Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Shield Cast Time Removed

• Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If shield stacking is an over-performance issue, instead of nerfing shields to uselessness, why not just prevent stacking? Or apply the 40% HP cap only when stacking? My main is a MagSorc. I don't stack shields. But what makes it so much fun to play is the DPS you can generate while depending on your shield for a modicum of survivability. Your still pretty much a glass cannon to end game one-shots, but at least you can create considerable damage in the interim. Putting a 40% HP cap on them is a death knell to those of us who enjoy the current play style. Please come up with a more creative way to address whatever balancing issues the current shield design presents. Most of us are not running around stacking every shield we can find access to.
  • Grumpsorc
    Grumpsorc
    Soul Shriven
    Daus wrote: »
    The goal is to make the survivability of magicka comparable to stamina. Sucks doesn't it?

it sucks if u're bad.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    vovus69 wrote: »
    All this pvp whining is really too old in the tooth. There is a simple way - split pvp and pve. Make two separate lines of each skills - one for pve another for pvp, make two copies of Cyro amd modify pvp part to the hell. Just DO NOT TOUCH the pve.

-vovus

You do know these changes were aimed at PVE, right?
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Revokus
    Revokus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly the crit shield nerf is enough to make me not play mag sorc again anway.

Shields are already so weak in open world and for some reason zos made them weaker. So it's going to be great dealing with all the stamplar/ wardens and nb's that'll take off my shield 1 with attack.

Zos stated they don't want people to increase dmg and defence at the same time? Don't want glass cannons?

So what do they want? Everyone to run around in heavy armour builds and be unkillable? Or the heavy builds who have more dmg than my medium builds because of sets like ravager/ 7th/ fury etc...?

The game is designed to stack more defence with offence? Doesn't stacking crit + stats increase your dmg but also increase your healing? The more dmg i do the more healing i get.

Yeah seems like zos are clueless about their own game. I'll just stick to stamina from now on then it's not like i play is 80% of the time this patch anyway because it's just stronger.

They will not only take your shield but kill you at the same time lmao good old sub-db-finisher combo lol...no it’s not even funny.
    Playing since January 23, 2016
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »
    20% of max health pvp shield is quite trash

It should be 40% in both; otherwise yeah that would be trash.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    A straight nerf is always preferable... combat is fast and fluid.... I'd like to see cast times removed from more abilities.

Yeah, remove cast times for dark flare!!!! It already travels at the speed of a falling feather...
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lumsdenml wrote: »
    Narvuntien wrote: »
    A straight nerf is always preferable... combat is fast and fluid.... I'd like to see cast times removed from more abilities.

Yeah, remove cast times for dark flare!!!! It already travels at the speed of a falling feather...

LOL, if they did that, I might fire up my Templar for the first time in 2 years!
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • EldritchPenguin
    EldritchPenguin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    That 40% cap is pathetic and damn near useless if you are doing endgame PvE.

@Tasear You want data? Here's your data:

This is the kind of damage the mobs are doing in the new Blackrose Prison on vet. This isn't damage from bosses. These aren't special abilities or mechanics. These are just the standard attacks by standard non-boss enemies. Three hits, each doing over 8K, in the span of 1.1s:
    Screenshot_20180922_165038.png

Ask Wrobel what the hell he expects 40%-of-health shields will do when endgame PvE--vBRP, vCR HM, and other vet DLC content--has this much incoming damage.

Add more health one tank set would greatly add to your build. You can’t wear two DPS sets and a DPS Monster set and then complain that you are a glass canon.
    The problem with this is that 1) damage is the single most important thing in this game by a very wide margin and 2) with the way sets work in this game (individual items have minimal stats, sets are king, and 5 piece bonuses are sometimes more powerful than the 2-4 bonuses combined), it's really hard to put just a little bit of defense in a build without losing a lot of damage.

