The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Russian (Cyrillic) in group tool (PUG) dungeon

• piemont
    piemont
    Soul Shriven
    mocap wrote: »
    Huyen wrote: »
    every single russian I encountered refuses to speak english in any degree
    bs. Especially for ESO. This game doesn't have an official Russian localization, so most of RU players know at least basic English.

Correction: yes, no OFFICIAL localization. But there is an addon that translates game to rus. Ppl have been working on it for a few years already and trying to update every patch, so rus ppl who dont know eng good enough can enjoy game and lore. And that way a lot of newcomers can play in rus staight away. Your statment about must have basic english was true at first year of game being released. Imo.
    Edited by piemont on January 31, 2018 11:27AM
  • Grabmoore
    Grabmoore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The person reporting someone for speaking another language should be banned.

I have proposal to OP: Use The addon 'Chat2Clipboard' and copy their text to Google Translate. Make friends, not war ;)
    EU - PC - Ebonheart Pact
    Iggy Grabmoore - Argonian Magicka Templar | Nyctasha - Redguard Stamina Nightblade
    Do-Ra'Zhar - Khajiit Stamina DK | Ashmedi - Dunmer Magicka DK
    Vanya Darchow - AD Altmer Magicka Sorc | Malek gro'Kash - Orc Stam Sorc
    GM of "Handelshaus von Riften" - Trading & PvX Community
  • Vulsahdaal
    Vulsahdaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbonised wrote: »
    Can't work out if this is a troll thread or a racist thread

It's a thread asking people to be just a little considerate towards other people instead of having private conversations in a minority language in a public space.

And as such, I find it a perfectly reasonable request from the OP.

I cant say I agree. Your reasoning is almost correct. I dont really see it as a 'public space', since my understanding is that it was limited to a group of four.
    However, if three of those four people speak Russian, and one doesnt, wouldnt that make English the minority language?

To me, it would have been more considerate for the OP to switch to Russian, than asking the majority to change their preferred language.
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭

It's a thread asking people to be just a little considerate towards other people instead of having private conversations in a minority language in a public space.

It's not a reasonable request. It's xenophobic.

It's a bit sad that the world has come to a place where asking people to be a little considerate towards others is judged to be xenophobic.
    But then again, hyperbolic speech is becoming more and more the norm in internet arguments.

By the way, there are several guilds who enforce English as the only language in guild chat, specificall not to make other people feel excluded or estranged. For instance every single one of my 5 trade guilds.
    But I'm assuming they are also just a bunch of xenophobic oafs.

Expecting others to speak the language you want them to speak is inconsiderate, and is usually fueled by xenophobia.

If you could stop fighting your own strawmen for a moment, you would see that nowhere have I mentioned that people couldn't speak whatever language they damn well want to in their private conversations and whispers and private groups.

But when several people meet in a public space, with, what, 20 different languages or probably many more, in the Eurozone, it is generally considered polite to keep to the lingua franca which translates to "a language that is adopted as a common language between speakers whose native languages are different. - which in our day and time is considered to be the English language.

And that's the final word I have on that matter, so feel free to keep punching at shadows and strawmen.

People have the right to speak in whatever language they want to on the internet, which has no official language. Your unofficial customs are not binding. That is the final word on the matter.

Try and make a post or a reply here on the ESO forums in Russian, or whatever non-English language you prefer, and see what happens. Really, I dare you.

Are you aware that the forums are separated by language, and tht we currently are in the "Forums > English > General ESO Discussion" forum?

Of course you can only use English in the English forums.

There are forums for the other languages supported by ZoS.

If there aren't forums for any other language, it's because thye need moderation and there's a limit to how many languages can be supported by the moderation team(s).
    This is not true of in-game chat.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a bit sad that the world has come to a place where asking people to be a little considerate towards others is judged to be xenophobic.
    But then again, hyperbolic speech is becoming more and more the norm in internet arguments.

By the way, there are several guilds who enforce English as the only language in guild chat, specificall not to make other people feel excluded or estranged. For instance every single one of my 5 trade guilds.

Expecting others to speak the language you want them to speak is inconsiderate, and is usually fueled by xenophobia.

If you could stop fighting your own strawmen for a moment, you would see that nowhere have I mentioned that people couldn't speak whatever language they damn well want to in their private conversations and whispers and private groups.

