The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

CP PVP vs Non CP - What takes More Skill? [discussion]

• Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO CP = faster fights.

CP = longer fights.

Having played both, I prefer CP. Opponents tend to be tougher and CP really allows you to personalise your playstyle and character.
    Joined January 2014
    PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Game is "balanced" for cp in mind. So my answer is CP PvP.

You have to be a mazochist or prefer proc-to-win gameplay to enjoy No-CP PvP.

Though there is no real "balance" in cp too but it is at least better than no-cp in terms of resource management and time to kill.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only people I see saying CP is more skillful are the ones whose argument is that proc sets can carry players in no CP. While true, this sounds like more of a problem with the people implementing procs than the game mode itself. Same could be said for poisons. It all goes back to the devs who think pushing these things into the game is a good idea. I would love to play no CP on Xbox NA but it has 0 bars across the board at all times.

I want to add to what you are saying that, in my opinion proc sets should not be blamed or people using them. That is because a skilled player with a proc set will always outclass a less skilled one with the same proc set or other gimmicks.
    Proc sets are part of the game, and I think the reason they exist is because they add some unpredictability to the fights. Sometimes you win a fight with a proc, but other times you lose with all the procs in the world because of bad positioning, no resources left, etc
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Stigant
    Stigant
    ✭✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »
    The only people I see saying CP is more skillful are the ones whose argument is that proc sets can carry players in no CP. While true, this sounds like more of a problem with the people implementing procs than the game mode itself. Same could be said for poisons. It all goes back to the devs who think pushing these things into the game is a good idea. I would love to play no CP on Xbox NA but it has 0 bars across the board at all times.

I want to add to what you are saying that, in my opinion proc sets should not be blamed or people using them. That is because a skilled player with a proc set will always outclass a less skilled one with the same proc set or other gimmicks.
    Proc sets are part of the game, and I think the reason they exist is because they add some unpredictability to the fights. Sometimes you win a fight with a proc, but other times you lose with all the procs in the world because of bad positioning, no resources left, etc

I myself prefer to play in no CP Cyrodiil for the simple reason that BGs which I enjoy as well are also NoCP and I an leave my CP set up for PvE content.
    I m CP capped for couple future expansions, and played in CP Cyro until Morrowind exclusively. But with the introduction of BGs I gave NoCP Cyrodiil a try and I rarely go back. It feels way less forgiving when you make a mistake, overextend or manage your resources poorly, so in my case NoCP certainly takes more skill to play than CP.
    Damage procing Proc sets are stronger there, yes, and cancerous combos of, for example stamSorc in heavy armor with hurricane viper + sloads + valkyn + master DW don't take much skill to play, but you don't have to go that route if you don't want your gear do all the work for you and still do well and have fun.
    I'm not against proc sets in general and I think they bring an interesting layer into the combat system, but some have so ridiculously easy conditions to proc. I like procs that you have either to build for or play a certain way to make them proc. Example would be Armor of the Truth which you can use on NB and use SA from cloak to get the proc and its rewarding your NB gameplay, it's sad that ZoS doesn't make more of those interesting ones and just pumps out damaging proc sets with stupidly easy conditions like Sloads.

End of the rant.

TLDR: no CP takes more skill for some players and not as much for other... and builds need to be built differently. I think it's subjective
  • Unfadingsilence
    Unfadingsilence
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the class TBH I main a Stam MB which is easy mode to start, in CP pvp I'd say takes more skill to play, in none CP and BG's Stam NB is carried by gear only and makes easy mode NB even easier.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both are fine and doublt anyone here has appropriate info to support one requiring more skill than the other.
  • Stigant
    Stigant
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Both are fine and doublt anyone here has appropriate info to support one requiring more skill than the other.

Agreed, as I said it's no CP for me, might be CP for other... It's subjective for every player
  • mojomood
    mojomood
    ✭✭✭
    No CP is not forgiving, but CP requires counterplay. A mistake, an extra roll, a build miscalculation, etc will get you killed in No CP. But not keeping consistent pressure and control will get you killed in CP. In No CP, procs hit harder and in general burst is higher, but that encourages a faster style gameplay, faster decisions, more pressure and hence I believe results in harder gameplay in No CP.

But that doesn't mean that there are easy button builds in both. Tankier classes like wardens need CP more and are generally better in CP campaigns, but bursty classes like sorc/nb shine in no CP because of strong passives. Not saying a warden isn't good in no CP because they are very good, but not to the level of CP. Likewise, sorc/nb can be great in either, but can kill even faster in no CP.

I think they are more different than harder/easier. The difficulty level is more based on playstyle strengths.
    Edited by mojomood on August 15, 2018 1:30AM
  • M3atwad
    M3atwad
    Had some friends start playing in non-cp and decided to join them. I find it to be easier for solo-small group play and 1vxing. The damage in non-cp is definitely not higher but mistakes are way less forgiving. I'd say non-cp requires more skill hands down, not only in your gameplay but in your build. You cant crutch on anything, even proc sets.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Build depending really.

