The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29
We will be performing maintenance for patch 10.0.2 on the PTS on Monday at 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC).

Giant Clams and New Alchemy Ingredients

Liofa
Liofa
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
New Alchemy Reagents
In your travels along the shores of Summerset you may run across giant clams. These clams, when looted, may yield up to two of the following:
Two new alchemy reagents: Powdered Mother of Pearl and Clam Gall

Clam Gall is an offensively oriented reagent, while Powdered Mother of Pearl is more defensively oriented, granting new combinations of survival effects
Fish meat, for provisioning
Bait, including fish roe, guts, and worms
Grease solvents for alchemical poisons
Or, very rarely, clam-themed furnishings for your home

Hey everyone . I have some concerns about this change . This is probably one of the most important changes that happened in this patch , allowing us to have different potions . BUT , I have run around the whole Summerset for an hour . I literally stepped on every single shore that has even a slight chance of having a Giant Clam . Result ? Around 15 Giant Clams . I got 2 Clam Galls and 1 Powdered Mother of Pearl . I used one of each because that is a guaranteed trait discovery . Clam Gall has Breach and Powdered Mother of Pearl has Health Restore . I tried to combine the other Clam Gall with Blessed Thistle and it failed . Problem is , the drop chance is really really low . Most of the Clams I opened gave me Alkahest and Fish , some gave Water Hyacinth . I already tried Alchemy bags in Imperial City , they don't drop these new items . Templates also do not have these in the crafting bag . I triple checked , they don't .

So I am asking this . How are we supposed to use these potions . We run around for an hour for 4 potions or 16 poisons ? Keep in mind that I didn't see anyone else running around and collecting Clams . As far as I see , there are no other ways to acquire these items . So what's the deal ? Even if there is a different combination that is actually useful , no one is gonna be able to use it because we use potions every 45 seconds ! This is not the same with Perfect Roe . This is not the same as consuming food buffs . They go for 2 hours and these go for 47 seconds !

Anyway , even if you are going to keep the looting way like this , at least give us the new items in the templates or just publish their traits so we can figure out the new combinations ourselves ^^
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do these come from other sources such as writs and surveys? Those might help bring more into the game beyond initial farming.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »
    New Alchemy Reagents
    In your travels along the shores of Summerset you may run across giant clams. These clams, when looted, may yield up to two of the following:
    Two new alchemy reagents: Powdered Mother of Pearl and Clam Gall

Clam Gall is an offensively oriented reagent, while Powdered Mother of Pearl is more defensively oriented, granting new combinations of survival effects
    Fish meat, for provisioning
    Bait, including fish roe, guts, and worms
    Grease solvents for alchemical poisons
    Or, very rarely, clam-themed furnishings for your home

Hey everyone . I have some concerns about this change . This is probably one of the most important changes that happened in this patch , allowing us to have different potions . BUT , I have run around the whole Summerset for an hour . I literally stepped on every single shore that has even a slight chance of having a Giant Clam . Result ? Around 15 Giant Clams . I got 2 Clam Galls and 1 Powdered Mother of Pearl . I used one of each because that is a guaranteed trait discovery . Clam Gall has Breach and Powdered Mother of Pearl has Health Restore . I tried to combine the other Clam Gall with Blessed Thistle and it failed . Problem is , the drop chance is really really low . Most of the Clams I opened gave me Alkahest and Fish , some gave Water Hyacinth . I already tried Alchemy bags in Imperial City , they don't drop these new items . Templates also do not have these in the crafting bag . I triple checked , they don't .

So I am asking this . How are we supposed to use these potions . We run around for an hour for 4 potions or 16 poisons ? Keep in mind that I didn't see anyone else running around and collecting Clams . As far as I see , there are no other ways to acquire these items . So what's the deal ? Even if there is a different combination that is actually useful , no one is gonna be able to use it because we use potions every 45 seconds ! This is not the same with Perfect Roe . This is not the same as consuming food buffs . They go for 2 hours and these go for 47 seconds !

