Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Reduce Iceheart Monster Set's Cooldown

madeeh91rwb17_ESO
madeeh91rwb17_ESO
✭✭✭✭
This looks cool AF. Too bad it's stats don't. Which is why you don't really see it being used all that much.

Here is what it does currently:
(1 items) Adds 833 Spell Critical

(2 items) When you deal Critical Damage, you have a 20% chance to gain a damage shield that absorbs 8600 damage for 6 seconds.
While the damage shield holds, you deal 770 Cold Damage to all enemies within 5 meters of you every 1 second.
This effect can occur once every 6 seconds.

I think it can be made viable by reducing it's cool-down.
I personally think 3 seconds would be cool.

what do you guys think.
Edited by madeeh91rwb17_ESO on August 10, 2018 9:57AM

Reduce Iceheart Monster Set's Cooldown 49 votes

Reduce Cool Down (By how much?)
61%
Solarikenvailjohn_ESOkkravaritieb17_ESOmadeeh91rwb17_ESObottleofsyrupG1CountdownDubhliamMattT1988FischblutNyladreasMureelDoccEffNarvuntienAlienatedGoatSilverIce58meatbollSickleCiderVeeskDivineFirstYOLORebirthment 30 votes
How about we keep it as it is (No Change)
26%
ArobainLightspeedflashb14_ESOValveidkSilverWF0lbertikusInarreTheDoomsdayMonsterjaws343ruikkarikunTheUndeadAmuletATomiX96Averrod1234 13 votes
Other
12%
max_onlyLadislaoMalacthulhuJamelielcolossalvoids_Ahala_ 6 votes
  • Dubhliam
    Dubhliam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually, it it a good idea to make sets have a cooldown as long as the duration of the proc.

In this example however, the proc only lasts for the duration of the shield, which more often than not will get depleted earlier than the duration.

3 sec might be a tad too much, but 4 or even just 5 sec cooldown might bump this set enough to be viable for some magden usage.
    Edited by Dubhliam on August 10, 2018 9:47AM
    >>>Detailed Justice System Concept thread<<<
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For it to be really viable, it prolly needs more than the cooldown being halved. But that's a good start.
  • TheDarkoil
    TheDarkoil
    ✭✭✭
    I've got this set in the bank but always skip over it for some reason, reading it now though it sounds like it could be quite good to use even with these stats. The crit damage isn't specific and with 20% I'd say it must proc almost immediately every 6 seconds, the damage sounds like its not location specific so you don't have to kite adds into it as long as they are near you and that damage shield isn't anything to scoff at if it stacks with empowered ward. Going to give it a good testing later I think, I've found that within reason most monster sets geared for DPS are almost identical in dps added. I use iilambris at the minute.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The core problem with this set is not the cooldown, but instead that they have tied the damage component of the proc to the shield. Which means in dangerous PvE fights, a boss will eat through your shield instantly, and stop the proc. Even worse in PvP, the shield is halved, and will instantly vaporize, thus rendering the proc null and void.

In order to make this set at least somewhat viable, the shield and the damage proc need to be separated, so you get the full damage pulses, regardless of whether the shield holds or not.

Wouldn't hurt if the proc was dealt off of frost damage either, instead of critical damage. Would make a whole lot more sense.
  • Jameliel
    Jameliel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Remove cool down and make it something other than shield-based as this renders it totally useless in pvp.
  • madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jameliel wrote: »
    Remove cool down and make it something other than shield-based as this renders it totally useless in pvp.

err, I'd beg to differ.

As PvP is where the shields shine the most.
  • Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    The core problem with this set is not the cooldown, but instead that they have tied the damage component of the proc to the shield. Which means in dangerous PvE fights, a boss will eat through your shield instantly, and stop the proc. Even worse in PvP, the shield is halved, and will instantly vaporize, thus rendering the proc null and void.

In order to make this set at least somewhat viable, the shield and the damage proc need to be separated, so you get the full damage pulses, regardless of whether the shield holds or not.

Wouldn't hurt if the proc was dealt off of frost damage either, instead of critical damage. Would make a whole lot more sense.

Thematically yes, but it would severly limit the amount of builds that would/ could make use of it. Except wardens you would either need a frost staff or run Pulse. Having a chance to proc on every crit broadens the useability.

