The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

How is ESO doing in Popularity?

• liquid_wolf
    liquid_wolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Earth is pretty popular. Lots of activity there. But beyond that?

Not seeing much on Mars or Jupiter's Moons, though. Overall it seems like the universe is pretty empty.

Must not be very enjoyable if we can't see anyone else. Except for those die-hard fanboys on Earth, overall it seems the universe is failing hard.

Can't wait for it to go Free to Play.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skyrim shipped 20m units on consoles - that by far dwarves the PC audience.

An announcement was made in January that they sold over 20m copies of the game in total at that point, not just on consoles.
    Edited by IcyDeadPeople on July 19, 2014 12:53PM
  • Fuzzylumpkins
    Fuzzylumpkins
    ✭✭✭✭
    Earth is pretty popular. Lots of activity there. But beyond that?

Not seeing much on Mars or Jupiter's Moons, though. Overall it seems like the universe is pretty empty.

Must not be very enjoyable if we can't see anyone else. Except for those die-hard fanboys on Earth, overall it seems the universe is failing hard.

Can't wait for it to go Free to Play.

This seems like one of the post where a poster types to hear themselves peck at the keys and reads nothing else. It will not go free to play- stated hands down by ZoS. Privately funded game means if they do not see a profitable future for keeping the game up, servers come down. End of.

Now stating you cant wait for it to fail, is an emotion you can express that wouldn't have an impossible outcome tied to it. However while the game is doing poorly in many ways, if you are unhappy with it, why not move on?

• GossiTheDog
    GossiTheDog
    ✭✭✭✭✭

An announcement was made in January that they sold over 20m copies of the game in total at that point, not just on consoles. If I understand correctly, this corresponds to 8m units on Xbox360, 5m units on PS3, 4m packaged retail copies on PC and somewhere in the range of another 2-3m PC digital downloads.

Ah, I stand corrected - 20m included PC, you're right. The XB360 and PS3 units are speculation, I believe, as they weren't included in the release.

Still, though, to put this into perspective even if it sold 'just' 8m on Xbox, that's more than Grand Theft Auto 5 at release on both platforms. Skyrim was huge. To put it into perspective, it's on Amazon UK's highest selling games of all time list, behind just Call of Duty and FIFA.
  • Brizz
    Brizz
    ✭✭✭✭

An announcement was made in January that they sold over 20m copies of the game in total at that point, not just on consoles. If I understand correctly, this corresponds to 8m units on Xbox360, 5m units on PS3, 4m packaged retail copies on PC and somewhere in the range of another 2-3m PC digital downloads.

Ah, I stand corrected - 20m included PC, you're right. The XB360 and PS3 units are speculation, I believe, as they weren't included in the release.

Still, though, to put this into perspective even if it sold 'just' 8m on Xbox, that's more than Grand Theft Auto 5 at release on both platforms. Skyrim was huge. To put it into perspective, it's on Amazon UK's highest selling games of all time list, behind just Call of Duty and FIFA.

But alas, this is FAR from Skyrim, sadly. I bought and tried Skyrim because, you guessed it, word of mouth. The "Popularity" of this game and it's known issues will result in the console version being one of the worst releases in Bethesda/ZoS history - I'm calling it!

They seem to not care what the PC gamers think of the current upkeep/changes/broken mechanics/bugs, and it really puts me off - and it WILL effect their console version.
    :.,_,.:*"'"*:.,_,.:*"'"* Guild of Shadows *"'":.,_,.:*"'"*:.,_,.:
    Briizz - v14 EP Werewolf Nightblade <Former Emperor - Chillrend NA>
    Brizz The Elder Dragon - v14 EP Dragon Knight
    Brizz - v12 DC Nightblade <Former Emperor - Celarus NA>
    Brizeer - v4 Stamina Sorcerer - Prophet of Zazeer-Destroyer of Buff Severs and Eater of Sweet Rolls-
    Watch LIVE @ www.twitch.tv/brizztv
  • dcyoumans9257
    I agree with the notion that there has been an exodus of players. And i find it disappointing - I feel that this is a game with a lot of launch content that has a solid plan for the future. Yes, the vet levels are interminable - but I treat them as a side distraction. I am doing the alternate quest lines interspersed with Craglorn and dungeons. I feel the gaming press unreasonably demonized this game with a huge amount of effort while simultaneously praising weaker efforts like Wildstar. My opinion - but I think the combat is lively enough but still manageable - and this game is more a victim of liberal gaming bias than actual quality.
  • dcyoumans9257
    And I am the first to agree that it lacks the vertical depth of Skyrim - and with an I7 3770k I still have cpu bottleneck. There are problems - but I have never found an mmorpg this engaging for such a time.
  • Fuzzylumpkins
    Fuzzylumpkins
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the notion that there has been an exodus of players. And i find it disappointing - I feel that this is a game with a lot of launch content that has a solid plan for the future. Yes, the vet levels are interminable - but I treat them as a side distraction. I am doing the alternate quest lines interspersed with Craglorn and dungeons. I feel the gaming press unreasonably demonized this game with a huge amount of effort while simultaneously praising weaker efforts like Wildstar. My opinion - but I think the combat is lively enough but still manageable - and this game is more a victim of liberal gaming bias than actual quality.

Liberal gaming bias, victim, demonised? That is your opinions for sure and mine is your's are seriously diluted. The game released with progression breaking bugs that had been reported for months during beta- After 30 hours of questing in your alliance zones you are then sent on a journey to repeat the exact same quests for other factions... Okay before I get on a soapbox recanting all that is wrong with the game and horrible glitches/ breaks/ leaks and bad execution of mechanics, I will ask you to cover your eyes next time you look at the sun too long. It is dangerous. And can have negative effects on perception of reality.

Wildstar has nothing to do with this topic and it's praise was for releasing with a working model that delivered what it said it would plus player housing. Does that make it a better game? Heck no (imo horrible game) BUT it makes it a player/ consumer friendly game and ESO has been neither. The game has been an uphill and losing struggle since mid beta.

TL;DR The topic is questioning player interest in the game not what your opinion is of other games of why this one was so poorly received.

Edited by Fuzzylumpkins on July 2, 2014 12:10AM
  • wllstrt75b14_ESO
    wllstrt75b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭

what is this quality you speak of?

The awesome 3 FPS you get in cryodil? the seemingly never ending grind of boredom via vet quests? the number of quests that break with every new patch?

it seems all you care about are the ideas that zenimax is willing to dump more content on a server that has obvious coding issues making the situation more complex and deteriorating performance even more.

That is not quality that is *** poor management and completely ignoring the issues that plague the game.

how about continuing to nerf a class thats the weakest in the game(NB) while boosting all other classes? Again *** poor management.

I have seen Indy development teams do much better jobs with 1 millionth the budget...

It is simply pathetic tbh.
  • Moomins
    Moomins
    ✭✭✭
    There are currently over 770,000 active subscribers according to: http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/
    "Dragons? Oh, they're everywhere! You must fly very high to see most of them, though. The ones nearer the ground are very hard to see, being invisible."
    M'aiq the Liar
  • DeLindsay
    DeLindsay
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are currently over 770,000 active subscribers according to: http://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/us-digital-games-market/
    If it isn't from ZoS's mouth then it's not likely to be accurate, only a general guesstimate based on market sales data.
  • Zolyok
    Zolyok
    ✭✭✭
    TESO is not popular and ?
  • Silkesh
    Silkesh
    ✭✭
    It is certainly more popular than any of the haters we see roaming these forums.
  • MikeMoss
    MikeMoss
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

2018 and I still see players everyplace I go, a lot different than many 4 year old MMOs!

Mike