Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The Game Is Too Hard For New Players!

• Pops_ND_Irish
    Pops_ND_Irish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too Hard ?? hehe
  • Marcusito
    Marcusito
    ✭✭✭
    It can feel that way in the beginning. Dodge roll, blocking, and other mechanics take some time to get accustom to. It gets easier. I can solo most world bosses, werewolf form seems really good for soloing.

Can’t wait until you try Mealstrom Areana. Now that brings the pain if you are not ready.
  • Mintaka5
    Mintaka5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's funny you mention this, because yesterday while waiting for undaunted dungeon queue in Summerset, I dequeued several times to offer help to some low levels that were attempting to do some quests there. They were grateful for my help, but each of them mentioned how difficult overland quests were that involved bosses. If you're bored then the best thing for you to do is do something fun. ZOS will get the hint sooner or later.
  • AuldWolf
    AuldWolf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to bring this back because this (along with ham-fisted balance changes, mistreatment of werewolf players, the ground porridge, and other issues) was one of the reasons I had on my Quitting List. When that filled up, I just dropped the game like a bad habit. I haven't looked back, honestly. Aside from the writing, it's... really not that good. Divinity Original Sin II put things in very, very stark elucidation.

It isn't so much that it's hard -- DOS2 is hard -- but that it's cheap, gimmicky, poorly balanced, and badly designed. Casual players can't even settle on a fun concept build before the devs are breaking something again. I was playing on a much higher difficulty of DOS2 and enjoying myself and it really made me think of ESO.

The quest bosses are a fantastic example. Are they hard? Sort of. I mean, yes, but not because they're actually challenging. They're hard because they cheat. Same with the world bosses. I died to quest bosses a whole bunch when testing out concept builds. That's just not fun. That isn't fun for anyone. I finally settled on a fun concept of a Templar duo with my partner that sated both our concept desires and our ability to survive. Then ZOS broke it.

This is the thing. In a well designed game, concept builds would be viable and balance patches wouldn't upset them. They'd focus on what the issues are. ZOS has two approaches they could be using for balance: 1.) They could fine tune tweak very slowly over a long period of time to give casual players the chance to adjust to the changes along the way, 2.) They could opt for a system of counters instead of ham-fisted nerfs. For example, Rune Cage? Instead of just running it through a random number generator to ruin everyone's day, they could've just had it so another ability, one that isn't used much, has a fancy, shiny new effect which can reduce the time Rune Cage lasts for and the damage it does. This leaves "nerfing" harmful abilities up to other players and makes it more a game of skill.

Sadly, ZOS is ZOS. I'm glad I left when I did. It's funny, really, because DOS2 is aaaaall about the approach of balance through counters. I found that hilarious when I got around to playing it. This counters that, this buffs that, and so on. It's like ZOS tried to do that with synergies but synergies are so half-arsed by comparison that they might as well not be there. It's sad, really. I like the writing of ESO but it's not worth the pain of actually playing it.

I'm glad to not be fighting those cheap-arse quest bosses any more.

ESO could be such a good game in the hands of the right developer.