The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you both purchase and enjoy Crown Crates?

• Rain_Greyraven
    Rain_Greyraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really no way to get accurate numbers via the poll when you factor in people who refuse to participate and the minuscule amount of people that actually visit MMO forums of any type.

Unless the poll was made just to out people who purchase Crown Crates...which is silly.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

So you want to be a game developer? Here is the best way to go about it.
  • Graydon
    Graydon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like turtles (this is your "other" option).
    Other - I subscribe and get some crowns each month. I may buy a mount or pet, but never a crate.
  • Guarlet
    Guarlet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've gotten basically everything I ever wanted from a crate (a fancy mount) so I'm done for now. Down the road, buying the very rare few with sub crowns now and then for *** and giggles isn't totally off the table.

The poll options are kind of biased, BTW. I'm not buying crates because I'd rather buy things directly (they'd probably be hella expensive if you could), but because in any game, crate RNG tends to suck.

Therefore turtles. Turtles are nice.
    Edited by Guarlet on April 20, 2018 4:48PM
    AKA The Goblinator, PC/EU
  • Kuramas9tails
    Kuramas9tails
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spend money on Crown Crates because I want the content, but would rather buy their contents directly.
    I am still salty from 6 months back when I got the Cinder Wolf Apex mount and asked if I could exchange it for the Frost Drugar Senche Apex mount and you guys were like "no". (Both were Apex mounts from the Reaper Crates).

giphy.gif

I don't lust for Crate mounts anymore. I learned my lesson.
    Edited by Kuramas9tails on April 20, 2018 5:20PM
      Your friendly neighborhood crazy cat lady of ESO
      New PSN name: SundariTheLast. Proud seller in RedEye Empire, PURPLE GANG and Backalley Trading.
      AD High Elf Mageblade DPS (General)(Former Empress) -- Stormproof/VMOL, VHOF, VDSA completion
      AD Khajiit Mageblade DPS -- Flawless Conquerer
      FOR THE QUEEN!
      PS4/NA
    • TelvanniWizard
      TelvanniWizard
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I don't spend money on Crown Crates because I would rather buy it directly.
      Preffer to buy things, not to gamble to get a chance to get something. This is why I no longer spend money in this game.
    • LindsC
      LindsC
      ✭✭✭
      I spend money on Crown Crates because I want the content, but would rather buy their contents directly.
      If there is something that I really want, I'll buy them. No more than 30 crates a season though
    • DieAlteHexe
      DieAlteHexe
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      Preffer to buy things, not to gamble to get a chance to get something. This is why I no longer spend money in this game.

With respect to crates wouldn't a better statement be: I prefer to know exactly what I'm buying? Because there are no empty crates. There are crates which contain stuff "you" or I might not want but it's well past the "chance to get something" because you always do.

I can totally understand wanting to know exactly what you're buying, it's a sensible perspective. I wouldn't waste a cent on anything like that if I didn't know for certain I would be getting something.

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
    • beetleklee
      beetleklee
      ✭✭✭✭
      I usually buy a 15 pack or two but lately the crates have been getting scummier and scummier and will probably opt out next season (the items don't interest me as much as the Frostbane Mounts did)

First with the radiants, then with the unbuyable items when they rereleased Wild Hunt and Storm Atro around Christmas, and now apparently individual motif pages that are Crate only exclusives. That's a new low in my opinion, at least mounts are cosmetic and all of them perform the same. A lot of people collect motifs and want full completion, making the Maormer one crate only is really sad. And it's a really attractive looking motif. Milking the new outfit system, it seems...
      PC NA
      CP 690

EP Dunmer MagDK Level 50, Stormproof
      EP Dunmer MagSorc Level 50, Stormproof
      EP Argonian DK Tank Level 50, Boethiah's Scythe
      EP Breton Templar Healer Level 50
      EP Khajiit StamDK Level 50, Stormproof
      EP Dunmer Magblade Level 50, Assistant Alienist
      EP Argonian Stamden Level 50, Lady of Misrule (pvp)
      EP Dunmer Stamblade Level 50
      DC Redguard Stamplar
      AD Altmer Magwarden Healer

vMA, vDSA, vSO HM, vHRC HM, vAA, vAS+1, vMoL
    • DanteYoda
      DanteYoda
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I do not buy Crowns at all, and do not want or care for any of the content in either the shop or crates.
      This games cash shop is the worst i've ever seen in items price and gambling scams.. Zenimax should be proud of how scummy they are.. They are up there with EA games imo..
      Edited by DanteYoda on April 21, 2018 1:46AM
    • Mixith
      Mixith
      ✭✭✭
      I bought two i think with the starting crowns i had from getting the game. Meanwhile i do think it can be a fun thing i'll probably just stick to the free crates unless there is something i really want from it. And now im not talking about the apex stuff, just some small stuff like a costume or a personality i would probably open a few and if i didnt get it i would just buy it with the gems i got from the crates.

