The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Sloads is not OP

Strider__Roshin
Strider__Roshin
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
Yeah that's right it's not OP. As a matter of fact I encourage you to use it since it will increase my survivability as a medium armor wearer. Here's the truth of the matter, Sloads is weak against non-cloak medium armored builds because we're used to undodgeable proc sets that rip through our health. Want to really destroy a medium armor build? Use Caluurion or Zaan. What Sloads is strong against are cloaking Nightblades, and play styles that rely on damage shields. Thinking about using Caluurion, Sloads' and Zaan/Skoria? Go right ahead. If you're going against a competent player like me you'll die first because you're not spec'd for resource management or survivability.

Damage shields is an untouched defense mechanic when it comes to abilities, and mist form is a better escape than both cloak and streak in most cases. Both of these defense mechanics are the most affected by Sload's and I say it's about time.

ZOS I would actually like to see more oblivion damage in PvE because if you think shields are strong in PvP they are way stronger in PvE.

So if you want to use a proc set; may I suggest thinking about what kind of opponent gives you a hard time, and spec accordingly.

If you struggle against medium armored builds then go with Skoria, Zaan or Caluurion.

If you struggle against cloaking Nightblades or magSorcs then go with Sloads.

If you struggle against magplars then go with Duroks, and use minor defile poisons.

Cheers, and may the proc be with you.

As a disclaimer, if it were up to me I'd make it so no damaging proc sets affected players, and I would make snake blood (alchemy passive) reduce the potency of poisons applied on you in order to make this game as competitive and skill based as possible, but I'm not in change of balance. So we need to either adapt to the proc meta or continue raging. Your choice.
Edited by Strider__Roshin on May 31, 2018 12:33AM
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    4chan-ish comments coming below
    Back from my last hiatus. 2021 a new start.
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll comment here as well.

When sorcs complained about shieldbreaker, the community pretty collectively told them to suck it up. Now oblivion damage sets affect everyone and they think it's OP.

Come talk to me when you get ambushed on your magsorc by three skilled stamblades wearing shieldbreaker.
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
  • ll_Rev
    ll_Rev
    ✭✭✭✭
    Drummerx04 wrote: »

When sorcs complained about shieldbreaker, the community pretty collectively told them to suck it up. Now oblivion damage sets affect everyone and they think it's OP.

Come talk to me when you get ambushed on your magsorc by three skilled stamblades wearing shieldbreaker.

No skilled nightblade would run shieldbreaker lmao
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Three sorcs applying haunting curse at the same time to one stamblade will melt faster than your metaphorical sorc will. And no proc set is necessary to make that scenario happen.
  • Ectheliontnacil
    Ectheliontnacil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is this another issue of "how to trigger the forums in one sentence"? ^^
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this another issue of "how to trigger the forums in one sentence"? ^^

Eatin popcorn wanna join me
  • Kova
    Kova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tumblr_li9oa59pCG1qh1a7m.jpg
    EP Sorc: Aydinn
    AD Stamplar: Verdant`Knight
    DC Stamblade: Apple`Punch
    EP Stam Sorc: Kós
    AD DragonKnight: Transmigrant
    EP NIghtblade: Aydinn
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that's true at all. I think there's a wide consensus among experienced PVP players that Shieldbreaker represents bad game design and promotes poor gameplay. Even among those who use it.

The same goes for proc damage sets and poisons.

Before Vipers was updated to V16 and available in Impen, we had Camohunter gank builds that were widely despised in ESO 2.2. ZOS recognized this and changed Camohunter completely, but then followed up by updating sets like Vipers and introducing Velidreth, Selene, Tremorscale, etc...

Like with Camohunter, ZOS responded to the widespread dislike of Vipers and Tremorscale by changing them, only to follow up with even more more proc sets like Zaan and Sloads.

