The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PvE/PvP etiquette in Cyrodiil

vometia
vometia
✭✭✭
Just wondering what's a reasonable expectation venturing into Cyrodiil as a strictly PvE player: I'm guessing "that's probably not a very good idea", which seems to sum me up, but I figured I'd ask anyway. My perhaps rather naive assumption was that perhaps I might be left alone if it was reasonably obvious I was just exploring and otherwise minding my own business, but I was quickly disabused of that notion after being pwned twice within less than a minute of venturing into the wilderness. Is this an unlucky experience of poor etiquette or more a case of me having to alter my expectations to accept that pretty much anything goes in Cyrodiil and whatever happens, happens?
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no etiquette, in my experience. Its a PVP zone, so prepare for PVP. Some players will leave you be if you look like a PVE quester, others won't. Keep in mind that its impossible to tell if you are a quester. My PVP character wears the Master Angler title and Work's raiment, so they look like a PVEer at first glance, but really aren't.

Going to an emptier campaign is probably your best bet.

I recently got all the (non-gated) skyshards on PC/NA Vivec and only saw a couple of players. One killed me while I was fighting delve mobs, one let me grab the skyshard and run, and one I just ran away from.

Ive also been ganked while fishing and I've been chased by two players only for them to walk away when I reached a fishing hole and started fishing.

Cyrodiil is a PVP zone, so even when I was a PVE only player, I expected to die in the process of PVEing in a PVP zone where I wasn't prepared/willing to fight back. I've since come to really enjoy PVP since venturing into Cyrodiil for fishing.
    Edited by VaranisArano on July 16, 2018 12:09PM
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the insight. In my case I don't have a title and attempted to move away from them but they weren't having any of it. This was in the NA Vivec zone but I have no idea whether or not that was a bad one to choose.

PvP will probably not draw me in as I kinda suck at not entirely trivial things like combat and builds!

I guess wandering around Cyrodiil as a somewhat clueless PvE player is a bit like being that person who will IRL wander down a dark alley at night thinking "well this should be safe enough." And I am that person.
  • Skinzz
    Skinzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I find a player ranked tyro or higher, then I'll kill them, unless they are in the middle of no where and look innocent enough lol.
    Anybody got a group? LFG, anybody? Hello?
  • W0lf_z13
    W0lf_z13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    really depends on the day/mood im in.... sometimes ill let people survive others ill go all out on ...best bet, tbh, would be maybe shor ( its usually lower pop than vivec ) ....

As previously stated though .... keep in mind that there is a good chance you will get ganked, killed, etc while trying to PvE .... cause to some people you are just AP
    Breton Nightblade ~ Fang of the Wolf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Dragonknight ~ Ðårk Ŵølf ~ (50)   |   Altmer Necro ~ Ðeåth Ŵølf ~ (50)

☣☣☣   |     Alliance ~Daggerfall Covenant~     |     Server ~NA PC~     |     CP's ~2156~     |     ☣☣☣
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If it moves kill it simple as that
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Problem is about half the time you try to leave an apparent PVE'er/quester alone, they attack you or come back with a bunch of friends to attack you. It does not encourage PVP'ers to be gentle.

Make invis pots and be sneaky, but expect to die sometimes.
  • White wabbit
    White wabbit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If it moves kill it simple as that
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Problem is about half the time you try to leave an apparent PVE'er/quester alone, they attack you or come back with a bunch of friends to attack you. It does not encourage PVP'ers to be gentle.

Make invis pots and be sneaky, but expect to die sometimes.

Yeah I've left pvers alone only for one to attack you and then his or her mates join in , so I take the attuide kill first ask questions later , just avoid main campaigns and you should be ok
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I've left pvers alone only for one to attack you and then his or her mates join in , so I take the attuide kill first ask questions later , just avoid main campaigns and you should be ok
    In my case, first time was probably quite ill-advised, I'd decided to go for a stroll in a battle-zone as it was the laziest way of getting close to central Cyrodiil which I randomly felt like exploring. Second time seemed a bit off as it was at Weye and I think I was fairly obviously just wandering about and not a threat but lolganking etc. If I wanted pain I would cut up chillies before putting my contacts in. Oh wait, I do that anyway. For the record, I really don't recommend it.
  • VirtualElizabeth
    VirtualElizabeth
    ✭✭✭✭
    I PVP regularly but sometimes I go into the questing zones to help level a new char or collect boxes. What I have done in the past which works about 90% of the time is if I whisper the person who killed me and explain that I am just here to quest, they agree to leave me alone.
    @ElizabethInAustin
    NA/PC
    Eleanour Masterham - Breton Templar
    Elise Masterham - Breton Magicka Nightblade
    Elinora Valen - Dunmer MagDK
    Elsa Masterham - Breton Mag Warden
  • Dreyloch
    Dreyloch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your on NA servers, I would suggest going to Shor. As long as your not attacking any Keep resources, or trying to take town flags (3 towns, if owned by your faction have a vendor for gear). Then you should be ok. Now depending on what faction you belong to, you may have to ride a long time as that campaign is typically held by AD forces.This makes it a little more difficult as the Keeps won't be open to you for quicker transport around the map. Most PvP'ers don't even go to "quest" towns. They are typically fighting others for map supremacy.
    "The fear of Death, is often worse than death itself"
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVE players are fair game and that is what is intended by the design of the game. Think of it as a survival horror game.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    learn to use your hello, dancing and instrument playing emotes...also, you can hold block to let folks know you're not looking to fight...

