The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Do you both purchase and enjoy Crown Crates?

• knaveofengland
    knaveofengland
    ✭✭✭
    wont buy what i cant see
  • BloodWolfe
    BloodWolfe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't spend money on Crown Crates because I would rather buy it directly.
    Never purchased a single crown crate and NEVER will! I hate loot boxes, such a scam and it's destroying the gaming industry because they focus more on how much they can scam from people who spend blindly as opposed to fixing the game and putting out good content. I hate micro-transactions! I'm fine paying a monthly sub, have been since Ultima Online and DAoC days and I'm ok with buying the odd other item but crates/loot boxes are ridiculous!
  • JWKe
    JWKe
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spend money on Crown Crates because I enjoy them, and prefer chance/rarity, over direct purchasing.
    Better a chance at something than to have no chance at all. Who knows what Zo$ would do to make the same or more amount of money they currently are if crown crates were to disappear. They’ll probably simply up all the store items price.
    Edited by JWKe on April 27, 2018 4:24AM
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JWKe wrote: »
    Better a chance at something than to have no chance at all. Who knows what Zo$ would do to make the same or more amount of money they currently are if crown crates were to disappear. They’ll probably simply up all the store items price.

I'd rather know what I'm getting than have to rely on chance to get it. And your argument for ZOS making regular crown items cost more? Let them. I'll be effectively paying the same amount. It's the idea that, hey, we could either pay $100 for a $50 item, or we could pay $100 and still be no closer than before to getting that item. We're still getting overcharged but at least we have confidence in the system, so still continue to use it when we deem it appropriate. With RNG we just give up in time because it's a losing battle.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭
    I spend money on Crown Crates because I enjoy them, and prefer chance/rarity, over direct purchasing.
    Marginis wrote: »

I'd rather know what I'm getting than have to rely on chance to get it. And your argument for ZOS making regular crown items cost more? Let them. I'll be effectively paying the same amount. It's the idea that, hey, we could either pay $100 for a $50 item, or we could pay $100 and still be no closer than before to getting that item. We're still getting overcharged but at least we have confidence in the system, so still continue to use it when we deem it appropriate. With RNG we just give up in time because it's a losing battle.

By this logic one wouldn't play vMA or run dungeons because rng might mean you never get what you want. I won't grind vMA for the perfect weapon but I do run it and am happy even if I don't get the specific item I am seeking. I also know when to say enough is enough and not run it anymore because it becomes a chore. Crates are the same, know what you are willing to spend and stop you might not get everything you want but that is kind of the point to rng. I know everyone will say but the money is the issue, I disagree, for many people playing this game time is more valuable than money so their is no difference, if you want another shot at crate item, grind a couple extra hours at work instead of in the game and get them.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

By this logic one wouldn't play vMA or run dungeons because rng might mean you never get what you want. I won't grind vMA for the perfect weapon but I do run it and am happy even if I don't get the specific item I am seeking. I also know when to say enough is enough and not run it anymore because it becomes a chore. Crates are the same, know what you are willing to spend and stop you might not get everything you want but that is kind of the point to rng. I know everyone will say but the money is the issue, I disagree, for many people playing this game time is more valuable than money so their is no difference, if you want another shot at crate item, grind a couple extra hours at work instead of in the game and get them.

I understand your perspective, but to say that I have to be okay with crates because I already accept RNG in dungeons is false. They are similar, but dungeons have a lesser impact, as they simply cost time investment, rather than money, and there are other ways to get most drops (trade with other players, just like crown gems). One might contest the significance of this point (as you predicted), but second to this (and more importantly I feel), one does not have to like either of these systems. I dislike RNG in dungeons too - I dislike RNG in most circumstances. I'd rather get a certain reward for doing a certain task, and I think it would also feel more rewarding, knowing that someone with a particular weapon or cosmetic, say, accomplished a certain task. We do have this in our current system somewhat, but I'd prefer to have that feeling of accomplishment brought into the forefront, instead of being shoved behind artificially lengthening the game with RNG. Quality over quantity as they say.

RNG has its place. I'm not one of those who advocates taking all random chance out of games. There are important reasons for including it. But when the positives of RNG are taken away, or have less impact than the negatives - like if a skilled player, or an experienced player, is consistently rewarded less than someone who is lucky or has the investment needed to beat the odds (whether it's time with dungeons or cash with crates) - if this happens we need to rethink how we use RNG in our games.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • strangeradnd
    strangeradnd
    ✭✭✭✭

I understand your perspective, but to say that I have to be okay with crates because I already accept RNG in dungeons is false. They are similar, but dungeons have a lesser impact, as they simply cost time investment, rather than money, and there are other ways to get most drops (trade with other players, just like crown gems). One might contest the significance of this point (as you predicted), but second to this (and more importantly I feel), one does not have to like either of these systems. I dislike RNG in dungeons too - I dislike RNG in most circumstances. I'd rather get a certain reward for doing a certain task, and I think it would also feel more rewarding, knowing that someone with a particular weapon or cosmetic, say, accomplished a certain task. We do have this in our current system somewhat, but I'd prefer to have that feeling of accomplishment brought into the forefront, instead of being shoved behind artificially lengthening the game with RNG. Quality over quantity as they say.

RNG has its place. I'm not one of those who advocates taking all random chance out of games. There are important reasons for including it. But when the positives of RNG are taken away, or have less impact than the negatives - like if a skilled player, or an experienced player, is consistently rewarded less than someone who is lucky or has the investment needed to beat the odds (whether it's time with dungeons or cash with crates) - if this happens we need to rethink how we use RNG in our games.

