The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Unexpected crashing while in game

• boramil
    boramil
    boramil wrote: »
    Rowjoh wrote: »
    Still crashing in game and at exit.

Is this finally getting fixed with todays maintenance/patch ?

There does not seem to be any patch today. Nothing new downloaded for me as I launched the game just now. So, I am not hopeful that the problem has been fixed, but I'll know shortly.

Confirmed that the sudden crash to desktop is still there. It took a little longer than usual (about 45 minutes today vs. about 20-25 minutes earlier in the week) but I suspect that was because I spent most of my playtime in a single zone this morning instead of hopping from zone-to-zone like I was during the New Life Festival events.
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I crash randomly about once per hour, sometimes more. Doesn’t appear to be relative to how busy the environment is, but it’s hard to say if that’s true.

I also crash on exit about 95% of the time. I crash after the screensaver engages 100% of the time.

My FPS is also still lower than pre-Murkmire.

Communication from ZoS still sucks like a pro on steroids.

And today’s maintenance did nothing...... business as usual I guess.
  • Alhatariel
    Alhatariel
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing has improved during todays maintenance :-(
    I crashed as much as I did the last week. Really dissappointing...
  • ArranHS
    ArranHS
    Rowjoh wrote: »
    Still crashing in game and at exit.

Is this finally getting fixed with todays maintenance/patch ?

There does not seem to be any patch today. Nothing new downloaded for me as I launched the game just now. So, I am not hopeful that the problem has been fixed, but I'll know shortly.

Also came here to question this, the patch notes said there were fixes for mac but I've not had to download anything.
  • boramil
    boramil
    ArranHS wrote: »

Also came here to question this, the patch notes said there were fixes for mac but I've not had to download anything.

I think those patch notes were from back in December. There are no patch notes from today's maintenance.
  • Jeth
    Jeth
    ✭✭✭
    ArranHS wrote: »

I think those patch notes were from back in December. There are no patch notes from today's maintenance.

...and more cricket chirps from ZOS.

-Jeth
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    keto3000 wrote: »
    After submitting crash ticket & report, the support team said I ( like most of you) showed memory loss issue to be source of my crashing. They advised best idea right now was a complete UNINSTALL, and clean RE INSTALL of the game.

I just finished doing that (download took ~ 3hrs in SAFE MODE) so I'll update this thread on performance as I start to play now. I've stuck to mainly PvP lately but I'm going to try various PvE, BG, etc see how it goes.

I have played on the same game install since beta so I figured starting 2019 with a CLEAN INSTALL was worthwhile.

Any update, @keto3000 on whether your clean reinstall has helped the crashing situation? I am thinking of trying it, too.
    Thanks!

• Kaytlin
    Kaytlin
    ✭✭✭
    no it is not fixed the problem is still there! WHEN WILL THE DEVELOPERS ANSWER THIS AND FIX THE FREAKING PROBLEM?
  • Ecstatica
    Ecstatica
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe this one hasn't been fixed yet. It's really destroying any fun I can have in the game.
    Filthy Gorgeous
    (PC/EU)
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    I am not crashing as frequently in pvp battles (I was crashing ~ 1-2 per hour of play. Now, I'm averaging closer to 2+ hrs before experiencing any crashing. I feel that after 4 years it was good time for me to Clean Install the game again.

I saved a BACKUP of my addons on Minion (& screenshot) so it was pretty quick overall to do it, imo.

My screen seems brighter, sharper to me as well.
    keto3000 wrote: »
    After submitting crash ticket & report, the support team said I ( like most of you) showed memory loss issue to be source of my crashing. They advised best idea right now was a complete UNINSTALL, and clean RE INSTALL of the game.

I just finished doing that (download took ~ 3hrs in SAFE MODE) so I'll update this thread on performance as I start to play now. I've stuck to mainly PvP lately but I'm going to try various PvE, BG, etc see how it goes.

I have played on the same game install since beta so I figured starting 2019 with a CLEAN INSTALL was worthwhile.

Any update, @keto3000 on whether your clean reinstall has helped the crashing situation? I am thinking of trying it, too.
    Thanks!
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • karpok
    karpok
    ✭✭✭
    On my side I don't see any improvement.
    But any new bugs. I was in Cyrodiil and still experiencing the hourly crash. But now when it crashes I am kicked of Cyrodiil.
    I queue to get back in and when I finally have the message to port in, the game just freezes again with black screen over and over again.