However, you're absolutely right on everything else in that post.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thematically yes, but it would severly limit the amount of builds that would/ could make use of it. Except wardens you would either need a frost staff or run Pulse. Having a chance to proc on every crit broadens the useability.

I've yet to see it used on any other class but Wardens. Or at least someone with a frost staff.
  • SilverWF
    SilverWF
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And for Combat Physician please. And Prayer Shawl, LOL

What a BS idea?
    • PC EU. Ebonheart Pact. CP 1k+
    • YouTube: All ESO disguises (2014)
    • EU players are humans too! We want our maintenances in the least pop time (at deep night) and not lasted for several hours!
    • Animation canceR - is true PvP cancer! When you can't see which actions your opponent do - you can't react properly on them!
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How about this is a defensive set and not a dps set? The sheild is what the set is about, not the cold damage that comes with it.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like something like:

(2 items) When you deal Critical Damage, you have a 10% chance to deal 1100 Cold Damage to all enemies within 10 meters of you every 1 second.

You gain a damage shield that absorbs 8600 damage for 6 seconds, increasing by up to 300% based on the number of enemies hit by the initial damage.

This effect can occur once every 6 seconds.

So less of a chance, a little more damage and range, and the shield will be stronger based on how many enemies you have around you that get hit with the first proc of Cold damage.
    Edited by brandonv516 on August 10, 2018 12:30PM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How about this is a defensive set and not a dps set? The sheild is what the set is about, not the cold damage that comes with it.

What a complete nonsense thing to say. Even the first set bonus is spell crit, not defense, and it procs on critical damage as well.
    Plus, there are certainly much better ways to get a damage shield than this. It's a set that tries to be both a damage shield and some AOE damage, but it falls flat of doing both.
    De-coupling the damage component form the shield would at least make it do a trickle of DPS compared to maybe 1 or 2 pulses at most, currently.
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe im way off here...
    But i run this on my warden ice tank....that is not a tank....as in I just play solo cause everyone kicks ice tanks....so by solo has to play all 3 roles....I go after world bosses solo and normal dungeons solo. I know not end game trial ready...but this is what i enjoy so.
    This build breton warden in 5 piece winterborn 5 piece ysgrammor 2 piece iceheart...is all light armor so relies heavily on light armor sheild...built for high magica and recovery plus good health, for the warden skills.
    I have the damage component pulsing nearly constantly. So maybe its by casting my own sheild on top of the iceheart one that keeps it going, and frost staff wall and the warden aoe keep proccing it as soon as it does stop.
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I've yet to see it used on any other class but Wardens. Or at least someone with a frost staff.

My sorc tank ran it. Good gods above, when you mix hardened, bone shield, and iceheart together...
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocFrost72 wrote: »

My sorc tank ran it. Good gods above, when you mix hardened, bone shield, and iceheart together...

What you are describing is a snowflake build, that might be fun for soloing world bosses and normal dungeons. But will get eaten alive in any DLC vet dung or vet trial.
  • Everstorm
    Everstorm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Slightly related: I run an older PC but usually it runs pretty stable. But the proc on this set when there are a lot of mobs around makes it slow to a crawl. I use plenty of other area effects and non tax my system anywhere near as hard as this one.
  • Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    Lightspeedflashb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

What a complete nonsense thing to say. Even the first set bonus is spell crit, not defense, and it procs on critical damage as well.
    Plus, there are certainly much better ways to get a damage shield than this. It's a set that tries to be both a damage shield and some AOE damage, but it falls flat of doing both.
    De-coupling the damage component form the shield would at least make it do a trickle of DPS compared to maybe 1 or 2 pulses at most, currently.

Everyone can crit, even tanks and it provides benefit to them as well, more heals from the magic heals that tanks use, like gdb and leaching Vines and such. I actually run this set on my magblade when I don't trust the healer. Personally, I would switch to having a sheild when taking damage. To cement the idea that this is a defensive set, like the clanfear one.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I run this on my warden. I like to pop harness magicka the moment this procs. It provides a bit of a guarantee that the proc will run the full 6 seconds because they have to eat through my harness shield first.
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    The set is already good, you just never used it and you claim it's *** like most meta players
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭

What you are describing is a snowflake build, that might be fun for soloing world bosses and normal dungeons. But will get eaten alive in any DLC vet dung or vet trial.

