Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The Game Is Too Hard For New Players!

Klixen
Klixen
✭✭✭
I'm a new player, but I don't know how much longer I'll keep playing. This game is just too hard and punishing for new players.

As an example, I've never before played a game that killed me in the starting tutorial (which is what happened to me when I faced the first quest boss).

This game is brutal!

But don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about normal mobs like wolves and bandits, they're fine. No, I'm talking about quest bosses. They're impossible!

Well, to make a long story short, it slowly began to dawn on me that I needed the best gear I could get (even at level 5). Nothing else mattered, not my class, not my skills, nothing! All that matters is my gear. It's the single most important thing in the game. Without good gear, the game is unplayable!

But how was I supposed to get good gear? I couldn't craft or buy it (there's no low level gear for sale in the Guild Traders).

Well, I thought I'd found the answer. I discovered that locked chests in the starter zones dropped pieces of the 'Armor of the Trainee' set. So for the next few hours I did nothing but farm chests. And I did it! I managed to find 5 'Heavy' pieces of the set.

OMG! The difference it made was game changing. I felt like a God! I could solo anything!

I figured I had this thing beat. Every few levels, I'd just go back to the starter zones, farm some more chests and keep my armor up to date. I planned to do this all the way up to level 50.

But the game had other ideas. At level 20, the set simply stopped dropping. No matter how many chests I opened. Not a single piece!

It was time to start crafting (whether I wanted to or not).

So that's where I'm at now. My leveling has slammed to a stop. For over a week now I've done nothing but craft. I haven't killed a single mob or completed any quests. The whole game is on hold until I can craft a new set of armor. And to be honest, I'm bored out of my mind.

The thought of endlessly grinding out my crafting levels (just so I can continue to play) is horrifying. I just want to play the game!

But after only a couple of weeks, I'm completely burned out and exhausted. There has got to be a better way than this!
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, this game is pretty trivial in terms of quest boss difficulty op so something might be wrong with your build but thats ok as you new. what class are you and what weapons are you using? Do you have a self heal? Quest gear should be fine when questing and if your dying to quest bosses something is up.did you spend your attribute points?

Do you have all your skill slots filled in or are you just bow light attacking things to death? Many of the new players I see end up only light attacking and one skill and that's it.
    Edited by Aliyavana on March 11, 2018 9:35AM
  • Yakidafi
    Yakidafi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh I remember dying to a goblin or was it a rat in tes arena from the starting dungeon wondering how I would ever get out of that dark maze alive. Long story short I beat the game after a while. :p
    Moons and sands shall be your guide and path.
    PC EU/NA
  • Fang_of_Lorkhaj
    Fang_of_Lorkhaj
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too hard huh. Lmfao you don't know what hard is my friend. Let me tell you what hard was, Veteran Rank 16. Every character you make had to do the grind. Not this LVL 50 and (poof) done crap. You new players have it easier than the veteran players. The game has been modified and tuned to spoon feed the "new player base" while slapping the veteran player in the face for all their hard work. The game is at its easiest it's ever been. Hell, you can even solo all craglorn now! That's how much they watered the difficulty down for you new players. Back in the day you needed a group or gtfo.

This forum is just a get good thread.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dolmen can be helpful in obtaining level suitable gear.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Royaji
    Royaji
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear has no relevance at your level. Slot a self-heal or even equip a resto staff on your back bar and you will be ok with any quest boss you can find.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it anything like setting Unreal Tourney to Godlike?
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gear shouldn't be mattering that much, even in the early levels. Like others have said, if you tell us your class, and what kind of weapons and such you're using, we can give you some advice on staying alive. Some who read this will probably send you some money or gear to help out with too if you say what platform/server you're playing on (PC/Xbox/ps4, NA/EU)
  • WakeYourGhost
    WakeYourGhost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What exactly are you doing? Trying to solo World Bosses?
  • Sigma957
    Sigma957
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too make this game easier is to find a guild that will accept new players and are willing to help you in gear, food/drink buffs etc and maybe help in grinding a few levels out. If you are on PC/NA send me a message or mail me and I will put you in the a giulld,craft some gear and food to help you along :smile:
  • 117Dios
    117Dios
    ✭✭✭
    Quest bosses need to get their attacks blocked, interrupted or dodged or they hit hard. Which is fair, they are, after all, bosses.
    Are you sure you are not just swinging your sword standing still?
    Most zones of the game could be literally completed naked and without weapons, if done good
  • Zagnut123Zagnut123
    Zagnut123Zagnut123
    ✭✭✭✭
    Too hard huh. Lmfao you don't know what hard is my friend. Let me tell you what hard was, Veteran Rank 16. Every character you make had to do the grind. Not this LVL 50 and (poof) done crap. You new players have it easier than the veteran players. The game has been modified and tuned to spoon feed the "new player base" while slapping the veteran player in the face for all their hard work. The game is at its easiest it's ever been. Hell, you can even solo all craglorn now! That's how much they watered the difficulty down for you new players. Back in the day you needed a group or gtfo.

