Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

The Game Is Too Hard For New Players!

• JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ffs! wth is with this thread?? just helped another newbee for once? i thought eso community is alot better than any mmo community, thanks for proving me wrong, hes a new player!! you guys have also been there its not like you can beat VMA out of nowhere when you first played eso!

and talking about rotations and *** to a newbee player on a tutorial?! really a rotation on a tutorial?! are you even reading your own comment?
    If you die during the tutorial its because your rotation is bad.

just hang in there OP, itll be best to ask in zone chat or join a guild to help you since forums have let you down

While I agree some have not been very helpful others have posted some good advice. I found the game confusing at first and avoided guilds, but then I joined Lone Wolf Help and I learned a lot. I did have to stop trying to play it like it was Skyrim. This was my first MMO and I had to adjust to and embrace the social aspect.
  • VDoom1
    VDoom1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I completely understand that it is a bit overwhelming when you get a new game and start it up for the first time. So much to learn and discover. You obviously need to learn how to play as well. However, with patch 17 changing the leveling system, I do not see how it is "to difficult". On the contrary, feels quite simple. Back in 2014 at launch we hard to work for things. We did not get anything by leveling up. The leveling system now is yes very rewarding for new players, but also spoils you rotten. xD

Your new, I understand. The right skills, the right passives, right armor etc is still something your learning. But even the loading screens tell you, if something is to difficult do some other quest. Gain a few levels, get some new gear and then try again.

As a final tip, chose your skills with caution. Since you can only use 5 skills (until lvl 15) during combat so choose them wisely. Read about them, make sure they fit your weapon and your fighting style.

Your new, learn the game. Learn how to do things. Bosses are supposed to be a challenge. If you still come up short when fighting bosses, or dungeons etc then ask for help.
    We Fight For Cyrodiil.
    We fight for The Daggerfall Covenant.
    We fight for The Aldmeri Dominion.
    We fight for The Ebonheart Pact.
    We fight for Tamriel!
    CP 1200+
    Grand Master Crafter | Tamriel Hero
    Imperial Dragonknight
    Khajiit Necromancer
    Altmer Templar | Dunmer Nightblade
    Khajiit Nightblade | Argonian Dragonknight
    Altmer Sorcerer | Breton Nightblade
    Nord Warden | Dunmer Sorcerer
    Guild - Priests Of Hircine
    ESO Since 2014
    PC - EU
  • Ragnork
    Ragnork
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Got beaten to it. New player, rotation. Oxymoron.
    Edited by Ragnork on March 11, 2018 11:52AM
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To everyone belittling the OP: don't forget the difference that experience, CPs, and gear can make. I can remember wiping REPEATEDLY as a level 4 at the first quest boss in the Glenumbra castle when I returned to the game (pre-One Tamriel) after many years of MMO experience. I had to wait until I was level 7ish to try it again, even though the quest was supposed to be completed at level 4. I wasn't using any set gear at the time, and hadn't started crafting yet.

Also, yesterday I watched from a distance as a CP 50-ish character struggled with a group of four overland mobs. When the player was almost dead and clearly panicking, I swooped in to help with a single cast of LL and Blockade, and the mobs were dead in under a second. I had gold gear and 600 more CP than the other player, and it showed.
  • HighKinlady
    HighKinlady
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi! Not sure what you’re playing on but if you’re on Xbox NA send me a message and I can help you out with gear and questing . This game is a lot to take in but once you get into the swing of things it can be pretty fun.

Edit : my gt is High Kinlady. On mobile it doesn’t show signatures so just in case you’re on a phone .
    Edited by HighKinlady on March 11, 2018 12:04PM
    XB NA
    High Kinlady

PC : Kinlady

• red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When I first started the game I kept dying to everything until I learned the mechanics of blocking, dodging, staying out of stupid and the sustain. Most MMOS have a cooldown on abilities so it's easy to think ESO is all about spamming one button until the boss is dead. Keep trying! I put the game away after first 10-20 hours thinking it's awful. Month later I came back and never stopped! 2500 hours on the clock and this game still has a lot of value.
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voxicity wrote: »
    Not to be rude, but you're doing something fundamentally wrong. This game is a complete faceroll for new players

It's not. There are some mini bosses that are pretty hard when you don't know the mechanics or how to play this game. One example is the Goblin King who stole the Crown on Stros Mkai. The Goblin in the mine can be hard as well when you're not aware of how to bash or roll dodge.

