The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magicka Warden PvP - strong, weak, balanced?

• Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Maulkin you don't really need that many Shields and fortress for that kind of build. I run practically the same thing sub fortress for Accelerated Drain. It's skoria Winterborn and now with changes probably Caluurion

Edit: frost staff. It's pure proc, cuz like you can't really kill too much with warden abilities alone anymore

Well Minor Protection applies to the shields too which is kinda necessary from my POV in no-CP BGs. The lack of Bastion is really telling. And buffing the groups resistances is good as well. When I play MagDen it’s usually with a MagPlar buddy (also high damage destro build) so any buffs we can give each other is good news.

What’s your burst mrotation? Do you go Flies, Fissure, Meteor, Drain?

EU | PC | AD
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »
    @Maulkin you don't really need that many Shields and fortress for that kind of build. I run practically the same thing sub fortress for Accelerated Drain. It's skoria Winterborn and now with changes probably Caluurion

Edit: frost staff. It's pure proc, cuz like you can't really kill too much with warden abilities alone anymore

Well Minor Protection applies to the shields too which is kinda necessary from my POV in no-CP BGs. The lack of Bastion is really telling. And buffing the groups resistances is good as well. When I play MagDen it’s usually with a MagPlar buddy (also high damage destro build) so any buffs we can give each other is good news.

What’s your burst mrotation? Do you go Flies, Fissure, Meteor, Drain?

Essentially, but with 3 proc sets, I've pulled many kills while still being dead.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey,

well, as far as I can see u guys really going the more "being like a sorc" route.

Actually I only use harness magicka, a lot of my defense comes from blocking (SNB back), vines, blue netch, shimmering. In a 1v1 I barely use my shield at all.

OFC, I use wizards riposte, but Im so used to that playstyle and I just dont want to play with too many shields, since I know I could just go on my sorc and do better.

For next patch Ill probs to double destro, inferno or shock + charged frost back, although it is depending If I want to keep skoria or switch to pirate, in that case I wont need the minor maim chill effect.

Im also pretty sure that Will go Swift on all jewelry traits , since as I said, my 1vX is heavily dependant on movement etc.

Bars dont know yet, maybe:

1 shock/inferno:
    Stun/fissure/pulse/shield/armor - Northern storm

2 frost:
    wall/vines/shimmering/netch/mist - destro Frost ulti

Setwise I have no clue yet, but necro is 100% for me.

So something like necro/skoria or pirate/x

x could shackle, proc set and, actually really not bad on magicka warden -> ranger set (50% weaker snares). If I use Tanger Will change mist for Falcon/x and adjust my potions.
  • Skander
    Skander
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the mood in here is (justifiably) glumly, but I'm trying to look past the disappointment and work out how I should play my MagDen next patch considering the incoming changes.

Bear in mind I main MagSorc and generally my style of play gravitates towards light armour damage builds with destro/resto. I play my MagDK and MagBlade the same way. I've tried to play heavy armour tanky builds (on MagDK and MagBlade) and it just isn't my style. Also I play 90% in the BGs. So with that in mind...

d0hNQfI.png

The key here is that I plan to play Lightning Staff to buff my frontbar AoE ult, Fissure, Blockade and also to get the stun from Reach. Not 100% sure if I should have Ice Comet or double bar Northern Storm.

Obviously I'm lacking snares and roots outside of ults, though Entrapping poison is gold if you run Blockade. It procs a lot.

Sets are a bit muddy. Necropotence is a must ofc. The rest I'm not sure on. One option is Necro+Shackle+Skoria, because with Fletcher Flies, Blockade and Reach dots it should proc a lot. Also will boost your single target damage which is otherwise a bit poo. Or drop Shackle and go Necro, Skoria, Masters Lightning, with a backbar set like Lich/Riposte. I'm a bit torn on that.

I'm not entirely sure how this will perform solo, but in group it should offer a helluva lot of utility with AoE Major Breach, Northern Storm, and strong ground AoEs with high chance of Off-Balance.

I'm missing the AoE defile which is extremely valuable, but space is really tight it. If I drop Flether flies, my single target damage is just Fissure and Reach spam and Skoria will proc less. If I drop BoP, I have no movement. So I'm inclined to leave it out atm, as the build is already quite a bit AoE focused. But i might revisit this choice.

That's the best I could come up with so far.

