Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS is giving out a unique pet exclusively to streamer favourites and QuakeCon attendees

Carbonised
Carbonised
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of disappointed that ZOS went completely under the radar with this. No news post about it, no official statement. Just a Twitter update that hey, we are giving out this unique pet for people who come to Dallas, and we've given out some codes as well to special streamers to give to their favourite watchers.

Sorry but some of us live on the other side of the globe, and have no way to attend your cons. And this trend of rewarding people who watch streamers is a direction I really disagree with. I couldn't care less about watching some streamer, and I don't see how giving some special streamers exclusive pet codes to hand out to their favourites is a good thing for the game.

Now that you are reviving the loyalty program for ESO+ subs, I expect you to make that pet available as a sub reward as well, you know, for people who actually play the game regularly and pay for both sub and a million other things, as opposed to just befriending someone with a Youtube or Twitch account and hanging out in their Discord chat.
  • sevomd69
    sevomd69
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sevomd69 wrote: »

Nowhere in that article does it mention a torchbug pet for showing up. The only reward mentioned is the Twitch drops that were available for everyone.
  • max_only
    max_only
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes! You are so right! I’m not going to watch someone else play a game I love, I’m going to go play it. I really don’t understand the popularity of streamers. I agree that subscribers should be rewarded more as well.
    #FiteForYourRite Bosmer = Stealth
    #OppositeResourceSiphoningAttacks
    || CP 1000+ || PC/NA || GUILDS: LWH; IA; CH; XA
    ""All gods' creatures (you lot) are equal when covered in A1 sauce"" -- Old Bosmeri Wisdom
  • modaretto
    modaretto
    ✭✭✭
    it's always happened like that as far as i know, i have one exclusive pet as well, it was one of the first i think, a pig :D got it during the RP convention in cologne in 2015. The good thing is, they release a similar pet anyway that you can get in game just a bit different skin so it is not as bad for people who missed it and it sure is a lot of fun for those who went to the event. That pig was given throughout all events in 2015 i believe, so Europe and US ( don't know where else) had a chance to get it and usually those who go and get it make sure to bring a handful for friends as well ^^ it's good fun but for sure a lot of people will miss out on it. These are the type of things that hard-core collection seekers will try to find on ebay etc and it's possible or was back when I was interested in those collectibles. I don't remember it being announced beforehand
    Watches-the-wind (Templar healer) / PC EU

Dragon's Crest
  • Valrien
    Valrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This has happened before with the pig. There is a precedent, it's not like it's new news :P
    Valrien Dravic -- Level 50 Dunmeri Sorcerer (EP)
    Garahel Dravic -- Level 50 Bosmeri Nightblade (EP)
    Tamriel Unlimited was a mistake. One Tamriel was a bigger mistake
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valrien wrote: »
    This has happened before with the pig. There is a precedent, it's not like it's new news :P

It is new news that it is happening with this specific, unique pet. There have been plenty of other pigs, most were better looking too, and I'm sure people care more about a unique model such as the torchbug than they do about a pig.

It's also new news that it is being given out freely by certain streamers. It's one thing to award these Ouroboros crates for watching streams, it's another thing entirely to simply give out free coupons to certain streams that they can hand out to those among their audience as they wish.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who was looking forward to the torchbug pet when it was datamined a while back, and it's a disappointment to see that it will not be made available through the store or through login rewards, but instead be handed out by streamers.
  • KingMagaw
    KingMagaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed on OP.

Personally, like the flame wolf i already have, should of been opened to choose a mount at least for watching the stream. ZoS proactively insulted anyone who supported the game.

With this torchbug ZoS are indeed showing strong precedent with rewarding and encouraging favouritism, which is a prehistoric attitude.
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool. Good.
  • Ampnode
    Ampnode
    ✭✭✭✭
    You guys okay...?
    PC NA - CP640+

Characters:
    Amp - Magicka Nightblade
    Amp - Magicka Sorcerer
    Amp - Magicka Templar
    Amp - Stamina Dragonknight
    Amp - Stamina Templar
    Amp - Magicka Dragonknight
    Amp - Stamina Sorcerer
    Amp - Stamina Nightblade
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ampnode wrote: »
    You guys okay...?

Not really.

As a console player we get "hey you guys can do this too in the future!"

Then it turns into "well maybe..."

Then "LOG in and get something!"

So situations like this one, makes me wonder even if such a thing is available to us.