But when several people meet in a public space, with, what, 20 different languages or probably many more, in the Eurozone, it is generally considered polite to keep to the lingua franca which translates to "a language that is adopted as a common language between speakers whose native languages are different. - which in our day and time is considered to be the English language.

And that's the final word I have on that matter, so feel free to keep punching at shadows and strawmen.

People have the right to speak in whatever language they want to on the internet, which has no official language. Your unofficial customs are not binding. That is the final word on the matter.

Try and make a post or a reply here on the ESO forums in Russian, or whatever non-English language you prefer, and see what happens. Really, I dare you.

I would, but this sub-forum is specifically marked as "ENGLISH" (there are other sub-forums for other languages), because the support staff that read this board only speak English. The game itself doesn't make such distinctions.

For example, you can't make a topic in English on the German sub-forum.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 31, 2018 11:30AM
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ssorgatem wrote: »

Are you aware that the forums are separated by language, and tht we currently are in the "Forums > English > General ESO Discussion" forum?

If there aren't forums for any other language, it's because thye need moderation and there's a limit to how many languages can be supported by the moderation team(s).

Yes, I am perfectly aware of that, which is exactly why I asked the person I quoted to try it. He seemed/seems to adamantly and vehemently to repeat the phrase that "the internet has no official language, people can use whatever language they want".
    My reply showed that that is not the case at all, that even if you don't get thrown in jail or fined from writing on a page such as this one in Russian, it does get moderated. And as an allegory to that, while there are no laws enforcing what language you use in the zone chat or other public channels, there are:
    1) Rules set by the community [i.e. all my 5 guilds enforce English only in guild channels, and breaking it will eventually get you kicked from the guild]
    2) Common courtsey, which apparently died long ago according to some posters in this thread.

And finally, there are only French and German subforums, there is no Russian, or for that matter, Greek or Persian. So those people will either have to adapt (to the English lingua franca), or not participate in the discussions.

Edited by Carbonised on January 31, 2018 11:35AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I am perfectly aware of that, which is exactly why I asked the person I quoted to try it. He seemed/seems to adamantly and vehemently to repeat the phrase that "the internet has no official language, people can use whatever language they want".
    My reply showed that that is not the case at all, that even if you don't get thrown in jail or fined from writing on a page such as this one in Russian, it does get moderated. And as an allegory to that, while there are no laws enforcing what language you use in the zone chat or other public channels, there are:
    1) Rules set by the community [i.e. all my 5 guilds enforce English only in guild channels, and breaking it will eventually get you kicked from the guild]
    2) Common courtsey, which apparently died long ago according to some posters in this thread.

You can impose a language on a private online space, such as a website or a guild. You can't impose one on a public online space (which most games are since developers aren't about to tell their non-English speaking, paying customers to *** off). Until ZOS explicitly says that only English is allowed in the game, people can speak whatever language they want.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on January 31, 2018 11:36AM
  • Aeladiir
    Aeladiir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RexyCat wrote: »
    Lately there are more and more Russian speaking when I finally get a random dungeon for my pledges through Group Tool. I asked if they could use English instead and they refused with a "nope". Is there some rules for what language people are allowed to use when using group tool to form a group?

Should those people be reported or just ignored? Problem is that once one group tool group one with those people it is very likely on will be grouped with those again next time one try to use group tool.

I have nothing against Russian people as long as they use a language one can understand like English and in Latin alphabet.

LUL
  • Golevan
    Golevan
    ✭✭✭
    People
    you of what?
    imperial ambitions?
    Why English better than French or German? Or Russian...
    French - beautiful, German - confident and strong.
    Russian and melodious and strong :)
    Each language has its own beauty
    But making one language is better than another, it's bad
    Tolerance must be and people will reach out to you

my English is disgusting :)))
    I'm from Belarus
  • dekzz
    dekzz
    ✭✭
    Tbh....as soon as I see cyrillics or any other kind of hierogylphs in zone/group chats.....I instantly ignore. I know it may sound rude, but I dont see any possible situations where I will need or especially want to communicate/play with them xD
  • Sengra
    Sengra
    ✭✭✭

Lol.

