforce
    priforce
    ✭✭✭
    Have no idea why people are getting so toxic about this. (IMHO) I think it's a great offer and if you have 15 characters (like I do) who all have the wrong races because of the changes, you haven't been planning well. The changes are not astronomical and they haven't finished yet with the PTS adjustments. Wait till they are finalized.

We wanted race changes, so here they are. Changing them all for completely free - isn't a good business model.