The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Vet trials without mic.

WickidMexican
WickidMexican
✭✭✭
Hello everyone. Is it possible to do vet trials and learn them without mic as a tank? I have done the craglorn trials so far on normal need to learn nmol, nhof, nas, and ncr but i have had some encouragement from guildies and friends that my tank is trial worthy. The only problem is i can barely be on mic for personal reasons. Is it possible or should i just give up on it and be a dps?
  • XiDiabolismiX
    XiDiabolismiX
    ✭✭✭
    I think if you find a group/guild that’s accepting of your case, then it’s doable. However, most teams will want you on mic for important callouts such as war horn and/or mechanics.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's more important that you be able to hear instructions. Voice chat is much faster than text chat. If you can hear what's going on, you may do ok. It is definitely helpful to be able to call out in voice chat as well, but you may be able to find a guild that will work with your restrictions.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vet AA is prolly doable, but you honestly should probably know the encounters before hand if you are going to handicap yourself.
  • WickidMexican
    WickidMexican
    ✭✭✭
    Yea i been checking out guides and vids from tank pov. Well at least i know its not a lost cause! I can almost always here the voice chat and i jump to say ok or stuff like that.
  • Dacalana
    Dacalana
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on trial, for some you will have to do callouts as a tank, for others it can be done by someone else. You don't have to be chatty, just a couple of words when they have to be said, any mic will work, like the one on earphones for mobile phones, and also you can bind a key to turn them on only when it's needed.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a dd its possible (as long as you're not responsible for something like crystal mechanic in vCR or backyard in vMoL, its better to have some kind of coordination for those), but if you're a tank or healer, its better to get a mic. There are many important mechanics that should be called out and you cannot really type when tanking a dangerous boss. Not to mention war horns.
    You can use push to talk for those, though, so you dont have to talk all the time and if your place is too noisy, for example, its not a problem.
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • SmellyUnlimited
    SmellyUnlimited
    ✭✭✭✭
    My question to you is: Why?

You have 11 other people that rely on you in a trial. They rightfully have an expectation for you to participate, especially as a tank (which support roles in particular have more quick call outs or reasons to be on voice comms. Often why in difficult situations, groups will just have tanks and healers on comms because they have the most reason to coordinate group activity).

Wrong answer’s to this question are: Because I’m shy. Because other people are in the room. Because I want to listen to music instead. These amount to a personal hurdle you shouldn’t place on group, time management to play in group’s when your able, and the last simply selfish. Unless this is a regular group you play with and all know mechanics, placement, etc, you owe it to participate when 11 other people are devoting their time to an activity.

Or as stated above, play instead as a DD. You have the least reason to be on mic over the other roles, so can afford to participate more passively.
    DO. NOT. WIPE. (in game OR out!)
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's this guy on pc na who pugs vet trials daily. Never uses discord or anything so I think you are good.

As long you can listen then most groups would look forward to another skilled tank.
  • erlewine
    erlewine
    ✭✭✭
    I've done all vet trials in the game without a mic.

It's not ideal, but it can work. It'd be a lot harder as a tank, though. I heal/dps.
    eisley the worst
  • WickidMexican
    WickidMexican
    ✭✭✭
    If you really wanna know @SmellyUnlimited its because my kid was born deaf and with microcephaly. I have enough respect for my group to mute the mic when he starts babbling really loud. I love the tanking role its fun, i feel like i help the group tremendously. I have about 15 appointments every month and i play when i get the chance. I usually try to play while hes asleep thats when i can get on the mic. When hes awake i have to play on mute but i still listen. I already had enough d bags rage quit when they heard him go off once. Not trying to go through that again. And thats as much as ill say about the personal reason. Cant be helped he was born that way.
  • Dacalana
    Dacalana
    ✭✭✭
    Then really, bind a key for your mic, then everybody will hear you only when you want them too. Also I don't think that group will have something against what they can hear.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say normally as a DPS it's doable.

