The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Update on NA server status

• Godless_Heathen
    Gotta say I'm surprised gaming companies are so far behind in designing a rolling refresh process. Paypal, eBay, Google, Twitter and many more have designed systems that allow for code changes while services remain up (albeit in some cases specific services come down). And many of these are complex financial transaction services that deal with MONEY! They've moved to a this (more expensive) model because the market demanded services remain online all the time. Until the gaming community makes the same demands and stops rewarding game companies for 90's era designs, we can expect much more downtime in our gaming future.
  • zamiel
    zamiel
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, it really is a drop in the bucket considering it cost an estimated 200 mil to make the game .... the company will not see a profit for a long time.

With 2 mil users they got half of it back at the first moment. I don't know how long developement was but in 6-8 months even with that little number of accounts the game starts to return profit. You are underestimating how pricy this game is.

• Darzil
    Darzil
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta say I'm surprised gaming companies are so far behind in designing a rolling refresh process. Paypal, eBay, Google, Twitter and many more have designed systems that allow for code changes while services remain up (albeit in some cases specific services come down). And many of these are complex financial transaction services that deal with MONEY! They've moved to a this (more expensive) model because the market demanded services remain online all the time. Until the gaming community makes the same demands and stops rewarding game companies for 90's era designs, we can expect much more downtime in our gaming future.
    Would need no client side code, so much larger servers, thin client tech etc, and much higher network bandwidth for all.
    This particular case they'd still have had to stop access, as database corruption can't be allowed to continue.
  • Sunset
    Sunset
    All i have to say is: Elder Scrolls Online its Offline... again.

Good joke guys... well done.
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most mind-boggling thing is the expectations people apparently had for early access. MMO launches are always rocky even on the release date, let alone early access. I have a feeling a significant amount of those raging either haven't played MMOs before or walked into this looking for something to rage about.
  • zamiel
    zamiel
    ✭✭✭
    RakeWorm wrote: »
    The most mind-boggling thing is the expectations people apparently had for early access. MMO launches are always rocky even on the release date, let alone early access. I have a feeling a significant amount of those raging either haven't played MMOs before or walked into this looking for something to rage about.
    Or they are old enough and experienced launches to know that it was not normal to realease a game riddled with bugs and half-baked in every time and age.
  • Raice
    Raice
    ✭✭✭
    cmcw wrote: »
    I agree, i got kicked for maintenance last night, tried logging in this morning, and maintenance again. Given the quest breaking bugs i have experienced i can see why maintenance is called for but there has to be a better way to handle this then excessive server maintenance.

They didn't bring our servers down because of Quests. They brought NA Servers down because of a serious inventory bug that, apparently, the other servers have not experienced. So... the other 2 megaservers, as far as I am aware, were never taken down, expect for their scheduled maintenance times for the Official Update that was going to happen anyway.
  • SilentVigil
    SilentVigil
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of the arguing here has to do with some of you that don’t feel that those who pre-ordered should even expect that early access not the servers being down for an apparent needed server patch. I also have a feeling that those vary people didn’t pre-order (judging by the use of their beta forum names) or can’t play today or both.

I know I fully expected there to be issues - anyone who has ever gone through this process before knows there will be issues and it sounds like this is a major issue(s) that needs to be taken care of.

Perhaps they should move the release day back a day and give us pre-order customers another day and they can have another day to test the effects.
  • pounamu
    pounamu
    ✭✭
    I think a lot of the arguing here has to do with some of you that don’t feel that those who pre-ordered should even expect that early access not the servers being down for an apparent needed server patch. I also have a feeling that those vary people didn’t pre-order (judging by the use of their beta forum names) or can’t play today or both.

I know I fully expected there to be issues - anyone who has ever gone through this process before knows there will be issues and it sounds like this is a major issue(s) that needs to be taken care of.

Perhaps they should move the release day back a day and give us pre-order customers another day and they can have another day to test the effects.

Issues like this should have been caught in the beta testing, But I would prefer the servers being down to fix another blunder than have to play a broken game like I have been doing in the beta and now in early access.

So am I upset about the poor preformance of ESO damm right but screaming on the forums won't change a thing so I decided I will go and see Captain America this morning to let the devs fix the blunder of a game they have.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    /sigh would all of you just shut up and go do something else, the server will be up when they are ready, I wish they turned off the forums too so everyone that is QQ could go do something else.

