The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How do people get SO many Gold Tempers?

• Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bots...

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • tunepunk
    tunepunk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found that refining materials is best. Usually i refine like 500 at a time, and usually get 5-8 gold tempers.

There are a couple of places good for farming nodes.

My favorite place is in Deeshan. (I'm not gonna reveal exactly where) but near cliffs and mountains is best. I have one spot where i run in a circle to harvest about 20 nodes per round, By the time I'm back at starting location most have respawned again. at least 3x20 (raw material) per round, sometimes more with Champion point passive. So on average 80 nodes per round. A couple of rounds and you have a nice stack of raw material that should give you enough to gold at least one item.

Lot more fun than doing crafting wits, ans you get in to an occational fight, with enemies close to nodes.
  • Sygil05
    Sygil05
    ✭✭✭
    I've accumulated 100+ in my crafting bag over time just by doing the daily writs (on one character) and refining raw mats that I find. I very rarely farm anymore, but every month I'll refine what I've happened across while playing the game and add a few more tempers to my collection.

Now, I pretty much only play one character that already has end game gear (aside from upgrading rings), but could easily deck out my healer and stamblade in gold gear just based on my main characters casually accumulated stockpile.
  • Crafts_Many_Boxes
    Crafts_Many_Boxes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    Gythral wrote: »
    15x maxed out crafters doing writs & someone farming all the surveys from that, then refining & de constructing everything with maxed relevant skills

This.

Basically deciding to play for imaginary profit rather than for fun.
    It's amazing how many people get sucked into this via the evil that is 'dailies'

Yeah, I just started doing writs on my 5th toon, and sometimes I catch myself thinking "but more income tho", but I try and stifle those thoughts by reminding myself that I play games for fun, and there are tycoon games if I want to make virtual money. Right now, all 5 toons take me about 25-30 mins, which I think is reasonable for the gold returns and mats / surveys / etc. I only have so many hours of the day to play, and I don't want to find myself spending 1+ hours just doing dailies lol
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SHADOW2KK wrote: »
    15x maxed out crafters doing writs & someone farming all the surveys from that, then refining & de constructing everything with maxed relevant skills

This.

It's amazing how many people get sucked into this via the evil that is 'dailies'

Lol wut, I do writs pretty much daily on 12 characters, takes like 3 mins if that, per character, all crafting writs, one after another.

End of a week, I get gold mats, a lot of gold, surveys, master vouchers, etc etc, then I go kill people on the game or other games, like Battlefield 1 or something, while my mailbox clogs up from sales from writ haters who buy things we get tons of:P

That's like 40 minutes per day. I only play for 1-2 hours per day nowadays.

There is no way I'm spending 40-70% of my playtime doing writs everyday.

Well if you only play 1-2 characters you don't really need to upgrade gear that often. And if you PvP a lot it also means you have lots of AP and probably stocked up on Ravager & Elf Bane jewelry during the Mayhem or get them from leaderboard at the end of the campaign. Each piece sells for 70-80K which is roughly 14-16 tempering alloy or dreugh wax (current EU-PC prices) or 2 full upgrades. So you can still upgrade relatively easily just doing what you like. That's the advantage of trading.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I grab hirelings and do writs when I feel like it. Then when I accumulate a number of raw mats I refine.

I also don't gold everything every time I change my build.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AlnilamE wrote: »

This is bad. You must always max out your gear or never max out your gear in order to measure and compare the effectiveness of the old setup vs. the new setup
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • ATomiX96
    ATomiX96
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    when i used to do crafter daylies on 15 characters (takes like 30 minutes at most if you know what you are doing) i got like 8-10 golden upgrade materials a day sometimes even more if i highrolled the crafting hirelings.
    Edited by ATomiX96 on August 24, 2018 5:32PM
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have ALL the skill points in the woodworking, clothing, and Metalworking.
    I refine EVERYTHING I get.

And yet, I am unable to obtain enough gold quality materials for my own personal use.

However, I keep seeing people selling large amounts of them in guild stores.

Where do you guys even get these from?
    What is the secret?

Crafting writs on multiple toons. I know many people that have 30 max crafters across multiple accounts. That easily nets 30+ gold mats a day.

If you dont do crafting writs or actively farm/buy raw mats to decon, your personal gold mat supply is going to be pretty scarce.