As tank though, you need to call your warhorns, as well as call for break on VHRC HM, and sooner or later, you would likely be leading raids; mainly our tanks and healers lead raid more often than DPS. Not always mind you, but often.
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you really wanna know @SmellyUnlimited its because my kid was born deaf and with microcephaly. I have enough respect for my group to mute the mic when he starts babbling really loud. I love the tanking role its fun, i feel like i help the group tremendously. I have about 15 appointments every month and i play when i get the chance. I usually try to play while hes asleep thats when i can get on the mic. When hes awake i have to play on mute but i still listen. I already had enough d bags rage quit when they heard him go off once. Not trying to go through that again. And thats as much as ill say about the personal reason. Cant be helped he was born that way.
    Yeah you just bind a key and use push to talk. Most of us do that anyway for echo and feedback reasons.
  • WickidMexican
    WickidMexican
    ✭✭✭
    I see how do you bind a key on console tho? I play on ps4 na.
  • Dacalana
    Dacalana
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know anything about console, but some earphones have buttons to turn them on/off, it's not really convenient, but can be a solution.
    Edited by Dacalana on August 12, 2018 7:12PM
  • WickidMexican
    WickidMexican
    ✭✭✭
    Oh like a mute button yea my headset has that. I guess i can do that no problem.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on the trial. On one extreme, you have vAA, where there is absolutely no need for the tank to communicate anything. And on the other extreme, you have vHoF, where both tanks need to be vocal in comms, no exceptions. And a lot in between.

Not being able to speak will limit your options substantially for the more mechanically-complex trials.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    It depends on the trial. On one extreme, you have vAA, where there is absolutely no need for the tank to communicate anything. And on the other extreme, you have vHoF, where both tanks need to be vocal in comms, no exceptions. And a lot in between.

Not being able to speak will limit your options substantially for the more mechanically-complex trials.

Yeah i didn't get into VMOL and beyond; because I figured that by the time he was on those the need for mic would become obvious to him on its own :)
    Edited by Mureel on August 13, 2018 10:01PM
  • WickidMexican
    WickidMexican
    ✭✭✭
    Yea i understand for vmol and after mic is required. If i can get on ill gladly get on if not well i can always try another time. I appreciate everyone been cool with my situation as well. I was kinda expecting trolling like. Youre a bad parent fpr playing garbage like that but so far i have seen a few tips whats possible without mic and so on thanks.
  • DirkRavenclaw
    DirkRavenclaw
    ✭✭✭✭
    In my Guilds, on PC/NA you dont need a mic but you need to listen on discord to Tactics
    Council Member of AtWritsEnd, Member of LoneWolfeHelp, Donor of GhostSeaTradingCO., Factor of EastEmpireTradingCO.,HonourGuard of ´DominionImperialGuard(DIG/PVP)

Master Crafter including Jewelry, i craft for Mats and Donation, always happy to help, if Im not in the Middle of PVP, i play since around 14 Months
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea i understand for vmol and after mic is required. If i can get on ill gladly get on if not well i can always try another time. I appreciate everyone been cool with my situation as well. I was kinda expecting trolling like. Youre a bad parent fpr playing garbage like that but so far i have seen a few tips whats possible without mic and so on thanks.

I'll tell ya what: as a Mom to 3 (who are now 12, 12 and nearly 11) there were times when they were sick but you can do nothing for them but stay awake in case, and to keep the ibuprofen rolling. Sometimes gaming will save your sanity when you're that kind of tired.

Also it's relatively cheap and when you have 3 kids, at times things can be tight and I'd rather game at night than watch tv. That's for sure.

Anyone judging anyone for gaming is more than likely *really* judging the mirror.

Take care and game when you can!
    Edited by Mureel on August 14, 2018 9:21AM
  • Mureel
    Mureel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I see how do you bind a key on console tho? I play on ps4 na.
    Yeah in that case use mic mute switch thingy.
  • Sparr0w
    Sparr0w
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I've tanked most trials no mic, exception HoF and MoL (tbh Mol can probably be done no mic, just we didn't complete it).
    @Sparr0w so I get the notification
    Xbox (EU) - l Sparrow x | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc | NB | Warden | Necro
    Tank: NB | DK | Warden
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH
    PC (EU) - Sparrxw | CP 810+
    DD: All Mag + Stam
    Heal: Templar | Sorc
    Tank: DK | NB
    Completions: All HM's + TTT + IR + GH + GS
  • Sen_ps
    Sen_ps
    ✭✭✭
    There are (at least) two german guilds that are not using voicechat at all. One of them is big enough to run trials regularily. So at least most of them should be doable even at vet.
    Your name indicates though that german guilds won't help you ;-) I didn't see an english speaking typing guild yet.