The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Russian (Cyrillic) in group tool (PUG) dungeon

• Feanor
    Feanor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m German playing with a game client set to English and occasionally talking English in German Guild chats. Guess everyone has their preferences.
    Main characters: Feanor the Believer - AD Altmer mSorc - AR 46 - Flawless Conqueror (PC EU)Idril Arnanor - AD Altmer mSorc - CP 217 - Stormproof (PC NA)Other characters:
    Necrophilius Killgood - DC Imperial NecromancerFearscales - AD Argonian Templar - Stormproof (healer)Draco Imperialis - AD Imperial DK (tank)Cabed Naearamarth - AD Dunmer mDKValirion Willowthorne - AD Bosmer stamBladeTuruna - AD Altmer magBladeKheled Zaram - AD Redguard stamDKKibil Nala - AD Redguard stamSorc - StormproofYavanna Kémentárí - AD Breton magWardenAzog gro-Ghâsh - EP Orc stamWardenVidar Drakenblød - DC Nord mDKMarquis de Peyrac - DC Breton mSorc - StormproofRawlith Khaj'ra - AD Khajiit stamWardenTu'waccah - AD Redguard Stamplar
    All chars 50 @ CP 1700+. Playing and enjoying PvP with RdK mostly on PC EU.
  • RobbieRocket
    RobbieRocket
    ✭✭✭
    Having read the entire thread and with my head marginally spinning what becomes apparent is that quite a few people are venting frustration, and not necessarily commenting on the bigger picture.

Most of the conflicting point of views here actually carry the common theme of showing respect. Except that the theme is used in juxtaposition...

original - PEOPLE SHOULD SHOW RESPECT... by speaking English in a group
    counter - PEOPLE SHOULD SHOW RESPECT... by accepting other people's languages

(evolve/enlarge arguments)

original - PEOPLE SHOULD SHOW RESPECT... by increasing inclusion (if you can speak English this is one way to do it)
    counter - PEOPLE SHOULD SHOW RESPECT... by increasing acceptance (tolerating a sub-group using another language)

original - PEOPLE SHOULD SHOW RESPECT... by increasing inclusion (answer when someone communicates - "nope" is a viable method of expressing discomfort at speaking English)
    counter - PEOPLE SHOULD SHOW RESPECT... by increasing acceptance (accepting "nope" when someone expresses discomfort about speaking English)

original and counter - PEOPLE SHOULD SHOW RESPECT... with inclusion and tolerance.
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its rather interesting to watch a whole bunch of people argue that group dungeons are so difficult that its only polite that everyone make an effort to speak the same language, when most of the time, people are arguing that group dungeons are so easy, you don't need a tank, or a healer, or anything other than decent DPS.

Its interesting.

It's rather interesting to watch a whole bunch of people arguing that umbrellas are cumbersome, but then wearing shoes on Tuesdays.

Wait, it may have been too obscure, let me rephrase it:
    goats-are-like-mushrooms-if-you-shoot-a-duck-im-15989598.png

*edit*
    Let me clarify, I'm not arguing your standpoint, I just gave you a visual representation of how that sounded to me.

Pastas wrote: »
    Aisle9 wrote: »
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Can't work out if this is a troll thread or a racist thread

It's a thread asking people to be just a little considerate towards other people instead of having private conversations in a minority language in a public space.

And as such, I find it a perfectly reasonable request from the OP.

So if a person who can't speak English joins a group with 3 English players they should be expected to not speak in chat? Or should everyone in the world learn to speak English fluently?

You don't need to learn to speak English fluently, but we live in a day and age where it's kind of expected you have a basic grasp of a language different from your own, especially a simple one like English.

Just saying

Generally I will consider it rude to spam or troll in your native language. EU server is often plagued by this, people having private conversations in zone chat in Russian (or sometimes German or French, other languages too), that could easily have been made in whisper.

There is no official language for zone chat.

There is a french and german zone chat, tho, and English is kind of universally recognized as the language to communicate if you're not sure what the native language is.

It is fun how some english spaekers asume that everybody esle have to learn their language.

I'm Italian.

Edited by Aisle9 on January 31, 2018 1:31PM
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its rather interesting to watch a whole bunch of people argue that group dungeons are so difficult that its only polite that everyone make an effort to speak the same language, when most of the time, people are arguing that group dungeons are so easy, you don't need a tank, or a healer, or anything other than decent DPS.

Its interesting.

@Eremith
    Cheers, now we just need to wait for the mods to clock in for work, we're still on EU time.

If Russian is really forbidden here then they also should have moderated this https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4330404#Comment_4330404 and this https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/4744169#Comment_4744169

dsalter wrote: »
    logarifmik wrote: »
    Eremith wrote: »
    Huyen wrote: »
    RexyCat wrote: »
    report them, they should be banned

Read my post again: it isn't about their language, but that actually very well understand English, but chose to not use English when they are looking form 3d or 4th person to join up through GT.

So far in the 12 years I play MMO's online every single russian I encountered refuses to speak english in any degree. And in WoW-pvp they cheat the crap out of the game. So they dont have to count on love from my side again.

I speak English in ESO. So if you and me have been in a group at least once, then I must admit that you lie saying every single Russian you encountered refuses to speak English.
    So, should I say now that every single English speaker I encountered is a liar?
    This is just perfect! One couldn't have said it better. :D

but then you are making the assumtion you know EVERY russian speaker isn't a jackass.
    both of you are right and wrong.
    but the main point is not everyone is the same nor should you assume from THEIR point of view, after all the guy said every russian HE has encountered.
    Yeah, but he said 'every single Russian'.
    See, the guy is pretty sure that every English speaker he encountered is not Russian. He only consider a Russian those who refused to speak English.
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dsalter wrote: »
    logarifmik wrote: »
    Huyen wrote: »
    RexyCat wrote: »
    report them, they should be banned

Read my post again: it isn't about their language, but that actually very well understand English, but chose to not use English when they are looking form 3d or 4th person to join up through GT.

