The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Magicka Warden PvP - strong, weak, balanced?

• Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If played as a support/healer, I found magicka warden to be extremely potent.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IV_Deity wrote: »
    I tried the magic warden for a bit and it was fun to use, but it lacks an execute. Killing players below a certain amount of health became a harder task than if I were to use other classes with executes available. Survivability was great however. Magic in PvP isn't really my thing so I went back to using my stamina characters lol.

The only magicka class with an execute worth a bar spot is sorc. The others; impale and RD, just don’t hit that hard until the target is so low to begin with, a regular ability would have been enough. RD is slightly better to just beam roll dodgers in panic mode.
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I personally feel like MagDen needs a buff since the nerf to birds. The lack of execute is quite problematic for both PvP and PvE DPS. Shimmering Shield seen in isolation is too strong but if that gets nerfed now, MagDen will be pretty shafted while StamDen will be more inline.

Personally I'd make these few changes to the class first.
    1) Screaming Cliff Racer.
    • Reduce the base damage by 10%.
    • Speed up the travel time of base skill.
    • Replace the 15% extra damage based on distance with 100% extra damage on below 25% HP enemies
    I'd basically turn it into a decent spammable that becomes an execute for mag builds.

2) Fletcher Flies
    • Fletcher Infection to gain base damage increase of 30% instead of 70% every 2nd cast.
    • Growing Swarm to become a stamina morph to help PvE DPS

3) Rework Arctic Wind. The whole skill could take a 30% cost reduction and still it's doubtful it'd be used. It's grossly overpriced. It needs that cost reduction and some other changes on top.
    • Polar Winds morph needs to remain the Tanky version scaling off Max health but also needs to extend the HoT element to all teammates within range.
    • Arctic Blast should become more useful to normal builds and thus scale off Max Magicka/Spell Dmg.

Otherwise the class plays mostly well. it shines in small group with a bit of support. If you got a team that includes a MagPlar (not necessarily a dedicate healbot) that can help you out with Purifies and a heal every now and then, you become very potent.
    EU | PC | AD
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    If those new changes go through , magicka warden is the worst pvp class by far haha..
  • JXNwarrior
    JXNwarrior
    ✭✭✭
    Maulkin wrote: »
    I personally feel like MagDen needs a buff since the nerf to birds. The lack of execute is quite problematic for both PvP and PvE DPS. Shimmering Shield seen in isolation is too strong but if that gets nerfed now, MagDen will be pretty shafted while StamDen will be more inline.

Personally I'd make these few changes to the class first.
    1) Screaming Cliff Racer.
    • Reduce the base damage by 10%.
    • Speed up the travel time of base skill.
    • Replace the 15% extra damage based on distance with 100% extra damage on below 25% HP enemies
    I'd basically turn it into a decent spammable that becomes an execute for mag builds.

2) Fletcher Flies
    • Fletcher Infection to gain base damage increase of 30% instead of 70% every 2nd cast.
    • Growing Swarm to become a stamina morph to help PvE DPS

3) Rework Arctic Wind. The whole skill could take a 30% cost reduction and still it's doubtful it'd be used. It's grossly overpriced. It needs that cost reduction and some other changes on top.
    • Polar Winds morph needs to remain the Tanky version scaling off Max health but also needs to extend the HoT element to all teammates within range.
    • Arctic Blast should become more useful to normal builds and thus scale off Max Magicka/Spell Dmg.

Otherwise the class plays mostly well. it shines in small group with a bit of support. If you got a team that includes a MagPlar (not necessarily a dedicate healbot) that can help you out with Purifies and a heal every now and then, you become very potent.

^^this
    PC NA 300 CP
    PS4 NA 1200+ CP
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far they are losing the stun but gaining damage, I like that
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Losing the stun is a massive nerf in pvp.
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    I feel the same, especially since it was a stun went through dodge roll. Right now we gain nothing but lose one of the warden "repräsentative" skills..
  • kerthas
    kerthas
    ✭✭✭
    and they can nerf shimmering shield, its to *** strong, give heroïsme major, just wtf. I used to play it on my magden, but the other morph is way more better on a light armor magden.

But on stam, its just too strong.
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭
    They cant do, I cant agree with every1 who says the loss of the stun has any advantage.

E.g., Ifu like to play Frost Staffel in pvp, u wohnt have a *** stun anymore, unless u go Vamp and slot drain....