Looks like the next January event won't be Mac friendly once again. Only the third event in a row !
    --
    Soumar, Aldmeri Sorcer
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, @keto3000. Good tip on saving the Minion data and screenshotting, too!
  • zenzic67
    zenzic67
    Soul Shriven
    I've been playing ESO since launch, and have seen plenty of bugs come and go, but this one is really a deal-breaker. Over the last few weeks, watching my game abruptly crash every half-hour to hour is getting really old, especially in Cyrodiil. Equally frustrating is not hearing about any progress or updates from Zenimax about the problem.

I'll give this another week. If there is no progress, I'll assume this problem isn't important enough to resolve, and I'll cancel my subscription. Sad, but it's better than wasting my time on a broken game.
  • Deeprave
    Deeprave
    ✭✭
    Not fixed.

Obviously, it is a plot to rid the game of Mac users or force them to downgrade to a PC.
    Edited by Deeprave on January 5, 2019 6:30AM
  • Kaytlin
    Kaytlin
    ✭✭✭
    Once again the game crashes, again during battleground match, again with penalty for leaving match once again with no sense of urgency by the staff to fix this freaking problem.
  • Alhatariel
    Alhatariel
    ✭✭✭
    I am playing Eso several years now and spend a few thousand euro each year in the game, have many houses and a succesfull, wonderfull Guild. That are the reason that I stay, but I may say honestly that if I had been a newbee these days with my high end Mac in this game I would have left the game. It is bad enough that this crashing just continues over long time but even worse that we dont get any feed back, no words of sorry, no word that they are working on the case and hope to fix it soon. We are left in the dark and that really bad policy. I love this game , its my only one I play but I dont feel treated as a good customer lately.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alhatariel wrote: »
    I am playing Eso several years now and spend a few thousand euro each year in the game, have many houses and a succesfull, wonderfull Guild. That are the reason that I stay, but I may say honestly that if I had been a newbee these days with my high end Mac in this game I would have left the game. It is bad enough that this crashing just continues over long time but even worse that we dont get any feed back, no words of sorry, no word that they are working on the case and hope to fix it soon. We are left in the dark and that really bad policy. I love this game , its my only one I play but I dont feel treated as a good customer lately.

+1 for the sentiment. I don’t know which I feel more angry about, the utterly useless Mac client, the obvious contempt and lack of any legitimate QA system from the development team or the total lack of any kind of communication about this from ZOS.

It all speaks of a desperately defensive mindset, where realisation and acknowledgement of any issue is buried beneath a fear of admission and a lack of insight. This is head in the sand, ostrich development. Genuinely talented developers and creators understand that when they have issues like this the best way to respond is to admit to the problems, determine their solution, develop a timeline and communicate this to their users.

The classic ostrich development is to pretend there is no issue, provide no feedback and hope, desperately that it will go away somehow.

It’s not the failure of the last Mac update that concerns me (although it does concern me) as much as the reaction to it. I want some kind of reassurance that ZOS is committed to the Mac platform beyond mere platitudes and some coherent idea of when I can legitimately expect to be able to play this game alongside my PC companions. Doing nothing for the best part of a month isn’t the right response.
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nope, no fix yet and nothing from Zenimax :/
  • demerdecanswrath
    demerdecanswrath
    ✭✭✭
    Here's hoping the PC/Mac patch is delayed because the devs are doing some actual extended testing.
    Characters:
    • Arien Larethian (High Elf Templar)
    • Relus Demerdecan (Redguard Dragonknight)
    • Elisia Bonaire (Breton Nightblade)

Proudly playing and producing content on a 2018 15" MacBook Pro.
  • ekaw
    ekaw
    I have been updating my support ticket every couple days with fresh crash reports from ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports folder. They've got a several weeks worth of my crash reports now.

I recommend everyone does the same. Maybe that'll get there attention. Probably not.
  • Ruenn
    Ruenn
    I have been experiencing the same problems since the Dec. 10 patch. After going back and forth with support with no resolution, my ticket was sent to 'another team to for further investigation' on Dec. 17th. After more than a week of no communication, I received the exact same email that @Kaytlin has posted. At this point, although disappointed with the length of time it took to give me a reasonable response (was trying to cut them a break, it was the holidays,) I at least thought they were working to resolve the issue and was somewhat hopeful that the problem would eventually be resolved.

After not hearing anything for a few days, I looked up my ticket in account settings and found that my ticket had been put into the 'Resolved' tab. I found this to be incredibly insulting, as if my problem was not important and I was being dismissed. My sentiments are similar to @Alhatariel, if not for friends and guild mates, I would seriously consider walking away from my beloved ESO.