those emotes saved me sooooo many times when I was just starting out in cyrodiil...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • Grimhallow
    Grimhallow
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to complain about etiquette when you're worth money. A lot of new players don't realize that even when they are smelling the flowers, they look like walking AP to most other players.

Avoid the "lines" connecting all keeps and you'll generally be good.

The other option is to get good enough that you can explore freely, killing anyone you meet. Or hire a bodyguard?
  • Xai_Zi
    Xai_Zi
    ✭✭✭
    vometia wrote: »
    Just wondering what's a reasonable expectation venturing into Cyrodiil as a strictly PvE player: I'm guessing "that's probably not a very good idea", which seems to sum me up, but I figured I'd ask anyway. My perhaps rather naive assumption was that perhaps I might be left alone if it was reasonably obvious I was just exploring and otherwise minding my own business, but I was quickly disabused of that notion after being pwned twice within less than a minute of venturing into the wilderness. Is this an unlucky experience of poor etiquette or more a case of me having to alter my expectations to accept that pretty much anything goes in Cyrodiil and whatever happens, happens?

Here is what I generally experience in PC NA Cyrodiil.

Scenario 1: I win or lose a 1v1: I get a rage tell.
    Scenario 2: I win or lose a group fight: I get a hate tell
    Scenario 3: I win a 1vX: I get a rage tell which sometimes alleges I use CE or that I'm macroing.
    Scenario 4: I lose a 1vX: I get tbagged and maybe a hate tell that includes, "Go back to your zerg you [asian slur]". Like, lol.
    Scenario 5: I play in offline mode and generally have a positive experience.

Note: Most people that send me rage tells and hate tells put me on ignore beforehand or go in offline mode first because they can't handle responses from people that possess any level of civility and intelligence.
    Frequent target of racially motivated censoring by mods.
  • pdebie64b16_ESO
    pdebie64b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Cyro is a PvP zone and you can be killed almost everywere, if you want to PvE prepare to get killed, or see it as a challenge to PvE in a PvP zone.

Back in the day i did the Cyro dailies and it was fun to do.

• Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Expecting to enter PVP and not get attacked by players is like queuing as a healer in PVE on a stamblade with only vigor as a heal
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I find PVP in general to be a toxic place, with a large population of toxic people who are only their to kill anyone they can to make up for their miserable real world existences.

However, if you pick the right campaign, at the right time, you stand a good chance of doing dailies, delves and dolmens in relative piece. I have caught all trophy fish on one character, have completed all delves and collected all skyshards on several characters and even done all dailies on some.

I even did some of this while travelling with a friend from another alliance.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • Pirhana7_ESO
    Pirhana7_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just look at the Battle map and see where the action is, see what keeps are under attack and what alliance is invading another. If you avoid that area you will generally be safe and the chances are any enemy player you encounters is also doing PVE. But there are also a lot of players who like to PVE and then fight enemy players when those random 1v1s happen.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there was a rule to avoid killing PVE players that everyone adhered to, Cyrodiil campaigns would quickly fill with PVE players seeking achievements. As each campaign has a relatively low per-faction population cap, this would result in fewer players to PVP with.

After feeling comfortable, they would then proceed to ask for more and better PVE content in Cyrodiil to better flesh out the very sparse zone.

Therefore I have no sympathy for PVE players seeking a 'safe' experience in Cyrodiil. If it's not fun for you, please feel free to avoid it. You may feel consoled by the fact the vast majority of the game is PVE exclusive content.

Let PVP players have their laggy, neglected corner in total mayhem and war.
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, all. An interesting range of thoughts and experiences and certainly food for thought.

