The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

How do people get SO many Gold Tempers?

madeeh91rwb17_ESO
madeeh91rwb17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
I have ALL the skill points in the woodworking, clothing, and Metalworking.
I refine EVERYTHING I get.

And yet, I am unable to obtain enough gold quality materials for my own personal use.

However, I keep seeing people selling large amounts of them in guild stores.

Where do you guys even get these from?
What is the secret?

Best Answers

• Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    15x maxed out crafters doing writs & someone farming all the surveys from that, then refining & de constructing everything with maxed relevant skills
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
    Answer ✓
  • SantieClaws
    SantieClaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing the daily crafting writ quests will sometimes produce what you seek yes.

Also refining materials can sometimes be lucky too.

Yours with paws
    Santie Claws
    Shunrr's Skooma Oasis - The Movie. A housing video like no other ...
    Find it here - https://youtube.com/user/wenxue2222

Clan Claws - now recruiting khajiit and like minded others for parties, fishing and other khajiit stuff. Contact this one for an invite.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/
    Answer ✓
  • DeadlyPhoenix
    DeadlyPhoenix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Market was flooded by bots in some cases. Some people stockpile them. Others buy and resell large quantities to control the market. Deconning gold items from trials and weekly/monthly rewards that are useless. Crafting writs on multiple characters and accounts with hirelings.

No real secret that I know of. Everyone has their theories about different methods of refining to improve your odds, but I think it's just RNG being RNG. Some people have it good, others it never shines on.
    Edited by DeadlyPhoenix on August 24, 2018 7:24AM
    Answer ✓
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gythral wrote: »
    15x maxed out crafters doing writs & someone farming all the surveys from that, then refining & de constructing everything with maxed relevant skills

This.

Basically deciding to play for imaginary profit rather than for fun.
    It's amazing how many people get sucked into this via the evil that is 'dailies'
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Answer ✓
  • LordSkyKnight
    LordSkyKnight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The truth is the one you don’t want to hear. Check the names out. Most likely if they are selling a crap load, it’s a bot account or the owner of bot accounts dumping their stuff. Just think in your mind the time it takes to run around gathering mats and you look at these guys and they are selling a massive amount of stacks. Do the math.
    "And it's important to state that our decision to go with subscriptions is not a referendum on online game revenue models. F2P, B2P, etc. are valid, proven business models - but subscription is the one that fits ESO the best, given our commitment to freedom of gameplay, quality and long-term content delivery. Plus, players will appreciate not having to worry about being "monetized" in the middle of playing the game, which is definitely a problem that is cropping up more and more in online gaming these days. The fact that the word "monetized" exists points to the heart of the issue for us: We don't want the player to worry about which parts of the game to pay for - with our system, they get it all."
    - Matt Firor
    Answer ✓
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The most reliable way to get them is to do daily craft writs on multiple characters. The probability of getting a gold gear upgrade - tempering alloy, dreugh wax, rosin, chromium grain - or Kuta is ~35% if you do them at maximum tier, which varies from trade to trade; that means having the skill at 50 and fully speccing the main passive: Clothier, Blacksmith, Woodworking and Enchanting have 10 levels, Alchemy has 8, Provisioning has 6 and Jewelry Crafting only 5. For example doing writs on 15 characters that are maxed out crafters you can expect 5 tempering alloy, 5 dreugh wax, 5 rosin, 5 chromium grain and 5 kuta each day. Over a month that's 150 of each, sufficient to fully upgrade the gear on several characters and/or sell surplus on guild stores. So it adds up quite fast. Additionally, there is ~20% chance to get a survey map, where you find 100-120 raw materials you can then refine, and also get a chance at more tempers.

Refining a stack of 200 raw materials regardless of level, provided you have all the passives, produces just 1 gold upgrade on average, and around 160 refined material. Since each node only holds 3-4, and 10% of them have the chance of doubling the result provided you have the Plentiful Harvest CP passive, that means you'll have to harvest around 52 nodes in order to get a stack of 200, which is quite time consuming. If you check the MM price for all upgrades, and the price of raw & refined materials on guild stores, you'll find out that buying raw to refine is not worth it, as you can barely break even, but buying refined to do writs is quite profitable, even when not accounting for tempering alloy and just considering the gold reward. The only one that's not profitable is ancestor silk clothier, but when accounting for dreugh wax and surveys, even that turns out to be slightly profitable. Each maximum tier writ consumes 40 units of refined material, so the original raw stack, which has shrunk to 160 will provide enough for 4. Since the probability is ~35%, that will give you ~1.4 gold upgrades on average, which is better than just the refine phase.

