Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Furniture market waaay too slow.

• thefixerupper
    After seeing the cost of me making it vs paying someone else to make it, I will jump right to someone else making it. Though I feel bad, because I know they are loosing gold when I buy them.
    There is no money at all in selling furniture.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Furniture is not bind on use. This plays a HUGE factor in their pricing. The supply will always ever be increasing, and value is only generated from the rarity of the item.

Also, not that many players do player housing. It's very expensive, and most players of this game really do not have the money to devote to this.

Bear in mind also that it's really only the top-end traders that can afford to buy houses with gold, the rest of us buy them with crowns (often from subscriptions) and many will buy them already furnished. With the restriction on furnishing slots and some recipes picked up casually as you go, there really isn't any reason to think about buying crafted stuff on the traders - least of all at silly prices in a borked economy that is based around a limited number of traders having most of the money in the game.
  • lientier
    lientier
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got lucky in the beginning of homestead I found th Hlalu Canopy bed.. in the beginnig I could sell it for a profitable price.. but after a short while not anymore. Anyway I need my mats. I still occasionally buy furniture.. but mostly small inexpensive stuff to spare my mats.. I spend more on achievement furniture.. but they are so overpriced..
    PC-EU @lientier
  • TaliColdwater
    TaliColdwater
    ✭✭✭
    I love decorating. honestly though, if i don't already have the blueprint, etc. then i search for it first to just craft it myself. if i can't find it, or if it ends up being cheaper for me to just buy what someone else has crafted, then i set the max price to 5k and search different stores until i find it. very rarely do i spend more gold than that on furnishings. :/
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    Vimora wrote: »
    Another example just came to mind that happened a few days ago. I found this really awesome-looking Nord carpet recipe that looked like the hide of a bear (head included), so I couldn't resist, I bought it for 100k. Dumb, I know. But I thought it looks unique enough, I can make some money with this.

I crafted one, next thing I know MMgives me something like this: 3 sales in 12 days, 3850g. I was shocked, that's about the mat cost of the item (being purple). So I just spent 100k on something that probably won't give me a cent return.

And I know what you're thinking. Why would crafters deserve profit? It's not like crafing is harder than pressing a button.
    • It takes time to find the pretty rare crafting mats at appropiate prices
    • It takes space to store them.
    • It takes trader space to post them.
    • It took time to level up my craft, plus many skill points to make it work.

I don't even know what I want to say, but this is frustrating.

I've been selling mostly blue/purple furniture in 4 diiferent guilds...just as a fun thing. I can spend up to 50K on a pattern and make maybe 1K over costs for each piece...no way is it profitable though. It is fun to look for some of the neater patterns though. I've sold quite a few of the bear rugs among other stuff.

Mats needed for furniture are being hoarded and sold at inflated prices. Dec wax and Mundane rune come to mind.

I'm only able to do this because I've been playing for over 3 yrs and am trying to whittle down my gold hoard. I was at 4 mill...now down to 2 mill or so...not including a lot of misc. worth another 2 mill?

Have been trying to reduce gold by entering the guild raffles...that doesn't work so well since I win the raffles enough that I get a lot back.

Hard drive is supposed to be going in my 10 yr old gaming box....so I'm moving to a new rig and other games.

I'm in the process of giving gold and mats etc. to the guilds I'm in....will still keep 1 mill or so and play the game now and then...so he thinks that is.

Will miss this game and all the weird players in it.... :'(
    I know nutting....
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The furniture market is different from the equipment market, because nobody actually NEEDS furniture. You can't play the game without weapons, armour, potions etc. so they, and the materials to make them, sell reliably.

Furniture is part of a cosmetic-only sub-game that players can completely ignore. You don't have to live anywhere. Your character can log off standing on a battlefield, and doesn't have to go home to do so. The players who get into housing are more likely to make their own, just to participate more on that aspect of the game. You'll probably find that most furnishing sales are of items that can't be self-made, but have to be bought from the crown store or merchants. If you paid out, and didn't use the item, you sell it, to recover your outlay. If you made it yourself, you might be more likely to keep it for a future house.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    Since I'm leaving the game fairly soon...if all goes well...I'll leave a few hints as far as my experience as far as making gold...though the amount I've made is not likely any kind of record.

* I gather stuff all the time...including chests and thieves guild chests...mostly because I like running cross-country. I do not limit myself to just the chests...since most of the chests actually cough up not much more than a few mat collections might...a lot of players just bypass the wood/metals/herbs etc....you'll see them on horses running their hunt the chest routes.