Who is magicka warden rwpresentative? For real...
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torbschka wrote: »
    They cant do, I cant agree with every1 who says the loss of the stun has any advantage.

E.g., Ifu like to play Frost Staffel in pvp, u wohnt have a *** stun anymore, unless u go Vamp and slot drain....

That's exactly what you do. Accelerated drain is a superior stun to fissure. You can cast pre fissure to land it, or post fissure to kill.

If there was an execute (non bear related) or a powerful spam ability, the loss of the stun Would be important, but Magden doesn't have these, therefore THE ONLY follow up to the stun is Force. If a follow up Force after a stun is what allowed you to kill, you won't experience any difference. That's like a 4k dmg ability.... That's pathetic for damage.

The loss of undodgeable birds IS a Nerf, that actually made a HUGE difference, this will not - except help Magden be better in groups and PvE
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's exactly what you do. Accelerated drain is a superior stun to fissure. You can cast pre fissure to land it, or post fissure to kill.

If there was an execute (non bear related) or a powerful spam ability, the loss of the stun Would be important, but Magden doesn't have these, therefore THE ONLY follow up to the stun is Force. If a follow up Force after a stun is what allowed you to kill, you won't experience any difference. That's like a 4k dmg ability.... That's pathetic for damage.

The loss of undodgeable birds IS a Nerf, that actually made a HUGE difference, this will not - except help Magden be better in groups and PvE

That's why people run the asylum destro. It's another 1.5k damage in pvp. 5.5k execute will finish most people.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why people run the asylum destro. It's another 1.5k damage in pvp. 5.5k execute will finish most people.

But will you even wanna run asylum with the new 2h changes? That's gonna make asylum less valuable and make running the set up more costly
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But will you even wanna run asylum with the new 2h changes? That's gonna make asylum less valuable and make running the set up more costly

I was going to run it till I noticed this change as I could back bar lich (3 jewelry and resto) and have infinite sustain while still running my asylum inferno.
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What a huge bunch of nonsense. I feel exactly the opposite - don't care about birds, but man that fissure stun is essential for basically all my builds - it's a superb cc to time stuff with due to its delayed nature. If you insist on thinking you made some genius find with drain - thats fine, but stop belittleing the loss of THE key cc for magWardens and advertizing drain as viable replacement, because it is not.
    Edited by Mojomonkeyman on April 4, 2018 6:46PM
    Koma Grey, Chocolate Thunder, Little Mojo, Dagoth Mojo & Mojomancy
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What a huge bunch of nonsense. I feel exactly the opposite - don't care about birds, but man that fissure stun is essential for basically all my builds - it's a superb cc to time stuff with due to its delayed nature. If you insist on thinking you made some genius find with drain - thats fine, but stop belittleing the loss of THE key cc for magWardens and advertizing drain as viable replacement, because it is not.

No I didn't make any genius discovery, that was several other experienced players before me.

I would love to see anyone post some numbers to show me how well they actually are doing. I have a feeling they are attributing success to the wrong attributes
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭

Cant believe u are really arguing for that change. Are u really going to tell me, that the need to slot drain and the lose to fissure stun is a "buff"?

I know fissure will get penetration, cool, I could have has that before with elemental drain + infinite sustain.

So, u ae arguing for:

- its good that u have to be Vamp if playing with frost Staff
    -its good that we need 1 more skill on our bar and lose inner light or whatever
    - its good that we can stun now after our burst, not with it

Are u seriöus @Waffennacht ?

With ur points, that its better to stun after burst, every1 should be happy that they removed the stun of crystal frag (ask sorcs lol) or that it would be cool to remove the stun of incap or dawnbreaker.

I see what u are TRYING to say, but IMO its garbage. I dont see the benefit of needing 1 more skill on bar + 1 more global CD to stun. Fissure, dmg skill, dmg skill, ulti is no longer possible.

I also cant agree on what u saying, fissure is an 100% reliable stun for me (u are on console right, might be aiming issue?)

Also ur arguing here is super " cheap" - " u can cast fissure for/after the stun" lol. And the benefit of that is what? Casting it after 3 drain my burst comes 3 sec after I did stun my target....great, lol. Stunning it to land my fissure is 1 more CD where I cant do DMG for the same effect as before. Fissure stun was good vs dodge roll, so is drain, no benefit either.

