The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Another call to nerf Zaan

• rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tannips wrote: »
    I feel that the community was pretty outspoken when it came to the fact that we didn't want to see proc sets anymore. Viper, Red Mountain, Tremorscale - nerfing how strong they were was a great thing for pvp as they were clearly overperforming. With reintroducing proc sets such as Zaan, PvP truly feels like it took one step forward and another two steps back.

Problem with it is you don't even see it 90% of the time.

Big battles = invisible Zaan.
  • pdebie64b16_ESO
    pdebie64b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Got a 18k proc ftom Zaan on my Magblade this evening, wearing 5x Impreg, 5x Spinners, 2x Skoria, all impen, in no CP campain...
  • Rianai
    Rianai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prabooo wrote: »
    Rianai wrote: »
    Zaan has counters. Here is what I noticed when using it.

Sorcs use streak 1 time. Out of its range.

Doesn't always work if the enemy sits right on you when Zaan procs and spams gap closer. Had this happen last week - 2 streaks and Zaan unbroken, had to spam shields then because a 3rd streak would have get me killed ...

This is a good example. You had all the time to react properly, be it teleporting, shielding, heals, etc. Why ask for a nerf then?

Because it is ridiculous that i have to go full turtle mode for 5s while spending tons of resources to barely stay alive, just because some random proc happen to go off. It is stupid design.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a 18k proc ftom Zaan on my Magblade this evening, wearing 5x Impreg, 5x Spinners, 2x Skoria, all impen, in no CP campain...

Because zaan is a set it cannot deal Critical damage, therefore your impen and impreg will do absolutely nothing to it. Or everything seeing as there's no crit damage so you can pretend you mitigated all the crit damage
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • TheDoomsdayMonster
    TheDoomsdayMonster
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You do know that, as pertains dealing with Zaan or any Offense Proc Set, your build effectively isn't sporting a single Defensive Set?

Just some food for thought...
    Unyeilding Bias
    PSN TheLordofMurder
    PS4 NA
    Magicka Templar
    DC
    The Combat Physician: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKaqUVm_8JE&t=142s
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What's with this "don't nerf" campaign goin on the forums lately? People sound like my three year old son. Of course if something is broken or op you can't just buff the whole game untill everything is broken. Not even just talking about zaan but you anti nerf kids should make a logical argument and not just scream like children
    Wow, finally someone who gets it. I always have to laugh at this "why not just buff everything hurrr durrr". If ZOS would apply that logic we would be light attack 1 shotting people in the end.

As for zaan, it is still ridiculously broken. Like other people have mentioned, moving away from it isn't easy when the zaan user has even half a brain. They will cc you, gapclose you, snare you. Not to mention that when you get cc'ed you will be guaranteed to eat the entire first 2 ticks, taking more damage than any other monsterset could even do.

Even if you can move away from it, it is broken. A 2 pc set like this shouldn't offer such potent area denial. It is just way over the top. It would already be a lot more balanced if the proc was stationary. Like drop a totem that shoots a beam to the closest target within 8 meters. Just something else than the abomination that it is now.

Anyone who is defending this set probably cannot get kills otherwise and is just scared to death to see yet another cruth taken away. I tried this set and I killed people while I was on the floor, cc'ed. I mean what da F...
    Edited by Koensol on October 18, 2018 6:05AM
  • Prabooo
    Prabooo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    I tried this set and I killed people while I was on the floor, cc'ed. I mean what da F...

Then why did they stand there eating all the damage? no time for heals, shields? block? roll? did he just freeze there? Not being ironic, just curious

• Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dunno guys I seem to run into people all the time in non cp that can both withstand my Zaans and have enough burst to kill me. There are builds out there that can counter it.
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    Crixus8000 wrote: »
    Ender1310 wrote: »
    Nemeliom wrote: »
    I have 30k resists in no cp and I have had a zaan hit me 23k. That is way over the top. Not only does it do insane damage but it also goes through block and objects, I have had zaan hit me through roofs, walls, trees ect, where is the counter play ? Many say just run, ok lol even when you run you will still take at least half of zaans ticks, already doing massive damage, this is also difficult since most avarage players cc you then second it procs, and even if they don't nothing is stopping them from just following you, making the beam stay on you. So yes 0 counterplay, you can't los, you can't block and you can rarely run.