I find it very amusing how veteran players keep saying this game is easy for newcomers when they can't even judge about it. One Tamriel turned some mini bosses into real a*h* enemies and if you haven't played starting right after OT don't say this game is easy for newcomers and they should l2p when they're missing the basics.

The regen nerf in Morrowind is another thing that makes the game even harder for newcomers. Your regens are abysmal the first levels and when you're stuck to a Stamina weapon and can't reg Magicka for your class skills (all of them cost Magicka and you can cast like 4 skills until your oom) it is even harder. For veterans it might be trivial but for newcomers it is not.
    Edited by Seraphayel on March 11, 2018 12:35PM
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not to be rude, but you're doing something fundamentally wrong. This game is a complete faceroll for new players

No, it isn't. Folks like you just don't seem to understand that there will be a variety of players; some disabled, some for whom an MMO is something completely new, some who just need a bit more time to grok everything that is on offer and/or needed when new to the game.

Seriously, we come in all sorts and it's really not helpful when someone is frustrated to basically pile on and say: Well, you suck.

Glad that so many in this thread get that and are being helpful. Good on 'em.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ha! A rotation...in the tutorial...
    What the hell is wrong with this forum?
    Real helpful...

Edit: made this comment when I read the post...glad to see I'm not the only one who thought how ridiculous it was.
    Ok...I now have some hope for this place.
    Edited by Kel on March 11, 2018 12:19PM
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game is literally the easiest mmo i have encountered till now
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »

Well, there are others who are not you...weird right? Almost like people are individuals and experience things differently....
    Edited by Kel on March 11, 2018 12:20PM
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

For those of us who've played a lot of MMOs and have experience in how the "work", yeah, it is relatively uncomplicated but not everyone has played many or even any. A fair number of ESO players are TESO fans who bought ESO because of the franchise.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jabrone77 wrote: »

Ha! A rotation...in the tutorial...
    What the hell is wrong with this forum?
    Real helpful...

Yeah, that was by far the funniest comment I've read in these forums in recent weeks... Silly noobs! How dare they die in the tutorial? They should be light attack weaving and parsing 30k DPS right out of the prison gate!
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Biased opinion is biased. Not everyone is a massive fan of multiple MMOs. This is my first and only MMO I have ever played. All the rest seem to be either guns and grenades or bikini armoured Korean schoolgirls with 20ft long hair quiffed to the gods! A lot of other MMOs that I would be interested in are so old now, that the graphic quality of them is giving me seizures! :lol:
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
  • ofSunhold
    ofSunhold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seraphayel wrote: »

It's not. There are some mini bosses that are pretty hard when you don't know the mechanics or how to play this game. One example is the Goblin King who stole the Crown on Stros Mkai. The Goblin in the mine can be hard as well when you're not aware of how to bash or roll dodge.

I find it very amusing how veteran players keep saying this game is easy for newcomers when they can't even judge about it. One Tamriel turned some mini bosses into real a*h* enemies and if you haven't played starting right after OT don't say this game is easy for newcomers and they should l2p when they're missing the basics.

The regen nerf in Morrowind is another things that makes the game even harder for newcomers. Your regens are abysmal the first level and when you're stuck to a Stamina weapon and can't reg Magicka for your class skills (all of them cost Magicka and you can cast like 4 skills until your oom) it is even harder. For veterans it might be trivial but for newcomers it is not.

Agree with this completely. More people chimed in to be helpful than to swing their... experience around though, that's a cheerful thing to see.