The level of English learnt in schools in most of non-Germanic Europe isn't near enough to let most people write coherent things in a chat.

It's like expecting all Americans to be able to chat in Spanish with Spanish speakers.

Also, what is rude and what isn't changes a lot between countries.I would certainly not attribute wilful rudeness to a response by someone not fluent in a language, who also probably doesn't know the proper etiquette to sound polite in that language.

If ESO is available in French and German, that's to cater to French and German speakers who couldn't, or wouldn't play in English.

But well, people play even Chinese and Korean MMOs without knowing those languages, so you are bound to find players that can't speak English even if they play with the client in English.

Heh, I myself started playing MMORPGs in English before I could say things in English.

Also, having learnt both, I can assure you that English is not any easier than German, and that's from someone that's native in 2 Romance languages, which should give me an edge on English lexicon over German, in theory.

Can't say about Russian. But Russian is probably much, much easier to learn than English for Poles, Serbs, Chechs, Slovenes, Bulgarians, Ukrainians, etc.

I know it's not always easy, maybe my attitude is a little naive. I don't have a problem with other languages in zone chat, I just don't like that a certain kind of rudeness seems to become the expected norm in games and on the internet, maybe that's what ticked me off. I played BDO for a while and there you have people yelling at other people who dare to speak a word in their native language in world chat, that was horrible as well. *sigh*
    Still I would always recommend to make an effort and use a lingua franca. If you can play the game in English, it should be possible to know a few phrases here and there. I'm pretty sure the same people who pretend to not know anything at all wouldn't have a problem ordering a beer in English. ;)

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sengra wrote: »
    Seriously, if they all speak Russian and not English, why should they cater to you?
    Why wouldn't you just speak Russian to them?

You find that an unreasonable request?

Well, it's the same for them with English.

Not all ESO players are English speakers.

Let's not play stupid here. We all learn English in school, because it's the common language once you cross the borders of your national state. That makes it easier for English native speakers (which could be considered unfair, yes), but it doesn't change the fact that we need to communicate somehow and English is far easier to learn than Russian or German.

I understand it if people don't speak it well enough, but at least say something like "no English, sorry" and give the people a decent reply. Answering a polite question with "nope" or just refusing to say anything at all is rude, regardless of nationality.

Lol.

The level of English learnt in schools in most of non-Germanic Europe isn't near enough to let most people write coherent things in a chat.

It's like expecting all Americans to be able to chat in Spanish with Spanish speakers.

Also, what is rude and what isn't changes a lot between countries.I would certainly not attribute wilful rudeness to a response by someone not fluent in a language, who also probably doesn't know the proper etiquette to sound polite in that language.

If ESO is available in French and German, that's to cater to French and German speakers who couldn't, or wouldn't play in English.

But well, people play even Chinese and Korean MMOs without knowing those languages, so you are bound to find players that can't speak English even if they play with the client in English.

Heh, I myself started playing MMORPGs in English before I could say things in English.

Also, having learnt both, I can assure you that English is not any easier than German, and that's from someone that's native in 2 Romance languages, which should give me an edge on English lexicon over German, in theory.

Can't say about Russian. But Russian is probably much, much easier to learn than English for Poles, Serbs, Chechs, Slovenes, Bulgarians, Ukrainians, etc.

1) Diffusion
    2) Simplified grammar.

It's not a matter of what's easier for <insert language> native, but rather what's easier for most of the people.

Thinking "It's easier for them to do this, than that, therefore I should conform" is not going to get you anywhere in life.

Thinking "what's easier for everyone" is what helps you in a community.

For an English speaker is easier to learn Bokmål, does that mean is easy for a French speaker too ? No, it's not.

I can understand someone playing a Korean MMO, but ESO is not. You have a right to expect people to speak the same language recognized almost universally as the one to use to communicate in this context. Your brain is predicting that pattern. When it doesn't happen you have a conflict between what you expect and what actually happen, so your brain tries to make sense of it.

But a clarification is needed.

While it's not considered rude to not being able to converse in English, it is perceived as rude to exclude people from a conversation.

But accusing the OP (or anyone) of xenophobia for expecting others to include him in the conversation is pure lunacy. At best just naivety.

What is lost to most native English speakers is that non-native English speakers made an effort to learn a language that would allow them to communicate with other people, therefore it's just human to expect the same effort be made by other people.

