Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

50% of max health rather than 40%

NyassaV
NyassaV
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
While I like that ZOS reconsidered the shield changes I though the number 40 was just a very weird one too see. For simplicity's sake (much like with battle spirit) I highly suggest making it so shields do not exceed 50% of max health rather than 40%

I ask this in part because of the stupid 1-shot mechanics that plague the game. Most the the game's content was made and adjusted while taking the old damage shield system into account Now that they have been changed I feel as if a lot of 1-shot mechanics need to be changed as well.

50% makes things easy to think about and theorize about. 40% doesn't make it difficult per-say but does make it a tad more complex.

@ZOS_RobGarrett
Edited by NyassaV on September 28, 2018 1:51AM
Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    With this change I would prefer the cast time. If they have a problem with pvp - just split the skills and cyro. Make two cyro - one for pvp and one for pve. and DO NOT TOUCH the pve skills!

-vovus
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • eso_nya
    eso_nya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    you should have taken the cast time, Toombs xD
  • vovus69
    vovus69
    ✭✭✭✭
    yeah, whatever zos will do to "help" will make things even worse, as usual...
    "If I'll need your opinion, I'll give one to you" - Rivenspire
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of 50%.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Apart from the issue of shield stacking, I don't like the idea of them tinkering with shield effectiveness at all. Even at current strength they won't stand up to end game one-shots. Further cutting mitigation in half makes no sense.
  • Zatox
    Zatox
    ✭✭✭✭
    42% pls, will be great
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    "In response to feedback, we've increased the HP % cap on instant cast shields to 50%. The cost of these abilities has been increased 20% to match"
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not 50%, not 60%. Leave them as they are for Trinimac's sake.
    Making them critable is enough. All those evil attempts to make this game no fun anymore, I am tired of this.

I really really would like to say something in particular. But that would probably be an assault on someone. So I shall not.
    Edited by Dracane on September 27, 2018 6:53PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the mean time.. Can we slightly reduce the battlespirit effect on shields please? At least on health shields only maybe.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    no
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soris wrote: »
    In the mean time.. Can we slightly reduce the battlespirit effect on shields please? At least on health shields only maybe.

Don’t nerf the Battlespirit effect, that would just mean shields were balanced to be good in PVP and weak in PVE. If the current values end up being too weak, then they should be adjusted in all forms of gameplay together.
  • Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With change to scale Conjured Ward and Annulment max strenght from max health , morphs like Hardened Ward and Dampen Magic are just waste of skillpoints.

Funny side note , with change like that stamplar with Radiant Ward will be able to reach similar shield value as magsorc with Hardened Ward in PvE and basicly all stam users will be able to come pretty close with Bone Shield. GG ZoS.
  • MehVahdJukaar
    MehVahdJukaar
    ✭✭✭
    Hardcaps, like cast time, are stupid and should not belong in this game: for instance you would probably reach the 40% treashold very early trough you character progression and so as you gain more magicka or spell damage that would be the only skill not to scale, not to mention the morphs that increase the size will be useless. A easy and powerfoul fix would be to make the shield scale 50% off magicka (& spell damage) and 50% off health, or something along those lines. This change will still be a neft for the magicka stackers luke myself but will increase the effectinevess of shields for tanks. I'll probably make a thread talking about this...
  • What_In_Tarnation
    What_In_Tarnation
    ✭✭✭✭
    It feels like we get rid of one horrible nerf but we get another replacement terrible nerf instead. Just like Patrick, so good at bargaining.
    325ee2ac1755d7602e131f0612105480.jpg
  • Zeromaz
    Zeromaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Its a 1-shot mechanic.... its supposed to 1-shot.... how do you think stamina DPS feel?
  • Emma_Overload
    Emma_Overload
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, 50% would be a lot better and very close to my shield size on the live server. My current build has 25K health, 41K magicka and a 12K Hardened Ward.
    #CAREBEARMASTERRACE
  • Galarthor
    Galarthor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    50% is better than 40% but still not enough.