If the devs were to restructure the game to have a much smaller focus on DPS and a bigger focus on defense/individual survivability, then I'd agree with your statement. However, the game we have says that the best and easiest way to handle dangerous enemies is to burn them down as fast as possible. And that means that the best approach to the game is and always will be to stack as many damage sets on your character as you can physically fit, and therefore anything that can't afford to do that will forever be relegated to the dumpster.
    Edited by EldritchPenguin on September 27, 2018 11:26PM
    Lilelle Adlis - Dark Elf Dragonknight

Vaynothah Sailenar - Dark Elf Templar

Sherivah Telvanni - Dark Elf Sorcerer

Nephiah Telvanni - Dark Elf Nightblade
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive re rolled stamina. Fixed it for me
  • Massacre_Wurm
    Massacre_Wurm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Banana wrote: »
    Ive re rolled stamina. Fixed it for me

I made a bosmer-stamblade with "creative" name Rip Damage Shields. Problem solved. I dont care about shields anymore.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The_Camper wrote: »

This is the kind of damage the mobs are doing in the new Blackrose Prison on vet. This isn't damage from bosses. These aren't special abilities or mechanics. These are just the standard attacks by standard non-boss enemies. Three hits, each doing over 8K, in the span of 1.1s:

Ask Wrobel what the hell he expects 40%-of-health shields will do when endgame PvE--vBRP, vCR HM, and other vet DLC content--has this much incoming damage.

It's almost as if the hardest mode of what supposed to be the hardest 4 man content is supposed to be run with a healer. with HoTs and AOE heals running over the group. wow #UNPLAYABLE
    Tasear wrote: »
    I understand, there is always work to be done. The original intent of the changes was to lessen mirgration and make the healer role needed. So now we have to see how things are with things like major maim, major protection, minor protection, and support like meritorious service offers. Then see if we can find a happy balance that allows us to enjoy the game.

@Tasear How do healers heal through 1-shots? Because vBRP is brimming with those. You know how to make healers feel useful? Designing content that has strong unpurgeable DoTs and healing checks. They did that with vCR. And they did that with vBRP, which is why despite all the unhealable 1-shots (or in this case, virtually unhealable 3-shot), a dedicated healer is required. As I alluded to in my other post, the tanks are subject to unavoidable, unpureable DoTs and defiles that pretty much requires the need for a dedicated healer (because the heals need to be strong enough to be effective despite the defile) to babysit them.

Shields are not what killed the need for healers. It's content design where damage avoidance is the only viable game in town.

This sentence in bold speaks volumes. vMoL has the best boss fight designs in the game. The quality of end game content design has been in decline since then.

Code merely speaks to one aspect since that is what is germane to this topic.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Itsmichi wrote: »
    It's almost as if the hardest mode of what supposed to be the hardest 4 man content is supposed to be run with a healer. with HoTs and AOE heals running over the group. wow #UNPLAYABLE

LOL. So nice of you to make assumptions. We do run with a dedicated healer--vBRP is not doable without a dedicated healer because if you think the DDs have it bad, the tanks have it worse--unpurgeable DoTs, nearly constant defiles, and attacks whose base damage are over 100K.

And you did notice that the damage came in over the course of 1.1s, right? Burst heals are reactive, but no healer can notice that health drop and react when the window is that short. HoTs are proactive, but you can't HoT through that level of damage. Shields can be used proactively and reactively. The shield cast time killed the usefulness of reactive shielding. The 40% cap kills the usefulness of proactive shielding, and proactive shielding is what would've worked in situations like this.

Add more health one tank set would greatly add to your build. You can’t wear two DPS sets and a DPS Monster set and then complain that you are a glass canon.

So you think DDs should wear Plague Doctor? :lol: Funny thing is, the arena also punishes low DPS. It's almost as if they made content that demands both high survivability and the kind of damage output that you could only get from a glass cannon. I sure hope you aren't shocked by this, since this has been the hallmark of ZOS's content design for the past year or so.

