The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

PTS and multicore?

• ZOS_AlexTardif
    ZOS_AlexTardif
    ✭✭✭✭
    PTS 1 doesn't have all of the performance improvements, there are a number of additional changes that are rolling out in upcoming PTS iterations. Quad-core machines (without hyperthreading) in particular should see a bump in the next PTS update. We're also tracking down and smoothing out hitching issues, specifically ones people encounter when running through cities and the FPS tanks abruptly for a few frames.

To give more technical details for those who are interested, you should not expect even distribution across your CPU cores after this update, just more distribution to the non-main-thread cores than you had before, especially at times when there are a lot of things loading in. Your main core thread will still be topping off, trying to go as fast as it can through each frame. For almost all of you, the bottleneck of your framerate is your CPU, not your GPU, so if you're not seeing high utilization of your GPU, it's most likely because the CPU-side of the game isn't keeping up.

Given that ESO originally had to support very old CPUs, it's no secret that it was written from the ground-up as an effectively single-threaded application. As time went on and the min-spec was updated, and with the launch of Tamriel Unlimited/XB1/PS4, it necessitated the ability to use multiple cores in order for the game to run well (as it should). The work started then and continues through the present.

It's been an ongoing process to shift work over to other cores (and to the GPU) where we can in order to make the game perform better, and the work involved in doing so is fairly complex. It's not something we can point to and say "make all cores do the same amount of work" (though that is the goal!), it's typically "this certain part of the update takes a long time, let's find a way to shift that work over to other cores." Doing that is almost always a bit of a challenge because we have to make sure the cores that do that work don't conflict with things other cores are doing, which can cause corruption, crashes, hangs, etc. We also have to ensure that the changes are positive across all the platforms as well, from the wide range of supported CPUs on Windows + Mac, to XB1 and PS4, so these changes have to come out incrementally to ensure we make the experience better across the board.

We have a lot more work to do here, and we will continue to make improvements. There's always something that can be made better.

PS: Pro tip, if you have a good GPU and have all your settings maxed but want higher performance, change your Reflection Quality to Low instead of Medium or High. "Low" reflections are actually using screen-space reflections, rather than heavy-duty planar reflections. Planar reflections are more accurate, but they're far harder on the CPU, whereas screen space reflections are almost entirely a GPU operation and should lighten the load on your CPU quite a bit.
    Zenimax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • jaysins
    jaysins
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the update and explanation. It is greatly appreciated.
    Jaisins -AD Stamsorc. Can't outrun an orc sorc
    Bearingitall -EP Warden. Lions and tigers and especially Bears oh my
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PTS 1 doesn't have all of the performance improvements, there are a number of additional changes that are rolling out in upcoming PTS iterations. Quad-core machines (without hyperthreading) in particular should see a bump in the next PTS update. We're also tracking down and smoothing out hitching issues, specifically ones people encounter when running through cities and the FPS tanks abruptly for a few frames.

To give more technical details for those who are interested, you should not expect even distribution across your CPU cores after this update, just more distribution to the non-main-thread cores than you had before, especially at times when there are a lot of things loading in. Your main core thread will still be topping off, trying to go as fast as it can through each frame. For almost all of you, the bottleneck of your framerate is your CPU, not your GPU, so if you're not seeing high utilization of your GPU, it's most likely because the CPU-side of the game isn't keeping up.

Given that ESO originally had to support very old CPUs, it's no secret that it was written from the ground-up as an effectively single-threaded application. As time went on and the min-spec was updated, and with the launch of Tamriel Unlimited/XB1/PS4, it necessitated the ability to use multiple cores in order for the game to run well (as it should). The work started then and continues through the present.

