Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

ZOS integrated spyware RedShell by mistake, deleted from live, still in PTS folder

• Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ffs double post
    Edited by Rawkan on June 1, 2018 5:59PM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »
    Raideen wrote: »
    WOW...the shills are out in FULL FORCE today.

This is what I am seeing through this entire thread.

Concerned customers talking about their data and the shady practice in how ZoS implemented this.

Shills calling everyone in this thread who is concerned about their data "conspiracy nuts".

The proof is in the pudding folks. The same names you find throughout these forums promoting ZoS as if they can do no wrong are here today once again telling you to relax.

This is called damage control.

This is getting dangerously close to mimicing a political debate. And ZOS loves to close topics like that. Just throwing my two cents in, but taking your grievances to the proper authorities will do better than angrily cursing ZOS's existence.

14 pages and I've yet to see how this connects back to the Illuminati.

This has nothing to do with a political debate, and everything to do with the people who are concerned being called names and labeled by those who do not have concerns.

On topic. I find it disgusting and unacceptable that this software was installed on my PC 1 day before the GDPR went into effect.
    Edited by Raideen on June 1, 2018 6:02PM
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW...the shills are out in FULL FORCE today.

This is what I am seeing through this entire thread.

Concerned customers talking about their data and the shady practice in how ZoS implemented this.

Shills calling everyone in this thread who is concerned about their data "conspiracy nuts".

The proof is in the pudding folks. The same names you find throughout these forums promoting ZoS as if they can do no wrong are here today once again telling you to relax.

This is called damage control.

This is getting dangerously close to mimicing a political debate. And ZOS loves to close topics like that. Just throwing my two cents in, but taking your grievances to the proper authorities will do better than angrily cursing ZOS's existence.

14 pages and I've yet to see how this connects back to the Illuminati.

This has nothing to do with a political debate, and everything to do with the people who are concerned being called names and labeled by those who do not have concerns.

On topic. I find it disgusting and unacceptable that this software was installed on my PC 1 day before the GDPR went into effect.

All I see is alot of pointing fingers at each. The methods to combat and protest this have been discussed ad nauseum, and certain posters have already mentioned certain political figures, so I see nothing but ZOS eventually closing the topic.

For what it's worth, I get it. I've seen the outrage over Facebook's debacle. I understand.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Ley
    Ley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought this thread was really popular with the hundreds of notifications I was getting, until I realized it's mostly the same handful of people going back and forth.

I really don't see the big deal, anyone who uses the internet and thinks their information is private is delusional.

I appreciate it when I have an option to opt-out of sharing information or at least get informed that my information is being collected, but for the most part I assume that when I use the internet, someone is getting information about me. I'm glad that OP brought this to our attention and provided instructions to opt-out but I feel like some people are taking this way out of proportion.

Unless someone can show me hard evidence that they are collecting sensitive information that may be harmful to me, then I'm going to continue on with my life as usual. Didn't see any red flags when reading up on Redshell.
    Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
  • Kolache
    Kolache
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting this. I'm always happy to block/break any telemetry type data collection I can on my PC.

-1, ZOS :p
    Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
  • Aknunsus
    Aknunsus
    I play ESO on a console, so safe from spyware now -- hopefully ZOS hears the outcry here and does not push forward with adding it to PS4 or XBox. And, hopefully they remove it from PC/Mac. Regardless of whether this move was legal, I think it betrays a trust, is unnecessary, and is rather shady -- particularly without a clear option to opt out.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I wrote an email to one of the biggest polish gaming sites about this, maybe they will make an article so it can warn rest of polish community. :)
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ley wrote: »
    I thought this thread was really popular with the hundreds of notifications I was getting, until I realized it's mostly the same handful of people going back and forth.

I really don't see the big deal, anyone who uses the internet and thinks their information is private is delusional.

I appreciate it when I have an option to opt-out of sharing information or at least get informed that my information is being collected, but for the most part I assume that when I use the internet, someone is getting information about me. I'm glad that OP brought this to our attention and provided instructions to opt-out but I feel like some people are taking this way out of proportion.

Unless someone can show me hard evidence that they are collecting sensitive information that may be harmful to me, then I'm going to continue on with my life as usual. Didn't see any red flags when reading up on Redshell.

