The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

ZOS integrated spyware RedShell by mistake, deleted from live, still in PTS folder

• Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This thread is first rate conspiracy theory, fake-news A+++. I'm sure the internet histories here are also boasting other 5 star websites like TrueTrumpers.com.

Take two seconds to READ and EDUCATE yourself on what it is you think you're fearful of before preparing for the datapocalypse. Come on people.

Disclaimer: Not employed by ZOS

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TL:DR of this thread;

PC master race on full display.

/popcorn

I always find it funny when folks grab the pitch forks for something as meaningless as this (ZOS monitoring click through rate of their own launcher ads + your system specs, things every game gathers), but will gladly continue to use services like Gmail and Facebook which actively scan and aggregate all the private data in their lives to use in ad profiles.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 1, 2018 5:31PM
  • NewbieOKS
    NewbieOKS
    ✭✭✭
    NewbieOKS wrote: »

Since RedShell name have been taking attention (just google it guys), I think they will release an official statement since it is impacting their brand, company and their other clients as well (not only ZOS and Bethesda).

Which means they will try to mitigate this PR disaster by any means necessary. Do you expect to hear the truth? Please...

Just fill a GDPR complaint and let the regulators sort it out.

Not telling the truth is illegal and would result in huge fines and possibly even jail time for Zenimax executives. I think they'll tell the truth.

Too bad i am not from a EU country member. Agree with @MLGProPlayer so all of the concerns here are delivered.

Edit due to double quote and comment
    Edited by NewbieOKS on June 1, 2018 5:35PM
    https://signatur.eso-database.com/17868970/signatur.jpg
    ESO-Database provides statistics for Elder Scrolls Online characters and guilds. This information is collected by the ESO-Database Client and ESO Database AddOn https://www.eso-database.com/en/ Huge thanks to @Keldor for this amazing add-on
  • NinetyNineTails
    Inarre wrote: »
    This thread is first rate conspiracy theory, fake-news A+++. I'm sure the internet histories here are also boasting other 5 star websites like TrueTrumpers.com.

Take two seconds to READ and EDUCATE yourself on what it is you think you're fearful of before preparing for the datapocalypse. Come on people.

Would you kindly post RedShell source code here so we can analyze it.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think the discussion got a bit out of hand. The issue at its core should not be the functionality of the tool, but the fact that it was included without transparency.
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Belegnole wrote: »
    RedShell is a 3rd party software
    LadyAstrum wrote: »
    I'm about to find out who I can report this to. I live in the UK, so....you know...not really appreciated. I don't want spy software getting data from my system, especially when I didn't know it was there.

https://www.gov.uk/data-protection/make-a-complaint

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/

edit: added link

Thank you, much appreciated!
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Would you kindly post RedShell source code here so we can analyze it.

It's already in your game files. And someone has already analysed its functionality: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5184809/#Comment_5184809

But the fake news brigade ignored that. It's not as sensationalist is "ZOS is stealing my banking information to give to Putin".
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 1, 2018 5:41PM
  • FreshlyB8ked
    FreshlyB8ked
    ✭✭✭✭

A post claiming everyone is wrong but offers no substance to back it up. What a great contribution to the thread. (Eye roll)
  • Argruna
    Argruna
    ✭✭✭
    People: Get rid of bots! OMFG get rid of bots!

Zos/Bethesda: *Updates privacy policy and and ToS, pops up new screen in game for you to read and agree to, adds something that may help them go after botters*

People: OMG invasion of mah ~privacy~. Evil greedy Zo$.

Z/B: 19d699e226ec628d3aab12633461e361.gif

Or in other words:
    https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/privacy-policy
    5. Cookies, Analytics and Personalization

We and our third-party providers use cookies, clear GIFs/pixel tags, JavaScript, local storage, log files, and other mechanisms to automatically collect and record information about your browsing activities, gaming performance and use of the Services. We may combine this “activity information” with other personal data we collect about you. Generally, we use this activity information to understand how our Services are used, track bugs and errors, provide and improve our Services, establish matchmaking, verify account credentials, allow logins, track sessions, prevent fraud, and

protect our Services, as well as for targeted marketing and advertising, to personalize content and for analytics purposes (see the “ Access, Amendment, and Other User Rights” section below for information about opting-in out of certain uses of your personal data)

Below, is a summary of these activities. For more detailed information about these mechanisms and how we collect activity information, see our Cookie Policy at http://www.zenimax.com/cookie_us.