So basically, preferably no but it might happen from time to time if i dont get what i wanted from the free ones (the free ones have actually been pretty darn decent for me!).
    • Numerikuu
      Numerikuu
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I don't purchase Crowns to buy Crates, but rather spend ESO+ crowns on them since there's little else to use them on. However, I'd rather purchase things directly and would feel more inclined to actually purchase crowns to buy things from the store if its quality and range wasn't absolute arse.
      Edited by Numerikuu on April 21, 2018 10:49AM
    • Rohamad_Ali
      Rohamad_Ali
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I do not buy Crowns at all, and do not want or care for any of the content in either the shop or crates.
      Not at all .
    • Stewart1874
      Stewart1874
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I use the 1500 crowns a month as part of my sub to 'buy' them. I understand its a bit hypocritical to 'buy' them when I have such an issue, but I rationalise it as i'm not feeding the monster with anything that isn't already there and to ensure that I won't buy crowns at all now.

So in effect the implementation of crown crates has lost my wider business. Not much of course but my version of a protest,
      PS4 - Europe - Aldmeri Dominion
    • JWKe
      JWKe
      ✭✭✭✭
      I spend money on Crown Crates because I enjoy them, and prefer chance/rarity, over direct purchasing.
      I don’t mind clown crates. But, personally I feel the price should be cheaper as in $0.50 to $1 per crate because in reality ZoS is simply creating an artificial supply and demand.

Also, in all honesty we don’t know whether ZoS will put this much effort into cosmetics say if CC don’t exist. I think it’s a fallacy to assume that the content quality would remain the same except they’re now available for direct purchase.
    • Tholian1
      Tholian1
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I would expect those preferring chance/rarity to be in a minority. Not many rational people would choose to possibly pay more for an item than just purchasing it directly. There are people opening up hundreds of dollars worth of crates and still not getting the item they want which means they spent hundreds of dollars for mostly junk consumables that aren’t rare at all.
      PS4 Pro NA
    • OrdoHermetica
      OrdoHermetica
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I have bought Crown Crates in past when I saw that they had enough stuff that I found interesting as potential drops. Given the apparent dilution of the loot table in recent seasons, at least as tracked by third-party addons, and given the decision to put individual and exclusive motif chapters into Crown Crates, I have no plans on purchasing any in the future.

I should note that I'm not opposed to them in concept, provided their contents can also be purchased directly or acquired through other means. I might even be okay with them - not happy with them, but okay enough to keep buying them occasionally - if Crown Gems were a straight 1-to-1 conversion and allowed me to trade in duplicates for things I actually wanted, not a fraction of a thing I actually wanted. But in their current state, and with the direction they're going: no. No Crown Crates for me.

Also, I do like turtles.
    • Jhalin
      Jhalin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      This is the first month I actually ended up doing the Buy Crates Expecting Trash For Gems strategy to get the Apex mount I actually wanted because they were the first ones that didn’t look like they got boned three times over by some crazy mage.

With the new “exciting” gamble exclusive motif pages, I’m sure that strategy got back to the marketing team. Fun fact an Apex mount costs about $140. I would’ve bought the wolf and that sench directly for $50 each, and definitely some of the hats.

All for about the same price, with less useless trash on my collections tab, and feeling much much more likely to buy more thing from the crown store again. Instead, despite liking the mount I got, I feel like I’m just being milked, because I am.
      Edited by Jhalin on April 21, 2018 6:40PM
    • Imryll
      Imryll
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      The only crowns I've "bought" are the ones I get from subbing. It's fun to open the occasional crate during an event but not so fun (or rewarding) that I've been tempted to spend my subcrowns on them. Not following what's on offer helps, of course!
    • Mystrius_Archaion
      Mystrius_Archaion
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I've sadly been duped by the gambling crates, the first time they came around before they got even worse with RNG only items and more diluted tables.
      I'm actually glad the storm atronach mounts have been my favorite so far so I had almost no reason at all to buy any other crates.

I regret buying any crates, every day regret. I'm trying to never spend any on any random chance item again. I'm trying to avoid spending at all even due to the nature of the impermanence of MMOs, so this and random gambling crates are the worst dumbest move for a game company.
    • Orticia
      Orticia
      ✭✭✭✭
      Turtles are awesome, but I prefer frogs.