I haven't done an estimate for hirelings, but they do turn up gold upgrades occasionally. If you have enough skill points for everything else and you log in that character at least once a day, you can spec them. The cumbersome aspect of that perk is that it has a 12/24h cooldown, meaning that if you only invest 2 points (if you put just 1 you don't get anything worthwhile) the hour will tend to slide forward a few minutes every day, since it's almost impossible to log in precisely at the same hour on every character every day. That's why I always put 3/3, even if I can only log in a character 2x during the week-end. Deconstructing gear from leaderboard rewards is only a marginal source, since you can recover 1 unit at most, if you have the same relevant passives. Chromium grains from trial jewelry may be worth while. For example doing a HM trial gives you 2 pieces of gold jewelry, and the chance to get the grain back is ~50%, so for each HM trial run you'll get one. With a good group you can do vAA HM in ~15 minutes. I would consider the latter sources to be marginal & unreliable at best.
    Edited by Asardes on August 24, 2018 7:47AM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Answer ✓
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The drop rate for gold tempers is 0.5%. That means you will average 1 per stack of 200.

You'll see players who upload thousands of these to guild traders. They are either resellers or botters (usually the latter).

I'm neither a reseller, nor a botter, and compared to other people in my trade guilds my sales are modest - since I started playing almost 3 years ago I don't think I ever reached the weekly sales top 10 more than twice, maybe 3 times. Usually I'm between 100th-200th place with less than 0.2% of total guild sales according to MM statistics. I do agree that reselling can be profitable, but you have to sell a huge volume, since you need a >10% margin (7% will be eaten by sales tax). If your profit margin is 10% - and I'm being quite generous here - and you sell, let's say 10M worth of materials every week - rarely do I see players who manage that more than once in a while - it's just 1M in profit. Since most of those players are guild leaders, and guilds are almost never self sustaining from sales tax - only 3.5% ends up in the trader fund - that profit is in fact used up to shore up that. Bids for traders in good locations - Craglorn, alliance capitals, Rawl'ka - are in the ball park of 10M - so theoretically you'll need to have 300M+ in sales to manage that bid just from the tax. AFAIK there are 1, maybe 2 guilds on my server that can manage that much. I'm in 2 pretty big guilds that manage ~150M on average each week, so at least half of the trader fund has to come from members donations.

I never, ever farm materials on purpose, just pick up what I happen to come across when I quest, so the amount of tempers I get from those is negligible. The vast majority of what I have is in fact from writs. Right now I have ~1K of each legendary upgrade in my craft bag; a bit less Dreugh Wax, a bit more Kuta and Rosin, since I use the latter at a slower rate - only 1 bow/staff to upgrade. I only refrain from selling right now because prices are quite low, and I get more gold than I can spend from selling other items, and running the writs themselves - they have ~70% profit margin not considering tempers and master writs since I buy cheap refined materials in stacks. I have all other professions fully trained and at the moment I'm expanding into top tier jewelry crafting on several more characters - 5 done, the 6th in training, probably 5-6 more coming till the end of the year - so I should build up plating stocks as well, over the following months. Using addons I have optimized the processes to a degree that allows me to do all crafting activities in under an hour a day with minimal concentration and effort - usually do it while chatting or doing something else that wouldn't allow me to fully concentrate on normal gameplay anyway. It's really not that different from people fishing while watching TV, but way more profitable.

I have 6 characters (bold in signature) each with 2-8 complete, fully upgraded gear sets, the 7th, the stamina sorcerer, which I will soon send on the journey across Tamriel, just like the others before him, has only one, since it's wearing re-purposed armor from my DK , that had become useless - his old NMG along with some VO and a Stormfist set I had stored up for a long time. But the biggest sink for the last year have been master writs, not upgrading gear sets. In late October I will pick up 6 months worth of surveys, and craft 6 months worth of master writs. I'm almost certain I will have a slight surplus, and put it for sale. Since Murkmire will come with at least 3 new overland and 3 crafted sets, as well as arena weapons, and possibly 3 arena sets as well (unless they are identical to the overland like in CWC), and at least some of those would be good, I reckon the demand will be high enough to bump up prices a bit. IMO listing gold tempers in huge stacks is not a really good practice, since you exclude a lot of potential buyers, namely players that just want to upgrade a weapon or a piece of armor. So I always list 8x. When I did list, they sold well, sometimes within the same day.