Anyway , even if you are going to keep the looting way like this , at least give us the new items in the templates or just publish their traits so we can figure out the new combinations ourselves ^^

This has been reported by many others as well. The droprate for the 2 items is abysmal, and the clams themselves are few and far between.

Not only have they not also been integrated into the PTS (not present in quantity in the test bags), they most likely have not been integrated into the game altogether either, such as rewards from daily writs, alchemy surveys, IC alchemy bags and other alchemy loottables. Meaning that the sole source for the items will be these few clams with an abysmal dropchance.
    This is literally the modus operandi for any new things ZOS adds to the game these days. Just look at jewelrycrafting mats ....

Why is it that you always have to make something drop as common as Alkahest or as rare as Perfect Roe? Why is it that you never adjust droprates according to feedback or numbers? At least try and aim for a middle ground between overabundant or extremely rare, especially for consumables such as alchemy materials.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »
    Do these come from other sources such as writs and surveys? Those might help bring more into the game beyond initial farming.

I'll try it now and will update this comment . Thanks for the idea ^^
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone determined what the effects are of these yet?
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Clam Gall has Breach and the other one has Restore Health . That's all I could learn by using the couple I had :/
  • hamsterontherocksb16_ESO
    I didn´t play PTS but the overall feedback seems to be that everything will be very dull and grindy. Jewelcrafting, clams, Psijic Order Skillline....

I wouldn´t rule out the possiblity that there are just too many players farming these things and you are just at the wrong end of the chain. This however would imply that you should stumble up other players at times.

Maybe they will adjust spawn and droprates for Live, though the more reasonable thinking (at least with my logic) would be to have a unrealisticly high droprate to get people to test the ins and outs of these materials. This however might backfire later when people complain that there had been a dropchance of x during PTS and you got a nerfed dropchance of x on live. It´s probably quite hard to find a balance there since people tend to complain either way (not meant as an offense to you at this point but a general statement about playerbase).

I´m trying to see it this way: Many people are focus farming these materials now. I remember back when homestead dropped the dropchance of the new materials has been low as well (and still is). But playing the game on a normal basis gave me so many materials over time that I´m now swimming in them. Had a farmed specifically I´d probably gone insane.

• pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely hoping that Alchemist Survey: Summerset turns out to be Clam Survey.
  • aaisoaho
    aaisoaho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried to find giant clams this morning, but I did not find a single clam on my journey, I did however find many, many treasure chests and psijic rifts. Do you have a picture of giant clam so we could see what are we looking for?

Oh, and if there was someone else farming clams, I did not see them. These clam mats will be rare and pricey.
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    aaisoaho wrote: »
    I tried to find giant clams this morning, but I did not find a single clam on my journey, I did however find many, many treasure chests and psijic rifts. Do you have a picture of giant clam so we could see what are we looking for?

Oh, and if there was someone else farming clams, I did not see them. These clam mats will be rare and pricey.

I am not in the game but I can try to explain ^^ They are as big as mudcrabs and only found in water . They are grey and sometimes really hard to see , especially when they are under the water . They are mostly above the water but a collected two that are barely visible . They also don't shine if you have the Keen Eye Alchemy passive .

I understand if ZOS wants to introduce more rare materials . It is ok but not for potions . Imagine having a build that uses a potion constantly (every 45 seconds or less) and you have only 4 potions from a single material . I'll say again , I got only 3 materials in total after an hour of running around in whole Summerset shores . Giant Clams are already hard to find and rare . Drop rate of the new materials are even worse . I found around 15 Clams and only 3 materials for Alchemy . When I do PvP or a raid , I spend at least 50-100 potions . If I want to use these potions for the specific build I am using , how is it possible to have enough potions ? No one is going to run around Summerset shores for few materials per hour .
  • Make2k15
    Make2k15
    ✭✭
    Liofa wrote: »

Clam Gall has Breach and the other one has Restore Health . That's all I could learn by using the couple I had :/

Well, I don't know all effects, but Glam Gall is supposed to be offensive reagent and from the one Glam Gall I got I can tell following: lady smock + dragon thorn + Clam Gall -> minor breach potion. So based from that you can tell that it doesn't have Increase Spell Power, Restore Magicka, Spell Critical, Increase Weapon Power, Restore Stamina, Fracture, Weapon Critical effects.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As it seems, the effects are niche and are meant to make filler potions, adding some combinations that weren't possible before. But since it's not a usable detection potion with stamina on it, there won't be a big addition.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • pauli133
    pauli133
    ✭✭✭✭✭

nwbWKWP.png

Note that this one was, helpfully, half-buried in a rock.