After the nerf of birds which sucked but at least " understandable" we r gonna lose the classic skill warden is known for and its just the same as the stamina morph, how innovative.

Are u our "representative"...?

And what do u mean by " showing" numbers? Want me to post my 20+ kills bg's lol?

I just hope that every magden player will argue against that crap...

• Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Cant believe u are really arguing for that change. Are u really going to tell me, that the need to slot drain and the lose to fissure stun is a "buff"?

I know fissure will get penetration, cool, I could have has that before with elemental drain + infinite sustain.

So, u ae arguing for:

With ur points, that its better to stun after burst, every1 should be happy that they removed the stun of crystal frag (ask sorcs lol) or that it would be cool to remove the stun of incap or dawnbreaker.

I see what u are TRYING to say, but IMO its garbage. I dont see the benefit of needing 1 more skill on bar + 1 more global CD to stun. Fissure, dmg skill, dmg skill, ulti is no longer possible.

I also cant agree on what u saying, fissure is an 100% reliable stun for me (u are on console right, might be aiming issue?)

Also ur arguing here is super " cheap" - " u can cast fissure for/after the stun" lol. And the benefit of that is what? Casting it after 3 drain my burst comes 3 sec after I did stun my target....great, lol. Stunning it to land my fissure is 1 more CD where I cant do DMG for the same effect as before. Fissure stun was good vs dodge roll, so is drain, no benefit either.

After the nerf of birds which sucked but at least " understandable" we r gonna lose the classic skill warden is known for and its just the same as the stamina morph, how innovative.

And what do u mean by " showing" numbers? Want me to post my 20+ kills bg's lol?

I am not the representative, if I were I doubt I'd be allowed to talk about it because there's a lot more changes coming.

I would love to see your BG scores and the corresponding build :)

Again, there's a major aiming difference between console and PC.

It's fine you guys disagree, wouldn't be the first time, time will tell
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So, u ae arguing for:

I am not the representative, if I were I doubt I'd be allowed to talk about it because there's a lot more changes coming.

I really doubt anyone cares about BG screenshots. Your opponents skill level matters as much or more than your own.

I don't have trouble aiming shalks. I had a lot of practice landing the blazing spear cc before ZOS took it away too.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So, u ae arguing for:

I really doubt anyone cares about BG screenshots. Your opponents skill level matters as much or more than your own.

I don't have trouble aiming shalks. I had a lot of practice landing the blazing spear cc before ZOS took it away too.

Hrm, I don't think anyone has been able to keep my Magden from scoring 3k+

Which is my point. That old Magden build can't perform like it use to. There's a limit how well that build can do. While my build or @Rouder scores 20+ kills, over millions of damage etc etc
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭

So, u ae arguing for:

Its no hard feelings against you or anything, in that case I just cant see any reasonsble arguing FOR that change. There are circumstances at best, which drain stun might be useful, but the reasons listed above still stay.

Furthermore - if u like to have a "reliable" stun , just slot it "NOW" , u r just missing penetration. Most of us like using class skills, have to be vamp for being able to stun with a class designed with a frost theme in mind using a Frost Staff...come on.

Sure, when im at home (around 7pm CET) I'll make a BG, setup is the one already posted here I guess, although I still change stuff frequently.
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭

So, u ae arguing for:

Which is my point. That old Magden build can't perform like it use to. There's a limit how well that build can do. While my build or @Rouder scores 20+ kills, over millions of damage etc etc

Wow, now its getting weird, how is "being able to kill 20 people/1mil DMG " any arguement for / against that change, especially since u speak about no CP BG's? Its the same as duel builds, makes no sense balancing for that.

And "the old" magden build might not working anymore for u, for me it still does (open world, outnumbered 1vX).

Show me an open world cyro gameplay and trolol... - see what I did here?
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So, u ae arguing for:

Its no hard feelings against you or anything, in that case I just cant see any reasonsble arguing FOR that change. There are circumstances at best, which drain stun might be useful, but the reasons listed above still stay.

Furthermore - if u like to have a "reliable" stun , just slot it "NOW" , u r just missing penetration. Most of us like using class skills, have to be vamp for being able to stun with a class designed with a frost theme in mind using a Frost Staff...come on.

Sure, when im at home (around 7pm CET) I'll make a BG, setup is the one already posted here I guess, although I still change stuff frequently.