It's been an ongoing process to shift work over to other cores (and to the GPU) where we can in order to make the game perform better, and the work involved in doing so is fairly complex. It's not something we can point to and say "make all cores do the same amount of work" (though that is the goal!), it's typically "this certain part of the update takes a long time, let's find a way to shift that work over to other cores." Doing that is almost always a bit of a challenge because we have to make sure the cores that do that work don't conflict with things other cores are doing, which can cause corruption, crashes, hangs, etc. We also have to ensure that the changes are positive across all the platforms as well, from the wide range of supported CPUs on Windows + Mac, to XB1 and PS4, so these changes have to come out incrementally to ensure we make the experience better across the board.

We have a lot more work to do here, and we will continue to make improvements. There's always something that can be made better.

PS: Pro tip, if you have a good GPU and have all your settings maxed but want higher performance, change your Reflection Quality to Low instead of Medium or High. "Low" reflections are actually using screen-space reflections, rather than heavy-duty planar reflections. Planar reflections are more accurate, but they're far harder on the CPU, whereas screen space reflections are almost entirely a GPU operation and should lighten the load on your CPU quite a bit.

Thanks for the clarification. My brother and I played with reflection setting earlier and did notice a substantial difference (+15-30 frames). The framerate is better in the delves as well we visited as well. I appreciate the feedback!
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now that I see what AlexT wrote, I'm waiting for the next iteration of the PTS. I only had one crash with the current one
    (I used the crash report for Z to see it). But it seemed like the game was running worse than live. Could be my cpu though
    (i7-6700, which is an older chip).
    Edited by radiostar on April 20, 2018 4:22AM
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Taonnor
    Taonnor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks! @ZOS_AlexTardif I want to see you in ESO Live with deep explanations! :smile:
    Guild

Gildenleiter von Lux Dei (EU/AD). Offizieller Gildenspotlight für ESOTU!
    Guild leader of Lux Dei (EU/AD). Official Guild Spotlight for ESOTU!

Addons & Guides

ESOUI Author Portal: Taonnor
    Addons: Taos AP Session, Taos Group Tools

Myth AoE Cap: DE Mythos AoE Cap // EN Myth AoE Cap

What should i change in ESO: DE [DGR] Was würde ich an ESO verändern - "Der große Rundumschlag" // EN [TWS] What should i change in ESO – „The sweeping statement“

Charakters

Taonnor Annare, Sorcerer
    Thao Annare, Nightblade
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭

This kind of explanations are very welcomed. Very appreciated.
  • HuawaSepp
    HuawaSepp
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah great explanation.

On live I drop to 22 fps when the whole trial group drops ultimates and else i get 30+ fps in every trial.
    On pts in vet Cloudrest the lowest fps were 38.
    That's a nice increase.
    Still some add ons won't let the fps raise above 50 after one wipe.
    The curious thing is that in trials not even one of my cpu cores is near 100% usage only in big pvp battles.

i5-7600k @ 4,8 ghz core @ 4,5 ghz cache
    2x8 gb ddr4 3000 ram
    amd radeon rx vega 64
    system on ssd, eso on another ssd
    PTS-EU
  • tamrielwinner
    tamrielwinner
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @ZOS_AlexTardif

Do you have any more tips along the same lines?
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So, if my GPU is running at near 100% on PTS that's a good sign that my CPU is working a lot faster than it does on live, where my GPU is usually about 40% ?
    PC EU
  • profundidob16_ESO
    profundidob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, if my GPU is running at near 100% on PTS that's a good sign that my CPU is working a lot faster than it does on live, where my GPU is usually about 40% ?

possibly yes, but not necessarily. If you were completely bottlenecked before by singlethread cpu performance and now on pts less because of the multicore offloading changes that could cause the GPU to be used more indeed, but it's not likely that it would jump from 40% to 100%

There are other factors and bugs to take into account. It could even be as simple as the pts build putting unnecessary extra load on your gpu in it's current state because of a graphics bug. Also all factors you use to test on pts would have to be as identical as possible as when testing the same thing on live
    Edited by profundidob16_ESO on April 20, 2018 11:00AM
  • zsban
    zsban
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif Thank you for the detailed explanation! Would like to hear more technical details about what the quality settings do - it's a huge help to try to hand tune the game for a particular machine.