And indeed it seems my analogy of wandering down a dark alley at night isn't such a bad one: will probably be okay using some common sense but one should expect anything!
  • Knootewoot
    Knootewoot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It's to hard to tell if anyone is questing for PvE or is just bored and does PvE because there is little PvP action.

It's also to hard to see if 2 or 3 people are duelling. If you help, they curse you. If you dn't help and watch you get a whisper why i didn't help because i thought it was guys duelling.

It's a PvP zone. I attack everything now. I might die if i attack you, but i charge everything. Low levels, low CP's. duelling guys who might or might not be actually doing a duel, fully buffed DK's who flame whip me to death instant (im a vamp), mudscrabs, game masters, supersonic ballbreakers..
    Edited by Knootewoot on July 18, 2018 9:34AM
    ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
    "I am a nightblade. Blending the disciplines of the stealthy agent and subtle wizard, I move unseen and undetected, foil locks and traps, and teleport to safety when threatened, or strike like a viper from ambush. The College of Illusion hides me and fuddles or pacifies my opponents. The College of Mysticism detects my object, reflects and dispels enemy spells, and makes good my escape. The key to a nightblade's success is avoidance, by spell or by stealth; with these skills, all things are possible."
  • FloppyTouch
    FloppyTouch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Be sneaky craft invisible pots if you are not a nb.
    Stay away from the keeps and the lines that connect them on the map those are heavy traffic areas for zergs
    Sneak near the big towns bring a friend can help having a look out
    Read zone chat and see where ur faction is calling out enemies
    And use zone chat if ur being killed by someone ur faction will come to help.

90% of the map is not even seen by most pvp players leaving huge area where you wont run into anyone ever. We go to the fight and to the action not away from it.

If you run into an enemy might as well try to fight back or make it as hard as possible dont feed those pigs ur better then that.
    Edited by FloppyTouch on July 18, 2018 9:51AM
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Its not about etiquette, its about your expectation. Wandering a war zone armed to the teeth is pretty obviously going to lead to combat one way or another.

You can be clever, sneak about, go to quieter campaigns (Sotha Sil), choose quieter times, avoid roads / transit points (skirting the edge of the map is a good way, don't go near choke points)

Part of the buzz of trying PVE in PVP is avoiding combat. But hey why not embrace it, get a PVP setup and try to get your first kill - its a buzz.

I did a ton of PVE in Cyrodiil before I converted to PVP - its all doable, skyshards, lore books etc. Just be wise
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • frozywozy
    frozywozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Best quote ever on this subject was made by @Talcyndl last major event where you could farm quests to get motifs.

Pve players were complaining about getting killed while questing for these motifs in Cyrodiil.

@Talcyndl replied saying he was also questing completing his "Kill enemy players".

giphy.gif
    Edited by frozywozy on July 18, 2018 9:58AM
    Frozn - Stamdk - AR50
    Frosted - Magplar - AR50
    Frodn - Magden - AR50
    Warmed - Magblade - AR50
    Mmfrozy - Magsorc - AR44
    Necrozn - Magcro - AR32
    Twitch.TV/FrozyTV
    PvP Group Builds

“Small minds discuss people, average minds discuss events, and great minds discuss ideas.” -Eleanor Roosevelt
    • Fix Volendrung (spawn location - weapon white on the map causing the wielder to keep it forever - usable with emperorship)
    • Remove / Change CPs System, remove current CP/noCP campaigns and introduce one 30days with lock, one with no locks
    • Fix crashes when approaching a keep under attack because of bad / wrong rendering prioritization system
    • Change emperorship to value faction score points and not alliance points - see this and this
    • Fix long loading screens (mostly caused by players joining group out of rendering range)
    • Add 2 more quickslots to the wheel or add a different wheel for sieges weaponry only
    • Fix Balista Bolts not dealing damage on walls or doors if deployed at a certain place
    • Release bigger battlegrounds with 8 to 16 players per team and only two teams
    • Fix the permanent block animation - see examples : link1 link2 link3 link4 link5
    • Gives players 10 minutes to get back into Cyrodiil after relogging / crashing
    • Add a function to ignore the Claiming system of useless rewards
    • Improve the Mailing System / Rewards of the Worthy stacking
    • Assign specific group sizes to specific campaigns (24-16-8)
    • Make forward camps impossible to place near objectives
    • Make snares only available from ground effects abilities
    • Change emperorship to last minimum 24hours
    • Fix body sliding after cc breaking too quickly
    • Remove Block Casting through Battle Spirit
    • Fix the speed drop while jumping - see video
    • Fix loading screens when keeps upgrade
    • Fix Rams going crazy (spinning around)
    • Bring back dynamic ulti regeneration
    • Fix speed bug (abilities locked)
    • Introduce dynamic population
    • Lower population cap by 20%
    • Add Snare Immunity potions
    • Bring resurrection sickness
    • Fix character desync
    • Fix cc breaking bug
    • Fix gap closer bug
    • Fix health desync
    • Fix combat bug
    • Fix streak bug
    • Fix server lag
  • albesca
    albesca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got into Cyrodiil for the first time just a week ago, so I'm not an expert, but I after the first couple of hours of sneaking everywhere I discovered that you can avoid action pretty easily by circling around contested keeps and resources, as Cyrodiil is mostly empy.
    That said, if I meet anyone and I'm not outnumbered I attack, regardless of what they're apparently doing, rather than risking a surprise attack as soon as I turn my back.
    PC EU

