Edited by Liam12548 on August 30, 2018 7:06PM
The imperial city event was just announced via news post on the official ESO website. With this event, ZoS has discounted a 3 year old DLC
by only 50%
. While this may seem like a "deal" to the average person, the imperial city DLC should in fact be made base game, or be reduced to a minuscule price that can be afforded with the free crowns on a fresh account (i.e 100 crowns). Imperial city is a PvP zone/dlc where you find almost no actual PvP anymore. This is due to a lack of incentive to do anything but PvE content in IC, the lack of the ability to travel straight in to IC from the campaign menu, and the fact that non-eso+ members do not have access to the content with the base game, despite it being part of cyrodiil.
While simply adding the content to the base game would create a massive resurgence in population for IC, it is time for the city to recieve some updates to it's content, objectives, and incentives. I've got a few simple suggestions here that could achieve these goals with minimum effort from ZoS's development team.
- Allow players to respawn on any district, apart from flagged districts that their respective alliance owns. This will allow for a more rapidly changing district ownership pattern, which in turn will keep the PvP flowing, instead of just causing it to die off when players no longer have a district respawn option. At the same time, the inability to respawn on a flagged district owned by your alliance will function as a further measure to prevent the district ownership from stagnating as nothing can be flipped.
- Add PvP incentives. Players should receive a base amount of tel var for killing other players - even if the other players do not actually have tel var on them. This would require a diminishing returns effect similar to AP - where a player who has just died no longer has any "base tel var value". Instead of slowly diminishing each death like AP, the base tel var value should diminish to 0 after a death, and remain that way for a set 2.5-5 minutes, when it rises back up to full instantly. This base value could be in the range of 500 tel var, and would be divided similar to how player's carried tel-var is divided among every player that contributed to killing them. EDIT: This suggestion would have to be unaffected by any tel var modifiers available such as district ownership, carried tel var, and double tel var events to avoid having it become abuse-able.
- Add an AP & perhaps a tel var modifier to the sewers. While PvP is currently scarce in IC, any PvP you DO actually find is in the districts. Entering the sewers to look for players to kill often ends in a 30 minute jog through groups of ads prior to a campaign hop or a "get me unstuck". The sewer environment is one of the most interesting settings for PvP in eso - and it is truly saddening to not be able to experience it as such. A 1.5x AP/tel var modifier could help rejuvenate PvP in the sewers, where it is generally more dangerous to farm tel var due to roaming bosses and the lack of the ability to maintain ownership of 6 districts while farming.
- Add more high-tier tel var cost rewards -both trade able and non trade able, such as polymorphs, costumes, personalities, etc. The xivkyn polymorphs held their value for quite a while, and were an incentive for people to be active in IC. Unfortunate, 3 years after release, most people who care about them have already gotten them. Adding a new set of "elite" tier rewards that are a mix of bound & tradeable would create incentive for completionists, traders, and PvP players to enter IC.
- Allow players to que in to imperial city directly via the campaign menu, or travel from a home base transits shrine regardless of map position
There are plenty of other excellent ideas out there that have been suggested by the community, and it would be really nice to see some engagement on these topics from the ZoS staff.
- XB NA - Longtime Solo & Small scale PvP player
(All AP earned Solo or in groups smaller than 5/BG's
Heal R - AD redguard Templar - AR 50
Lurkist - AD Argonian Blade - AR 32 - Played as both mag and stam
Or Sorc - AD redguard sorcerer - AR 33
Bearenstein - AD high elf warden - AR 25 - Changed from stam to magicka 12/10/18
Heel'Ar - AD redguard dragonknight - AR 23
Your Dad's Dad - AD Dark elf dragonknight - AR 19
Second Class Citizen - DC Redguard Templar - AR 11