The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Do you both purchase and enjoy Crown Crates?

inthecoconut
inthecoconut
✭✭✭✭
Lots of discussion about Crown Crates as of late. Some loath them and think they are volatile and greedy, some defend them and say they enjoy the risks and excitement, some consider them gambling, and others get pleasure in acquiring something truly rare.

All of these thoughts aside, I just wanted to open this poll up to see how divided the forums are. I know people are passionate on both sides, but lets try to keep things civil. We all enjoy playing the same game, after all :)

Do you both purchase and enjoy Crown Crates? 238 votes

I spend money on Crown Crates because I enjoy them, and prefer chance/rarity, over direct purchasing.
7%
BrocknarLauranaevrinenomikkhWabuDragonnordJWKeThe_4O4RAB1979summitxhoDarkestnghtSparklyRookmikemaconFaylisCharliff1966strangeradndlittleladyred 17 votes
I spend money on Crown Crates because I want the content, but would rather buy their contents directly.
31%
AzureButterflyGalenHanokihsterovian2000b14_ESOSkuaKlemenziusb16_ESOnpukDerNachtfalterExCalzLivvymikejezzashigrayhondelinkbottleofsyrupkimaerilCaffeinatedMayhemDarkmage1337EvilKiwipriforceFivefivesix 74 votes
I don't spend money on Crown Crates because I would rather buy it directly.
42%
SolarikenwayfarerxSlurgboldfacedtypeNewBlacksmurfEsha76DarcyMardinMarginisKendaricDanikatAnnulielAlienSlofBarsOkiirKorprokSabbathiusCalsieskoomatraitBlueVioletfalcasternub18_ESO 101 votes
I do not buy Crowns at all, and do not want or care for any of the content in either the shop or crates.
6%
DaveMoeDeeMadypmn100b16_ESObunnytrixpdebie64b16_ESOAthlesanitajoneb17_ESOmertustaleeuxDanteYodaRohamad_AliAsardesMarabornwingrionShezzarrineTamrielSaviour215Aebaradath 16 votes
I like turtles (this is your "other" option).
12%
Imryllbillp_ESOTabbycatjedtb16_ESOGraydonEldenser12KolacheValagashbadmojoCynnaliaDieAlteHexeEasily_LostApplebladeJahneeOWrecking_Blow_SpamFakeFoxHippie4927Tucker3711SevnOrdoHermetica 30 votes
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I do not buy Crowns at all, and do not want or care for any of the content in either the shop or crates.
    You have a typo. Should be:

I do not buy Crowns [CRATES] at all, and do not want or care for any of the content in either the shop or crates.

I would never spend a cent on cosmetics, but I have bought assistants, character slots, and DLC. Those things should not be lumped in with cosmetics.
    Edited by DaveMoeDee on April 20, 2018 3:34PM
  • XHawkWingX
    XHawkWingX
    ✭✭✭
    I purchased 2 crown crates when I first started playing and after seeing what I got from them I made the decision to not spend anymore crowns on them.(The cost was just not worth it for me.) Now the only crates I open are free ones I get from leveling up. I have purchased items from the crown store though.
    Xbox1-NA
  • DieAlteHexe
    DieAlteHexe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I vote: I buy crates occasionally for the hell of it and also buy things direct.

I like turtles!

Dirty, filthy casual aka Nancy, the Wallet Warrior Carebear Potato Whale Snowflake
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought Crown Crates once, will never do it again. Waste of money, all I got was garbage (in my opinion). If I could buy stuff directly, I would be happy to spend 100's of $$$.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2250+
  • JahneeO
    JahneeO
    ✭✭✭
    One more for turtles!

First option is a little biased, I buy Crates and items directly.
    No real preference.
  • Kendaric
    Kendaric
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My stance regarding the crates has not changed since their introduction. In fact I have not even opened the free ones that I got.

If ZOS wants me to buy from the crown store, they'll need to have the stuff up for direct purchase with reasonable prices.
      PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!. Outfit slots not being accountwide is ridiculous given their price. PC EU/PC NA roleplayer and solo PvE quester
    • Jhalin
      Jhalin
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      I spend money on Crown Crates because I want the content, but would rather buy their contents directly.
      And it’s some seriously shi tty business practices because the amount of actually content in the game and direct-purchase store is being reduced every year.
    • Kiralyn2000
      Kiralyn2000
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Hmm, can't find an appropriate answer.