Log Files. We collect certain activity information from log files. Log file information is automatically reported by your browser or mobile application to our servers when you access our Services. We record certain information from these log files, including web requests, IP address, browser type and version, language information, referring and exiting URLs, links clicked, pages viewed and other similar information.
    Cookies. Are small files with a unique identifier that are transferred to your browser through our websites. They allow us to remember Users who are logged in, to understand how Users navigate through and use our Services, to display personalized content and targeted ads (including on third party sites and applications).
    Clear GIFs, pixel tags and web beacons. These are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies that we use to track the online movements of Users of our Services and to personalize content. We also use these in our emails to let us know when they have been opened or forwarded, so we can gauge the effectiveness of our communications.
    Anti-Cheat and Fraud Prevention Technologies. We use “anti-cheating” and fraud prevention tools or applications, which may collect information about your browser, device and activities within the Services, to detect and prevent fraud and cheating.
    Analytics Tools. We may use internal and third-party analytics tools (see our Cookie Policy at http://www.zenimax.com/cookie_us for a list of third parties) to collect and aggregate activity data and other data across multiple channels.

Maybe next time when that little window pops up when you start the game, actually read the damn thing instead of blindly hitting agree hmm?
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

A post claiming everyone is wrong but offers no substance to back it up. What a great contribution to the thread. (Eye roll)

You can check the file yourself to see exactly what it does.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5184809/#Comment_5184809
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Argruna wrote: »
    People: Get rid of bots! OMFG get rid of bots!

Zos/Bethesda: *Updates privacy policy and and ToS, pops up new screen in game for you to read and agree to, adds something that may help them go after botters*

People: OMG invasion of mah ~privacy~. Evil greedy Zo$.

Z/B: 19d699e226ec628d3aab12633461e361.gif

Or in other words:
    https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/privacy-policy
    5. Cookies, Analytics and Personalization

We and our third-party providers use cookies, clear GIFs/pixel tags, JavaScript, local storage, log files, and other mechanisms to automatically collect and record information about your browsing activities, gaming performance and use of the Services. We may combine this “activity information” with other personal data we collect about you. Generally, we use this activity information to understand how our Services are used, track bugs and errors, provide and improve our Services, establish matchmaking, verify account credentials, allow logins, track sessions, prevent fraud, and

protect our Services, as well as for targeted marketing and advertising, to personalize content and for analytics purposes (see the “ Access, Amendment, and Other User Rights” section below for information about opting-in out of certain uses of your personal data)

Below, is a summary of these activities. For more detailed information about these mechanisms and how we collect activity information, see our Cookie Policy at http://www.zenimax.com/cookie_us.

Log Files. We collect certain activity information from log files. Log file information is automatically reported by your browser or mobile application to our servers when you access our Services. We record certain information from these log files, including web requests, IP address, browser type and version, language information, referring and exiting URLs, links clicked, pages viewed and other similar information.
    Cookies. Are small files with a unique identifier that are transferred to your browser through our websites. They allow us to remember Users who are logged in, to understand how Users navigate through and use our Services, to display personalized content and targeted ads (including on third party sites and applications).
    Clear GIFs, pixel tags and web beacons. These are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies that we use to track the online movements of Users of our Services and to personalize content. We also use these in our emails to let us know when they have been opened or forwarded, so we can gauge the effectiveness of our communications.
    Anti-Cheat and Fraud Prevention Technologies. We use “anti-cheating” and fraud prevention tools or applications, which may collect information about your browser, device and activities within the Services, to detect and prevent fraud and cheating.
    Analytics Tools. We may use internal and third-party analytics tools (see our Cookie Policy at http://www.zenimax.com/cookie_us for a list of third parties) to collect and aggregate activity data and other data across multiple channels.

Maybe next time when that little window pops up when you start the game, actually read the damn thing instead of blindly hitting agree hmm?

1. Put tinfoil hat on
    2. Open up forums
    3. Complain loudly about something you know nothing about
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on June 1, 2018 5:40PM
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You can check the file yourself to see exactly what it does.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5184809/#Comment_5184809

Thieving the data of your customer is unethical, but it seems to me that people in this thread are worried about their data to a degree, but are MORE concerned about how ZoS went about this.

I personally find it EXTREMELY shady that they installed redshell on my PC on the 24th of may, 2018. The GDPR became enforceable on the 25th of may 2018.

• Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    14 pages and I've yet to see how this connects back to the Illuminati.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    False equivelency.

If you think i am upset about the functions, you are not understanding why i and others have issues.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • EasyTiger
    EasyTiger
    ✭✭✭
    The shills have arrived.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Can we just delete this spyware off our computer?

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This tactic of belittling a concern by comparing it to conspiracy nuts and Trump fanaticism is getting old. Fact is: I did not know this was on my system. I do not recall my permission being sought to have this on my system, nor was I informed about its purpose nor its function on my system.

This is exactly why new regulation was brought in. It is not datapocalypse. Companies like ZoS need to catch up. People are not content with things like this being done, especially after Facebook and other data abuses.

What makes this more unsettling, is this thing was installed on my system three days before the GDPR became official.

So those posters who keep lowering the discussion to: "oh no conspiracy/fake news/foil hats etc" need to change your approach, because I for one I am not happy about this, and will be passing my concerns on to the relevant body. Let them look further into it.

~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Raideen
    Raideen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    WOW...the shills are out in FULL FORCE today.

This is what I am seeing through this entire thread.

Concerned customers talking about their data and the shady practice in how ZoS implemented this.