I post in the slight hope that a moderator or community manager reads this. We realize complicated problems occur and take time to resolve, but don't hide or (worse yet!) dismiss us. Communicate with us, let us know you are working on it and are committed to Mac players. From the insightful and technical post in this thread, perhaps we can even help resolve the issue. I do not think that it is too much to ask for a weekly update on the problem, even if the response is 'Still working on it!' At least we will know we count for something

We look forward to helping you help us!
    Edited by Ruenn on January 8, 2019 10:25PM
  • ZOS_AlexTardif
    ZOS_AlexTardif
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

We have some folks investigating these crashes right now and should have improvements patched out soon. Thank you all for your patience, and thank you to those who shared their hardware and crash stack information, we have enough at this point to address the issues.
    Zenimax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • ArranHS
    ArranHS
    Hi everyone,

We have some folks investigating these crashes right now and should have improvements patched out soon. Thank you all for your patience, and thank you to those who shared their hardware and crash stack information, we have enough at this point to address the issues.

Thanks for the update :)
  • boggo
    boggo
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is, that the crashes as well as the occasional stuttering is due to player assets. If I play normally and hang out in cities from
    time to time the game crashes about every hour. Also the stuttering often happens, if a player character gets in sight. Today I have been solely fishing. Only very few players, no crash at all.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crashed AGAIN. SSDD - Can't quest, can't do dungeons, can't do trials, no chance of getting the Ice Hat motif, I'm crashing just bumbling about.

It's clear that ZOS really could not give a toss about Mac users. They can't even be bothered to communicate.

It's a shame because I really quite like the game and the people I've met playing it.

Ticket #190108-002204

• FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    And btw, in FOUR days, ZOS will dump my ticket and pretend the issue has been resolved. That's the level of contempt we're dealing with.

• karpok
    karpok
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif
    Thanks for the update
    But this is exactly what you already told us about the fps issue about 2 months ago. And there were clearly no improvement since then, but only this new random crash madness.
    I think I am not the only one who lost confidence when you say the situation will improve soon.

It would be very nice to have an estimated date for the next patch and what may be expected from it.

A new event is starting in 2 days. And by now it will clearly be unplayable for us with those poor performances, crashes and inability to get back in Cyrodiil either because of bugs or because you are queued again to join just before crashing again.
    Does that mean we will have to pay in Crowns to get the same achievements or tickets, without the fun of playing, while PC and console players will have all this freely ?
    Or is it the new trick the devs have found to limit Cyrodiil overpopulation during mid-year Mayhem ?
    --
    Soumar, Aldmeri Sorcer
  • Ruenn
    Ruenn
    Thank you for the communication @ZOS_AlexTardif. I look forward to the problem being resolved soon and continuing to explore everything ESO has to offer without the constant interruptions of crashes. I would recommend that in the future updates to these types of issues, that affect multiple community members, be issued on a weekly basis. This may help alleviate some of the disillusionment and disappointment many of us are feeling over the way this and many other Mac issues have been handled.

Once the problem is resolved, would it be possible to discuss a potential compensation for the players affected. Through no fault of ours, our gaming experience has been severely compromised for a month (at least, since the problem is not yet resolved.) We have missed our opportunity to fully participate in the New Life Festival (and Mid Year Mayhem if the problem is not resolved in a few days.) We are significantly limited in being able to do in-depth content, such as dungeons, trials, and battlegrounds. Even routine content such as daily quest and crafting writs is cumbersome to complete with the constant interruptions. Considering this is content we pay for (with ESO plus on a monthly basis), I certainly feel this is a reasonable request.
    Edited by Ruenn on January 10, 2019 3:17AM
  • keto3000
    keto3000
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you, @ZOS_AlexTardif for updating us here. I have received similar assurance today from ZOS support re my active ticket & crash report info that ZOS devs are investigating the data many of us have submitted and expect to have some positive update/fix very soon.

Please consider that this has affected the most basic gameplay for many of us and more regular communication from you on these forums, even if it's just to let us know you & dev team are seriously listening would help a lot!

Looking forward to positive resolution on this. Cheers.
    ********************************************************************************
    Hi everyone,

Edited by keto3000 on January 10, 2019 11:08AM
    “The point of power is always in the present moment.”

― Louise L. Hay
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the response. I hope you’re looking at PC crashing, too, because after re-downloading and reinstalling the game I’m still crashing constantly on a new WIN 10 machine.

Edited by DarcyMardin on January 9, 2019 12:33PM
This discussion has been closed.