I make an effort to extend this courtesy to you, therefore I expect you to do the same.

Edited by Aisle9 on January 31, 2018 11:51AM
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭

And finally, there are only French and German subforums, there is no Russian, or for that matter, Greek or Persian. So those people will either have to adapt (to the English lingua franca), or not participate in the discussions.

Well, of course you can restrict ther allowed languages in private sites, like this forum or a guild. I've been in guilds that allowed only French, only German or only Spanish in guild chat too.

But in-game group chat or public chat? They are about as legitimate in not using English as you are in not using, say, Russian.

"Common courtesy" you say. Since when demanding people speak your preferred language is "common courtesy"?
    Even if they did speak it (which probably wasn't the case), you are not entitled to change the language of a whole group.
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, of course you can restrict ther allowed languages in private sites, like this forum or a guild. I've been in guilds that allowed only French, only German or only Spanish in guild chat too.

But in-game group chat or public chat? They are about as legitimate in not using English as you are in not using, say, Russian.

"Common courtesy" you say. Since when demanding people speak your preferred language is "common courtesy"?
    Even if they did speak it (which probably wasn't the case), you are not entitled to change the language of a whole group.

The "preferred language" is the one that has the best chance to get the most people to understand.

I'm Italian, but my preferred language is English, because I'm sure that when I try to speak Italian, only 1% (at best) of the people hearing it will understand it, while I'm also sure that 80% of my audience will understand if I speak English.

It's not racism, just efficiency, if your goal is to communicate with others.

Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)

#SpellswordArmy

• Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    LMAO

At least they communicate between each other. I no longer do veteran PUGging due to people not reading chat at all. And I'm using english.

BTW if I were to pretend to be a moron and assume there should be some rules about language, then I'd say that the majority of the group decides which language to use. So if you're pugging FG2 and 3 out of 4 speak (for example) japanese, then you're *** out of luck. Adapt or get out.

For zone chat...well, I haven't seen any restrictions. Unless it's a specific zone chat. But I don't think I see less french or german language, so it doesn't bother me either way.

Edited by Anhedonie on January 31, 2018 11:55AM
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aisle9 wrote: »
    Seriously, if they all speak Russian and not English, why should they cater to you?

Let's not play stupid here. We all learn English in school, because it's the common language once you cross the borders of your national state. That makes it easier for English native speakers (which could be considered unfair, yes), but it doesn't change the fact that we need to communicate somehow and English is far easier to learn than Russian or German.

I understand it if people don't speak it well enough, but at least say something like "no English, sorry" and give the people a decent reply. Answering a polite question with "nope" or just refusing to say anything at all is rude, regardless of nationality.

Lol.

1) Diffusion
    2) Simplified grammar.

It's not a matter of what's easier for <insert language> native, but rather what's easier for most of the people.

Thinking "It's easier for them to do this, than that, therefore I should conform" is not going to get you anywhere in life.

For an English speaker is easier to learn Bokmål, does that mean is easy for a French speaker too ? No, it's not.

I can understand someone playing a Korean MMO, but ESO is not. You have a right to expect people to speak the same language recognized almost universally as the one to use to communicate in this context. Your brain is predicting that pattern. When it doesn't happen you have a conflict between what you expect and what actually happen, so your brain tries to make sense of it.

While it's not considered rude to not being able to converse in English, it is perceived as rude to exclude people from a conversation.

But accusing the OP (or anyone) of xenophobia for expecting others to know it is pure lunacy. At best just naivety.

What is lost to most native English speakers is that non-native English speakers made an effort to learn a language that would allow them to communicate with other people, therefore it's just human to expect the same effort be made by other people.

I make an effort to extend this courtesy to you, therefore I expect you to do the same.

Diffusion?
    People in many countries don't get exposed to any English beyond some pop songs.

Simplidfied grammar?
    Hah, that's a good one. Many people see the lack of conjugations, inflections and genders and automatically think that equals "simplified grammar".
    Well, try explaining why "the bad blue big bird" is wrong, or when to use "the" or "a", or why English needs 3 non-finite verb forms that are used randomly (be/to be/being) or the madness phrasal verbs. Don't even get me started on the spelling, it looks like something devised by a joint effort between Molag Bal and Sheoggorath.