This is pitiful game design meant to raise the floor and lower the ceiling which is toxic to PVP game design. It is a big reason why ESO PVP isn't popular compared to other PVP games. True PVP players don't want this RNG garbage and polarizing sets and abilities with few or no counters.
    Edited by zyk on May 30, 2018 10:15PM
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Youtubers say it's OP therefore it's OP

Don't you know the rules here or something?
  • WaltherCarraway
    WaltherCarraway
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voxicity wrote: »

Makes me think of the Mother Sorrow “pre-grind” fest before Morrowind just because Alcast had the set on his PTS build.

ZOS nerfed the set on last minute, what a twist.
  • Voxicity
    Voxicity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voxicity wrote: »

Makes me think of the Mother Sorrow “pre-grind” fest before Morrowind just because Alcast had the set on his PTS build.

ZOS nerfed the set on last minute, what a twist.

I remember that

Was a good meem
  • BRCOURTN
    BRCOURTN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know a few streamers who now specifically target anyone they can tell is wearing sloads in battlegrounds now. They've explained their reasoning for not using it/wanting it nerfed is that they don't have fun playing against it, and it will take people away from PVP, which doesn't have a huge population anyways. I'll probably make a set on Xbox when it comes out, and I don't see it as something that'll make or break someone's opinion of their PVP experience. If anything, maybe newcomers will think "Oh a go-to set I can use for PVP" and they'll give it another shot.
  • Cage_Lizardman
    Cage_Lizardman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just please don't nerf it before I have the time to make one and play with it.

Cloak needs better counters. Nightblades need to die more.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sload is not OP in a vacuum. Sload can become OP when combined with specific gameplay mechanics, when multiple procs stack on 1 person OR because of the incorrect classification of Oblivion Damage that prevents cloak suppressing the DoT effect.

Unfortunately I think you need to consider that when debating balance, not how something performs in a vacuum but it’s interaction with other mechanics.

Edit: nothing is individually OP and everything has a counter. It is the interaction that things have with the remainder of the gaming environment that can create problematic outliers and undesirable situations where balance does not exist. So on the surface you’re right, Sload’s isn’t OP. But in reality, because of the interaction it has with many mechanics(major defile and bleeds specifically) it is too strong in some outlier situations
    Edited by Lexxypwns on May 30, 2018 11:31PM
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    Sload is not OP in a vacuum. Sload can become OP when combined with specific gameplay mechanics, when multiple procs stack on 1 person OR because of the incorrect classification of Oblivion Damage that prevents cloak suppressing the DoT effect.

Unfortunately I think you need to consider that when debating balance, not how something performs in a vacuum but it’s interaction with other mechanics.

Edit: nothing is individually OP and everything has a counter. It is the interaction that things have with the remainder of the gaming environment that can create problematic outliers and undesirable situations where balance does not exist. So on the surface you’re right, Sload’s isn’t OP. But in reality, because of the interaction it has with many mechanics(major defile and bleeds specifically) it is too strong in some outlier situations

You're not wrong, but a lot of things become OP when used with other mechanics. For example Caluurion is meh if used at range, by unavoidable at melee range. Caluurion is also by nature a little random about when it procs. When used by a magblade with shadowy disguise however, you can reliably time your burst around the proc.

In reference to it becoming OP when stacked...
    In a 1v1 scenario Haunting Curse is strong, but as long as you don't get reckless it won't put you in Endless Fury range. Get multiple curses on you however, and you're dead. And there's nothing you can do about it as a stamblade.
    Edited by Strider__Roshin on May 31, 2018 12:10AM
  • Gprime31
    Gprime31
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you need proc sets... you are bad. Period
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gprime31 wrote: »
    If you need proc sets... you are bad. Period

Prepare to get killed by a lot of bad people.
  • Malacthulhu
    Malacthulhu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Did you equip the 5th piece, jk. Good post op.
    Xbox One Na
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Daus wrote: »
    Yeah that's right it's not OP. As a matter of fact I encourage you to use it since it will increase my survivability as a medium armor wearer. Here's the truth of the matter, Sloads is weak against non-cloak medium armored builds because we're used to undodgeable proc sets that rip through our health. Want to really destroy a medium armor build? Use Caluurion or Zaan. What Sloads is strong against are cloaking Nightblades, and play styles that rely on damage shields. Thinking about using Caluurion, Sloads' and Zaan/Skoria? Go right ahead. If you're going against a competent player like me you'll die first because you're not spec'd for resource management or survivability.