This forum is just a get good thread.

A new player that has no clue of the games mechanics or anything really comes to forums for help and you thinks it's best to insult them. Are you wanting to drive ppl away before they have the chance to learn I'm sure you weren't the god of eso you think you are wen you started. Ffs this community some times.

To OP tho what's your class and race. And skills your using?
  • Rainraven
    Rainraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure I died to that boss the very first time too, or nearly. I didn't know to get the hell out of the way of his heavy attack. :D

The way the battle leveling works gear really shouldn't be an issue for you yet. Later, yes definitely. It probably is your attributes and build, try to find a nice person to talk to about combat. (Like the people commenting above me!) Things that are obvious to people who have played for a while aren't actually made all that clear for new people, and it may be a really easy fix.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Git gud" aside...
    1) What's your class and race? Which skills are you using? have you tried the build suggested by skill advisor tool?
    2) Do you have a self-heal? This is very important.
    3) Gear isnt very important while youre still leveling, just make sure that its around your level, so if you're level 20, dont use level 5 items, they lose their stats as you outlevel them.
    4) Dont forget to use food or drinks. You can buy them at guild traders, theyre very cheap. There are scaling drinks that add a decent amount of stats and recovery: Dubious Camoran Throne for stamina-based builds or Witchmother's potent brew for magicka builds. Theyre around ~100 gold each and the buff lasts 2 hours, so its pretty nice. To find them in guild traders menu, select "drink" and "epic quality" (purple).
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • 117Dios
    117Dios
    ✭✭✭
    Ffs this community some times.

This is almost as bad as the gitgud guy, don't do this stuff mang
  • Dragath
    Dragath
    ✭✭✭✭
    Klixen wrote: »
    I'm a new player, but I don't know how much longer I'll keep playing. This game is just too hard and punishing for new players.

As an example, I've never before played a game that killed me in the starting tutorial (which is what happened to me when I faced the first quest boss).

This game is brutal!

But don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about normal mobs like wolves and bandits, they're fine. No, I'm talking about quest bosses. They're impossible!

Well, to make a long story short, it slowly began to dawn on me that I needed the best gear I could get (even at level 5). Nothing else mattered, not my class, not my skills, nothing! All that matters is my gear. It's the single most important thing in the game. Without good gear, the game is unplayable!

But how was I supposed to get good gear? I couldn't craft or buy it (there's no low level gear for sale in the Guild Traders).

Well, I thought I'd found the answer. I discovered that locked chests in the starter zones dropped pieces of the 'Armor of the Trainee' set. So for the next few hours I did nothing but farm chests. And I did it! I managed to find 5 'Heavy' pieces of the set.

OMG! The difference it made was game changing. I felt like a God! I could solo anything!

I figured I had this thing beat. Every few levels, I'd just go back to the starter zones, farm some more chests and keep my armor up to date. I planned to do this all the way up to level 50.

But the game had other ideas. At level 20, the set simply stopped dropping. No matter how many chests I opened. Not a single piece!

So that's where I'm at now. My leveling has slammed to a stop. For over a week now I've done nothing but craft. I haven't killed a single mob or completed any quests. The whole game is on hold until I can craft a new set of armor. And to be honest, I'm bored out of my mind.

The thought of endlessly grinding out my crafting levels (just so I can continue to play) is horrifying. I just want to play the game!

But after only a couple of weeks, I'm completely burned out and exhausted. There has got to be a better way than this!

are you playing on pc-eu? if so, reply with your account name and i'll send you a friend request in game. you'll get some gold, gear and in-depth explanation about everything you need and want to know.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragath wrote: »

This game is brutal!

are you playing on pc-eu? if so, reply with your account name and i'll send you a friend request in game. you'll get some gold, gear and in-depth explanation about everything you need and want to know.

This is a good way to respond. The L2P type stuff is utterly useless and only adds to the frustration.