Also, if we go with what's easier for most of the people, we should be using Esperanto in-game.

Eble ĝi malbona ideo ne estas!
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since when demanding people speak your preferred language is "common courtesy"?
    Also if I'm in a PUG in the group finder, I prefer people to keep the group chat in English.
    (...) asking people to be just a little considerate towards other people (...)

This is why I'm so fed up with people and their strawmen arguments.

I specifically write about what I prefer, and what I consider considerate behaviour, and then instantly people crawl down from their trees and hammer away that "hurr durr, you can't enforce other people, hurr durr, you are not entitled to anything".

Also, English isn't exactly "my preferred language", as much as it is the de facto "preferred language" of the entire Western World.

Edited by Carbonised on January 31, 2018 11:59AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I've seen this sort of thing on the PC/NA server, its in zone chat. Usually someone in posts a message in Spanish, and someone decides to be nasty with "Speak English!"

I don't know how politically charged telling someone to "Speak English" is on the PC/EU server, but on PC/NA that is politically and racially charged AF. Anyone on PC/NA pretending otherwise is the most naive innocent to ever be born or trolling.

You know what happens?

I remind people that PC/NA is North America, that Mexico and Canada are both, shockingly, parts of North America, and that means Spanish and French are both official state languages. Deal with it.

Then I start typing in zone chat in German. And if there's anyone in zone chat who knows other languages, they usually follow suit. Because on PC/NA, we know that annoys the sort of people who are politically inclined to tell someone else to "Speak English."

Even in a group dungeon setting, I'd be pretty polite about asking people if they spoke English on PC/NA because that's a pretty politically sensitive topics and I'm trying not to be a jerk. And if those hypothetical people I asked got annoyed or angry they'd been asked, well, I can't pretend that North America doesn't have a nasty history wrapped around being expected to speak English.

Like, this is an MMO. I can't even expect players to be polite enough to empty chests or not cherry-pick the crafting modes, much less polite enough to slot a taunt when they queue as tank or to not teabag opponents they didn't actually kill. Politeness isn't something you can force on another MMO player unless they are breaking the TOS, and then you report and hope the mods take care of the problem.

Speaking one language and not speaking another, even if they "rudely" refuse to speak another language, is not against the TOS on either PC/EU or PC/NA. So, deal with it.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Even if they did speak it (which probably wasn't the case), you are not entitled to change the language of a whole group
    The "common courtesy" imo is to act as part of the group once you voluntarily joined that group. Part of that is being able to communicate with the group - or at the very least warning the group of your inability to do so.

I once had a healer in vet WGT. They weren't bad per se but they were obviously inexperienced with the place. They had no idea about Planar Inhibitor mechanics - wouldn't close pinion, wouldn't close portals. The rest of the group was not bad so we almost made it a few times but still didn't because every time healer'd get portals it was a wipe. It didn't help that healer never ressed, at all. We tried to explain mechanics(in English). We repeatedly called out their name asking if they understood us - they never answered. I even tried to trade them and give them soulgems in case they simply didn't have any - they declined. We gave up and kicked them and THEN in /say they said "sorry I don't speak English". Well no &^#* dude, you don't. Why didn't you say so at the start? Why didn't you say so half an hour ago when we called your name like 35 times? Surely you saw your name being mentioned, right? Surely you figured something must be off that we've been wiping for half an hour or more?

Having respect for other languages and cultures is wonderful, but how about having some respect for fellow groupmembers as well? Here we are, repeatedly outlining the strat and even offering you soulgems and you, the reason we are wiping, can't even be ef'd to tell us you don't actually understand us. This drives me absolutely mad, moreso as a NON native English speaker.
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    report them, they should be banned

Read my post again: it isn't about their language, but that actually very well understand English, but chose to not use English when they are looking form 3d or 4th person to join up through GT.

So far in the 12 years I play MMO's online every single russian I encountered refuses to speak english in any degree. And in WoW-pvp they cheat the crap out of the game. So they dont have to count on love from my side again.