Depends who has your info though, some will use it to there advantage more than others and knowing Zo$ yeah.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Astrid_V wrote: »
    I wrote an email to one of the biggest polish gaming sites about this, maybe they will make an article so it can warn rest of polish community. :)

Warn them about what? That ZOS will know how many times they click a launcher ad via aggregate data collection?
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 1, 2018 6:31PM
  • Ssalaar
    Ssalaar
    ✭✭

I agree but i also hate companies that you have no choice but to accept and dont give the chance to opt out. IF you dont agree, then you cant play their game. Its easy, we are agreeing to 4 different things playing ZOS. dont need to have the privacy in with the ToS and thus we accept the ToS yet dont want ZoS to mine/sell my data for marketing crap.

I understand they want to mine data for performance but marketing? that is a totally different topic. No need, sorry. I barely use FB and dont touch the "clickbait" ad's that they have on the newsfeed.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ssalaar wrote: »

I agree but i also hate companies that you have no choice but to accept and dont give the chance to opt out. IF you dont agree, then you cant play their game. Its easy, we are agreeing to 4 different things playing ZOS. dont need to have the privacy in with the ToS and thus we accept the ToS yet dont want ZoS to mine/sell my data for marketing crap.

I understand they want to mine data for performance but marketing? that is a totally different topic. No need, sorry. I barely use FB and dont touch the "clickbait" ad's that they have on the newsfeed.

You can opt out by filling out a form on Redshell's website.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ssalaar wrote: »

You can opt out by filling out a form on Redshell's website.

Then ESO will probably drop your connection to the game then, since you can't play without the DLL, what makes you think they'll let you play while opt out
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    Can we just delete this spyware off our computer?

The game won't start if the redshell.dll isn't there. You can block the host it tries to connect to in your etc\hosts file and there is an earlier post with the info. However there are some here who think this might violate the EULA and result in a ban.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    Dayth wrote: »
    https://redshell.io/home
    HOWTO block it, workaround:
    edit your host file on windows

Press the Windows key.
    Type Notepad in the search field.
    In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
    From Notepad, open the following file: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
    Make the necessary changes to the file.
    Click File > Save to save your changes.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

This will block traffic from your computer to that server. You can block it from reporting through your modem or your router as well.

When I enter the "etc" folder it's empty, can you go into more detail here?
    Is hosts a folder itself or file? what file type should I save it as?

The hosts rile does not have an extension. And you can not open it if you do not run notepad as an admin.

You can not save as, you literally just open notepad as admin, open hosts. Edit and cntrl s then close.

Tl;dr make sure notepad is run as admin

One other thing that can popup is file in use errors when you try to save it. If you do check your firewall or antivirus settings as some will lock the file if set in the options.
  • Kuwhar
    Kuwhar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just want to point out a few things.

Number one: the timing and gdpr probably have nothing to do with each other. I'm no expert on it but I guarantee you it is retroactive. And even if it wasn't it would apply to someone installing for the first time tomorrow. The timing is moot, the only relevence is whether or not it breaches it.

Number two: ZOS is not gathering your data to try and sell it. They are PAYING a third-party for their tool and services to gather this data to use internally.

They want to see where they can better focus their resources, be it advertising or platform development.

If anyone would sell it, it would be Redshell since they are the ones selling it to ZOS.

Im not saying i like it but, i get it from a business standpoint why ZOS wants to do it.

But seriously if we're going to have the discussion, which is worth having btw, lets at least be accurate about whats happening.
  • ZOS_MattFiror
    Everyone,

My apologies for the confusion over the integration of Red Shell into ESO. Here’s what happened: we have been experimenting with a better way to link which advertisements and web content new players see to the eventual account that is created in the game. The ONLY purpose this would be used for is to determine from which origin points our new players come from, so we can better plan where to place advertisements and other web content. Existing accounts will never encounter this, as they are already created.

Several factors came together in Update 18 and Red Shell was erroneously added to the live build when we were still testing and evaluating it. It has never been active in ESO, even though the base tech is in the client – i.e. it was never enabled. So, we will remove it from Update 18, which will take place in the PC/Mac incremental build scheduled for this coming Monday (it was never considered for Console, so won’t be in Tuesday’s U18 launch). We never should have done this without giving everyone a heads up it was coming, and we will learn from this mistake.

That being said, we are still investigating how to use this technology in the future to grow and sustain ESO more effectively. When/if we do so, we will give everyone a heads up with clear instructions as to what it is doing, how it is doing it, and how to opt-out should you so desire.