Representatives are non-console only
    Twitch rewards are non-console only
    Combat metrics are non-console only
    I get the feeling this is non-console only
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • RedRook
    RedRook
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nifty. I'll be happy to see them in game.
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got to be honest here.

I am not at all concerned that ZOS is giving out one type of non-combat pet to people who help publicize the game or attend a convention they are at. There are what, like 20 other non-combat pets? So, good for the streamers and attendees. Glad they are at least trying to make the game I like to play more popular.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got to be honest here.

I am not at all concerned that ZOS is giving out one type of non-combat pet to people who help publicize the game or attend a convention they are at. There are what, like 20 other non-combat pets? So, good for the streamers and attendees. Glad they are at least trying to make the game I like to play more popular.

That's good for you. I know there are plenty of people in this game who care nothing for "cosmetics" as they call it.

I'm sure those of us who would have like this pet in our homes, or on our characters, care a little bit more than that.

If they wanted to give out free stuff outside the game, they could have given out stuff that has already been in the store earlier.

And no, I don't think handing out unique rewards to be given out by streamers is an especially good direction to go in.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    do these items confer any special advantage?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    do these items confer any special advantage?

Well, if you're like me and wanted a torch bug for your house, well then, their house will be pwning mine
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand that a lot of these streamer rewards are about advertising the game, but I still find it kind of funny that ZOS is rewarding us for watching someone else play or talk about the game instead of us playing the game.
  • prof-dracko
    prof-dracko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the OPs anger isn't towards something like this being given away at the con, there's precedent for that at least. It's that they're also giving codes to twitch streamers to give out as they see fit, not only rewarding people for watching someone else play the game, but leaving distribution up to the whim of the streamer. Regardless of whether you wanted the pet or not, that's pretty unfair.
  • BuddyAces
    BuddyAces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Streamers do bring in new people. That's 100 percent fact. It's a marketing technique that frankly, is a lot better than some of their other methods.
    They nerfed magsorcs so hard stamsorcs felt it,lol - Somber97866

I'm blown away by the utter stupidity I see here on the daily. - Wrekkedd
  • Acrolas
    Acrolas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like the huge difference in tone between the official and unofficial tweet illustrates why sponsored content needs carefully-edited official messaging to accompany it.

An otherwise innocent promotion shouldn't rub people the wrong way because it was handled too casually or written like a pop-up ad.
    signing off
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some of the people replying here should think a moment about who pays for the servers and much of the new content we're getting. That's right, the people who care about "cosmetics", and who buy these 80 dollar expensive Crown Store homes and fill them with expensive pets, mounts and furniture, also bought in the Crown Store.

I don't think it's inappropriate to have an expectation that these in-game things are obtained via in-game means such as login rewards and loyalty program, or via the in-game store, instead of being obtained by watching someone's Youtube or Twitch stream, or hanging out in their chat lobby and begging for free rewards.
    Call me old-fashioned, but I'd rather play the game instead of watching someone stream it for 2 hours, hoping for a pet drop. It's not as if streamers aren't already handsomely paid through ad revenue and sponsorships already.

And even if they wanted to hand out freebies outside of the game, they could at least hand out stuff that has already been featured in the game or the store, instead of effectively cutting off everyone who does not live in a Twitch stream the possibility of getting them, if they wanted.
  • JaZ2091
    JaZ2091
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That Torchbug been out for awhile. I listen to Alcast while I play and he would give people a chance to win them, like type something in chat and it would randomly pick someone. If ZoS wants to promote their game thru Twitch and encourage more people to participate so be it. There's always outrage of something regardless of what they try to do.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you wanted this so badly. You should of spent the extra cash to fly out to Quakecon. Then you wouldnt have anything to be upset about.

Yes, I assume it's all my fault that my dedication for ESO isn't at a level where I take a week off from work on 1 day's notice, fly off from northern Norway to Texas to retrieve an exclusive pet at Quakecon. You know, even if I did take off today, I'll probably not even land in the States in time to attend the gettogether.

Is it fitting to do a little LOL here maybe? Anywho, I think I'm done discussing this with you.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JaZ2091 wrote: »
    That Torchbug been out for awhile. I listen to Alcast while I play and he would give people a chance to win them, like type something in chat and it would randomly pick someone. If ZoS wants to promote their game thru Twitch and encourage more people to participate so be it. There's always outrage of something regardless of what they try to do.