It should be at least 60% to match the around 12k you currently get from Hardened Ward at around 20 to 22k health. Going beyond that would even be warranted since shields are not critable, and the resistences are meaningless unless you are in full heavy armor. In fact, I think shields should not be affected by resistences as it might buff heavy armor too much and also incentivizes people to run heavy armor, which is already overused.
  • method__01
    method__01
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol zos came up with a worst idea than Shield cast time
    Edited by method__01 on September 27, 2018 10:28PM
    PC EU/NA /// PS4 EU/NA

• John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's yet to be seen how they perform in PvE. Silver lining is, mobs don't crit and don't have penetration, so after Murkmire, if shield is, say, 16k * 0.4 = 6.8k, and character has 12k resistances, then shield will absorb 8k incoming damage instead. Not a lot... but something. If someone runs major resolve/ward - it'll get bumped a bit further.
  • Massacre_Wurm
    Massacre_Wurm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    method__01 wrote: »
    lol zos came up with a worst idea than Shield cast time

Yep. I wonder why they didnt add DOT to the shields yet.
  • Ratzkifal
    Ratzkifal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @vovus69
    vovus69 wrote: »
    With this change I would prefer the cast time. If they have a problem with pvp - just split the skills and cyro. Make two cyro - one for pvp and one for pve. and DO NOT TOUCH the pve skills!

-vovus

Their issue isn't only with pvp. ZOS was mainly motivated by pve (according to their own statements) and the concerns of healers being undesirable in comparison to a third DD. Since people were complaining about shield stacking in pvp too, their decision was to nerf them with a cast time which would address both issues at once. However, this change had far more terrible consequences in pvp than in pve, which is what all these complains were about.

ZOS' intention is still the same, nerf shields because they are too strong in pve but now the nerf isn't as severe in pvp anymore.
    This Bosmer was tortured to death. There is nothing left to be done.
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lmao some of you REFUSE to L2P/adapt

Edited by mb10 on September 28, 2018 1:36AM
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    So many of you are flipping out on something that makes a very small impact on game-play yet over all makes it more simplistic.
    mb10 wrote: »

like dude, chill
    no

Why? Why not? Why not make it simpler to comprehend and think about at the very least. That's not even considering how many BS PvE mechanics there are so maybe the shield strength there would be good too.
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • SirMewser
    SirMewser
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mb10 wrote: »

:trollface:
  • Dr.NRG
    Dr.NRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Keep pushing it and Zos might take away your bubble for good lol
  • Ranger209
    Ranger209
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ratzkifal wrote: »
    @vovus69
    vovus69 wrote: »

-vovus

Their issue isn't only with pvp. ZOS was mainly motivated by pve (according to their own statements) and the concerns of healers being undesirable in comparison to a third DD. Since people were complaining about shield stacking in pvp too, their decision was to nerf them with a cast time which would address both issues at once. However, this change had far more terrible consequences in pvp than in pve, which is what all these complains were about.

ZOS' intention is still the same, nerf shields because they are too strong in pve but now the nerf isn't as severe in pvp anymore.

I get what you are saying, cause that is what they were saying, but how does that stop a stam dream team from not needing a healer? Or can't a stam team self heal their way through stuff? I'm guessing there are some that can, which means in the future more will be able to.... short sighted...
  • OGLezard
    OGLezard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zatox wrote: »
    42% pls, will be great

The answer to life, the universe and everything <3

So it MUST be the perfect number for shields :)
  • ccfeeling
    ccfeeling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS stated that shield nerfing because they want to make healer viable :)
  • ruikkarikun
    ruikkarikun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    6-10k shields are joke. We need more then 50%, like 70-80%.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zeromaz wrote: »
    Its a 1-shot mechanic.... its supposed to 1-shot.... how do you think stamina DPS feel?

Pretty much the same as I have the entire time. Maniacal cackling, with a side of schadenfreude.

"Oh no, we'll have survivability that's only significantly better than Stam DPS, instead of god tier, it's impossible to play the game like this. No one will ever complete vMA again, because it will be too hard, because no stam has ever finished vMA or any trial content."

And, yes, there's a little bit of hyperbole in there, but that was the crux of a lot of the complaints I've read.

Shields need a nerf. They're too powerful. That's neither a PvE thing, nor a PvP thing. That's just a balance issue that intersects both.

So, we spent an entire week where people were busy pointing their fingers at each other and saying, "this is your fault." But, really, the problem is right here. MagDPS assuming the point of one shot mechanics was to shield up and soak it off. Not, you know, play the mechanics. Then show off how awesome they are wherever they could.