I don't buy Crown Crates.
      I do happily open the free ones they give me, because there are a small number of things in them I wouldn't mind getting (mostly the 40-gem level retread costumes)
      I have bought Crowns, and I do care for a small number of things in the shop. (again, the cheaper costumes)

Hmm. I suppose it could fit in option 3. But while I would buy some of the old retread costumes directly, they were limited-time releases and aren't in the crown shop (and were removed before crates existed). So if the crates weren't there, I still wouldn't be able to purchase them directly.

(Actually, I had been planning to buy some crates, when they finally released a set that included the Dark Shaman costume. But they never did, and it eventually showed up as a random reward during the 10mil Stories event.)

edit: and, just for giggles because I really don't care at all for the fancy ugly mounts that are the main point of the Crates, I got an Apex flame mount out of the first free leveling reward crate. And a spotted Senche from the free login ones a couple months back.
      Edited by Kiralyn2000 on April 20, 2018 3:42PM
    • Aebaradath
      Aebaradath
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      No and no.
    • Slurg
      Slurg
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      That was a tough choice, because I also like turtles!

But then again doesn’t everyone like turtles?
      Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
      Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
    • Ilsabet
      Ilsabet
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I like free crates. I will never spend money on crates. I would spend money on certain items from crates if I could just buy them directly for a reasonable price.
      Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
      Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
      My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
      Ilsabet's Headcanon
      The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
      PC NA
    • GaelicCat
      GaelicCat
      ✭✭
      I don't like the crates, but I will happily pay directly for cosmetics I do want.
    • Ley
      Ley
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I enjoy free crates but cannot justify paying for crates. I don't mind buying things directly from the crown store.
      Leylith - MagSorc | Leyloth - StamPlar | Leynerd - MagPlar | Leylit - StamBlade | Ley Eviticus - StamDK | Leydor - MagDen | Leylum - StamSorc | Leylux - MagBlade
    • Anotherone773
      Anotherone773
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Did you know turtles will never be homeless no matter how much they spend on crown crates or items in the crown store?

I bought a few crates just for LOLs, actually i wanted gems for something that was actually useful to me. I, otherwise, dont care about vanity items.

Give those mounts in the crown store: +30% to speed and stamina( on top of skills/buffs) and im interested. Otherwise i dont care if i ride a sorrel horse or a storm steed or a bloody magic carpet, as long as it doesnt bounce my screen all over the place when i ride it.
    • VonNelson
      VonNelson
      ✭✭✭
      I like buying crown crates but the last drop rate left me deeply deeply disappointed to the point that I bought less than normal
    • badmojo
      badmojo
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I dont exactly enjoy the crates, but I have bought them in the past, and will probably buy them again. I do however enjoy the rarity they create.
      [DC/NA]
    • billp_ESO
      billp_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭
      I don't buy Crown Crates and don't care if I get them or not for free. The store also has little of interest.

(It's turtles all the way down.)
    • Datthaw
      Datthaw
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      It's like playing scratch offs for pixels, except they cost alot more and if you win they don't really benefit you.
    • dotme
      dotme
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I bought Crown Crates once, will never do it again. Waste of money, all I got was garbage (in my opinion). If I could buy stuff directly, I would be happy to spend 100's of $$$.
      This is me. I think it's fine that they're available, but I won't buy them. I do think ZOS should publish a list of items in the crates and, in the interest of fairness and transparency, the odds of receiving each of them.

PS4NA
    • Sabbathius
      Sabbathius
      ✭✭✭✭
      I never bought crown crates, and probably never will.

There's a few items I might have considered buying directly, but definitely not with gambling boxes.