You also have to realize that gold mats are essentially one of the most basic commodities (interchangeable goods) of ESO. Because we dont have a centralized market or auction house, there is always an opportunity for arbitrage (buying low in one market and immediately selling high in another). Lots of people buy up tons of gold mats to flip on pretty tight margins. It would be like if Microsoft stock cost less on the east coast then it did on the west coast. You could buy low in one area and sell immediately in another. Now opportunities for arbitrage are pretty rare in real life equity markets, but in a game like this, they are rampant.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learning random is not truly random.
  • Sevn
    Sevn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This.

Let's wordplay!

Basically deciding to play for imaginary glory rather than for fun.
    It's amazing how many people get sucked into this via the evil that is 'pvp'.

That was fun!
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
    -Hemingway
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    takes my 10 toons about 20 minutes to do 70 crafting writs with the help of 3 awesome add-ons
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    neverwalk wrote: »
    takes my 10 toons about 20 minutes to do 70 crafting writs with the help of 3 awesome add-ons

@neverwalk Was looking for addons to do writs. Which do you use?
  • Runs
    Runs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We pray to Zenithar our god of work and commerce and do our daily writs to honor him.
    Runs| Orc NightbladeChim-el Adabal| Dunmer TemplarM'air the Honest| Khajiit Templar
    Oddity| Altmer SorcerorDrizlo| Orc DragonKnightLady Ra Gada| Redguard Sorceror
    Taste-of-Hist-Sap| Argonian NightbladeWar'den Peace| Khajiit WardenLittle Warden Annie Altmer Warden
    Ports with Blood| Breton TemplarDirty-Old-Man| Dunmer DragonKnightEyes-of-the-Sun| Argonian DragonKnight
    Bleak Mystique| Nord WardenPolychronopolous| Imperial SorcerorBullcrit| Khajiit Nightblade
    PC NA CP 1250+ and still a noob
    At Writs End - A place to complete master writs
  • neverwalk
    neverwalk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter, along with Daily Alchemy and Daily Provisioning. I use these add-ons using a controller, only have to use mouse to click on Craft.
    Edited by neverwalk on August 24, 2018 10:30PM
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This.

@Biro123

Well if you want to actually get All The Things in this game you need a boatload of gold, that's the problem I ran into. You want this special dye? Learn 100 Provisioning recipes. Upgrade a piece of jewelry to gold (formelry almost a million gold to do, now half that). You want to make a nice house? Or a few dozen of them? Go farm mats and recipes for years, or buy them on the market, or buy the individual pieces on the market and hope you like what you bought. You want some cool motifs for your outfits? Farm forever and/or make up the difference with gold.

It's not that we hate fun, it's that for the level of fun we're going for there's these enormous barriers to entry. This is not to invalidate the more casual fun to be had in the game, but obviously people with different needs are going to have to do different things to get there, yeah?
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    neverwalk wrote: »
    Dolgubon's Lazy Writ Crafter, along with Daily Alchemy and Daily Provisioning. I use these add-ons using a controller, only have to use mouse to click on Craft.

Ty
  • Hal_Moore
    Hal_Moore
    ✭✭✭
    I have ALL the skill points in the woodworking, clothing, and Metalworking.
    I refine EVERYTHING I get.

And yet, I am unable to obtain enough gold quality materials for my own personal use.

However, I keep seeing people selling large amounts of them in guild stores.

Where do you guys even get these from?
    What is the secret?

Buying them with gold is easiest. I get some from daily crafting writs and some from hirelings. Also refining mats i just picked up or bought.

it is quite easy to have a massive stockpile without noticing it.

I have 15 toons but I know some people have different accounts as well to get hirelings and daily writs.

• Salvas_Aren
    Salvas_Aren
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm easy at gilding weapons, but wait quite long when it comes to armour pieces. I also tend to farm more ores, runes and alchemy plants than the rest of the crafting enchilada.

This is the reason I have a surplus on most materials except for rosin. I had to buy some large stacks a few weeks ago, but now I try to farm more wood and do more writs.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I farm materials while in queue for BGs. Lately I manage to farm quite a lot while waiting for match to start lol.
    On weekly basis I refine several thousands of ores and bit less of other materials. It suits my own needs just fine.
    This explains it, finder is broken to players farm while waiting.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SHADOW2KK wrote: »

This.

Lol wut, I do writs pretty much daily on 12 characters, takes like 3 mins if that, per character, all crafting writs, one after another.

End of a week, I get gold mats, a lot of gold, surveys, master vouchers, etc etc, then I go kill people on the game or other games, like Battlefield 1 or something, while my mailbox clogs up from sales from writ haters who buy things we get tons of:P

That's like 40 minutes per day. I only play for 1-2 hours per day nowadays.