Shills calling everyone in this thread who is concerned about their data "conspiracy nuts".

The proof is in the pudding folks. The same names you find throughout these forums promoting ZoS as if they can do no wrong are here today once again telling you to relax.

This is called damage control.
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »
    I think the discussion got a bit out of hand. The issue at its core should not be the functionality of the tool, but the fact that it was included without transparency.

This. Lots of distraction fallacies going on.

I'm guessing they have to wait for the Bethesda lawyers (I guess they're quite busy in the run up to E3) before releasing the official statement the moderator said they were preparing. Or they would have quashed this hours ago.
  • Dayth
    Dayth
    ✭✭✭
    https://redshell.io/home
    HOWTO block it, workaround:
    edit your host file on windows

Press the Windows key.
    Type Notepad in the search field.
    In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
    From Notepad, open the following file: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
    Make the necessary changes to the file.
    Click File > Save to save your changes.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

This will block traffic from your computer to that server. You can block it from reporting through your modem or your router as well.

@LumbermillOverlord
    When I enter the "etc" folder it's empty, can you go into more detail here?
    Is hosts a folder itself or file? what file type should I save it as?
    Edited by Dayth on June 1, 2018 5:50PM
  • Dayth
    Dayth
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, accidental double post.
    Edited by Dayth on June 1, 2018 5:50PM
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dayth wrote: »

Press the Windows key.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

This will block traffic from your computer to that server. You can block it from reporting through your modem or your router as well.

The hosts rile does not have an extension. And you can not open it if you do not run notepad as an admin.

You can not save as, you literally just open notepad as admin, open hosts. Edit and cntrl s then close.

Tl;dr make sure notepad is run as admin
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • NewbieOKS
    NewbieOKS
    ✭✭✭
    Leandor wrote: »

I believe this should be the right topic/subject, the topic/subject of this thread is a bit misleading (using the word “spyware”)...
    https://signatur.eso-database.com/17868970/signatur.jpg
    ESO-Database provides statistics for Elder Scrolls Online characters and guilds. This information is collected by the ESO-Database Client and ESO Database AddOn https://www.eso-database.com/en/ Huge thanks to @Keldor for this amazing add-on
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't want to block it or work around it, I want to delete it.

Question: Will I be screwed if I go home and delete this file? Does it need to be on my system in order to play ESO?

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    Does anyone actually know what this is or are people just baselessly fear mongering?

ZOS already has all of your personal information (you gave it to them when you signed up for the game). They don't need "spyware" to get it from you, so that's not what this is.

That is exactly what it is.

Redshell was installed on my PC by Zenimax on 5/24/2018. The GDPR became enforceable on 5/25/2018. Coincidence? I think not.

ex post facto. Though most countries practice certain retroactive laws; EU still can declare it "nice try but it still violates the GDPR" since it was literally done 1 day prior to the law being enacted. If it was months, that's a different story lol.

It's also similar to how code laws are enacted for the construction industry. Govt.#1 says "you must make a building with x spaces". A building is made in this code but then the law changes to say "must be y spaces". The original building is actually fine and can't be forced to be worked on. But if the building is redone, you have to adhere to the new law; so if anything Zeni has to adhere to the law when the next patch/incremental update where GDPR is now officially the law (basically Monday for their next incremental.)

But governments can literally do whatever they want lol.
    Edited by Minno on June 1, 2018 5:54PM
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raideen wrote: »
    WOW...the shills are out in FULL FORCE today.

This is what I am seeing through this entire thread.

Concerned customers talking about their data and the shady practice in how ZoS implemented this.

Shills calling everyone in this thread who is concerned about their data "conspiracy nuts".

The proof is in the pudding folks. The same names you find throughout these forums promoting ZoS as if they can do no wrong are here today once again telling you to relax.

This is called damage control.

This is getting dangerously close to mimicing a political debate. And ZOS loves to close topics like that. Just throwing my two cents in, but taking your grievances to the proper authorities will do better than angrily cursing ZOS's existence.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Dayth
    Dayth
    ✭✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    Dayth wrote: »

Press the Windows key.

add

0.0.0.0 api.redshell.io

at the bottom

The hosts rile does not have an extension. And you can not open it if you do not run notepad as an admin.

You can not save as, you literally just open notepad as admin, open hosts. Edit and cntrl s then close.

Tl;dr make sure notepad is run as admin

Yeah I just noticed the problem I had, I had the open option looking for .txt files only instead of all files.
    Appreciate the reply though
    Edited by Dayth on June 1, 2018 5:58PM
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Are there any European institutions that I can inform and ask about this spyware if it's legal according to European law?
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    I don't want to block it or work around it, I want to delete it.

Question: Will I be screwed if I go home and delete this file? Does it need to be on my system in order to play ESO?

Game will not run if you delete the .dll
  • Rawkan
    Rawkan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I can hear Mark Zuckerberg laughing in the distance. It's also about time to get over the election results.
    Edited by Rawkan on June 1, 2018 5:59PM