Everything you said is wrong. Half the ticks from zaan isn't the half of 32k, it barely is 8k aprox and from a DoT, which gives time to react.
    What you said about roofs, walls, trees, also false. It might have happened once or twice due to lag, but it doesn't work like that (I used zaan, so I can tell).
    Once it procs you can: run, los, cloak, stun back and run, etc. Toooooons of counters.

Seriously, I haven't died to zaan in a very long time. And if I do in the future, I won't call for a nerf on something no one uses.

Seems like everyone I fight knows how to counter it. DK's wings all day. Other speed builds run circles /roll dodge so often its hard to land light attacks. Only a couple of build it really counters. Those are the builds that are used to shielding themselves through everything and don't know/feel they shouldn't have to ever run. L2 run like every other class/build has to.

I don't have wings, I don't have cloak, I'm heavy armor in no cp, I can't afford to roll 3 times. So yes running is the only viable counter, but zaan doesn't render the user immobile, nothing stops you from just running after me so the beam stays, and nothing stops you from ccing me once it procs, and even if I do run and use los, the beam is still on me.

You just don't seem to admit that it ignoring block and los is broken. I'm not asking for a damage nerf, I just want to have the same counters as other things, zaan should not ignore block, or a damn wall, having run away, turn a corner and zaan go through a wall and my shield is pathetic.

didn't know that it ignored block. Is this intended? This may be bug. Nothing on the tooltip says that.
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    It eats glass cannons up. Not going to lie. Tons of builds that it doesn't eat up. That survive it just fine. If you spec in burst and ignore defense... its going to eat you. But that's the fun of pvp is finding a build that does both. I play in non CP even thought I am max. I am telling you that it isn't an auto win for me at all. If I were you I would figure out what those people are doing and do that. There are tons of people that have build that can withstand Zaans and do a ton of damage.
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭

As other posters have said nothing you listed impacts zaans. You should have cloaked it. You have a glass cannon build. There is no sustain there. Spinners gives you no sustain impreg gives you no sustain. You have to be able to shield multiple times/spam a healing skill. Do you use a resto staff? I bet not. Your a glass cannon basically. Replace Impreg with shackle breaker keep Skoria and use a resto staff/resto ult. Zaans procs go to your back bar and spam shield / use resto ult which should pretty much always be up. Guarentee you with stand the Zaans proc. Make sure your Magick regen is high enough to sustain use Atro stone instead of Apprentice...you have to sacrifice some damage but that's what pvp is. You continue being glass your going to break.
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭

And I am sorry to criticize you but your a magblade. Your main defenses are shields and cloak. None of which Impreg helps you with. Shields can't be critted and cloak gets you out of damage. Sustain would be the key for you the ability to shield spam/cloak spam until you can go on the offensive when safe to do so.
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno guys I seem to run into people all the time in non cp that can both withstand my Zaans and have enough burst to kill me. There are builds out there that can counter it.

There are tons of people that have build that can withstand Zaans and do a ton of damage.

You are seeing this wrong though. Just because someone can survive something does not mean it is balanced, it still does insane pressure with 0 counterplay as you can't los or block it.

I'm not saying zaan is auto win, but it is overperforming. In a group or outnumbered fight and your taking too much pressure you need to back off and use los or block, zaan will go through these things and kill you, zaan with how damaging it is (by far the most damaging set in the entire game) should not go through block, walls, trees, ceilings or whatever else you decide to use to try and block it.

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It shouldn't go through Los and I thought it no longer did on Xbox, however the range could be giving that impression

Also all beams have been wacky with LoS, most still get a tick or two off when it should be broken.

Zaan, it is extremely strong.

It's the highest dps addition a PvE build can add in helm form
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I tried this set and I killed people while I was on the floor, cc'ed. I mean what da F...

Then why did they stand there eating all the damage? no time for heals, shields? block? roll? did he just freeze there? Not being ironic, just curious
    This particular person tryharded me in a BG. I was in pariah + vampire so he spammed execute and got rekt by zaan while at it. This says enough though, that an opponent that has the upper hand needs to completely back down or go 100% defensive in order to survive the damage from zaan. No other set does this.
  • TheValar85
    TheValar85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No thats enough Stop calling for another nerf, deal with your in game issues with logic and strategy instead of keep calling for more nerfs. or quit playing the game already.
    GM Of The Lusty Argonian ERP
    GM Of THe Alessia Dynasty PVP Guild
    GM Of The Guardians Of MiddleEarth
    My Smiling Emperor Profile Picture: https://ibb.co/bsOM6n
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TheValar85 wrote: »
    No thats enough Stop calling for another nerf, deal with your in game issues with logic and strategy instead of keep calling for more nerfs. or quit playing the game already.