Don't give up, OP. It's a fun game and once things start really making sense you're going to be fine.
    Classes that don't need any class ability nerfs: Nightblades, Dragonknights, Sorcs, Templars, Wardens.
  • Aurielle
    Aurielle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's easy...once you understand it, have some experience with it, and gear yourself appropriately. I came to ESO after eight years of LOTRO, where I could basically sneeze at a group of monsters and watch them die while I prepared a cup of tea. ESO isn't a traditional MMORPG; it's an active combat MMORPG. There are no auto-attacks, no passive blocking, etc. If you're used to traditional MMOs, ESO combat takes some getting used to. I died a lot when I first started, and I was an end-game hard mode raid DPS/off-healer in LOTRO.
  • CompM4s
    CompM4s
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too hard huh. Lmfao you don't know what hard is my friend. Let me tell you what hard was, Veteran Rank 16. Every character you make had to do the grind. Not this LVL 50 and (poof) done crap. You new players have it easier than the veteran players. The game has been modified and tuned to spoon feed the "new player base" while slapping the veteran player in the face for all their hard work. The game is at its easiest it's ever been. Hell, you can even solo all craglorn now! That's how much they watered the difficulty down for you new players. Back in the day you needed a group or gtfo.

This forum is just a get good thread.

You had to bring up old painful stuff lol
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ffs! wth is with this thread?? just helped another newbee for once? i thought eso community is alot better than any mmo community, thanks for proving me wrong, hes a new player!! you guys have also been there its not like you can beat VMA out of nowhere when you first played eso!

and talking about rotations and *** to a newbee player on a tutorial?! really a rotation on a tutorial?! are you even reading your own comment?

just hang in there OP, itll be best to ask in zone chat or join a guild to help you since forums have let you down

The ESO Community in game is mostly good, but come to the forums and you'll find out where the real gems hang out. (not everyone but you people know who you are and should be ashamed of yourselves)
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • pattyLtd
    pattyLtd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just lack of experience.
    Took me ages to get a grasp of all the differemt parts of the game. Im still not sure i know it all i probably dont haha.
    In a way im glad i was so clueless because i would have most likely been overwhelmed otherwise.

What you need is some more playtime and the rest will come naturally..
    You are not doing anything wrong. We all died to bosses once. We just dont remember that after leveliing 10 toons.

Just pay attention to whats killing you in the death recap and try to counter it before youknkw it they will be dropping like flies. Sets help but only become important at high levels.
    English is not my native language, no grammar police please, tyvm
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started a new account on NA recently and perhaps its just knowledge as I found it so easy compared to first time round on EU.

Join a guild or group with some mates, be a big help
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP mentions in another thread that he or she is a disabled player who has difficulty using the keyboard and lots of skills. I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned here as it may have a strong bearing on the problems being experienced and other similarly disabled players may be able to give specific advice from their own experience.
  • Klixen
    Klixen
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! You folks are fantastic! I didn't expect this kind of response (especially as I was just having a big winge). I'm not even offended by the 'smart-arses', we all have our opinions :p
    BUT:

The game is still punishing until you figure out how to properly drive your character.
    The basics:
    - Block the yellow sparkles!
    - Bash the red sparkles!
    - Dodge the red ground!
    - Heavy attack when the opponent is dazed!
    - Full power heavy attack when you need to get stamina/magica back, but not in melee when the opponent has a shield.

I think you might have hit on the problem. I don't do any of that. But I may be unfairly blaming the game, when the main problem lies with me.

Unfortunately, I'm disabled and I have trouble using the keyboard. So I can only manage a few skills at a time. As for things like blocking and weapon swapping, it's extremely difficult for me. So I just stand there and slog it out with enemies.

As crazy as it sounds, it actually works, but it's heavily gear dependent. So if I can just keep wearing good 'set' armor, then I seem to do ok.

As for my class.

I'm playing an Orc, Magicka Templar (I know it's not optimal, but I love Orcs). But although I'm a Magicka user, I've built my character like a tank. This is because I find it very hard to avoid the hits, so my focus has been on Defense and Health.

I use 'The Lady' mundus stone (for Physical and Spell resistance).

I'm wearing 7 pieces of Heavy armor all enchanted with Max Health, my jewelry is all 'Arcane' with Magicka Recovery. I use an Infused Lightning staff (enchanted with Absorb Health) and I have a Restoration staff as my second weapon, but I never use it (as mentioned, I have trouble swapping weapons).

