The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Russian (Cyrillic) in group tool (PUG) dungeon

• Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally I will consider it rude to spam or troll in your native language. EU server is often plagued by this, people having private conversations in zone chat in Russian (or sometimes German or French, other languages too), that could easily have been made in whisper.
    Also if I'm in a PUG in the group finder, I prefer people to keep the group chat in English. Luckily my knowledge of German and French is passable, so I don't mind that too much (though I still consider it inconsiderate), but having conversations in Russian in group chat in a group finder group is still something I consider rude.

I won't report people, since I'm sure it doesn't break any server guidelines (maybe spamming), but I certainly will consider it impolite or rude, and I will eventually put people on my ignore list if it continues.

In this day and time, and being online, there is little to no excuse for not keeping public chat in English in a game such as this.
    And for context: English is not my primary language, so it's not a simple case of linguicism.

It's not as if I ever use the zone chat, guild chat or group chat with my native languages, even when speaking to people from my area of the Eurozone.
  • neal_brasier
    neal_brasier
    ✭✭✭
    Can't work out if this is a troll thread or a racist thread
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a thread asking people to be just a little considerate towards other people instead of having private conversations in a minority language in a public space.

And as such, I find it a perfectly reasonable request from the OP.
  • Thermoluminescence
    Filthy Russians.
    Art is a lie that makes us realize truth.
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's assume it's not a troll thread.

Why would that be racist ?

We, as people, work on preconceptions, our own brain has a number of predictive structures, to be able to process the amount of informations our senses receive.

Translated into the game, if you join a group you're assuming that:
    a) like in fairy tales, you will work as a team to reach a goal.
    b) like in science fiction, if you make an effort to try to communicate with your teammates, they will extend the same courtesy to you.

Rather than saying the OP is racist, I'd say he's incredibly naive.

When you play the game of PuGs, you win or you ragequit.

Edited by Aisle9 on January 31, 2018 11:00AM
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • neal_brasier
    neal_brasier
    ✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »

It's a thread asking people to be just a little considerate towards other people instead of having private conversations in a minority language in a public space.

So if a person who can't speak English joins a group with 3 English players they should be expected to not speak in chat? Or should everyone in the world learn to speak English fluently?
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The internet doesn't belong to anyone. People can speak whatever language they want.
  • Demycilian
    Demycilian
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is horrible and scary.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally I will consider it rude to spam or troll in your native language. EU server is often plagued by this, people having private conversations in zone chat in Russian (or sometimes German or French, other languages too), that could easily have been made in whisper.

There is no official language for zone chat.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's not a reasonable request. It's xenophobic.
  • neal_brasier
    neal_brasier
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest if I go into a pug I'm normally more annoyed by the duel wielding healer than someone speaking a different language all you have to do is turn off voice chat or ignore the text chat it's really not difficult
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So if a person who can't speak English joins a group with 3 English players they should be expected to not speak in chat? Or should everyone in the world learn to speak English fluently?

If you intend to play a multiplayer, worldwide online game in 2018, yes, then you should be expected to have at least some efficiency in English.

If you don't speak English and join a group with 3 English speaking people, whatever would you achieve in speaking to them in Russian, or whatever language? I don't see the relevance of your example.

Just because you can do something does not mean that you should do something. Hence my comment about it being inconsiderate and rude, but not "illegal" or "not allowed".

If people were more concerned about acting considerate towards one another, instead of enforcing themselves upon one another through "I'm allowed to, so I'll just do it!", I'm sure the world would be a better place, but that's a different discussion anyway.
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't need to learn to speak English fluently, but we live in a day and age where it's kind of expected you have a basic grasp of a language different from your own, especially a simple one like English.

Just saying.

There is a french and german zone chat, tho, and English is kind of universally recognized as the language to communicate if you're not sure what the native language is.
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)

#SpellswordArmy

• ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aisle9 wrote: »
    ssorgatem wrote: »
    They should report you for not speaking Russian.