So far in the 12 years I play MMO's online every single russian I encountered refuses to speak english in any degree. And in WoW-pvp they cheat the crap out of the game. So they dont have to count on love from my side again.

I speak English in ESO. So if you and me have been in a group at least once, then I must admit that you lie saying every single Russian you encountered refuses to speak English.
    So, should I say now that every single English speaker I encountered is a liar?
    This is just perfect! One couldn't have said it better. :D

but then you are making the assumtion you know EVERY russian speaker isn't a jackass.
    both of you are right and wrong.
    but the main point is not everyone is the same nor should you assume from THEIR point of view, after all the guy said every russian HE has encountered.
    Yeah, but he said 'every single Russian'.
    See, the guy is pretty sure that every English speaker he encountered is not Russian. He only consider a Russian those who refused to speak English.

If they're speaking in English they're obviously not true Russians!

Edited by Aisle9 on January 31, 2018 1:55PM
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)

#SpellswordArmy

• Chilly-McFreeze
    Chilly-McFreeze
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Duh duh. Is there something in the TOS we agreed to that forbids the use of specific languages? No? Then shut up. Not being accomodative isn't a crime, it's impolite at best.

So I grab the bulls by the horns and ask that those who demand a ban to players speaking in other languages than english being banned themselves for harassment (2.5) and false reports (2.8).
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Duh duh. Is there something in the TOS we agreed to that forbids the use of specific languages? No? Then shut up. Not being accomodative isn't a crime, it's impolite at best.

Agreed...

So I grab the bulls by the horns and ask that those who demand a ban to players speaking in other languages than english being banned themselves for harassment (2.5) and false reports (2.8).

aaaand it's gone.

#SpellswordArmy

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's a thread asking people to be just a little considerate towards other people instead of having private conversations in a minority language in a public space.

So if a person who can't speak English joins a group with 3 English players they should be expected to not speak in chat? Or should everyone in the world learn to speak English fluently?

You don't need to learn to speak English fluently, but we live in a day and age where it's kind of expected you have a basic grasp of a language different from your own, especially a simple one like English.

Just saying

Generally I will consider it rude to spam or troll in your native language. EU server is often plagued by this, people having private conversations in zone chat in Russian (or sometimes German or French, other languages too), that could easily have been made in whisper.

There is a french and german zone chat, tho, and English is kind of universally recognized as the language to communicate if you're not sure what the native language is.

It is fun how some english spaekers asume that everybody esle have to learn their language.
    They're not wrong though. Whether we like it or not, English is the most global language we have. Personally I rather like it because English is a really simple language unlike something like Russian or better yet Chinese(it's not a comparative thing, it's a fact - English simply doesn't have most of the grammatical/spelling structures that make, say, Russian and German complicated). It's the language of the internet. It's the original language of grand lot of games, movies and books. It's the standard language in programming. It's the standard language for communication between people or/and companies from different parts of the world. It's the standard language in guest/tourist service (hotels etc) in most of the world.

It's not about English being best, it's about it already being global. As a Russian, I love my language and I think it's a much richer and fun language than English(imho), but I really wish more of our people would learn English instead of pretending it's "not necessary". Unless you live in that stereotypical village in the middle of Syberia where you just got electricity last year, haven't heard of such a thing called internet and your main and only job is herding deers, yes, it is quickly becoming necessary and denying that is pure ignorance.

Also, this game is a GREAT way to practice your English, some people are just being silly by missing out on it for the sake of feeling "special" :p
  • Zombbus
    Zombbus
    ✭✭
    Following your logic all EU people who use their language in public chat except UK guys shall be reported.
    Why no one blames germans or french ppl (for example) in group chats who cant speak english?
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »

Just saying

They're not wrong though. Whether we like it or not, English is the most global language we have. Personally I rather like it because English is a really simple language unlike something like Russian or better yet Chinese(it's not a comparative thing, it's a fact - English simply doesn't have most of the grammatical/spelling structures that make, say, Russian and German complicated). It's the language of the internet. It's the original language of grand lot of games, movies and books. It's the standard language in programming. It's the standard language for communication between people or/and companies from different parts of the world. It's the standard language in guest/tourist service (hotels etc) in most of the world.

It's not about English being best, it's about it already being global. As a Russian, I love my language and I think it's a much richer and fun language than English(imho), but I really wish more of our people would learn English instead of pretending it's "not necessary". Unless you live in that stereotypical village in the middle of Syberia where you just got electricity last year, haven't heard of such a thing called internet and your main and only job is herding deers, yes, it is quickly becoming necessary and denying that is pure ignorance.

Also, this game is a GREAT way to practice your English, some people are just being silly by missing out on it for the sake of feeling "special" :p

Wait a second, just... wait a second...

Are there really deer herders ? Is that a thing ? Can deer even be herded ?

#SpellswordArmy

• Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Magdalina wrote: »

Just saying

Wait a second, just... wait a second...

Are there really deer herders ? Is that a thing ? Can deer even be herded ?
    Reindeer, yeah. They're perfect for northern climate - provide meat, fur, milk, bones, survive the cold and can feed on moss. In Russia, I think some of the chukchi tribe for example still rely on reindeer for most everything. Not all of them but still. ...anyway, I was just making a joke, sorry for off topic XD

• ZOS_KatP
    ZOS_KatP
    ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Since this thread has violated a few of our forum rules including bashing, baiting, and nonconstructive posts, we've decided to close it.

Thanks.
    Edited by ZOS_KatP on January 31, 2018 2:39PM
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.