"Kind of disappointed" is what I wrote in my post, I don't really think that classifies as "outrage", even in this day and time.
    It's not exactly something I will lose sleep over at night. But this happens to be the official forums where you are supposed to give your feedback about things relating to the game, which is what I am doing.
  • Ydrisselle
    Ydrisselle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    max_only wrote: »
    Developers do this all the time for games. This isnt new or even disappointing unless you just HAVE to have every item and achievement ever. In which case, I just pity you.

Giving it out at conventions I’ve heard. But giving it to streamers, essentially picking and choosing favorite players. This must be a new thing. Then again I’ve been playing video games for longer than Twitch or Youtube’s existence so...

It's not new. ZOS may be doing it for the first time, but Trion did it in every game they develop or manage. I've grabbed a couple things from streamers for Rift, Trove and Atlas Reactor too.
    Carbonised wrote: »
    I think some of the people replying here should think a moment about who pays for the servers and much of the new content we're getting. That's right, the people who care about "cosmetics", and who buy these 80 dollar expensive Crown Store homes and fill them with expensive pets, mounts and furniture, also bought in the Crown Store.

I don't think it's inappropriate to have an expectation that these in-game things are obtained via in-game means such as login rewards and loyalty program, or via the in-game store, instead of being obtained by watching someone's Youtube or Twitch stream, or hanging out in their chat lobby and begging for free rewards.
    Call me old-fashioned, but I'd rather play the game instead of watching someone stream it for 2 hours, hoping for a pet drop. It's not as if streamers aren't already handsomely paid through ad revenue and sponsorships already.

And even if they wanted to hand out freebies outside of the game, they could at least hand out stuff that has already been featured in the game or the store, instead of effectively cutting off everyone who does not live in a Twitch stream the possibility of getting them, if they wanted.

Take a look at my sig. Ive spent plenty on those servers. Probably more than some of the people upset with this. Just because youve dropped the money youve dropped doesnt entitle you to everything. If you wanted this so badly. You should of spent the extra cash to fly out to Quakecon. Then you wouldnt have anything to be upset about.

@Korah_Eaglecry Yeah, because everybody is living in the US and can attend to all of the conventions. No, there isn't anybody who is European and the only chance for something like this is Gamescom... (why don't we have a rolling eyes smiley?)
    Edited by Ydrisselle on August 11, 2018 8:19PM
  • fastolfv_ESO
    fastolfv_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    honestly streaming in eso isnt that popular, who wants to watch a nb kill someone in lag who cant fight back (which is what streamers generally play ) this may be more of a lame move by zeni to try and get people to watch streamers and boost popularity for the game.
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things like this is why I dont bother buying crowns at all. Im a completionist, and if ZOS business model is deliberatly setup so I will never be able to get all the stuff for 100% completion, I don't even want to bother. But im probably not their target customer anyway.
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll live without it, even if I got it for free I'd still use my Fire Scamp, even at that I'm always in PvP so I dont see my pets so I refer to the first 4 words in this reply
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Completely agree. It's assinine. There is no way I'm going to watch a streamer play the game I am currently playing. That would be ridiculous.
  • Amyxleexownsxu
    Amyxleexownsxu
    ✭✭✭
    I have one that's all that matters.
    PC/NA Since Beta!
    CP 1165

Main
    Rank 27 EP Khajiit Stamblade | Derosianthe | 26k Achieves

Alts
    EP Redguard Stamcro | Reindallia
    EP Bosmer Stamden | Sathiriel
    EP Imperial Stamplar | Velinaszol
    EP Altmer Magsorc | Ophianthil
    EP Dunmer Magknight | Thelisarcis

Housing Enthusiast/Completionism Nerd
    Blood for the Pact!!!
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Got to be honest here.

That's good for you. I know there are plenty of people in this game who care nothing for "cosmetics" as they call it.

I'm sure those of us who would have like this pet in our homes, or on our characters, care a little bit more than that.

If they wanted to give out free stuff outside the game, they could have given out stuff that has already been in the store earlier.

And no, I don't think handing out unique rewards to be given out by streamers is an especially good direction to go in.

Sometimes we don't get everything we want. There are going to be unique promotional giveaways. Live with it. That is pretty normal in games. If you want it, go watch streams. If you don't want to watch streams, that is your choice. No point in obsessing with stuff you can't get.

Sure, they can give out recycled stuff. But they want a more impressive promotional giveaway.
This discussion has been closed.