I actually play like a melee class. I run up to an enemy, slam down 'Elemental Blockade', then attack them with 'Puncturing Sweep' and Heavy Attacks. I have 'Breath of Life' slotted as my heal.

Yes, I kill very slowly, but so far, I've been able to roll with the punches (but that's because of the extra health that the armor set gives me. If I lose that, I know I'm dead!).

You guys have been incredible!

But although you've given me some brilliant advice, I'm not sure if it will work for me. Sadly, there's a big difference between somebody who has full use of their hands and my situation.

Are there any other disabled players here? What did you do? How did you build your character?

Again, big thanks to everybody who's replied and offered help. Yes, even to the 'nasties', at least you made me smile :) .
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently started a completely new account from scratch, no cp, no gold, no materials.
    I must say I was surprised at the difficulty and how hard some delve and quest mobs are hitting now.
    While my experience with the game makes it a bit easier I was quite shocked to actually die now and then. :D
  • Bbsample197
    Bbsample197
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    The OP mentions in another thread that he or she is a disabled player who has difficulty using the keyboard and lots of skills. I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned here as it may have a strong bearing on the problems being experienced and other similarly disabled players may be able to give specific advice from their own experience.

which add to the reason that people will jump to any conclusion and purposely drop the "git gud" and "its soo easy" situation since they can feel superior and dominant towards others who could not do what they can do
  • Klixen
    Klixen
    ✭✭✭
    I recently started a completely new account from scratch, no cp, no gold, no materials.
    I must say I was surprised at the difficulty and how hard some delve and quest mobs are hitting now.
    While my experience with the game makes it a bit easier I was quite shocked to actually die now and then. :D

This makes me feel a lot better. Yes, my disability is causing some of my problems, but it's not the sole reason for my struggles. If other 'able-bodied' players are finding the content too hard as well, then it's not just me at fault :) .
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This feels like a troll post.

If it isn't this is just more evidence that the game is marketing itself to people who simply are not suited for it.

@Klixen what class did you choose?
    Edited by Doctordarkspawn on March 11, 2018 1:54PM
  • Klixen
    Klixen
    ✭✭✭

If it isn't this is just more evidence that the game is marketing itself to people who simply are not suited for it.

No, I'm not a troll. But I have a horrible suspicion that you might be right. The game and I might just not be a good 'fit'.

I'll keep playing for now (because I finally have enough traits researched to make myself a set of 'Death's Wind' armor). So I'll see how I go from here.

The class I'm playing is a Magicka Templar.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Klixen wrote: »

No, I'm not a troll. But I have a horrible suspicion that you might be right. The game and I might just not be a good 'fit'.

I'll keep playing for now (because I finally have enough traits researched to make myself a set of 'Death's Wind' armor). So I'll see how I go from here.

The class I'm playing is a Magicka Templar.

That post was also before I read that you are somewhat disabled and you have my sincerest apologies.

But that is the class I basicly would have reccomended. It's true ESO requires by far more high motor skills than any of it's peers, to the point of requiring quite alot of ability in spinning plates at endgame. And that sucks, because it's a fun game.

Still. Try for a little while, but if it's not that good a fit for you, it may be time to move on.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ragnork wrote: »

Got beaten to it. New player, rotation. Oxymoron.
    Yes, however using one spamable and one aoe then you get that is kind of an rotation and 10x better than just doing LA.

However getting into an guild and getting some crafted sets and blue food help a lot.
    I remember making an warden on the morrowind pts, just dropped gear and food, died multiple times on some quest bosses
    Edited by zaria on March 11, 2018 2:06PM
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO_Blash wrote: »
    Klixen wrote: »
    I'm a new player, but I don't know how much longer I'll keep playing. This game is just too hard and punishing for new players.

Are you sure you're playing ESO?

LOL, Anyone remember when Dosha was actually "difficult" (Or doppelganger Lyris where you had to be over leveled by at least 5 and maybe then you survived :wink: )
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."