So basically what's happening with the legendary land of Tamriel parallels what happened in our own world, in the early modern age, namely capitalism & the industrial revolution, which managed to deliver good in much larger volumes, quality and at lower prices than even before.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Answer ✓
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, make sure to have level 3 hireling on all character
  • HappyLittleTree
    HappyLittleTree
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    99 players with Bots on the map...99 Players with Bots,
    Take one down and pass it around, 98 players with Bots on the map.

98 players with Bots on the map...98 Players with Bots,
    Take one down and pass it around, 97 players with Bots on the map.

Thuu chakkuth lod Hajhiit c’oo? Hajhiit gortsuquth gorihuth thuu gooluthduj thdeitoluu!

XBox-EU
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    buy cheap (TTC, chat, other) then sell expensive
  • madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    By Zenithar!
    That is a lot of daily work.

I am not the crafting-writ sort of person :|

How did people use to get these BEFORE "dailies" and Bots?
    Have these two things dwindled the availability of the golden mats to us 'casuals"?
  • TempPlayer
    TempPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DarkScatha wrote: »
    99 players with Bots on the map...99 Players with Bots,
    Take one down and pass it around, 98 players with Bots on the map.

98 players with Bots on the map...98 Players with Bots,
    Take one down and pass it around, 97 players with Bots on the map.

Actually, if you take 1 down and pass it around, you will ends up with 999 bots cause ZOS doesn't seem to take much action against bot. :p
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Writs, got hundreds of gold mats, sell off the excess every so often to generate more gold:}

Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alts x writs (even if not maxed) = surveys
    Surveys = raw materials = gold mats.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I refine so much ore.
  • lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

This.

It's amazing how many people get sucked into this via the evil that is 'dailies'

I run writs on 7 characters right now and it takes 20 min a day... it's not like its a huge dip into your playtime. It's also just an easily maintainable source of income in-game. I plan to be doing 15 characters a day eventually since its so fast and easy... at 15 char you make 69k a day for like 40 min of effort at most - if you pre-craft and are savvy about writs, even less time.

The extra income lets me enjoy all the other aspects of the game much easier. I can enjoy my housing and buy MANY houses easily because a bit over 30k for logging and doing these so called 'evil dailies.' That's not to mention I can buy gear and and motifs whenever I please and overall you'd just have to be silly to think this evil.

You're probably enjoying the game less as a result of not doing them and don't even realize it.

Edited by lagrue on August 24, 2018 7:53AM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This.

Lol wut, I do writs pretty much daily on 12 characters, takes like 3 mins if that, per character, all crafting writs, one after another.

End of a week, I get gold mats, a lot of gold, surveys, master vouchers, etc etc, then I go kill people on the game or other games, like Battlefield 1 or something, while my mailbox clogs up from sales from writ haters who buy things we get tons of:P
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• StamWhipCultist
    StamWhipCultist
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I farm materials while in queue for BGs. Lately I manage to farm quite a lot while waiting for match to start lol.
    On weekly basis I refine several thousands of ores and bit less of other materials. It suits my own needs just fine.
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SHADOW2KK wrote: »

This.

Lol wut, I do writs pretty much daily on 12 characters, takes like 3 mins if that, per character, all crafting writs, one after another.

End of a week, I get gold mats, a lot of gold, surveys, master vouchers, etc etc, then I go kill people on the game or other games, like Battlefield 1 or something, while my mailbox clogs up from sales from writ haters who buy things we get tons of:P

That's like 40 minutes per day. I only play for 1-2 hours per day nowadays.

There is no way I'm spending 40-70% of my playtime doing writs everyday.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Eliahnus
    Eliahnus
    ✭✭✭
    TempPlayer wrote: »
    Also, make sure to have level 3 hireling on all character

There are no hirelings in Jewellery.
  • bellatrixed
    bellatrixed
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also confused by the assertion that doing writs means you don't play for fun or the only people with gold tempers are bots...

I run my writs on 12 characters, which takes 30-60 min (depends if I'm focused solely on it or multitasking, really) and then about once a week I devote an hour or two to running all the writ surveys I collected over the week, which nets me several thousand mats. Even so I usually have to buy some spare mats to fill in the holes but am still bringing in roughly 100k a day from writs alone (most of the profits being from selling gold tempers).