Hmm well I can't run from it as I will get cc'd, I can't block it because it ignores block, I can't use an object to break the beam because it goes through everything....I'm out of ideas, I guess I will just soak up the 20k+ dmg that the dumb set does.

• TheValar85
    TheValar85
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmm well I can't run from it as I will get cc'd, I can't block it because it ignores block, I can't use an object to break the beam because it goes through everything....I'm out of ideas, I guess I will just soak up the 20k+ dmg that the dumb set does.

okay what class do you have wich is struggle so hard against zaan?
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play stamsorc but class doesn't really matter because zaan should NOT ignore block and objects, if I roll behined a tree the beam shouldn't go right through it. And please don't tell me to use streak lol, streak is very clunky and has a few issues, and even so it would cost me 2-3 streaks to escape it, and that's only if I don't get cc'd.

• Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol, you can smell the fear in this one :D
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol, you can smell the fear in this one :D

Just geared and started playing my Warden. BG's all day for an embarrassing 8 hours straight. Zero problems with Zaan's. So that's three classes that I have no problem against zaan users: Dragon knight (Wings hard to even land a light attack) Nightblade (cloak/resto shield/resto ultimate) Warden (healing trees slash major minor ward/Vigor/forward momentum/Bloodspawn).

Zero problem. In fact I am kind of owning them. Not trying to trivialize your issues vs Zaans. Also aware of the sample size issue. Just giving a perspective and maybe hope that you can come up with a build that can counter the Zaans.

• Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭

This particular person tryharded me in a BG. I was in pariah + vampire so he spammed execute and got rekt by zaan while at it. This says enough though, that an opponent that has the upper hand needs to completely back down or go 100% defensive in order to survive the damage from zaan. No other set does this.

I don't see how that could happen to me. If I am wearing paper machete maybe.
  • Ender1310
    Ender1310
    ✭✭✭✭
    My honest opinion. I spend so much time and effort and end game gold creating a good build for pvp. One that fits playstyle has defense and can kill.

If you build for damage and burst only there are so many things in this game that will eat you. I have been there done that. I see some people stating their defensive sets that don't help against any proc sets as they don't crit.

I see so many people that have 70K weapon damage and can pew pew and blow people up. Your gonna get eated by Zaans. Wear some shackle breakers/wear another set that gives both sustain and damage/come up with an ult gen build. so many of them and so many different classes that I run and they don't have an issue with Zaans procs.

My honest opinion. I stopped playing my Mag NB that uses Zaans. Don't really have a horse in the race as I have one of every class and so many different builds. I am not scared of losing Zaans at all I will switch to something else. Getting a little tired of having to constantly shift because someone else is wants it changed. I will BG some more today if Zaans alone eats me up I will let you know honestly and without prejudice.
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ender1310

I get what your saying, and it's good advice but still incorrect when it comes to the issue of zaan. I can survive zaan, in 1v1 I can go defensive and they won't kill me. It's not about building to survive it, being able to survive something is NOT countering it. in 1vx or outnumbered fights you will not survive that much pressure when a zaan is added into the mix.

My main point that I keep saying is that zaan should not ignore block and los. Other beam attacks do very high damage, but can be blcoked to help absorb some damage or you can use an object to break line of sight, they are both counters, mainly using los.

Zaan basically ignores it's counters, that is not good skillful gameplay, it's basically someone just taking 20k+ dmg from it and just being forced to turtle up, nothing else in the entire game does this, it is the hardest hitting thing in the entire game and has 0 counters, that is not good balance.
    Edited by Crixus8000 on October 22, 2018 6:27PM
  • Nemeliom
    Nemeliom
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ender1310

I get what your saying, and it's good advice but still incorrect when it comes to the issue of zaan. I can survive zaan, in 1v1 I can go defensive and they won't kill me. It's not about building to survive it, being able to survive something is NOT countering it. in 1vx or outnumbered fights you will not survive that much pressure when a zaan is added into the mix.

My main point that I keep saying is that zaan should not ignore block and los. Other beam attacks do very high damage, but can be blcoked to help absorb some damage or you can use an object to break line of sight, they are both counters, mainly using los.

Zaan basically ignores it's counters, that is not good skillful gameplay, it's basically someone just taking 20k+ dmg from it and just being forced to turtle up, nothing else in the entire game does this, it is the hardest hitting thing in the entire game and has 0 counters, that is not good balance.