This shows where we differ and that's ok. For me, I like rng, even if it means getting the short end of the stick, for many people it isn't that way and I can respect their perspective.

As for the time is less valuable then money, I must differ on this as well, to me time is far more valuable than a little money, I know for some this isn't the case. My commitments limit my time so if I want to run vMA 20 times hoping to get something it is far more costly than spending $50 on crates hoping to get something. I also feel the in game rng items are worth far more than the crate items as they can impact game play, the cosmetics only impact my appearance yet I would not want to be able to spend money to earn the in game rng items but will gladly do so for non impact items.

I know we won't agree on these points I am just looking for mutual understanding of each others reasoning behind our opinions.
    Edited by strangeradnd on April 27, 2018 7:32PM
  • NeroBad
    NeroBad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bought 2 for gems (needed 7 more after free ones) for a Legendary reward. I felt bad about the random stuff I got although. In the future I will avoid buying Crates. I bought polymorphs Crafting Book, mounts, pets, customes, services directly from Shop, that was much more satisfying (I spent 800 in Crates and 18100 not counting DLC and still have 10000+ which are waiting to be spent for direct goodies)
  • Tucker3711
    Tucker3711
    ✭✭✭
    I like turtles (this is your "other" option).
    I only get them in events... Turtles are cool! :D
    @Tucker311- PC
    Tucker3711
    Nord Beth Rose (EP)
    Imperial Freya Var (DC)
    High Elf Hestia du foyer (AD)
    Wood Elf Epona Caoin (AD)
    Hotstuff Queen
  • summitxho
    summitxho
    ✭✭✭
    For my situation I love the crown crates. Do not care whatsoever how my character looks, would never spend crowns on accessories or any of that, but I tend to be a completionist and like my master writs, so I use the crowns I am given for my plus account and buy a 20 pack of crates going after the motifs. Every time I have done this I end up with one of the motifs as well a few gems from selling off all the stuff I do not want which I have also purchased more motifs with, ends up being a better bargain than buying the motifs outright. Works perfect for me and way ahead of the game.
    Edited by summitxho on April 27, 2018 9:25PM
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This shows where we differ and that's ok. For me, I like rng, even if it means getting the short end of the stick, for many people it isn't that way and I can respect their perspective.

As for the time is less valuable then money, I must differ on this as well, to me time is far more valuable than a little money, I know for some this isn't the case. My commitments limit my time so if I want to run vMA 20 times hoping to get something it is far more costly than spending $50 on crates hoping to get something. I also feel the in game rng items are worth far more than the crate items as they can impact game play, the cosmetics only impact my appearance yet I would not want to be able to spend money to earn the in game rng items but will gladly do so for non impact items.

I know we won't agree on these points I am just looking for mutual understanding of each others reasoning behind our opinions.

Totally agree with the idea that some people like RNG. As I said, even I like a small amount of RNG in certain ways, otherwise the game would be boring, and it would not be as considerate to new players. I think the main point of contention is where a certain amount of RNG becomes harmful. I dislike RNG in dungeons, but that in itself is not harmful to players, in my opinion. When the game becomes a glorified slot machine, and is not clearly said to be gambling, I feel it's harmful to players, as it is intentionally misleading and psychologically manipulative to a malicious degree. Without being hyperbolic, I think that ZOS has to be careful with which direction they go in when it comes to RNG-based mechanics, or they will soon be treading that line between glorified slot machine and acceptable game.

Again, a lot of this is a matter of opinion and nuance, but when a game uses mechanics that are inherently unfair, I tend to disagree loudly. Some players have time to invest, some have money, but when the game requires you to do one, not one or the other, for a certain reward, it is unfairly biased towards certain players. I, for example, tend toward the more RP side of things, and really enjoy getting those cool mounts in the store (money investment). Some players, such as yourself, by the sound of it, prefer stuff you can get via dungeons (time investment). If I have time, but not money, I'm limited to the part of the game I don't care as much about. You, in this hypothetical, should be glad you don't care about the crown store because you have time to get the stuff you want, so you don't have to have the money.

I guess what I'm saying is that it's more the unfairness of the matter that I care about than the RNG, but in the same vein, eliminating a lot of the RNG would immediately solve the unfairness, or at least most of it. Hopefully y'all can follow my rambling - maybe you can discern something educational from it. If not, that's okay, I'm mostly just thinking out loud anyhow. :\
  • Appleblade
    Appleblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like turtles (this is your "other" option).
    A5272864_56_D1_401_A_898_C_7_DBCAF1_A7379.jpg
  • Rinira
    Rinira
    ✭✭
    In the want to buy directly group. Never have been a fan of rng boxes in any game. I have two kids and bills.. I don't have the funds to bother with rng boxes to maybe try to get what I was after. If I had that sort of extra money to throw around I'd go play the lotto or something.
    Tangled-in-Strings - PC/NA @Rosekitten | "What would you attempt if you could not fail?" | Love for all Factions but Ebonheart Pact is my home.
  • Zordrage
    Zordrage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1st person who tought up and implemented Gamble Crates/boxes/Chests in video games for the 1st time in History needs to die a horrible death...

you don't want to know my deeper Opinion on this kind of Business model trust me would get banned for an entire year lol
    Edited by Zordrage on April 28, 2018 9:12PM
  • pdebie64b16_ESO
    pdebie64b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    I do not buy Crowns at all, and do not want or care for any of the content in either the shop or crates.
    I wish ESO was still a Pay to Play game.