(pet salamander for scale)
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pauli133 wrote: »

nwbWKWP.png

Note that this one was, helpfully, half-buried in a rock.

(pet salamander for scale)

Awwwwww Pet Salamander for scale <3 So cuuuuuute.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'll try to find these guys and unlock their abilities
  • NordSwordnBoard
    NordSwordnBoard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    This is all part of a mad genius plan:
    12151509_2.jpg?v=8CECB9D487DDA10
    "Mother of Pearl in exchange for the Crabby Patty Formula! (Yes, it's that rare...)
    Fear is the Mindkiller
  • Make2k15
    Make2k15
    ✭✭
    Got all effects determined now:

MHiZy4o.png

KOcaOo0.png

BTW. The wamasu geyser boss was a quite of a fight to solo :)

Edit. Ingredient images added.
    Edited by Make2k15 on April 18, 2018 5:36PM
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Make2k15 wrote: »
    Got all but one effect determined now:

Clam Gall: Breach, Ravage magicka, Ravage stamina, Vulnerability

Powdered Mother of Pearl: Restore health, Protection, Vitality, unknown

Interesting
  • mertusta
    mertusta
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just did 2 abyssal geyser and got these ingredients from shell trove (reward box). Seems like there is 100% drop chance when you complete a geyser. Will do more and see if I'm correct. Btw @Liofa I'll send them to you, check your mail in pts.

Edit: Not 100%. 6th geyser gave nothing :/
    Edited by mertusta on April 18, 2018 3:33PM
  • Liofa
    Liofa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mertusta wrote: »
    I just did 2 abyssal geyser and got these ingredients from shell trove (reward box). Seems like there is 100% drop chance when you complete a geyser. Will do more and see if I'm correct. Btw @Liofa I'll send them to you, check your mail in pts.

<3
  • NoTimeToWait
    NoTimeToWait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soon: new potions available in the Crown Store.
    You could also craft these potions yourself using rare clam alchemy ingredients
  • Svenja
    Svenja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The drop chance on geysers is not 100%, i did around 10 geysirs so far and got only one of each ingredient so far. :(
    PC | EU

Svea Rochaud | Templar Healer | AD
    Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror - Immortal Redeemer - Tick-Tock-Tormentor - Gryphon Heart - Spirit Slayer
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet it's either entrapment or immovable.
    Edited by Amdar_Godkiller on April 18, 2018 3:40PM
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet it's either entrapment or immovable.

Could also be uncertainty or gradual ravage health. Vulnerability (in Clam Gall), Uncertainty, Gradual Ravage Health, and Stun/Entrapment were the 4 effects that could only be found in 2 reagents previously.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For powdered mother has anyone tested stamina, or immovable?
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well it's not stamina, immovable, or detection for powdered
  • Make2k15
    Make2k15
    ✭✭
    Got it done now:

MHiZy4o.png

KOcaOo0.png
    Edited by Make2k15 on April 18, 2018 5:35PM
  • Amdar_Godkiller
    Amdar_Godkiller
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Oh well, guess I was off.

Seemed logical.

Looks like these two could be combined with Butterfly wings for a double health and vitality pot, and a a double health drain + defile and vitality drain poison.
  • trowlk
    trowlk
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mix that Clam Gall and Scrib Jelly, you will get a 3 potion effect from just those 2. You can add another ingredient to a apply speed or breach effects-
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know if these are in the Tel Var bags?
  • DDuke
    DDuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Oh well, guess I was off.

Seemed logical.

Looks like these two could be combined with Butterfly wings for a double health and vitality pot, and a a double health drain + defile and vitality drain poison.

Damn, that double health drain+defile & vitality poison makes me want to resurrect my Assassin's Guile experiment...