Same could be said about you.
  • nonexistant2003b14a_ESO
    Would just be nice for an ETA. Took off work today to get a full day of play and get on when my wife goes to work to find out the servers are down...waste of a day off. :(

Make the best of it!
    Don't let server downtime ruin your day.
    B)
    Edited by nonexistant2003b14a_ESO on April 2, 2014 5:28PM
    NONEXISTANT
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raice wrote: »
    cmcw wrote: »
    I agree, i got kicked for maintenance last night, tried logging in this morning, and maintenance again. Given the quest breaking bugs i have experienced i can see why maintenance is called for but there has to be a better way to handle this then excessive server maintenance.

They didn't bring our servers down because of Quests. They brought NA Servers down because of a serious inventory bug that, apparently, the other servers have not experienced. So... the other 2 megaservers, as far as I am aware, were never taken down, expect for their scheduled maintenance times for the Official Update that was going to happen anyway.

What other two? Theres only two total.
  • Hekkatte
    Hekkatte
    For what it's worth, I've played many betas/"early accesses" and this has, by far, been one of the smoothest. Look at any of the major MMORPGs that still exist (and the ones that don't), and you can see that many of them were plagued with nearly game-crippling bugs on day 1. Perhaps I'm lucky, but I have yet to experience that with ESO. So, if they need to take the servers down for an extended period of time to insure that experience continues, I'm not going to be angry about it.....well, maybe just a little agitated. :)

On the other hand, once a product is released to the public, there should be a pretty solid expectation of said product working as intended. I doubt you would find as much tolerance for bugs, extended downtime, etc., in any other product but online gaming. I think we've allowed the norm of MMO releases to overrule what is actually fair; that is, once you pay the money, whatever expectations were set should be adhered to.

TL;DR: How about we just be patient, and we can start yelling about extended downtime if it becomes a pattern, and not just an exception to the rule?
  • Sunset
    Sunset
    For what it's worth, I've played many betas/"early accesses" and this has, by far, been one of the smoothest. Look at any of the major MMORPGs that still exist (and the ones that don't), and you can see that many of them were plagued with nearly game-crippling bugs on day 1. Perhaps I'm lucky, but I have yet to experience that with ESO. So, if they need to take the servers down for an extended period of time to insure that experience continues, I'm not going to be angry about it.....well, maybe just a little agitated. :)

On the other hand, once a product is released to the public, there should be a pretty solid expectation of said product working as intended. I doubt you would find as much tolerance for bugs, extended downtime, etc., in any other product but online gaming. I think we've allowed the norm of MMO releases to overrule what is actually fair; that is, once you pay the money, whatever expectations were set should be adhered to.

TL;DR: How about we just be patient, and we can start yelling about extended downtime if it becomes a pattern, and not just an exception to the rule?

How about you stop makeing alt accouts to post and work on speed up the maintenance process because you totaly sound like a moderator pet.
  • Conifur
    Conifur

The game we got on Sunday morning was the same game that would have come out April 4th if there was no early access - flawed. They then would have had these issues on the 7th and your defense not defensible. Just because your standards are low, does not mean others have to dip to yours - I expect what I purchase to be free of major issues - a few bugs are ok - major issues like they had with accounts - not good.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vv
    Sunset wrote: »

How about you stop makeing alt accouts to post and work on speed up the maintenance process because you totaly sound like a moderator pet.

You actually think someone would make another account to post in this thread? _ESO users were beta testers. Theres a bug preventing some if not all from changing it.

And your raging is cute keep it up.
  • Sunset
    Sunset

You actually think someone would make another account to post in this thread? _ESO users were beta testers. Theres a bug preventing some if not all from changing it.

No rage here, just pointing the facts.

Edited by Sunset on April 2, 2014 5:59PM
  • TicToc
    TicToc
    ✭✭✭

I agree that many people overreact to unexpected down times. It is the nature of the beast.

However, I do feel that there is a bit of blame to be placed here. With the servers being down for a about 12 hours now (and who knows how much longer?), there must be a huge problem that needed to be fixed. This problem may have been realized earlier if they hadn't ended beta 2 weeks prior to early access.

I assumed that they knew that they had everything under control, and were using that time to cinch things up nice and tight. Instead I see the same problems that I saw during that final beta weekend. The mini rollbacks after crashing from an unknown error, are a big one. It was there in beta and is still there. They should have used that two weeks for more testing.