I speak English in ESO. So if you and me have been in a group at least once, then I must admit that you lie saying every single Russian you encountered refuses to speak English.
    So, should I say now that every single English speaker I encountered is a liar?
    Edited by Ermiq on January 31, 2018 12:12PM
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • Golevan
    Golevan
    ✭✭✭
    Eremith wrote: »

Read my post again: it isn't about their language, but that actually very well understand English, but chose to not use English when they are looking form 3d or 4th person to join up through GT.

So far in the 12 years I play MMO's online every single russian I encountered refuses to speak english in any degree. And in WoW-pvp they cheat the crap out of the game. So they dont have to count on love from my side again.

I speak English in ESO. So if you and me have been in a group at least once, then I must admit that you lie saying every single Russian you encountered refuses to speak English.

:D
    I'm from Belarus
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Golevan wrote: »
    People
    you of what?
    imperial ambitions?
    Why English better than French or German? Or Russian...
    French - beautiful, German - confident and strong.
    Russian and melodious and strong :)
    Each language has its own beauty
    But making one language is better than another, it's bad
    Tolerance must be and people will reach out to you

my English is disgusting :)))

It may be disgusting, but at least I can understand what you're trying to say, and respect the effort you're making.

That's the important bit, and also what's lost on most people here.

Lol.

1) Diffusion
    2) Simplified grammar.

But accusing the OP (or anyone) of xenophobia for expecting others to know it is pure lunacy. At best just naivety.

Diffusion?
    People in many countries don't get exposed to any English beyond some pop songs.

Simplidfied grammar?
    Hah, that's a good one. Many people see the lack of conjugations, inflections and genders and automatically think that equals "simplified grammar".
    Well, try explaining why "the bad blue big bird" is wrong, or when to use "the" or "a", or why English needs 3 non-finite verb forms that are used randomly (be/to be/being) or the madness phrasal verbs. Don't even get me started on the spelling, it looks like something devised by a joint effort between Molag Bal and Sheoggorath.

Also, if we go with what's easier for most of the people, we should be using Esperanto in-game.

Eble ĝi malbona ideo ne estas!

And Stadtverordnetenversammlungen is easier ? Are you out of your mind ?

Many countries don't get exposed to German as well, but it's safer to assume that someone will speak English than German.

English is spoken natively in, what, 60 sovereign countries, 70 ? spoken by, what, 600 million people all over the world ?

By comparison 1 billion people speak Mandarin Chinese, but that only happens in China.

If you go on a business trip outside your country you can have a fairly decent expectation that the business will be conducted in English, and there will be at least an English interpreter.

It all depends on your goal, if your goal is to communicate effectively, you use English, if it fails you go with Spanish, then German, then French. If your goal is to communicate with someone you know doesn't speak your native language.

How many people can speak Esperanto ? 1 million people ?

Yeah, sure, effective.

Edited by Aisle9 on January 31, 2018 1:19PM

#SpellswordArmy

• logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just perfect! One couldn't have said it better. :D

EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@Carbonised
    Давайте попробуем.
    Мне намного комфортнее общаться на русском, и если в группе есть русскоговорящие игроки, я буду говорить с ними на русском, потому что так проще, и так мы сможем намного эффективнее обмениваться опытом и замечаниями по тактике прохождения данжа. Я не вижу смысла пытаться говорить с ними на ломанном английском только потому, что кто-то не знает русского.
    Я естественно не стану отвечать "nope" и не буду игнорировать англоговорящего игрока, в этом те ребята не правы, согласен целиком и полностью. Но и автор темы не прав, заявляя, что ему не нравится кириллица, а значит все должны говорить на английском или другом языке с латинским алфавитом. Ведь он говорил именно о русском языке. Почему не о немцах, говорящих на немецком? Не о французах и французском? Автор не доволен именно русским языком. Это нормально?
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its rather interesting to watch a whole bunch of people argue that group dungeons are so difficult that its only polite that everyone make an effort to speak the same language, when most of the time, people are arguing that group dungeons are so easy, you don't need a tank, or a healer, or anything other than decent DPS.

Its interesting.
  • Carbonised
    Carbonised
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its rather interesting to watch a whole bunch of people argue that group dungeons are so difficult that its only polite that everyone make an effort to speak the same language, when most of the time, people are arguing that group dungeons are so easy, you don't need a tank, or a healer, or anything other than decent DPS.

Its interesting.