Damage shields is an untouched defense mechanic when it comes to abilities, and mist form is a better escape than both cloak and streak in most cases. Both of these defense mechanics are the most affected by Sload's and I say it's about time.

ZOS I would actually like to see more oblivion damage in PvE because if you think shields are strong in PvP they are way stronger in PvE.

So if you want to use a proc set; may I suggest thinking about what kind of opponent gives you a hard time, and spec accordingly.

If you struggle against medium armored builds then go with Skoria, Zaan or Caluurion.

If you struggle against cloaking Nightblades or magSorcs then go with Zaan.

If you struggle against magplars then go with Duroks, and use minor defile poisons.

As a disclaimer, if it were up to me I'd make it so no damaging proc sets affected players, and I would make snake blood (alchemy passive) reduce the potency of poisons applied on you in order to make this game as competitive and skill based as possible, but I'm not in change of balance. So we need to either adapt to the proc meta or continue raging. Your choice.

dude, this set averages more than caluurion after mitigation and proc times

also im sorry you havent learned how to kill sorcs by now and are this bitter about it, idk maybe slot shieldbreaker or just learn to stun more effectively instead of mindlessly spamming wrecking blow or whatever
    Edited by ezio45 on May 31, 2018 12:37AM
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

sloads also is worse than shield breaker average dps wise......

and i say that as a sorc who hates both sets
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »

Most DoTs (or delayed burst attacks) equate to higher damage than instant burst abilities.
  • DanteYoda
    DanteYoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If a lot of customers instantly use it and do way to well with it that is by definition overpowered..
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Three sorcs applying haunting curse at the same time to one stamblade will melt faster than your metaphorical sorc will. And no proc set is necessary to make that scenario happen.

again maybe 3 haunting curses will MAYBE *** a stam blade up more than sloads and thats even questionale
  • ezio45
    ezio45
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »

Most DoTs (or delayed burst attacks) equate to higher damage than instant burst abilities.

yes so why are we having this discussion? an unmitigated dot?

if you cant live thru caluurion then you cant live thru sloads

and caluurion is a set not an ability
    Edited by ezio45 on May 31, 2018 12:44AM
  • Lake
    Lake
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm expecting a nerf anyway since all the top streamers (many of whom are also class reps and community ambassadors) keep aggressively campaigning against it, even attacking Wrobel and threatening to never play Battlegrounds or whatever.

Edited by Lake on May 31, 2018 12:46AM
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »

Gah, I came in here to say this. Hi Lexxy. lol
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
  • Dredlord
    Dredlord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally had a death where sloads showed up on the death recap. Pathetic damage.

5700 over 7 ticks

I doubt I will craft a set up anymore.

Clearly its all sorcs and NB whining about, probably well over half the pvp players represented there. Scrub talk is loud atm.
  • degarmo_ESO
    degarmo_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Time for a no-CP, all naked, no buff/potion/mundus PVP home instance.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

If you struggle against cloaking Nightblades or magSorcs then go with Sloads.

This is exactly what I've been saying for days... -.-

As a non-gank stamina NB I confirm. Both CP and NonCP is where I hang too. So your arguments are invalid.

Also I'm NOT using mistform.
    Edited by Nyladreas on May 31, 2018 3:03AM
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol mistform better than cloak. Your argument is now invalid.

And yes the large issue with sloads is against shield and light armor users.

Also what do you mean that shields are an untouched defense machanic? They’ve been nerfed quite a lot and currently are affected by all types of damage. It’s not like shields are just impenetrable until the timer is up. Some of the most knowledgeable people in this game are calling Sloads OP. You just sound like you’re trying to make a sensational post for its own sake.
    Edited by Vapirko on May 31, 2018 2:58AM
This discussion has been closed.