* Certain areas are good for farming mats...find them.

* Try to build up your crafting skills in order to take advantage of "value added" realities...the right crafted whatever can be worth a lot more than the basic mats.

* Glyphs sell well...though some players get the bright idea of undercutting the price...causing problems for everyone who sells them.

* Sometimes you can make special high level weapons and see a good profit.

* Jewelry is a tough expensive grind...but if you stick with it you can get certain goodies from the "broker" that will sell at a good price....you might be lucky to get your gold crafting expenses back.

* Some players do the dolmens and run the dungeons and don't farm or craft much at all....and get by. I've done the dolmens and some of the 4 man dungeons....just not my favorite thing. I've also participated in the wars...some fun there if you can stay out of the way and don't mind getting offed a lot. I've run 2 characters thru the main quests...have 2 other characters that I've played...maybe 4 or 5 mules to hold stuff.

* This game has a lot of options...everyone is playing thier own version of the game...after over 3 years I still find interesting things to do...probably too many. I've just gotten tired of the higher levels of stress required to do some of them....so I mostly just do the fun stuff.
    I know nutting....
  • trowlk
    trowlk
    ✭✭✭✭
    in the couple of years I played this game I learned this:

Most players prefer to learn the recipes instead of selling them.
    Weeks ago I was able to sell a Khajiit Skooma Bubbler recipe for a lot of gold, even if I don't own it.
    Luckily for me, I'm in a very friendly Housing Guild and they gladly helped me to craft one as long as I provide the materials.

This is my conclusion:

You either learn the recipe and have a very slow (or non existant) income from it or sell it right away for gold.
    The bright side of learning them is that you will be able to provide the service to your friends.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When housing first launched, I think the furniture market was pretty good, as many players didn't have the plans or the mats to make things themselves. I bought a lot of furniture at the beginning, as well as a lot of plans, until I realized how good of a deal the Hlaalu furnishing documents were (at 10 vouchers). But, the drop rate was bad, with Wood Elf and Nord, e.g. dropping far more frequently than Redguard. They fixed that drop rate, but only after they raised the price to 25 vouchers.

I think the next boon for furniture crafters was when Morrowind launched. Patterns were extremely rare, but the mats to make them were plentiful. So, if you managed to score a rare purple plan early, you were able to make a lot of gold selling the furniture, since it was hard to find the plans. I farmed the tombs religiously and only ended up with about 6 purple plans prior to the furnishing documents being introduced. Thus, I bought a lot of MW furniture from other players because it seemed I would never be able to find or afford the plans. Once the documents were introduced, though, the plans became plentiful. Plus, they were easy to make.

Then came Summerset, which initially had a relatively high drop rate of the plans, but the market was slow since Culanda Lacquer was so rare. They increased the drop rate of the Lacquers when they nerfed the main farming spot. But, I don't think the market on SS furnishings was ever as brisk as MW due to the relatively expensive style mat required. Dropping the requirement to 1 for green and blues helped, but they aren't as easy/cheap to make in bulk as the MW ones were.

Not sure about the Murkmire market. I don't see many plans for sale. I haven't shopped for furnishings in quite a while, so I don't really know what the market is right now for crafted. And, I've never crafted furniture to sell, only for my personal use.

As for myself, I prefer to find the plans and then craft for myself. But, there is a limit to what I will pay for the plans, and so many Redguard plans still go unlearned.
  • erliesc
    erliesc
    ✭✭✭
    trowlk wrote: »
    in the couple of years I played this game I learned this:

Most players prefer to learn the recipes instead of selling them.
    Weeks ago I was able to sell a Khajiit Skooma Bubbler recipe for a lot of gold, even if I don't own it.
    Luckily for me, I'm in a very friendly Housing Guild and they gladly helped me to craft one as long as I provide the materials.

This is my conclusion:

You either learn the recipe and have a very slow (or non existant) income from it or sell it right away for gold.
    The bright side of learning them is that you will be able to provide the service to your friends.

I've almost always learned the patterns/recipes...then if I find another copy I will sell that one. For awhile I hoarded the few blue/purple recipes I found that I already knew...to reduce competition. Kind of pointless though if you can't sell that many anyway.

I've stopped paying so much for furniture mats....just trying to reduce stuff I have now.

For 3 yrs it's been find stuff...learn stuff...hoard gold....now it's get rid of most of it. The weather has changed...storm rolling in...