Vet dungs can be hard when you're PUGing them with completely clueless people who have no idea about mechanics. I don't think anyone disagrees on that I even made a recent thread about my negative experiences as a tank in PUGs. Even yesterday, we had to abandon Banished II due to super low DPS and people not knowing any mechanics.

In these cases it is especially important with communication, whereas you can pretty much do any vet dung in complete silence, as long as every group member does their job and is experienced.

You should know by now, and you probably do, that grouping with experienced players with good DPS and knowledge of mechanics is playing a completely different game than grouping with clueless super low DPS players in a PUG.
    I don't know how that can come off as either interesting or suprising?

@Eremith
    Cheers, now we just need to wait for the mods to clock in for work, we're still on EU time.

Edited by Carbonised on January 31, 2018 12:59PM
  • RobbieRocket
    RobbieRocket
    ✭✭✭
    When I've seen this sort of thing on the PC/NA server, its in zone chat. Usually someone in posts a message in Spanish, and someone decides to be nasty with "Speak English!"

I don't know how politically charged telling someone to "Speak English" is on the PC/EU server, but on PC/NA that is politically and racially charged AF. Anyone on PC/NA pretending otherwise is the most naive innocent to ever be born or trolling.

You know what happens?

I remind people that PC/NA is North America, that Mexico and Canada are both, shockingly, parts of North America, and that means Spanish and French are both official state languages. Deal with it.

Then I start typing in zone chat in German. And if there's anyone in zone chat who knows other languages, they usually follow suit. Because on PC/NA, we know that annoys the sort of people who are politically inclined to tell someone else to "Speak English."

Even in a group dungeon setting, I'd be pretty polite about asking people if they spoke English on PC/NA because that's a pretty politically sensitive topics and I'm trying not to be a jerk. And if those hypothetical people I asked got annoyed or angry they'd been asked, well, I can't pretend that North America doesn't have a nasty history wrapped around being expected to speak English.

Like, this is an MMO. I can't even expect players to be polite enough to empty chests or not cherry-pick the crafting modes, much less polite enough to slot a taunt when they queue as tank or to not teabag opponents they didn't actually kill. Politeness isn't something you can force on another MMO player unless they are breaking the TOS, and then you report and hope the mods take care of the problem.

Speaking one language and not speaking another, even if they "rudely" refuse to speak another language, is not against the TOS on either PC/EU or PC/NA. So, deal with it.

Interestingly, there are no official languages of the U.S.A. so French and Spanish are the only official languages of North America.... (except that the Caribbean and Central America are also a part of the continent of North America and via Jamaica as well as several other island nations, English is an official language).
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    logarifmik wrote: »

This is just perfect! One couldn't have said it better. :D

but then you are making the assumtion you know EVERY russian speaker isn't a jackass.
    both of you are right and wrong.
    but the main point is not everyone is the same nor should you assume from THEIR point of view, after all the guy said every russian HE has encountered.
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• Pastas
    Pastas
    ✭✭✭

So if a person who can't speak English joins a group with 3 English players they should be expected to not speak in chat? Or should everyone in the world learn to speak English fluently?

You don't need to learn to speak English fluently, but we live in a day and age where it's kind of expected you have a basic grasp of a language different from your own, especially a simple one like English.

Just saying

Generally I will consider it rude to spam or troll in your native language. EU server is often plagued by this, people having private conversations in zone chat in Russian (or sometimes German or French, other languages too), that could easily have been made in whisper.

There is no official language for zone chat.

There is a french and german zone chat, tho, and English is kind of universally recognized as the language to communicate if you're not sure what the native language is.

It is fun how some english spaekers asume that everybody esle have to learn their language.

Edited by Pastas on January 31, 2018 1:12PM
    WARNING
    This post may Include horrible gramatical and orthographic errors
    Read on your own risk
    AD
    Dar'foo Stamblade Zorg-gro-Wurf DK tank Far-Datxo Templar healer Valmir Spellius Magsorc
    Randolf Omberic Magblade Felien Golas Magdk Faenor Oakwood Stamplar Sader Dustorm Stamsorc
    EP
    Do'Ragash Stamdk Caius Grachus Stamden Dalyne Narus Magplar
    DC
    Melkar Spellius Magden
    PC EU
This discussion has been closed.