Still, what's done is done, and that is all in the past. Hopefully whatever they are doing now fixes all the major bugs.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No rage here, just pointing the facts.

You have no evidence and your accusations are rage induced.

If you werent, you wouldnt give a fork.
  • Vodkaphile
    Vodkaphile
    ✭✭✭
    Cannyone wrote: »
    Everyone forgets that WoW was essentially down for it's whole first two weeks of launch. This is still pretty smooth by MMO standards - even if it is disappointing.
    -
    I remember WoW's release quite well. And while Blizzard did need to bring the servers down many times the first few weeks, it was never for more than an hour or two at a time. Of course they had a more finished game than ESO is so go figure.

Sorry, I cant let this slide.

Archimonde was down for a combined 140 hours in the first two weeks, and if you chanced to play in between downtimes you could expect to lose any and all progress as they were rolling back constantly.

Want to try a different server? The main RP realms, Feathermoon and Argent Dawn, were unplayable for almost 3 weeks.

From Ten Ton Hammer's article "Remembering WoW's launch":

"At launch, things took a turn for the bizarre. Blizzard’s forecasts for the game were dead wrong, the swell of players flooding servers was too much for them to handle. Stores were selling out of the game fast and online vendors were taking orders left and right. When they flipped the servers on, the little light flicked from “on” to “burning on fire please help” as server queues reached the 1000s. The servers were crashing harder than burning ship trying to walk into Mordor.

If you got past the queues, you were greeted with latency issues, including the infamous “kneel and loot stuff for half an hour” and the even more infamous “disconnect because Internet was really sketchy back then compared to now” and be greeted by the 1,000 person queue. Blizzard issued game time credits for lost playtime and the rocky ride lasted over a month. Afterward, the servers were plagued with dilapidated hardware that wasn’t optimized to run the game and the entire issue wasn’t “perfected” until all the servers were upgraded."

WoW was not a more finished game. That is an absolute fallacy and everyone that played during WoW's release knows it; you're blatantly lying about it.

WoW had one of the worst launches in MMO history and it's well documented. Instead of the first day or two being rocky, the first MONTH and beyond was.

That being said, everyone saw the potential and stuck with it. Which is what they'll most likely do for this game. But there's no need to lie about historical facts to drum up an argument.
  • Sakiri
    Sakiri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW also had the bulk of the population crowd into 4 servers.

Even after the initial crap, archimonde, illidan, mal'ganis and one other, think tichondrius? Were nigh unplayable for over a month and people refused to leave and play elsewhere, instead of stomping their feet.

Im annoyed that they just now are fixing half a years worth of quest bugs and its hampering a heavily anticipated preorder perk.

Things like this are why people wait until after launch to play.
  • Laerrus
    Laerrus
    ✭✭✭
    Vodkaphile wrote: »
    Cannyone wrote: »
    Everyone forgets that WoW was essentially down for it's whole first two weeks of launch. This is still pretty smooth by MMO standards - even if it is disappointing.
    -
    I remember WoW's release quite well. And while Blizzard did need to bring the servers down many times the first few weeks, it was never for more than an hour or two at a time. Of course they had a more finished game than ESO is so go figure.

Sorry, I cant let this slide.

Archimonde was down for a combined 140 hours in the first two weeks, and if you chanced to play in between downtimes you could expect to lose any and all progress as they were rolling back constantly.

Want to try a different server? The main RP realms, Feathermoon and Argent Dawn, were unplayable for almost 3 weeks.

From Ten Ton Hammer's article "Remembering WoW's launch":

"At launch, things took a turn for the bizarre. Blizzard’s forecasts for the game were dead wrong, the swell of players flooding servers was too much for them to handle. Stores were selling out of the game fast and online vendors were taking orders left and right. When they flipped the servers on, the little light flicked from “on” to “burning on fire please help” as server queues reached the 1000s. The servers were crashing harder than burning ship trying to walk into Mordor.

If you got past the queues, you were greeted with latency issues, including the infamous “kneel and loot stuff for half an hour” and the even more infamous “disconnect because Internet was really sketchy back then compared to now” and be greeted by the 1,000 person queue. Blizzard issued game time credits for lost playtime and the rocky ride lasted over a month. Afterward, the servers were plagued with dilapidated hardware that wasn’t optimized to run the game and the entire issue wasn’t “perfected” until all the servers were upgraded."