Might try to get this game on the new rig...but will probably get into other games...so who knows?
    I know nutting....
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The higher end furniture requires an absurd amount of materials to craft. You'd have to sell a lot of pieces of furniture to make back what you spend for the recipe plus the material time/gold sink.

Why do I need mundane runes and alchemical resins to make a carpet? Makes no sense.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that many furnishing mats rose 5-6 times in price doesn't help either. If you are curious how much, some numbers pre Summerfall: Hearthwood @ 11g, Mundane Rune @ 60g, Alchemical Resin @ 3g, Decorative Wax @ 40g, Regulus @ 4g. People kept telling me that prices would normalize in time, well, I guess in a year's time it might be possible. And since all the good furniture pieces require at around 20-30 furnishing ingredients, the cost of the furniture really went up.

The purple furniture just doesn't pay off, because of ridiculous blueprint rarity and prices
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    When housing first launched, I think the furniture market was pretty good, as many players didn't have the plans or the mats to make things themselves. I bought a lot of furniture at the beginning, as well as a lot of plans, until I realized how good of a deal the Hlaalu furnishing documents were (at 10 vouchers). But, the drop rate was bad, with Wood Elf and Nord, e.g. dropping far more frequently than Redguard. They fixed that drop rate, but only after they raised the price to 25 vouchers.

I bought dozens of the sealed documents for 10 vouchers, then only opened them after the patch that fixed the Redguard drop rate. :)
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The furnishing market WAS good for a while, if you figured out what would sell; in categories where demand was high, stuff could be sold for a decent profit over crafting cost. But first people got all the basic furniture they needed. Then they lost interest in additional carpets, pillows, and bookcases. Then they filled up on knickknacks as well. And then I got out of the furniture selling business. :)
  • Reivax
    Reivax
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should just make an interface in the guild store where a person can browse all the potential pieces I can make. We can indicate whether we use my materials, or we use user's materials, and an amount of gold above that cost, for example.
    If person finds something they want, and they have the materials, the person pays the established gold amount, house takes a cut, takes his materials and voila sends the piece of furniture.
    Crafter can do a markup setting a flat fee and so on.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you selling it at a high price? I for one would rather find the recipe, and craft it myself than have to pay a high price for one time use. I have multiple houses, and don't feel like blowing my wad on 1 divider, Lower the price.

One of the reasons it's taking me forever to furnish my places: prices are overly inflated. I am a casual player, and have a maximum of about 100 to 200K in my bank at any one time. So buying expensive overpriced furnishings are not an option for me. I'd rather just craft it. Second, like you mentioned, any worthwhile recipe is impossible to come by. RNG is trash, where I've gotten 1000s of greens and blues, and occasionally a purple recipe comes along, like once a month. The RNG in this game is exhausting, and creating a superficial level of inflation.
    Edited by Mintaka5 on January 28, 2019 8:25PM
  • Tabbycat
    Tabbycat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mintaka5 wrote: »
    Are you selling it at a high price? I for one would rather find the recipe, and craft it myself than have to pay a high price for one time use. I have multiple houses, and don't feel like blowing my wad on 1 divider, Lower the price.

One of the reasons it's taking me forever to furnish my places: prices are overly inflated. I am a casual player, and have a maximum of about 100 to 200K in my bank at any one time. So buying expensive overpriced furnishings are not an option for me. I'd rather just craft it. Second, like you mentioned, any worthwhile recipe is impossible to come by. RNG is trash, where I've gotten 1000s of greens and blues, and occasionally a purple recipe comes along, like once a month. The RNG in this game is exhausting, and creating a superficial level of inflation.

People could probably sell furniture for less if, for example, a purple recipe didn't require 10 mundane runes that are selling for 300g each at the guild traders. That's 3000 gold right there that has to be taken into account when setting prices. And that doesn't even include the cost of the rest of the materials.
    Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
    0.016%
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tabbycat wrote: »

People could probably sell furniture for less if, for example, a purple recipe didn't require 10 mundane runes that are selling for 300g each at the guild traders. That's 3000 gold right there that has to be taken into account when setting prices. And that doesn't even include the cost of the rest of the materials.

Purple recipe? Like every third blue Alinor recipe (and 100% of structural Alinor recipes). And some greens. With current mat prices most blue alinor pieces cost around 4-4.5k to make, if you manage to find mats at their MM cost. Not to mention that these mundane runes often accompanied by Decorative Wax or Hearthwood, which are not cheap either