There is no way I'm spending 40-70% of my playtime doing writs everyday.

Fair enough, as long as you are not one of these people who moan about being skint in the game when it is so laughably easy to make millions :p
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access

• Beruge
    Beruge
    ✭✭✭
    Most days i log on on my 15 characters when eating breakfast. Collecting hirelings and upgrading the horses. Every now and then i refine the low level materials i get in the mail. It's timeconsuming. But i don't have to spend money on gold tempers. Just to be clear i don't have all of my sets gold. Alchemy and enchating is also the cheapest writs to do, which gives good rewards. To get there i collect all intricate items and glyphs looted. It takes time, but the reward is worth it
    My youtube channel: Beruge Casualgaming
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I craft only for myself and 5 crafters doing daily writs + refining of raw materials give me all I need. Except, of course, jewelry, which is pretty much a joke.
  • pzschrek
    pzschrek
    ✭✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »

at 15 char you make 69k a day for like 40 min of effort at most

The extra income lets me enjoy all the other aspects of the game much easier. I can enjoy my housing and buy MANY houses easily

I think it’s a matter of wanting different things out of the game. Everything you described are not what I do. So mileage may vary. Also 40 min a day is probably half the daily playtime for a lot of people. I mean, I spend 5 minutes emptying rewards of the Worthless every few days and that seems too much time.

“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valrien wrote: »

This is bad. You must always max out your gear or never max out your gear in order to measure and compare the effectiveness of the old setup vs. the new setup

I will keep that in mind. Though I changed gear once or so in the last 2 years, so I may not care enough either way.
    The Moot Councillor
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Valrien wrote: »

I will keep that in mind. Though I changed gear once or so in the last 2 years, so I may not care enough either way.

The other way to measure your effectiveness is if you're good at math.

It's just much easier to SEE your results on a meter
  • f047ys3v3n
    f047ys3v3n
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Basically, max level master writs. Back in the day a lot came from your hirelings as well but now it is really just master writs.

As for the chromium..... Even after the "fix" I really don't get any relevant amount of them from writs. They drop at most 1/2 as much as other gold mats and I don't even think they drop that much. I sell them right away because jewelry crafting is really a transmute only thing. Doing anything else with it would be way too costly. Even after the change it is still probably 10x the cost of other crafts as the drop rate for the raw materials is lower.
    I am mostly pleased with the current state of ESO. Please do continue to ban cheaters though and you guys have to find out who is duping gold and how because the economy is currently non-functional.
  • Finviuswe
    Finviuswe
    ✭✭✭✭
    They exhaust every method possible (writs on multiple toons) of acquiring them and then hold onto them, and then list them all at once to rack up the weekly sales.

Personally I'll just buy the ones I need and personally find farming gold to be a more efficient use of time.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The drop rate for gold tempers is 0.5%. That means you will average 1 per stack of 200.

You'll see players who upload thousands of these to guild traders. They are either resellers or botters (usually the latter).
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on August 25, 2018 6:53AM
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Recremen wrote: »

This.

@Biro123

Well if you want to actually get All The Things in this game you need a boatload of gold, that's the problem I ran into. You want this special dye? Learn 100 Provisioning recipes. Upgrade a piece of jewelry to gold (formelry almost a million gold to do, now half that). You want to make a nice house? Or a few dozen of them? Go farm mats and recipes for years, or buy them on the market, or buy the individual pieces on the market and hope you like what you bought. You want some cool motifs for your outfits? Farm forever and/or make up the difference with gold.

It's not that we hate fun, it's that for the level of fun we're going for there's these enormous barriers to entry. This is not to invalidate the more casual fun to be had in the game, but obviously people with different needs are going to have to do different things to get there, yeah?

The point is, though, that when a game adds lots of small, boring, unchallenging repetitive tasks like that, which need repeating every day to get the best stuff, it's effectively a cop-out.
    Instead, why can't it come from new, fun and interesting content that has a bit of challenge to it?

I get that people want all the unlocks, but getting these rewards shouldn't have to be behind the most boring and most repetetive of tasks in game. There is no reason whatsoever why it can't be behind fun tasks..

It's all just a very nasty short-cut by the Devs to keep you playing the maximum omount of time with the minimum amount of dev effort - even though it isn't fun, and I'm not falling for it.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
This discussion has been closed.