Also I have a question: on my machine even the main core is not 100% maxed out, (it's usually around 80-90%) and my gpu is around 60% still the FPS fluctuates a lot. So it does not seem to be a CPU bottleneck, more like a latency issue before a frame is finished... Any suggestions what to change to improve the performance? This happens a lot in cities and in certain trial bosses.
  • sirinsidiator
    sirinsidiator
    ✭✭✭✭

The game has my CPU and GPU pretty idle all the time on all the highest details and yet I still have frame rates below the 100fps limit half the time. Here is a preliminary comparison between live and PTS cpu usage.
    kL4fANQ.png
    It's not really telling us much since the PTS doesn't have many players and effects in Vvardenfell/Vivec City and I also used a lot less addons on PTS, but it does look like the load is spread out a bit more. Will be interesting to see how additional performance optimizations in the next PTS cycles change it.
    https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you comment on Vulkan API at this time? Hints are present in the client.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The game has my CPU and GPU pretty idle all the time on all the highest details and yet I still have frame rates below the 100fps limit half the time. Here is a preliminary comparison between live and PTS cpu usage.
    kL4fANQ.png
    It's not really telling us much since the PTS doesn't have many players and effects in Vvardenfell/Vivec City and I also used a lot less addons on PTS, but it does look like the load is spread out a bit more. Will be interesting to see how additional performance optimizations in the next PTS cycles change it.

The reason why you will most likely never see 100% CPU usage is because those cores have to wait for each other to finish what they are doing in order to move on to the next round of calculations.

Multicore CPU's are truly at their best when each core is doing it's own thing with a completely separate program running on each core independent of each other.

If they are all part of the same program, then you have dependencies and it becomes a balancing act of how much splitting up of calculations is best. It's almost a trial and error thing.

BTW, if your GPU is not getting enough of a workout, you can always bump up your resolution or use some DSR 4K or something. It looks pretty, you can turn off AA and get some eye candy out of that hardware.
  • aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Things like this are really useful to know, & thanks for the detailed post in general. I think you'll find there is a relatively high proportion of techy type people playing ESO, so feel free to post any other Pro Tips :) These are all things we would not otherwise know.
  • RouDeR
    RouDeR
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you talking about Water reflections details ? Cuz this seems absurd taking in mind that in most of the Cities there is NO WATER.
  • sirinsidiator
    sirinsidiator
    ✭✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »

kL4fANQ.png

The reason why you will most likely never see 100% CPU usage is because those cores have to wait for each other to finish what they are doing in order to move on to the next round of calculations.

Multicore CPU's are truly at their best when each core is doing it's own thing with a completely separate program running on each core independent of each other.

If they are all part of the same program, then you have dependencies and it becomes a balancing act of how much splitting up of calculations is best. It's almost a trial and error thing.

BTW, if your GPU is not getting enough of a workout, you can always bump up your resolution or use some DSR 4K or something. It looks pretty, you can turn off AA and get some eye candy out of that hardware.

I already play on 4K native ;)
    https://www.imperialtradingcompany.eu/ - My Addons - The Vault (Early updates and experimental projects) - My patreon - My blog
  • Skorol007
    Skorol007
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif Thanks a lot for the answer and the pro-tip :)
  • infraction2008b16_ESO
    infraction2008b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_AlexTardif

I wasn't expecting you guys to make the game a multi threaded monster, however I was hoping for a return to old performance where strangely before the Thieves Guild update where one core wasn't as pegged all the time. It seems to me currently a lot of jobs that don't need to use the main thread like to jump onto it and you end up pretty much with this:

xkZN70c.png

I'm also hoping you are thinking of AMD Ryzen when doing your tweaks rather than just old & new intel processors.
  • Snit
    Snit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    radiostar wrote: »
    Now that I see what AlexT wrote, I'm waiting for the next iteration of the PTS. I only had one crash with the current one
    (I used the crash report for Z to see it). But it seemed like the game was running worse than live. Could be my cpu though
    (i7-6700, which is an older chip).