So bascially you can't be satisfied in any way but staying the old way. Pretty narrow minded.

You clearly have not been paying attention to the conversation or the example being discussed. Far from narrow minded when it is clearly very informed and very thorough. Seems more informed than what you have contributed.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Think that answers that question in reguard to 'will it be enough'.

Guess not. That cant go to live then.
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Itsmichi wrote: »

LOL. So nice of you to make assumptions. We do run with a dedicated healer--vBRP is not doable without a dedicated healer because if you think the DDs have it bad, the tanks have it worse--unpurgeable DoTs, nearly constant defiles, and attacks whose base damage are over 100K.

And you did notice that the damage came in over the course of 1.1s, right? Burst heals are reactive, but no healer can notice that health drop and react when the window is that short. HoTs are proactive, but you can't HoT through that level of damage. Shields can be used proactively and reactively. The shield cast time killed the usefulness of reactive shielding. The 40% cap kills the usefulness of proactive shielding, and proactive shielding is what would've worked in situations like this.

So you think DDs should wear Plague Doctor? :lol: Funny thing is, the arena also punishes low DPS. It's almost as if they made content that demands both high survivability and the kind of damage output that you could only get from a glass cannon. I sure hope you aren't shocked by this, since this has been the hallmark of ZOS's content design for the past year or so.

So bascially you can't be satisfied in any way but staying the old way. Pretty narrow minded.

@Itsmichi No, he's saying that something's gotta give, the mob damage or there needs to be more shield. The center cannot hold. Content's been overtuned at release alot. This isn't new.

• Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't require shields in content and can't require them, by their design, so 40% is plenty generous, especially since that still leaves you with a shield around 7000 when you have around 17k health meaning total effective health easily 23-24k.
    That's plenty to survive with all the other tools you have.

And guess what? If you see yourself taking that kind of damage just block-cast the shield and take a lot less damage of whatever passes through the shield after resistances have also lowered the damage.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they are designing the new content to favor a more hybrid build for everybody in this content to encourage learning mechanics and getting better at the content rather than better at avoiding it. It's a wise decision also since a hybrid goal is more inclusive to any class and more skill choices also.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Derra wrote: »
    Is the 40% cap for individual shields on a char or is it a cap for all shields combined on a char?
    Because the latter would make healingward absolutely useless.

It's individual and unique to the 2 shields that had cast times, Conjured Ward and Annulment for sorcerers and light armor.

Other shields actually were straight buffed, aside from the lost up front heal on Healing Ward and being able to crit shields(only affects pvp and was actually necessary to undo the negating of crit stats entirely in pvp with even a small shield).
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DDuke wrote: »
    Biro123 wrote: »
    So I wanted to see how the new shields would compare to heals in a tank set+dmg set scenario.

Sets used (5/1/1 Heavy):
    For magicka: 5 Impregnable+5 Spinner+2 Shadowrend
    For stamina: 5 Fury+5 Legion+2 Troll King

Buffs:
    Major Sorcery/Brutality, Infused weapon damage enchant

No CPs.

Health pool at 27 722 with Battle Spirit (shield cap=11 088) for magicka, 26 091 for stamina.

Honor The Dead 4475-6712(crit)
    Hardened Ward: 5338
    Harness Magicka: 4667
    Soothing Spores: 4973-7459(crit)
    Rally: up to 7031-10 547(crit)

How much magic was that with? Trying to do some similar tests myself, but my ISP is playing up :-(

27 375 - with Argonian, Apprentice mundus & tri-stat everything (including Triune jewelry). Buffed spell damage stood at 3451.

Empty bars, so no Expert Mage or inner Light/Bound Aegis to buff stats.

How the hell do you get 3451 spell damage in 5 heavy with all tri-stat enchants and traits?? That's a lot.
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removed and nerfed again? Because 6-7k shields is a joke in PVE, no?
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I wanted to see how the new shields would compare to heals in a tank set+dmg set scenario.