Not enough healing and next patch, no cc

Rip Ice staff warden
    Edited by Skander on April 18, 2018 9:44AM
    I meme, but my memes are so truthful they hurt
    -Elder Nightblades Online
    Want competitive pvp while being outnumbered? Tough luck, the devs clearly said you have to die in those situations
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the mood in here is (justifiably) glumly, but I'm trying to look past the disappointment and work out how I should play my MagDen next patch considering the incoming changes.

Bear in mind I main MagSorc and generally my style of play gravitates towards light armour damage builds with destro/resto. I play my MagDK and MagBlade the same way. I've tried to play heavy armour tanky builds (on MagDK and MagBlade) and it just isn't my style. Also I play 90% in the BGs. So with that in mind...

d0hNQfI.png

The key here is that I plan to play Lightning Staff to buff my frontbar AoE ult, Fissure, Blockade and also to get the stun from Reach. Not 100% sure if I should have Ice Comet or double bar Northern Storm.

Obviously I'm lacking snares and roots outside of ults, though Entrapping poison is gold if you run Blockade. It procs a lot.

Sets are a bit muddy. Necropotence is a must ofc. The rest I'm not sure on. One option is Necro+Shackle+Skoria, because with Fletcher Flies, Blockade and Reach dots it should proc a lot. Also will boost your single target damage which is otherwise a bit poo. Or drop Shackle and go Necro, Skoria, Masters Lightning, with a backbar set like Lich/Riposte. I'm a bit torn on that.

I'm not entirely sure how this will perform solo, but in group it should offer a helluva lot of utility with AoE Major Breach, Northern Storm, and strong ground AoEs with high chance of Off-Balance.

I'm missing the AoE defile which is extremely valuable, but space is really tight it. If I drop Flether flies, my single target damage is just Fissure and Reach spam and Skoria will proc less. If I drop BoP, I have no movement. So I'm inclined to leave it out atm, as the build is already quite a bit AoE focused. But i might revisit this choice.

The sad thing is, your emulating a nerfed sorcerer, which is going to be a lot better since it has Streak, Fury, an actual CC, and stronger shields.

A class should be all about, "Hey, I get to use this skill, which nobody else has access to and does this really cool thing." Right now, Magicka Warden have one such skill: Shimmering Shield. Everything is meh, accessible elsewhere, has limited options, and just isn't something that makes me want to play the spec. I do think Ice Storm is solid ultimate, but it's just that, an ultimate that usually is not available to use.

Warden skills are so uninspiring it makes my boring Templar's Reflective Light seem exciting. Reflective Light, without even considering passives, damages 3 opponents, gives me 10% crit, ticks every second, and snares my opponents. What does Fletcher Flies do? *crickets*
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never gonna land another ice comet without a reliable stun. Goodbye mag warden. It was nice knowing you. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Thanks ZOS for making us pay for this class, driving it into the ground after 1 year, and buffing NBs for us all to reroll and all be invisible fighting each other. Gg
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hutch679 wrote: »
    Never gonna land another ice comet without a reliable stun. Goodbye mag warden. It was nice knowing you. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Thanks ZOS for making us pay for this class, driving it into the ground after 1 year, and buffing NBs for us all to reroll and all be invisible fighting each other. Gg

Now u got me, maybe thats part of the plan, something from ZOS like:

1000 vs 1000 without lag and 100 fps - of course all nb's seeking each other.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

d0hNQfI.png

The sad thing is, your emulating a nerfed sorcerer, which is going to be a lot better since it has Streak, Fury, an actual CC, and stronger shields.

A class should be all about, "Hey, I get to use this skill, which nobody else has access to and does this really cool thing." Right now, Magicka Warden have one such skill: Shimmering Shield. Everything is meh, accessible elsewhere, has limited options, and just isn't something that makes me want to play the spec. I do think Ice Storm is solid ultimate, but it's just that, an ultimate that usually is not available to use.

Warden skills are so uninspiring it makes my boring Templar's Reflective Light seem exciting. Reflective Light, without even considering passives, damages 3 opponents, gives me 10% crit, ticks every second, and snares my opponents. What does Fletcher Flies do? *crickets*

Yes and no.

I'm certainly playing the Warden a lot like Sorcerer, but that's mainly because I'm generally gravitating towards a playstyle of shields + a lot of damage. I do the same with MagDK and MagBlade like I said, classes that certainly have more options and are not in a bad spot.