Seriously, if they all speak Russian and not English, why should they cater to you?
    Why wouldn't you just speak Russian to them?

You find that an unreasonable request?

Well, it's the same for them with English.

Not all ESO players are English speakers.

I myself ejoy it when I have to be the interpreter between French, German and Spanish members of a PUG.

I've also met Greeks, Serbians, Hungarians and even Italians, but except for the latter, I'm not fluent enough in those languages to communicate effectively...

You can't speak Italian... reported!

Well that's the one in the list I can... kinda... speak (let's say I can communicate with Italian speakers without trouble)
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice virtue signaling.

#SpellswordArmy

• dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    the fact i have to resort to using an addon to remove crylic from my game says alot.
    this is why russia and east EU needs its own server, better ping, more chance of them communicating with fellow easterners
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Runschei
    Runschei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People speaking other languages than English will always be a problem but there is nothing you can do about it. You cannot expect everyone to know English and that is alright. I myself have spend countless minutes trying to explain tactics and requirements for dungeons and their quests, heck even trials, in both Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, English, Italian and German but got nothing out of it. I either end up doing the dungeon/trial very differently compared to what I would usually do, or I would leave or vote to kick if it is just one dude messing up the dungeon. No reason to report, people just speak different languages.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you intend to play a multiplayer, worldwide online game in 2018, yes, then you should be expected to have at least some efficiency in English.

The internet doesn't have an official language, sorry.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 31, 2018 11:03AM
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dsalter wrote: »
    the fact i have to resort to using an addon to remove crylic from my game says alot.
    this is why russia and east EU needs its own server, better ping, more chance of them communicating with fellow easterners

I'd be careful if I were you, that's the kind of statement the Thought Police is monitoring.

#SpellswordArmy

• Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The internet doesn't have an official language, sorry.

Then why are you using English ? reported!

#SpellswordArmy

• Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a bit sad that the world has come to a place where asking people to be a little considerate towards others is judged to be xenophobic.
    But then again, hyperbolic speech is becoming more and more the norm in internet arguments.

By the way, there are several guilds who enforce English as the only language in guild chat, specifically not to make other people feel excluded or estranged. For instance every single one of my 5 trade guilds.
    But I'm assuming they are also just a bunch of xenophobic oafs.

Edited by Carbonised on January 31, 2018 11:06AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a bit sad that the world has come to a place where asking people to be a little considerate towards others is judged to be xenophobic.
    But then again, hyperbolic speech is becoming more and more the norm in internet arguments.

By the way, there are several guilds who enforce English as the only language in guild chat, specificall not to make other people feel excluded or estranged. For instance every single one of my 5 trade guilds.

Expecting others to speak the language you want them to speak is inconsiderate, and is usually fueled by xenophobia.

ZOS should start selling MTGA hats in-game. I bet they'd make a killing.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 31, 2018 11:07AM
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Aisle9 wrote: »
    dsalter wrote: »

I'd be careful if I were you, that's the kind of statement the Thought Police is monitoring.

hardly. freedom of speech covers my buttocks on that one. its not a hate speech its stating what i have to do to see less languages i do not understand.
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RexyCat wrote: »
    Lately there are more and more Russian speaking when I finally get a random dungeon for my pledges through Group Tool. I asked if they could use English instead and they refused with a "nope". Is there some rules for what language people are allowed to use when using group tool to form a group?

Should those people be reported or just ignored? Problem is that once one group tool group one with those people it is very likely on will be grouped with those again next time one try to use group tool.

I have nothing against Russian people as long as they use a language one can understand like English and in Latin alphabet.

they could say the same about you ya know
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sengra wrote: »
    ssorgatem wrote: »
    Seriously, if they all speak Russian and not English, why should they cater to you?
    Why wouldn't you just speak Russian to them?

You find that an unreasonable request?

Well, it's the same for them with English.

Not all ESO players are English speakers.