Since you posted this I tried zaan again. Believe me, it doesn't go through walls or trees, you can counter it in a sec by moving fast on one direction (opposite from player). It's counter really easy, and I'm a dk with talons and petrify.
    Of course I can still kill many players, but so can they kill me.

What is more balanced, for Xv1 to kill that one? Or 1vX killing and survinvg the X?

If you insist on bugs, I volunteer to record gameplay with you with trees and walls between us and see if what you say is correct. Honestly this doesn't happen to me.
    Edited by Nemeliom on October 22, 2018 7:45PM
    Baradur Morker - Level 50 Bosmer Nightblade
    Le-Duck - Level 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Boom-Stormer - Level 50 High Elf Sorcerer
    Nemeliom the Great - Level 50 Redguard Warden
    Crazy Little Maggie - Level 50 High Elf Templar
  • TheValar85
    TheValar85
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I play stamsorc but class doesn't really matter because zaan should NOT ignore block and objects, if I roll behined a tree the beam shouldn't go right through it. And please don't tell me to use streak lol, streak is very clunky and has a few issues, and even so it would cost me 2-3 streaks to escape it, and that's only if I don't get cc'd.

and a stam sroc dsoent know how to rapid manuver or how to steark? hurricane run? basicly every sorc have that skill. and Zaan only works in 8 meter if you steark you will be way away from tthat....
    Edited by TheValar85 on October 22, 2018 7:45PM
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ender1310

Since you posted this I tried zaan again. Believe me, it doesn't go through walls or trees, you can counter it in a sec by moving fast on one direction (opposite from player). It's counter really easy, and I'm a dk with talons and petrify.

What is more balanced, for Xv1 to kill that one? Or 1vX killing and survinvg the X?

I have never, ever broke zaan beam by moving behined an object, every time zaan is on me, I instantly go to los and the beam goes through walls all the time and does full dmg. And no you can't just zoom in one direction because unless the user has disabled movement nothing is stopping them from just following you, it's pretty simple. And of course snares exist or they can just cc when it procs. It should be blockable and break when an object is breaking line of sight. No idea why it ignores the 2 things that should help counter it.

• TheValar85
    TheValar85
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ender1310

I have never, ever broke zaan beam by moving behined an object, every time zaan is on me, I instantly go to los and the beam goes through walls all the time and does full dmg. And no you can't just zoom in one direction because unless the user has disabled movement nothing is stopping them from just following you, it's pretty simple. And of course snares exist or they can just cc when it procs. It should be blockable and break when an object is breaking line of sight. No idea why it ignores the 2 things that should help counter it.

okay so it hase been clarified you cant play as a stam sorc whiel you ahev anresnal of fast moving out of the 8 meter range and here now you call for nerf.

It is interesting to see how many nerf waves hase already been done cos people simply dont know what skils tehir class have lol and tehy call for nerf. :D nice how about play withs kyrim where you can be in god mode all the time and stop runing an mmorpg with these nosnense excuses?
  • Nemeliom
    Nemeliom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Counters:
    Dk: talons and move 8 meters sprint.
    Sorc: streak, hurricane sprint.
    Nb: cloak, image
    Warden: I don't really know, I don't play it.
    Templar. Jabalin and move. Tons of heals, sprint.

I will try recording a duel with someone and use both walls and trees.
    Baradur Morker - Level 50 Bosmer Nightblade
    Le-Duck - Level 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Boom-Stormer - Level 50 High Elf Sorcerer
    Nemeliom the Great - Level 50 Redguard Warden
    Crazy Little Maggie - Level 50 High Elf Templar
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ender1310

okay so it hase been clarified you cant play as a stam sorc whiel you ahev anresnal of fast moving out of the 8 meter range and here now you call for nerf.

It is interesting to see how many nerf waves hase already been done cos people simply dont know what skils tehir class have lol and tehy call for nerf. :D nice how about play withs kyrim where you can be in god mode all the time and stop runing an mmorpg with these nosnense excuses?

Lol yeah my 10% move speed makes me stop time because I move so quick, can't beleive I didn't use that mega, super speed to fly across the map when zaan is hitting me through walls and trees. I Have tried all to counter zaan, I tried streak, I did 2 in a row and it was still hitting me, 3 streaks on stamsorc is not going to work lol. I tried speed, and just get cc'd or they just follow me, because you know everyone can move too right ? and like I said about a million times, I tried using los and block, they both don't do a damn thing.

Edited by Crixus8000 on October 22, 2018 7:54PM