Khajiit has no time for you
  • Theignson
    Theignson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, it is hard to tell that you are a PVEr.
    One way to do this is get a set of Jailbreakers and a set of Night Silence. Then you can run around Cyrodil in sneak to your heart's content with little risk as long as you avoid battle areas.
    Another approach is to join the zerg (ie follow the larger hoardes of players of your alliance). You will get AP, learn some basic PVP technique, and get your skill lines.
    Quakrson, Stam DK, Grand Overlord
    Trackrsen, Stam Warden, Grand Overlord
    Quakrsen, Mag DK, Overlord
    Tolliverson, Stam NB, General
    Farfarel, Stam Necro, Praetorian
    Spencerson, Templar, Prefect
    Phosphorsen, Stam Sorc, Colonel
    Phosphorson, Mag Sorc, Centurion
    Glimson, Arcanist, Major
    All EP/ PC NA
  • Talcyndl
    Talcyndl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    frozywozy wrote: »
    Best quote ever on this subject was made by @Talcyndl last major event where you could farm quests to get motifs.

Pve players were complaining about getting killed while questing for these motifs in Cyrodiil.

@Talcyndl replied saying he was also questing completing his "Kill enemy players".

giphy.gif

:)
    Tal'gro Bol
    PvP Vice Officer [Retired] and Huscarl of Vokundein
    http://www.legend-gaming.net/vokundein/
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    disintegr8 wrote: »
    I find PVP in general to be a toxic place, with a large population of toxic people who are only their to kill anyone they can to make up for their miserable real world existences.

However, if you pick the right campaign, at the right time, you stand a good chance of doing dailies, delves and dolmens in relative piece. I have caught all trophy fish on one character, have completed all delves and collected all skyshards on several characters and even done all dailies on some.

I even did some of this while travelling with a friend from another alliance.

Hm, so killing players in a game mode where you're meant to kill players is toxic?

Ever wonder that you might be the one with the wrong attitude?

How do you play chess? Do you just move stuff around trying not to take any pieces and then yell 'Toxic' when they take one of yours?

Get a grip. It's a game and the goal is to best your opponent.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • vometia
    vometia
    ✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    Hm, so killing players in a game mode where you're meant to kill players is toxic?

How do you play chess? Do you just move stuff around trying not to take any pieces and then yell 'Toxic' when they take one of yours?

I think the trouble is that the game does sometimes seem to be bringing players with different requirements and expectations together which is unsurprisingly going to cause conflict. I'm not interested in PvP and though my inclination to explore might be seen as "misadventure", actually being given a quest in my PvE game that involves traipsing across Cyrodiil seems to be potentially inciting trouble. Trying to bring together one person who's playing chess with another who's playing solitaire is at best going to end with some degree of disappointment for at least one side.

The response about "my quest is to kill enemy players" is an awkward one when the two players in question have entirely different outlooks.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »

I think the trouble is that the game does sometimes seem to be bringing players with different requirements and expectations together which is unsurprisingly going to cause conflict. I'm not interested in PvP and though my inclination to explore might be seen as "misadventure", actually being given a quest in my PvE game that involves traipsing across Cyrodiil seems to be potentially inciting trouble. Trying to bring together one person who's playing chess with another who's playing solitaire is at best going to end with some degree of disappointment for at least one side.

The response about "my quest is to kill enemy players" is an awkward one when the two players in question have entirely different outlooks.

The thing about Cyrodiil is that its a PVP zone. Even though you can do PVE activities like town quests, its still always a PVP zone.

So everyone should have the expectation that there may be PVP involved in a PVP zone.

What happened during the Anniversary Event was a bunch of PVEers came to do the PVE (designed with the threat of PVP in mind) town quests, and complained when inevitably PVP happened in a PVP zone.