Sets used (5/1/1 Heavy):
    For magicka: 5 Impregnable+5 Spinner+2 Shadowrend
    For stamina: 5 Fury+5 Legion+2 Troll King

Buffs:
    Major Sorcery/Brutality, Infused weapon damage enchant

No CPs.

Health pool at 27 722 with Battle Spirit (shield cap=11 088) for magicka, 26 091 for stamina.

Honor The Dead 4475-6712(crit)
    Hardened Ward: 5338
    Harness Magicka: 4667
    Soothing Spores: 4973-7459(crit)
    Rally: up to 7031-10 547(crit)

How much magic was that with? Trying to do some similar tests myself, but my ISP is playing up :-(

27 375 - with Argonian, Apprentice mundus & tri-stat everything (including Triune jewelry). Buffed spell damage stood at 3451.

Empty bars, so no Expert Mage or inner Light/Bound Aegis to buff stats.

Hm, ok - so with 27.3k mag you got 5338. Was that in cyro?

I just did a little test(in PVE) - Argonian in heavy -
    15.2k mag = 5751 hardened.
    19k mag = 7406 hardened
    22.1k mag = 8369 hardened.
    (not boosted with CP)

All halved in cyro.
    For comparison, the same character with its usual setup (19k mag, 27k stam) has a vigour tooltip of 10482. That is WITHOUT any of my usual (and significant) weapon-damage buffs - ie. major brut, continuous attack, clever alch, berserker glyph.

I guess hardened isn't worth running on my hybrid then!!! Perhaps if it also scaled from spell-damage (since fully-buffed its the same as my weapon-dmg)..?
    Also worth mentioning that vigour is cheaper, the heal is permenant (ie doesn't disappear after 6 seconds like a ward does) - and can crit.. (but can be debuffed too)..

Conclusion? Imho Still will need around 40k+ mag for hardened to be useful - but also need 25k health AND resists AND impen. Will still also need a certain amount of stam for dodge/break-free too. Gonna be hard to make hardened worthwhile in a build. Not impossible, imho - but hard, and at quite a big damage cost.

How can anyone compare a heal over time's full value to an instant shield?
    1) The shield stacks with full health to allow you to take a much bigger hit than a heal could ever heal back, especially if you would die without the shield.
    2) You can spam the shield in that same time, not losing anything but resources you can regain, which is especially effective if the shield is being drained fast.

It would be more valid to compare an instant shield to an instant burst heal, but you still can't heal while dead so a shield is still more valuable than a heal of equal value, probably better than even a higher value heal.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IAVITNI wrote: »
    Simple algebra dictates that if you want to keep an equation balanced, what ever factor you remove needs to be replaced by some equivalent in another part of the equation. This is the issue that ZoS has when it comes to balancing. They take away without proper compensation, and everything just results in a flat nerf instead of actual balance.

Hehe

That's because the equation is already unbalanced. They're "taking weight away from the low side of the teeter-totter/see-saw" so that it can reach the balanced level state.

In a vacuum, it was a nerf, but this is not a vacuum as there are other things to compare it to even on the same class with the same skills just with different gear.
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jsmalls wrote: »
    @Biro123

I actually think we're being given a chance here.

Granted it ENTIRELY depends on what the wording means. If it really comes down to players not being able to have more than 40% of their health as a damage shield on them at one time then numerous things need to be changed in this game with damage shields. If that's the case I'll post that at a later time. But something tells me that's not the case. Otherwise Barrier ultimate becomes 100% useless (it's not popular but you can't just negate an ultimate and not mention it).

If that's not the scenario.

Then resistances and crit resist may give damage shields some heft. It's not hard to build for 25k resistances and 1.8k crit resist on a light armor build (especially with Max magicka not being needed as much), and doing so will make a 10k damage shield be worth more than it is now, and we get the compromise of having to build into our defenses for a strong defense.