Good on you, @Dragath

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do quests with gear 10 - 15 levels under me. Gear is not the problem. Once you learned to block, bash, dodge roll, everything will be a lots easier.
    Edited by TheDarkShadow on March 11, 2018 10:41AM
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Git gud" aside...
    1) What's your class and race? Which skills are you using? have you tried the build suggested by skill advisor tool?
    2) Do you have a self-heal? This is very important.

for stam dps dk, the self heal comes in a little later than would be nice but its def got one. i ended up spending a bunch of points that it didnt ask me to on my racials though which boosted hp and stam (i did that at lvl 31). So while it helps new players, not as much as it could.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ...and too easy for endgame players. Yeah, scaling is somewhat screwed.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to be rude, but you're doing something fundamentally wrong. This game is a complete faceroll for new players
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Gear by itself is not the answer. You need to have a solid goal in mind and work toward it/

Stamina or magicka build? Pick one and stick to it - don't try to do both. Later on you'll focus more on gear that gives you + weapon power or + spell power but when you're starting out it's better to focus on stamina or magicka because it will up your damage in a way similar to the + powers but it will also give you large pools to work with while you're still trying to figure out resource management,

Either way... travel to the second full zone for your alliance (or any alliance) and grab the + magicka or + stamina mundus stone, whichever you're going for.

Also, contrary to what you may think heavy is for tanking or PVP and will gimp your resource regen. Yes it will mitigate more damage but your focus should be on killing them before they can damage you: play offense not defense. For questing or group dungeons early on your goal should be 7 pieces of light for magicka or 7 medium for stamina. The jewelry should also enhance either your magicka or stamina,

Just with regular questing, chests, dolmens and a sprinkling of group dungeons you should be able to get enough drops to get your chosen pool in the 35-40K range after eating the appropriate blue food for your spec. 35K+ is the sweet spot for damage dealing. Just keep an eye on on magicka or stamina on the stat panel on the left side of the inventory screen when you hover your mouse over new drops you're thinking of using to replace what you're wearing and let that guide your replacement choices. (BTW, this is the other reason why you want to stick to light armor for magicka or medium for stamina: As a rule, the bonus that set pieces give you for light up your magicka and spell power and for medium armor your stamina and weapon power - heavy will generally just up your health and damage mitigation.)

For weapon replacements look also at the + weapon power (stamina) or + spell power (magicka).

Do the above and you can keep playing with 0 crafting. Crafting is an option that you may or may not enjoy but it's 100% optional while leveling.
    Edited by Iselin on March 11, 2018 11:01AM
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dolmen can be helpful in obtaining level suitable gear.

Yeah this works out really well. When I am leveling a new character early I run some dolmen whenever I think my armor is holding me back and just put on whatever I get doing that.

Once I am comfortable soloing the public dungeons (level depends on class) I use them to get the new armor I need. I'm basically an average player when it comes to DPS because my fingers refuse to listen to my brain and other than world bosses I get along fairly good on a new character.

As an aside don't feel the need to rush in leveling a character. There is a lot of content in this game to be enjoyed. Do some side quests and guild quests in between the main quests. Explore the world, head off the beaten path.

And as others have mentioned this game is a lot more fun if you join a guild. Many guilds are glad to add new players to their roster and willing to help however they can.

THe game can seem overwhelming in the beginning but you will catch on fast.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Gargath
    Gargath
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It is. And it's called social guilds :).
    Join up to 5 and stop playing solo.
    Make friends!
    Offer some of your time to them, do some normal dungeons, learn from more experienced players - watch and ask.
    Ask them about anything related to skills, armors, progression, most people are willing to share their knowledge for free.
    Guilds have "built-in" master crafters, they can craft you powerful gears and because for low levels the cost of materials is very low, they should do it for free or a small fee you could afford.

A tip for good gears:
    If you play stamina - ask guildie for a free craftable Hundings' Rage set - 7 pcs.+ weapons both bars.
    If you play magicka - ask guildie for a free craftable Julianos set from Wrothgar - 7 pcs.+ weapons both bars.

Why all gears in a same set? Because then you may go to a certain zone and get another dropped set in jewellery and 2 armor items that will replace the craftable set. Then you have 2 full sets around your lvl and are powerful even on low level and without Trainee :).

If you are PC EU whisper me in game and I'll make the set for you for free.
    Eyes front, focus on fun and don't give up :).