WoW was not a more finished game. That is an absolute fallacy and everyone that played during WoW's release knows it; you're blatantly lying about it.

WoW had one of the worst launches in MMO history and it's well documented. Instead of the first day or two being rocky, the first MONTH and beyond was.

That being said, everyone saw the potential and stuck with it. Which is what they'll most likely do for this game. But there's no need to lie about historical facts to drum up an argument.

I remember some of those things happening even during BC too.

Anyone else remember the World server going down while raiding in Tempest Keep: The Eye? Having a couple of players die during an encounter, usually meant an end to all progression for the rest of the evening. Bad times.
  • Hekkatte
    Hekkatte

Lol. ^ And then I remember why I don't bother posting on forums.
  • Allaerra
    Allaerra
    ✭✭✭
    While that is true, one wonders why nothing is learned by these experiences. SWTOR's launch wasn't very rosey either, Neverwinter was a disaster, and the list goes on. The thing here is that many of the issues that were repeatedly reported during beta were not fixed. This game was deliberately launched in all its bugginess. In fact, the last two beta surveys one of the questions was basically does a game free of bugs matter to you. They knew they were launching bugged. To me that is really not kosher. Delay launch, pencil pushers be damned. This game should have had an Open Beta, for a month before starting the clock ticking. It needs it.

It is a great game. It has huge potential. But it is not yet finished. It needs more time. Instead we are being asked to just "deal". I cannot for the life of me understand how somethings were done so very well. In fact better than any other game I have played. Others are done so poorly, Rookie mistakes in fact. It's almost like 2 different teams are developing this game semi independently.
  • Khami
    Khami
    ✭✭✭✭
    Darquer wrote: »
    RastSekyd wrote: »
    You didn't pay for early access. Both the standard and the imperial edition included three(physical) to five(digital) days of early access. Both editions will cost the same on the official release date as they do now. The game time you paid for(30 days) doesn't start until the game is officially released.

To clarify, the $59.99 for the standard game was for the following:
    1) A limited license to play the game. You "own" it now.
    2) 30 days of game time.

The extra amount paid for the Imperial edition(both physical and digital) was only for extra bonuses - The imperial race, horse, a pet mudcrab and/or some bonus physical items.

@RastSekyd, then please explain this:
    13583646624_69ddf7dff5_z.jpg
    Visiting the store for early access to me means that we paid for the privilege.

No, It's a marketing pitch to get you to pre-order it. You could have waited until Friday, the 4th to buy it and guess what, you would still be paying $79.99 for it.
  • Hekkatte
    Hekkatte
    I was able to login now; give it a shot.
  • Darquer
    Darquer
    ✭✭✭
    Darquer wrote: »
    @RastSekyd, then please explain this:
    13583646624_69ddf7dff5_z.jpg
    Visiting the store for early access to me means that we paid for the privilege.

Only because you pre-ordered! Quit feeling sorry for yourselves! Geeze people, go do something better with your time and check back later.

Are you serious? I was just making a point, not feeling sorry for myself. It's crap posts like yours that bug me.
  • Khami
    Khami
    ✭✭✭✭
    Conifur wrote: »
    We might pay the same amount as someone who pays on 4 April, but we paid months ago - not on 4 April. So in essence we have paid more then the person who buys it and plays on 4 April because we have provided money in advance for services promised at a later date. They have failed in keeping their part of the promise even though I have met my obligation. If I went to my bank and said take the money back and they obliged (therefor failing in my obligation) do you think they would still allow me to play the game because the economy is down and everyone needs a little money these days? If a car company offered a cool service to anyone who pre-ordered (and pre-paid) a new car and then did not deliver - are you telling me those who pre-paid would just say "ok, cool - not an issue"? We pre-paid for one reason and one reason only - it was not to type on the forums.

You have got to be joking right? You didn't pay any more than the person who pays for it after the 4th. You just gave them your money earlier is all. The amount paid is the exact same.

Spends $79.99 on 7 February or I could have waited to spent $79.99 on 4 April. Where did I spend more money in February?

• ZOS_JasonI
    ZOS_JasonI
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey there, everyone. Thank you for you patience. The North American megaserver is now back online. Feel free to log back into the game!
    The Elder Scrolls Online Social Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • Vikova
    Vikova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yay, it is back. Now locking this thread might be a good idea. :p