For my Dodge rolling or block builds the cost reduction of CP allows them to perform better
    I.e. can Dodge more for less

For my primarily offensive builds the damage mitigation CPs make them more difficult to use.
    I.e. won't deal as much damage

Which takes more skill? Both are equal. A better player is gonna get ya in either case
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There are immortal builds possible in both, that let you keep your damage thanks to proc sets that damage/heal too much. Neither really take any skill this patch.
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP PvP and non CP PvP are completely different ball parks... different strategies, builds, and classes perform differently in each which makes it really hard to figure out which takes more skill... but does it really matter which one takes more skill? I think it’s more important to ask yourself which PvP mode is more fun to you, because in the end ESO is a game and the point is to relax and have fun

Personally though I prefer Non CP as I feel like class balance is slightly better there
    Edited by _Ahala_ on September 12, 2018 8:14PM
  • The_Brosteen
    The_Brosteen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that while fighting outnumbered, making a mistake is more forgiving in CP.

Then there is also the fact that there are people who just refuse to play without CP. Most people I've heard that prefer non CP are okay playing either way. But thats just my experience.
  • Crixus8000
    Crixus8000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried cp pvp and just hated it, fights are so boring because everyone has so much sustain and survivability without building for it that it's so hard to get kills unless you go for a massive damage build.

One of my stamsorc builds had 34k stam and over 6k wep dmg and I was doing some duels and 90% of them ended in both of us giving up, yet I have no issues at all killing in no cp.

No cp pvp does have issues, proc sets and cost poisons are much worse here imo and many players get carried by them but overall I find no cp more skillful after playing both. I have to manage sustain here, aim for a well rounded build instead of going all out damage and doing 1vx is harder too and I like that. But that's just my opinion, I know others that say cp pvp is more skillful so it depends on the player, class, build ect.
    Edited by Crixus8000 on September 14, 2018 12:09AM
  • montjie
    montjie
    ✭✭✭
    For solo nd small group/scale players nCP takes more skill
    For ballgroups nd zerglings theyve dumbed down the game so much it really doesnt make any effective difference where they play. Its the same play the overwhelming numbers game vs a (non organized) group of enemies.

People say you have to have different builds based on where u play. But i can take my nCP build to CP without changing a thing (granted i get the added cp bonusses obviously) and do even better there then i do on nCP whereas i bet people speccing their build for CP campaign will have much more trouble taking the exact build into nCP nd having the same and/or better results there.

If you 'gimp' yourself nd still do well you dont have to change anything to keep doing well when external conditions change to your benefit.
    - easy farmable saltbucket -
    - retired QQ king of Daggerfall Covenant PC-EU Azura's Star/Sotha Sil/weird dragon name/Ravenwatch zone chat -
  • moosegod
    moosegod
    ✭✭✭
    I think CP is a more interesting way to play though I've played in no-CP environment much more often. I've found when I die in CP environmemts it's less frustrating than in the opposite campaign or BG. I'm not getting angry over dieing to a particular set or flavour of the month (i.e. old sloads, rune cage). If I die I know it's because I was outplayed or overwhelmed, not because I was out procced. The simple fact that my stamDK could slap on sload's (pre-nerf) and skoria then instantly become far more viable than he was previously is proof enough that no-CP requires less skill to perform well.

To some, the power level appears pretty high in CP and some builds may seem unkillable relative to no-CP counterparts however, all players have the opportunity to reach that potential. An opponent who is tough to kill is an experienced player who is likely outplaying you if you don't win. If it were no-CP you could get lucky procs and potentially win through luck. No-CP exists for players who have hit level 50 but have still low-CP in which case they would be at an inherent disadvantage playing against capped players in CP environments.

PvP is endgame content and as long as CP exists as our progression to that goal then it's respective PvP environment will result in more balanced gameplay and in that regard, more skillful.
    Edited by moosegod on September 15, 2018 12:50AM
  • Aedaryl
    Aedaryl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CP is definitively more skilled than no CP.

Proc sets doing most of damage and being totaly RNG based, allowing to a less skilled player to win because of luck is not what I call "skilled PvP".

Also, with no cps, your ressources + ressource managment and so your possibilities are very limited.

In CPs, you can play the way you want and be able to be competitive if you build and play right. In no cps, diversity doesn't exist because of ressource managment and unbalanced defenses.

In Cps, you die because you made an error or because you got outplayed, in no CP you die because stamina cost poison make your break free cost more than half your bar as a magicka character, and between that and proc set, you can't make your "skill" matter.
    Edited by Aedaryl on September 15, 2018 10:40AM
  • MinarasLaure
    MinarasLaure
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find nCP campaign being more forgiving in terms of builds.
    In sotha there's way more diversity than in vivec.
    Sotha allows to experiment with different build and still being competitive, while in Vivec it's either go x or you're dead.