Monday when PTS servers go live will be a very important day.

You kind of side-stepped @Biro123 's point. Everything you said is correct. However, sorc sustain is so bad that it requries 2 sustain sets in PvP (for solo compared to most other classes that cna run 2 offensive sets with similar sustain) and the damage is barely enough. So now that "barely enough" damage and 2 sustain set requirement has to make a compromise. Sustain goes from adequate to lacking and "barely enough" simply goes to not enough.

There needs to be compensation for such a significant nerf to a class that was not overperforming. I had a loadout ready that would probably never have died in PvP if the cast time went through. That's only the overlying issue. The actual issue is a result of what is necessary to combat a nerf.

Simple algebra dictates that if you want to keep an equation balanced, what ever factor you remove needs to be replaced by some equivalent in another part of the equation. This is the issue that ZoS has when it comes to balancing. They take away without proper compensation, and everything just results in a flat nerf instead of actual balance.
    I had a loadout ready that would probably never have died in PvP if the cast time went through.
    That is why the nerf happened. Even with the changes with the cast time and shields being crittable, you supposedly had "an unkillable loadout" already planned.

You say sorcerers were not overperforming, but it sounds like you knew they were overperforming as the developers also saw.
  • Toc de Malsvi
    Toc de Malsvi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Barrier just took a massive nerf.
    Legendary Archer of Valenwood
    Bosmer Dragon Knight Archer. XBox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Nightblade Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Sorcerer Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Bosmer Warden Archer. Xbox One. (Flawless Conqueror Bow/Bow)
    Templar's are evil..
  • Mystrius_Archaion
    Mystrius_Archaion
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did anybody read the class rep meeting notes??

Barrier did not get a 40% cap. No shield got any new cap yet and the only ones planned are the sorcerer and light armor shields, which still can be stacked to 80% of max health total after the change, if what was said goes through.

They aren't capping "all shield values you can possibly put on your character at 40%" and are only "capping one shield to 40% single buffed" and ONLY on Conjured Ward and Annulment and their morphs.

Healing Ward is not affected.
    Barrier is not affected.
    Sun Shield is not affected.
    Magma Armor is not affected.
    Bone Shield is not affected.
    ...etc....
    Edited by Mystrius_Archaion on September 28, 2018 5:18AM
  • steussy
    steussy
    ✭✭✭
    With shields able to be crit and a 40% of health cap on size of shield means in PvP sorcs won't be doing any damage because they would constantly be on defense.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Barrier did not get a 40% cap. No shield got any new cap yet and the only ones planned are the sorcerer and light armor shields, which still can be stacked to 80% of max health total after the change, if what was said goes through.

They aren't capping "all shield values you can possibly put on your character at 40%" and are only "capping one shield to 40% single buffed" and ONLY on Conjured Ward and Annulment and their morphs.

Barrier is not affected.
    ...etc....

Do not know why (s)he mentioned barrier.

The two shields to be affected are the only two shields that were given the activation time on the PTS.

Pretty sure most that are actually discussing the topic are aware of the changes the devs said they would make.
    Edited by idk on September 28, 2018 5:28AM
  • Onmari
    Onmari
    Thank you developers, I can work with this.
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    steussy wrote: »
    With shields able to be crit and a 40% of health cap on size of shield means in PvP sorcs won't be doing any damage because they would constantly be on defense.

Guess not Mag Sorc only ?
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

How TERRIBLE for a pure DPS class with no utility to actually do decent DPS!
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Barrier is not affected.
    ...etc....

Source?
    This is copied directly from the rep notes
    . In one of the upcoming PTS patches, Annulment and Conjured Ward will now be instant-cast abilities that scale off your maximum Magicka (as they do on live currently), but cap the total shield amount to 40% of your character’s maximum health.

I bolded the important bit.
    Edited by Biro123 on September 28, 2018 8:40AM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Barrier is not affected.
    ...etc....

Source?

please go read the meeting notes