Last, but not least, recently I found myself playing on lvl 26 in a Purple Julianos set of lvl4, and I had no issues with survival. Just like it was already told, it's not so much about sets but experience and abilities.
    Mind that you need at least a single self healing skill if you wish to stay alive while playing solo. I've seen many newbies playing DualWield relying only on Bloodthirst and dying and then raging for the game. I was also a victim of this thinking once :).
    Edited by Gargath on March 11, 2018 11:14AM
    PC EU (PL): 14 characters. ESO player since 06.08.2015. Farkas finest quote: "Some people don't think I'm smart. Those people get my fist. But you, I like."
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You can level solo all the way to level cap using nothing but grey/green quest reward gear.

The biggest factor in this game is not gear - it is how well you understand the strengths and weaknesses of your class/build.

The first 5 levels are the really big learning curve, watch for telegraphs, get out of them, or block them, then counter-attack.

All The Best
    Edited by Gandrhulf_Harbard on March 11, 2018 11:06AM
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
  • jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you die during the tutorial its because your rotation is bad.
    "Yesterday while searching a barrel in vVoM I found a lemon. Best drop of the whole run."

Protect the weak. Heal the sick.
    Treasure the gifts of friendship. Seek joy and inspiration in the mysteries of love.
    Honor the Earth, its creatures, and the spirits. Use Nature's gifts wisely. Respect her power. Fear her fury.
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a new player, but I don't know how much longer I'll keep playing. This game is just too hard...
    It is not, it only seems that way at first!

I mean, I do recall how it was back in the days before battle levelling, when my very first character wandered straight out of coldharbour into a certain big bat on bleakrock, and died horribly.
    ...that was when I found out about the need to get good gear.

There days its so much easier, as every other quest reward if a gear piece for one of the area sets... and every area also has treasure chests that bring you gear pieces... dwelve minibosses that drop one piece... dolmen reward chests that have a piece...
    ...and best of all, you don't need to upgrade your gear that much anymore thanks to battle levelling! Thus you usually get by nicely on what you can easily find, and hardly need crafting at all if you so choose.

BUT:

The game is still punishing until you figure out how to properly drive your character.
    The basics:
    - Block the yellow sparkles!
    - Bash the red sparkles!
    - Dodge the red ground!
    - Heavy attack when the opponent is dazed!
    - Full power heavy attack when you need to get stamina/magica back, but not in melee when the opponent has a shield.

Then use your skills wisely, maxing and morphing them to support your character well, and don't be afraid to switch up your skill load to the fight at hand (some fights you will want more AoE skills, others more single-target skills, etc.)
    Keep a HP potion on a quickslot (unless you are a healer, then a MP potion may be more versitale)
    And learn the enemies typical attacks so you know what to do when!
    (And listen to the older players whine about how things used to be sooooo much harder back in the day of pre-nerf doshia or such...)
  • Gandrhulf_Harbard
    Gandrhulf_Harbard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You don't really have a "rotation" in the tutorial, you only have 1 or 2 skills.

The key is to avoid telegraphed heavy attacks, if you can block/interrupt them even better, then counter-attack.

The Morrowind New Player Tutorial does a better job of explaining this, but the original tutorial is OK as well.

All The Best
    Those memories come back to haunt me, they haunt me like a curse.
    Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse.
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once you figure out this isn't skyrim or WoW, you will start to grasp the concept of this game. When that happens, questing becomes too easy.
  • Bbsample197
    Bbsample197
    ✭✭✭✭
    ffs! wth is with this thread?? just helped another newbee for once? i thought eso community is alot better than any mmo community, thanks for proving me wrong, hes a new player!! you guys have also been there its not like you can beat VMA out of nowhere when you first played eso!

and talking about rotations and *** to a newbee player on a tutorial?! really a rotation on a tutorial?! are you even reading your own comment?

just hang in there OP, itll be best to ask in zone chat or join a guild to help you since forums have let you down
    Edited by Bbsample197 on March 11, 2018 11:28AM
  • essi2
    essi2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO is hard when you have no CP, but it's not too hard by any stretch.

You will get your ass handed to you from time to time, but that's because ESO despite its many flaws, is a game not a sandbox.
    "The Heritance are racists yes? Idiots. But dangerous, destabilizing racist idiots." - Razum-dar

"Wood Elves aren't made of wood, Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves" - M'aiq the Liar

** Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-EU) - Leyawiin Layabouts (PC-NA) **

*** https://www.youtube.com/@essi2 - https://www.twitch.tv/essi2 ***