It's not hard, the hardest part is setting up your account to be profitable. All of my 12 are level 50 with maxed out crafting. Once it's set up though it basically pays for itself and the tempers come pouring in.
    Edited by bellatrixed on August 24, 2018 8:08AM
    ESO Roleplay | RP community for all factions/servers/platforms
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another 'evil daily writ' doer here o/
    Do from 1 to 15 depending on how broke I am and what's new that I 'have to have'.
    Being a collector and someone who crafts all their own gear, I don't do a lot of selling, but I DO a helluva lot of buying. Everyone enjoys the game the way want, and part of the enjoyment for me is being able to buy/collect all the recipes/motifs/homes etc.
    Have recently run into a gold mat problem due to a few alts reaching max level around the same time AND playing around with builds. Will I farm or purchase to get stores back up? Heck no! It will come, in the meantime I can quest on some other lils (the other 'evil' in the game ~ that pesky OL questing!) <3

• Cave_Canem
    Cave_Canem
    ✭✭✭
    Writs, hirelings and thinking twice before gilding every set in my inventory!
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surveys. i still have hundreds of surveys sitting in my bank, any time i get low, i go get them.

also, buy tons of raw stuff in zone chat and refine it.

• Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try to get the Crafting achievements too.
  • vonScuzzman
    vonScuzzman
    ✭✭✭
    farm, farm, farm, farm, farm, refine.
    XBox One NA
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, just run the Ore loop (now ore and JC loop) in Hew's Bane. It's very quick, especially if you're using sets like Darkstride and Fjords with CP into Sprinter & use Rapids - Or get the buffs another way, I do this on Magplar so don't have the boosts.

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Alex_Lex
    Alex_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How many is many?
    100? 500? 5000?

After started 2 years ago and having 15 toons, getting all hirelings and doing some writs I have 1k of wood and smith tempers and 1.5 of cloth.
    Also only 400 Kutas since I use them a lot
    Edited by Alex_Lex on August 24, 2018 2:07PM
    EU: Beatrice gra-Brog, Rebellie, Yshterie, Jearra , Lirielline
    Christess, Fleuretta, Jubilee Cake, Braviliana, Onyxette
    M'adjirra, Dances-around-Nirn, Nerieth, Estrice, Ann der Wood
    Éternelle, Burns-all-the-babies, Jyggurag
    NA: Dice Twice, Nikka from the barrel
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do people keep saying "Hirelings"?

In the 4 years I've had my alts, never once have I received a gold temper. Purple is the best I've ever received.

Refining? RNG at its worse. Just last week, I refined 1500 Ancestor Silk and got one Dreugh Wax. For comparison, I just got two more this week for doing daily writs (on 2 alts w/level 10 in Clothing - I have 2 other alts, but not enough skill points to dump into crafting yet).

A few nights ago, I refined 500 pewters and 1.2k titanium and got zero Chromium grains on my magSorc.

I've heard the more motifs you've learned, the higher the return rate of everything, including Master Writs.

Considering I only have about 10 learned on 1 alt (who now does all my decon/refining), I'd have to say there may be some truth to this.

Just yesterday, I refined just 30 pewter gains on my stamBlade, who has more motifs read than any other alt, and I got 1 chromium grain.

Coincidence or luck, I don't know, but ... there may be some truth to the motif thing. I also seem to get far more Perfect Roe with my stamBlade than I do with my magSorc.

Edited by Violynne on August 24, 2018 2:24PM
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Market was flooded by bots in some cases. Some people stockpile them. Others buy and resell large quantities to control the market. Deconning gold items from trials and weekly/monthly rewards that are useless. Crafting writs on multiple characters and accounts with hirelings.

No real secret that I know of. Everyone has their theories about different methods of refining to improve your odds, but I think it's just RNG being RNG. Some people have it good, others it never shines on.

There's likely to be a lot of truth in this explanation, despite the fact that we are always told that such things are only possible with an auction house system - yet we know perfectly well that it goes on with the guild trader system just the same. Not that there's anything wrong with it in any kind of free market system.
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have one crafter and I farm. Most days I only farm for about an hour and when my alts are out doing stuff they pick up whatever they come across. I have plenty of gold mats except for jewelry.
This discussion has been closed.