I actually think Shimmering shield is as good as Hardened. Much better in some scenarios and obviously worse in other. So the shields are not the problem. The lack of execute, mobility and single target burst is where Warden is lacking compared to Sorc. Superior AoE damage (for PvP) and a plethora of buffs/debuffs is what is unique about the Warden and what it does better than Sorc. I can Major Defile and Major Breach opponents. I can give allies Major Protection, Major Ward and Major Resolve. I can get Major Mending, Minor Heroism for myself.

I do think that the class needs a bit of help, but I don't think it's lacking identity as badly. I mean I have 7 Sorc skills on my bars and I have the exact same number on my Warden. It's not like Stamsorc pre-Morrowind that had like 2 Sorc skills on the bar. The sad thing is that now Frost builds, which are the theme of the class, are gonna become more rare outside of tanking because of the lack of stun from frost staff or any class skill.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Hutch679
    Hutch679
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torbschka wrote: »
    Hutch679 wrote: »

Now u got me, maybe thats part of the plan, something from ZOS like:

1000 vs 1000 without lag and 100 fps - of course all nb's seeking each other.

Yeah just everyone in stealth. Never come across any players. The way ZOS intends it to be. You know giving an ultimate the ability to do 20% more damage, stun, cost practically no ultimate, and apply major defile to targets because they NEED that to be viable. Hey wardens can throw bugs at you tho
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Skander wrote: »

d0hNQfI.png

Not enough healing and next patch, no cc

Rip Ice staff warden

Ice staff Warden is nerfed, not RIP. It will be viable but only for tanky builds that go Frost Staff+S&B with a lot of Snares and Buffs/Debuffs. Builds focused on group support and survivability while lettings other do the killing. It's a shame that it's pigeon holed like that, but it's not dead exactly.

Mag Warden has very good healing. I'm not sure what what you're talking about there though. If you're talking about my build specifically it's pretty standard for light armour build. My Sorc doesn't have much more healing either. At least Warden can build for a healing build, something Sorc can't do. Some pretty mean Warden healers in the BGs.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    Didnt want to make a new thread, so maybe we can share some new set combos here, at least for the few of us that still "here".

• Vynist
    Vynist
    ✭✭✭
    Sooooooo... I started my magicka warden last night and got to lvl 6... now I read this thread.

lol

How screwed am I?

Actually I probably won't mind. Back when ESO first launched I played a templar and templar was in a bad spot and I still had loads of fun trying to fight an uphill battle against the stronger classes.
  • HeathenDeacon
    HeathenDeacon
    ✭✭✭
    Switching to Stam today, good luck guys! :D
  • Gnozo
    Gnozo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually enjoy my magwarden. But i play him more tanky group Support. I Go with double sword and board. Using shackle and Necro with bloodspawm. Still good damage and Healing. And also tanky in Light Armor.

I still manage to kill ppl with cliff racer and deep fissure but i must admim that this is Not often. But its also not my goal. I am more Healbot/Defile bot. We mostly in a 4-6 man group and actually managed to kill big organizied Ball groups cause as a magwarden u can apply a Lot of hots without a restostaff for mutagen. Thats why i Go 2x s&b. Using permafrost when pushing with deep fissure for major breach and curropting pollen for major defile. Using natures gasp to compensate my low Mobility and giving strong hots to me and my group. Also double s&b gives a lot of tankiness.

Also with right placement enchanted growth can hit everyone in your group with 1 single cast. Healing them and giving more stam and mag recovery.
    Edited by Gnozo on June 6, 2018 9:18AM
  • donJay
    donJay
    ✭✭✭
    Magdens UNITE!
    ANIMOSITY BEST GUILD NA + EU
    Former Los Pepes
    Former Nemesìs
    Former Dynamic
    Former Nexus

EP | Magplar l Argonian l don-Jay
    DC | Magden | High Elf | don-Bae

Magden Solo PvP Vid
  • Synozeer
    Synozeer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I turned my magden into a trolltank and am having a blast. Sure I don't do damage, but what magden does these days? ;)
    Watch my PvP Videos on YouTube

Azoi - Nightblade - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - 1st DC NA Grand Overlord
    Hzarn - Templar - Daggerfall Covenant - NA Server - Grand Overlord
    ...and many more.