I will buy 1 or 2 crates to get something I really really want in the blue category if I am a few gems shy. 16 gems is doable and a reasonable calculated guess how much crate buys it will still take (thus money). The less fun stuff how less likely to do that obviously, as 40 gems and up is simply to many crates to ensure getting it for me (unless i got gem lucky with free crates). A decent chance of getting something else I like from the crates by chance as a bonus might also swing the balance in getting one. Basically when buying a crate I have to be sure to get something I want to spend that money on.
      Edited by Orticia on April 22, 2018 12:24PM
    • fred4
      fred4
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      There hasn't been much in the crown crates that I've truly wanted. Some of the hairstyles have been a must for me, so I have to reluctantly admit that I bought some crown crates in the past. It is unlikely I will buy more. The apex mounts are complete rubbish, IMO.
      PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
      PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
    • Kolache
      Kolache
      ✭✭✭✭
      I bought crates the 1st season because I really liked the mounts you could get. Since then I've bought a stack of crates here and there for the gems to buy some costumes and stuff that were available that season.

I don't mind the concept of crates vs. direct purchases, I just haven't really been tempted enough by their contents to bother buying them.
      Something being unbalanced in 1v1 does not imply that it is balanced in group play.
    • VyersReaver
      VyersReaver
      ✭✭
      I did buy, and got burned almost immediately. Not repeating that mistake.
    • Marginis
      Marginis
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I have bought crown crates. Many of them. I directly tested the odds. They were not very good. Actually, they were not good. At all.

Now I don't buy crown crates. I don't rely on luck. Luck usually doesn't work out. This is especially true when the odds are stacked against you.

I still like ESO. I still like stuff they release. I still want to support ZOS and ESO. But not by gambling.

I don't play the lottery. I'll just pay my taxes and not get ripped off anymore, thank you. That should be enough. You shouldn't need to rip off your constituents.
      @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
    • Valkysas154
      Valkysas154
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ZOS fooled me once with them crates NEVER again i will get by with free crates and gems
      i have no prob buying things i want when there is a direct option for it such as the White Gold Imperial Courser & Pony
      perfect for my templar so i bought it now if they where in the crates tho i would have passed.
    • Istoppucks
      Istoppucks
      ✭✭✭✭
      This poll backfired 78% buy stuff from the store. 78% of forums users are the dreaded evil "whales"!!!
      Edited by Istoppucks on April 24, 2018 5:49PM
    • Marginis
      Marginis
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Istoppucks wrote: »
      This poll backfired 78% buy stuff from the store. 78% of forums users are the dreaded evil "whales"!!!

There's nothing wrong with supporting developers of a game you love. There is something wrong with developers implementing predatory tactics on their userbase however (even though it might be their publisher overlords forcing it upon them, the implementation of predatory tactics at all is wrong, whoever does it, in my opinion).
      @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
    • Ardaghion
      Ardaghion
      ✭✭✭
      I've purchased a few (5 I think) Crown Crates with the crowns I've gotten from my ESO+. I have no desire to buy any CCs on a regular basis and I would generally prefer to buy items directly.
    • Mystrius_Archaion
      Mystrius_Archaion
      ✭✭✭✭✭

1) Why would they release something they didn't want people to buy?

2) Are they not a company out to make a profit?

3) What happens if the majority are like you and somehow don't support the game at all by purchasing?

If the answer to 1 and 2 above is "no" then the game dies and none of us have what we enjoy, which is the answer to number 3.

So, who is in the right? Do we just "git gudder brains" and avoid purchasing, or do we tell them here, in the only way that we can, what we want to spend on so they know what will make them the most money to keep afloat and keep us paying more?

I wouldn't want to be like you @Istoppucks . I would lose my way to spend my spare time as it would be shut down.
    • Istoppucks
      Istoppucks
      ✭✭✭✭

1) Why would they release something they didn't want people to buy?

2) Are they not a company out to make a profit?

3) What happens if the majority are like you and somehow don't support the game at all by purchasing?

If the answer to 1 and 2 above is "no" then the game dies and none of us have what we enjoy, which is the answer to number 3.

So, who is in the right? Do we just "git gudder brains" and avoid purchasing, or do we tell them here, in the only way that we can, what we want to spend on so they know what will make them the most money to keep afloat and keep us paying more?

I wouldn't want to be like you @Istoppucks . I would lose my way to spend my spare time as it would be shut down.

@Mystrius_Archaion

Yeah you totally misses the point here. I was pointing out how wrong all the anti-store/crate people all ten of them who spam these forums. They claim the store is only used by less than 10%. They call these whales, i do buy items from the store just not the crates and according to this poll 78% buy crates and or items directly not the 10% the haters claim.

I wouldnt want to be like you i guess since you completely miss the point of some post.
      Edited by Istoppucks on April 25, 2018 11:06AM