My firm belief is that if game developers want my money, they have to earn it with ACTUAL CONTENT.
      Edited by Sabbathius on April 20, 2018 4:00PM
    • Tabbycat
      Tabbycat
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      Sometimes I buy a crown crate with my subscription crowns. This month I ended up getting one of the apex mounts. I about fell over in shock and then I realized Pakrooti was just trying to tempt me into buying more crown crates.
      Founder and Co-GM of The Psijic Order Guild (NA)
      0.016%
    • Elrinthil
      Elrinthil
      ✭✭✭
      Edited by Elrinthil on November 26, 2018 1:20AM
    • Hippie4927
      Hippie4927
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭
      These crown crate threads make me weary! :(

I buy crates sometimes for a hoot and I buy direct from the store.
      PC/NA/EP ✌️
    • Sevn
      Sevn
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      I pretty much stopped when they introduced the radiant mounts. It's despicable that they would place items in them that can only be attained purely by rng.

Having said that, I've been fairly lucky? I have 2 main accounts and a 3rd semi active account and between the 3 I have 3 or 4 radiant mounts and a buttload of apex mounts.

Still, I have a bunch of pets I would have never bought as I think they're pointless, only recently finding a purpose using them on my island home and frozen fortress. A bunch of ugly costumes that make it a pain to get to the ones I actually like, so on and so on.

I've also noticed my low level toons over these 3 accounts get better items, whether it's during this event or thru crowns, I don't think that's a coincidence.
      There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man, true nobility is being superior to your former self
      -Hemingway
    • jedtb16_ESO
      jedtb16_ESO
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      they are delicious...

i have bought a few in the past to see what all the fuss was about. got a load of junk and a few pets and a mount.

the junk i expected.

will i buy more in the future?

maybe.
    • Violynne
      Violynne
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      When I came back to the game about a month ago, there was a box in my inventory. When I opened it up, a Khajiit appeared on screen talking about chances and something good. He threw at me some "cards", which had me completely confused. I had no idea what I was doing, so I selected them, one by one.

I got potions (which I can craft better). I got some dust (crafting component for motifs I do not know). Some "transmute" crystals (still have no idea what these are and my bank is full of them). A house item (yet another starfish, though this one was blue level).

I saw I could break these useless items down into even more Foney Munny™ and now I have about 27 Crown Gems in my bank, sitting and doing nothing because the items in the Crown Store, requiring this new Foney Munny™, are so expensive, there's no way I can purchase them. We can't even buy Crown Gems directly (from what I've learned, the only way to get them is to buy Crown Crates and destroy every useless item it offers).

My "free" experience with Crown Crates was enough to say I never want to see them again.

I know ZoS is probably spending weeks rolling all the cash to the bank from this system, but I will not partake in it.

Either offer me the items directly or don't offer them at all.

Edited by Violynne on April 20, 2018 4:17PM
    • FakeFox
      FakeFox
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭
      I spend money on Crown Crates because I want the content, but would rather buy their contents directly find the stuff IN GAME.
      EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
    • Tandor
      Tandor
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Missing option - I don't buy crown crates because I have no interest in their contents. I open the free ones and as free gifts the contents are fair enough, but they don't tempt me to buy any. I do spend crowns in the store, either from my subscription or through crown sales, mainly buying houses as I'm not a trader so buying them with gold isn't an option.
    • srfrogg23
      srfrogg23
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I bought some when the crowns were on sale over the holidays. But, yeah, even discounted, they’re still a bit of a rip-off. The overwhelming majority of what I got was junk consumables.

Honestly, if they would just take that crap out of the boxes, it might not be that bad. As it stands right now, though, I feel I can do without buying any more of them.
    • Lysette
      Lysette
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      Tandor wrote: »
      Missing option - I don't buy crown crates because I have no interest in their contents. I open the free ones and as free gifts the contents are fair enough, but they don't tempt me to buy any. I do spend crowns in the store, either from my subscription or through crown sales, mainly buying houses as I'm not a trader so buying them with gold isn't an option.

Hm, this is off-topic, but I still want to comment on your statement - I am no trader too, I have never sold anything in a guild store, still I am able to buy houses with gold. My way is to use my 13 (now 14, just made a new one) characters and earn my money by doing crafting writs. It takes a little longer, because one round of writs with all of them earn me just about 20-25k gold, dependent on if I have to buy some ingredients or not - most of the time I have them in stock though. So to acquire a house in the mid-range it takes me like 2-3 weeks, to buy one of the million gold houses it would take me about 2-3 months to buy them with gold - it is possible, still, I might just use the crowns from subscriptions for those.

You see, buying houses with gold is definitely an option, even if you are no trader or never sell anything in a guild store.