Let's not play stupid here. We all learn English in school, because it's the common language once you cross the borders of your national state. That makes it easier for English native speakers (which could be considered unfair, yes), but it doesn't change the fact that we need to communicate somehow and English is far easier to learn than Russian or German.

I understand it if people don't speak it well enough, but at least say something like "no English, sorry" and give the people a decent reply. Answering a polite question with "nope" or just refusing to say anything at all is rude, regardless of nationality.

Lol.

The level of English learnt in schools in most of non-Germanic Europe isn't near enough to let most people write coherent things in a chat.

It's like expecting all Americans to be able to chat in Spanish with Spanish speakers.

Also, what is rude and what isn't changes a lot between countries.I would certainly not attribute wilful rudeness to a response by someone not fluent in a language, who also probably doesn't know the proper etiquette to sound polite in that language.

If ESO is available in French and German, that's to cater to French and German speakers who couldn't, or wouldn't play in English.

But well, people play even Chinese and Korean MMOs without knowing those languages, so you are bound to find players that can't speak English even if they play with the client in English.

Heh, I myself started playing MMORPGs in English before I could say things in English.

Also, having learnt both, I can assure you that English is not any easier than German, and that's from someone that's native in 2 Romance languages, which should give me an edge on English lexicon over German, in theory.

Can't say about Russian. But Russian is probably much, much easier to learn than English for Poles, Serbs, Chechs, Slovenes, Bulgarians, Ukrainians, etc.
    Edited by ssorgatem on January 31, 2018 11:14AM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

By the way, there are several guilds who enforce English as the only language in guild chat, specificall not to make other people feel excluded or estranged. For instance every single one of my 5 trade guilds.

Expecting others to speak the language you want them to speak is inconsiderate, and is usually fueled by xenophobia.

If you could stop fighting your own strawmen for a moment, you would see that nowhere have I mentioned that people couldn't speak whatever language they damn well want to in their private conversations and whispers and private groups.

But when several people meet in a public space, with, what, 20 different languages or probably many more, in the Eurozone, it is generally considered polite to keep to the lingua franca which translates to "a language that is adopted as a common language between speakers whose native languages are different. - which in our day and time is considered to be the English language.

And that's the final word I have on that matter, so feel free to keep punching at shadows and strawmen.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While there's nothing to report for, imo it's rude to just speak your mothertongue while other people obviously don't get it, like if the other person isn't even there. And I say that as a Russian...if you don't speak English, at least have the decency to look up how to say "sorry I/we don't speak much English" and say that at the start of the run so everyone knows the deal. It's so %^*&ing annoying to find out mid run the reason you're wiping is no one actually understands your mechanics explanations but they never bothered to speak up about it because why indeed? Better wipe 57 times.

If you join a team, be part of the team - or don't join, simple.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you could stop fighting your own strawmen for a moment, you would see that nowhere have I mentioned that people couldn't speak whatever language they damn well want to in their private conversations and whispers and private groups.

But when several people meet in a public space, with, what, 20 different languages or probably many more, in the Eurozone, it is generally considered polite to keep to the lingua franca which translates to "a language that is adopted as a common language between speakers whose native languages are different. - which in our day and time is considered to be the English language.

And that's the final word I have on that matter, so feel free to keep punching at shadows and strawmen.

People have the right to speak in whatever language they want to on the internet, which has no official language. Your unofficial customs are not binding. That is the final word on the matter.
  • Mgghool
    Mgghool
    ✭✭✭
    Using russian, french and italian should be considered violation of TOS and perpetrators should be banned without warning.
    Ok i will drop the sarcasm, but I consider chating in group chat in language not known by all in group quiete rude. English is lingua franca for gaming.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People have the right to speak in whatever language they want to on the internet, which has no official language. Your unofficial customs are not binding. That is the final word on the matter.

Try and make a post or a reply here on the ESO forums in Russian, or whatever non-English language you prefer, and see what happens. Really, I dare you.
This discussion has been closed.