Wanna know what I'm picturing? Coming up against 3 opponents sitting in a flag.

You are cast fissure.

Atm: your fissure stuns one... And another steps infront making pulse+ bird all sorts of f'ed up. Your CC is wasted... And maybe you can focus one down before the other two stomp you.

After change: all 3 now have a major debuff - again not much better than above scenario, but something is better than nothing.

I do want warden to have a CC. I know these aren't the final changes, untying the CC from fissure allows warden to get a good CC
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Torbschka
    Torbschka
    ✭✭✭✭

So, u ae arguing for:

Wanna know what I'm picturing? Coming up against 3 opponents sitting in a flag.

You are cast fissure.

Atm: your fissure stuns one... And another steps infront making pulse+ bird all sorts of f'ed up. Your CC is wasted... And maybe you can focus one down before the other two stomp you.

After change: all 3 now have a major debuff - again not much better than above scenario, but something is better than nothing.

I do want warden to have a CC. I know these aren't the final changes, untying the CC from fissure allows warden to get a good CC

So 1 more global CD is better while fighting outnumbered? This is ur slecific scenario, heres mine:

Fighting with 5 people, animation cancelling fissure rolling behimnd a rock, charge heavy attack inferno, first guy comes through corner, DMG + stun + heavy attack + ulti = dead guy.

Well, as I said, fissure is a good CC and it seems for many other here. All I see is losing bar space / gcd and gaining a debuff i dont need / useless vs templars/mag sorcs and I already could use with a ressource tool in it.
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So, u ae arguing for:

You are making a fool out of yourself. You have stated yourself that you are not a top level player, but enjoy doing builds. All I have seen from console videos is just so far behind everything that is happening on PC that you can literally run terrible builds and have good results with it because people don't freaking turn around.

You trying to make a point with drain is in my honest opinion just further proof for you being completely out of touch with the game or maybe you have never been there in the first place. I could post my 75% winrate magwarden over several hundred BG games or cherrypick my 6k+ deatmatches, but why would I? To get your respect, seriously? To get the right to tell you that you have no idea what you are talking about?

I can do that right now, no need to brag.
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So, u ae arguing for:

Show me your open world 1vX videos like @Torbschka mentioned.

Stationary dots are horrible and delayed stuns are perfect for setting up burst in open world PvP. You can't only play in BGs and then expect to understand why open world players are upset about this change. I've NEVER seen you in open world before.

Blobs pet sorc build is a perfect example of delayed burst. It's all about stacking the most amount of damage possible in 1 game tick when a cc goes off. It's not a concept limited to the warden class.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is what I was referring to

GwAGn8j.png

Btw @mojo-powerpuffgirl I don't cherry pick, I'm always like that

@Ron_Burgundy_79 there all night tonight didn't see you at all either
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish Xbox didn't have only a 2 min recording time

Btw I use to say I wasn't the best, then @zParallaxz showed me what good really is and I have learned oh so much from him.

Edit: I am good, if not one of the best console PvP players. I personally know 20% of all leader board PvP players and not a single one is beyond my skill level.

Again though time will prove me correct again. They didn't believe me the first 5 times before (panacea, shield wall, proc sets, balance, spell symmetry etc)
    Edited by Waffennacht on April 5, 2018 6:57AM
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Mojomonkeyman
    Mojomonkeyman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

GwAGn8j.png

This is not even you? And yeah, his build is terrible. It got picked up by some pretty good players on PC EU and put to trash where it belongs shortly after. It only works on console plebs, sorry to tell ya. Every single "good" BG player has comparable games. Most I know of just don't care enough to make a hipster screenshot to post in every single thread they come across. It seems a little desperate, you know.
  • Ron_Burgundy_79
    Ron_Burgundy_79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

GwAGn8j.png

Haven't been on since they announced this horrible change. Prefer to spend my time playing pubgs on pc. They listened to their community and made some great changes to the new map.

Xbox max recording time is 5 minutes.

I've beaten him before Waff and hes beaten me. Names don't carry much weight to me in ESO. 90% of the community hasn't heard of some of the best players.

Edit: hopefully someone can explain to him why every single PvP leaderboard is a bad reference to use when determine whether you're good or not.
    Edited by Ron_Burgundy_79 on April 5, 2018 7:08AM