Seeing as my ice mage with ice heart and light armor shield can tank most dlc dungeons, you dont know what you're talking bout, but trials are a joke
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP is only looking at a very narrow aspect of that set proc. It’s not just the stat increase but also about the shield.

The poll is useless since many would vote to get more, obviously.
  • Arobain
    Arobain
    ✭✭✭✭
    People forget that this set can proc even when stunned and it has saved me MANY times from stamblades
  • DocFrost72
    DocFrost72
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

What you are demonstrating is a complete disregard for 95% of game content using the word snowflake in an attempt to elevate said 5% of content. Worst part is you are incorrect in your assumption about its performance :)

Would you like to accompany this build (which btw you don't even know the sets or stats to) on a vet hm dungeon with me? So far it has completed regular MoL, vet icp hm, vet WGT hm, vet mazzatun, vet Cradle...
  • _Ahala_
    _Ahala_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    Increase the damage and allow it to exist separately from the damage shield... ice magic and ice magic sets are too uncommon
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason it doesn't get used that much is because it is not a strong damage set (since its both offensive and defensive I think this is balanced) and shields are not strong in pvp. It has nothing to do with the cooldown at all which is actually fine and arguably maybe a bit too short in my opinion. Using this in solo play it procs a ton. I nearly always have it up.
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think the 1 piece is the problem.

The spell crit is so unappealing and much worse than what other monster sets offer...
  • Rebirthment
    Rebirthment
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would support this. I wouldn't want to change the proc on frost damage though, since at that point, it wouldn't really work well with other classes besides warden, unless you are using a frost staff or force pulse.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What you are demonstrating is a complete disregard for 95% of game content using the word snowflake in an attempt to elevate said 5% of content. Worst part is you are incorrect in your assumption about its performance :)

Would you like to accompany this build (which btw you don't even know the sets or stats to) on a vet hm dungeon with me? So far it has completed regular MoL, vet icp hm, vet WGT hm, vet mazzatun, vet Cradle...

I know you try and pass on a combo of a health based shield (bone), mag based shield (ward) and monster proc as useful and viable for endgame content, and sorry, I'm not buying that bait.

Yes I disregard 95 % of the game, as you can run through it with no tanks, no healers and a bucket and broom as your equipment. In term of builds it's really only the 5 % of the content that matters. Regular MoL and vet ICP, come on, you'll have to do better than that if you want to prove something.

Why don't you just show me someone who actually does build guides, who recommends using Iceheart as your tanking monster set? No? How about someone recommending shieldstacking for endgame content? No one either?
    Or how about you take your shieldstacking sorc against my DK sword and board tank and see who dies first?

Iceheart is a snowflake set, feel free to use it if you don't care about stats, I use it myself on my icewarden just for the lulz, but don't try and pass it on as neither a "good" nor "alright" set for min/maxing endgame tanking (nor DPSing, for that matter).

Edited by Carbonised on August 10, 2018 2:40PM
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I know you try and pass on a combo of a health based shield (bone), mag based shield (ward) and monster proc as useful and viable for endgame content, and sorry, I'm not buying that bait.

Yes I disregard 95 % of the game, as you can run through it with no tanks, no healers and a bucket and broom as your equipment. In term of builds it's really only the 5 % of the content that matters. Regular MoL and vet ICP, come on, you'll have to do better than that if you want to prove something.

Why don't you just show me someone who actually does build guides, who recommends using Iceheart as your tanking monster set? No? How about someone recommending shieldstacking for endgame content? No one either?
    Or how about you take your shieldstacking sorc against my DK sword and board tank and see who dies first?

Iceheart is a snowflake set, feel free to use it if you don't care about stats, I use it myself on my icewarden just for the lulz, but don't try and pass it on as neither a "good" nor "alright" set for min/maxing endgame tanking (nor DPSing, for that matter).

Just because you can't think of its best use does not mean anyone who uses it is a snowflake.

So far this thread seems to consist predominantly of two people:

1) player who has used the set and thinks its fine

2) player who has never used the set and wants it buffed

Let that sink in.
    Edited by Inarre on August 10, 2018 3:22PM
  • madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    madeeh91rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    OP is only looking at a very narrow aspect of that set proc. It’s not just the stat increase but also about the shield.

The poll is useless since many would vote to get more, obviously.

Thing is, in trying to do both. damage and shield, it fails to do either.
    It would be fine if they remove one aspect of it, and make the other one actually interesting.