Check out the patch notes on Monday for the notice that Red Shell has been removed from U18, and we will keep everyone posted – and again, my apologies.

Matt
    Matt Firor
    Studio Director, ZeniMax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NewbieOKS wrote: »
    Leandor wrote: »
    I think the discussion got a bit out of hand. The issue at its core should not be the functionality of the tool, but the fact that it was included without transparency.

I believe this should be the right topic/subject, the topic/subject of this thread is a bit misleading (using the word “spyware”)...

Not really. Red Shell's whole thing is taking data provided by the game and tying it to your browsing behavior outside of the game whether you authorize it or not. I would sure call that spying. The dll is also capable of reading information not usually available to a website via the browser. The thing is it might be behaving today but there is a history of expanding what they do. Also keep in mind the information is kept and disseminated by Red Shell. Nothing is stopping them from using this with other companies unrelated to ZOS without your permission. So no spyware is a reasonable classification for the dll and service.
  • Syncronaut
    Syncronaut
    ✭✭✭
    Troneon wrote: »

Everyone report them to correct authorities and get them fined to hell. This is completely illegal in UK/Europe.

They have one week. If its not removed by that time, we will have to do something.

• LumbermillOverlord
    LumbermillOverlord
    ✭✭✭

Check out the patch notes on Monday for the notice that Red Shell has been removed from U18, and we will keep everyone posted – and again, my apologies.

Matt

Thanks for answer! Amen
  • Kuwhar
    Kuwhar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nice one ZoS, owning up to it and removing it. Apology accepted
  • Valkysas154
    Valkysas154
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone,

My apologies for the confusion over the integration of Red Shell into ESO. Here’s what happened: we have been experimenting with a better way to link which advertisements and web content new players see to the eventual account that is created in the game. The ONLY purpose this would be used for is to determine from which origin points our new players come from, so we can better plan where to place advertisements and other web content. Existing accounts will never encounter this, as they are already created.

Several factors came together in Update 18 and Red Shell was erroneously added to the live build when we were still testing and evaluating it. It has never been active in ESO, even though the base tech is in the client – i.e. it was never enabled. So, we will remove it from Update 18, which will take place in the PC/Mac incremental build scheduled for this coming Monday (it was never considered for Console, so won’t be in Tuesday’s U18 launch). We never should have done this without giving everyone a heads up it was coming, and we will learn from this mistake.

That being said, we are still investigating how to use this technology in the future to grow and sustain ESO more effectively. When/if we do so, we will give everyone a heads up with clear instructions as to what it is doing, how it is doing it, and how to opt-out should you so desire.

Matt

Thank you for the response and the action ZOS will take
  • ManwithBeard9
    ManwithBeard9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Woah, thanks for the update @ZOS_MattFiror and transparency, albeit a bit delayed.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone,

Matt

Thank you, Matt for posting this. This will hopefully ease tensions across the board.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Syncronaut
    Syncronaut
    ✭✭✭
    Lake wrote: »
    ...Or the Red Shell in Mario Kart - a strong, homing attack item.

I am suprised Nintendo didnt send them a cease and desist, since they are using their propety (in that case a red shell):
    nintendo-super-mario-football-red-turtle-shell--844CA117.zoom.jpg?fit=inside|485:485
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that the crisis has been averted, will this topic go in another direction?

Edit: So it wasn't coming to console? Niiice score one for us console players :p
    Edited by Cadbury on June 1, 2018 6:58PM
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the update Matt.
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone,

Matt

Good job you will remove it, too bad it's already installed in our systems somewhere and will keep spying on us forever. Prepare to be held accountable for that, especially with the GDRP now.
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have been lurking on this one, preferring to wait a bit to see how it all panned out before reacting. I'm glad I waited because Matt's post has cleared it up nicely for me.

Thank you!

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone,

Matt

Please, who believes you that?

The only reason why you post this is because of the pressure of the users, previously written by a lawyer.

Now, curiously, he's going to be removed from the game because it was never planned.

I do not mind having redshell installed on my computer, but I do not believe you.
    Edited by Chicharron on June 1, 2018 6:59PM
  • BaylorCorvette
    BaylorCorvette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @ZOS_MattFiror now everyone can take off their tin foil hats.
    Supreme Leader Corvette - StamSorc
    Founder of Dominion Special Forces
    YouTube - ESO & Automotive Racing
    DC Zerg Busting