I upgraded from an i7-6600 to an i7-8700 last week. I gained about 30 FPS in crowded hubs (from 40 to 70+) with the same GPU (1080ti).

I play at 3440x1440, so the extra power was sorely needed ;)

Edited by Snit on April 20, 2018 9:38PM
    Snit AD Sorc
    Ratbag AD Warden Tank
    Goblins AD Stamblade

• Jeremiah87
    Jeremiah87
    ✭✭✭

Thank you so much @ZOS_AlexTardif for the detailed explanation! I was wondering why my FPS in the spawn area of Summerset where about the same as a normal, busy day in Vivec. Glad to hear there will be more improvements, also thank you for the tip concerning the reflections!

I remember that waaaaay back on one or two occasions during an ESO live episode and/or an interview at a gaming convention you guys (Rich?) talked about looking into getting ESO onto DX12. Is that still a thing you are looking into? Are you guys also looking into Vulkan? I would be super interested to hear anything about this.
  • Aleris
    Aleris
    ✭✭✭
    not sure i understood , but it's been said that quad core machines witout hyperthreading should see a bump.. so what about my i7 7700? i maen it's a quadcore but with hyperthreading so no improvement here ? could someone explain this to me? thankies :))
  • Smaxx
    Smaxx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RouDeR wrote: »
    Are you talking about Water reflections details ? Cuz this seems absurd taking in mind that in most of the Cities there is NO WATER.

I think those Reflections are actually more than that. This also includes metallic surfaces, the shine on leather armor, etc. At least they seem to change if you change that as well. Maybe the text is outdated or needs to be rewritten?
  • Jeremiah87
    Jeremiah87
    ✭✭✭
    Smaxx wrote: »

I think those Reflections are actually more than that. This also includes metallic surfaces, the shine on leather armor, etc. At least they seem to change if you change that as well. Maybe the text is outdated or needs to be rewritten?

I also suspect it to change material reflections. It would only make sense for FPS to tank when there are tons of characters with high quality reflecting materials around.
  • Bevik
    Bevik
    ✭✭✭✭
    Probably does accept for all the shiny surfaces plus don't forget when it's raining everything is shiny.
  • bethsheba
    bethsheba
    ✭✭✭
    I knew the game was utilizing more of my 6 core cpu on PTS, because load temp normally on live tops out at 42c, but on PTS hit 56c
  • clocksstoppe
    clocksstoppe
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely not. This game does not use physically based rendering. Specular reflections are not part of the reflection setting the dev is talking about.
  • personman_145
    personman_145
    ✭✭✭

Definitely not. This game does not use physically based rendering. Specular reflections are not part of the reflection setting the dev is talking about.

Then what reflection setting IS he talking about? Water is the only one I see. I wouldn't say "definitely not" or "definitely so" without clarification from a dev.

PC: i5 8600k, 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Chars: Alathaar is a high elf vampire dps sorc | Andy Rink is a dark elf tank sword and board WW
  • zsban
    zsban
    ✭✭✭✭

From what I can tell ESO is using a specular pbr renderer with deferred lighting.
  • personman_145
    personman_145
    ✭✭✭
    From the 4.0.1 notes:

Improved issues with framerate hitching when running through larger areas (such as cities) on quad-core or better PCs and consoles.
    Improved multithreading usage on quad-core PCs.
    Improved the framerate stability when spending a lot of time in the same zone.
    PC: i5 8600k, 16GB DDR4 2666Mhz RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
    Chars: Alathaar is a high elf vampire dps sorc | Andy Rink is a dark elf tank sword and board WW