The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Russian (Cyrillic) in group tool (PUG) dungeon

RexyCat
RexyCat
✭✭✭✭
Lately there are more and more Russian speaking when I finally get a random dungeon for my pledges through Group Tool. I asked if they could use English instead and they refused with a "nope". Is there some rules for what language people are allowed to use when using group tool to form a group?

Should those people be reported or just ignored? Problem is that once one group tool group one with those people it is very likely on will be grouped with those again next time one try to use group tool.

I have nothing against Russian people as long as they use a language one can understand like English and in Latin alphabet.
Edited by RexyCat on January 30, 2018 10:56PM
  • ClockworkCityBugs
    ClockworkCityBugs
    ✭✭✭
    report them, they should be banned
  • Berenhir
    Berenhir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reported for being Russian. Made my day.
    PC EU - Ebonheart Pact - Gray Host - Death Recap -#zergfarming -
  • MasterLenman
    MasterLenman
    ✭✭✭✭
    Some people don't use the chat at all in random groups, they are completely silent. So if you want to start punishing people for communicating in different languages, what would you do to the silent ones?
  • Grey_Wanderer
    Grey_Wanderer
    ✭✭✭
    Some people don't use the chat at all in random groups, they are completely silent. So if you want to start punishing people for communicating in different languages, what would you do to the silent ones?

Make sure they're not being quiet in Russian. If they are, report.

If not, carry on.
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭

They weren't silent. Getting thrown into a dungeon midway where people communicate with Cyrillic signs is not very fun.
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's a rule of what language players can speak in game to each other. I think this is more of an issue with etiquette. If these russian players can speak english with you but won't, they're being pretty rude and at the very least making the group experience more difficult. If the group can't all communicate, then the group as a whole is more likely to have problems obviously.

Unfortunately I think the only good option is to have to deal with not being able to communicate with them

edit- I'm on EU so I get the different language thing a lot, so I always try to speak in short, simple, and very clear sentences (in english). I can speak two other languages, so if a player says they speak either of them better, I will also explain in the other languages
    Edited by emilyhyoyeon on January 30, 2018 11:03PM
    IGN @ emilypumpkin
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • RexyCat
    RexyCat
    ✭✭✭✭

Read my post again: it isn't about their language, but that actually very well understand English, but chose to not use English when they are looking form 3d or 4th person to join up through GT.
  • ForsakenSin
    ForsakenSin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in-soviet-russia-video-games-play-you.jpg
    "By many i am seen as hero...as a savior of the Tamriel i will not stop until every Daedra every evil there is in Tamriel is vanquish by my hands..
    However i do this for my own purpose to gain trust of mortals to worship me and to eliminate my competition i will not bend my knee to lead your army to serve you Molag Bal , i will simply just take it from you.."--- Forsaken Sin( Magica Sorc)

Arise From Darkness Forsaken SIn
    "You have been a loyal High Elf Magica Sorc
    Conjure of Darkness, Master of Magic
    Killer of Molag Bal and Savior of Ebonheart Pact
    Until Dark Brotherhood killed you...
    but now..NOW its time to Arise From Darkness once again..."

• SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RexyCat wrote: »
    ... as long as they use a language one can understand like English and in Latin alphabet ...

Na sach mal, was ist das denn für ein blöder Kommentar? Sprachenzensur in einem weltweiten Videospiel?
    screwy.gif
  • Claire
    Claire
    ✭✭✭
    You need DPS?

Vladimir.jpg
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Berenhir wrote: »
    Reported for being Russian. Made my day.
    This, on the other hand if you need to communicate and group does not you might drop out.
    nDS2, is an dungeon I don't want to do with an group who don't communicate, no its not needed if group is good or show they know it well. Had an group with an 11K member I told him "food" multiple times, no reply so I simply left even if he did not die.
    Group dps was pretty weak for an +45 dungeon, last boss you need to keep together, I hope they got an fake healer as replacement :)
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think OP should be reported for refusing to learn Russian.

That would make at least as much sense as reporting others for using their mother tongue.
    Edited by Leandor on January 30, 2018 11:29PM
  • MasterLenman
    MasterLenman
    ✭✭✭✭

They weren't silent. Getting thrown into a dungeon midway where people communicate with Cyrillic signs is not very fun.

I understood that, but I wanted you to consider this:
    What if you get into a dungeon and people don't talk at all? They just don't react. Is that better or worse?

Also, being able to say "nope" when asked to speak English doesn't imply one is fluent in the language.
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take it you’re playing on the EU server? Of course you’re going to hear Eastern Europeans. No there is no need to report that’s quite pathetic, they can choose to speak in any language they want too. Learn Russian if it’s a big deal.
    I hope someone at ZOS takes this inconsiderate bs down.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you seriously asking if players should be reported for using their language, just because it is different from your own? It doesn't matter if you don't understand them, it doesn't matter if it "wasn't fun" for you.

Random groups = random outcomes. Sometimes this will mean foreign (to you) language. I have grouped with people speaking/typing French, Portuguese (both of which I understand), Japanese, Korean (both of which I do not), l33t and "bro-speak", and people who openly state they do not speak English as their first language, asking forgiveness (not needed) for not doing so well. All of these things are ok, and part of a global player base.

Most pugs don't communicate at all aside from "hi" at the start and "thanks" at the end. No one is required so speak your language, or at all.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The most part of Russians I've met in random groups can't speak/write in English well enough. Yeah, they probably could understand what you're saying but they can't write everything in English because of you. They are 2 or 3 speaking to each other explaining tactics or anything else, and it's better than if they were trying to be polite speaking in language they don't know, don't you think? (But on the other side, I've met a lot of rude Russians. There's many of them. Everytime I see them writing vulgarian language or refusing to speak English so everybody would understand what they're talking about I feel a shame for my people.)

But, as other people said, there're silent players. Oh god, they're worse. Much worse. This feeling when I'm trying to say silent tank to pull Selene in the corner because DPS is too low and there's too many ads. Or when I say someone to eat some food and get no response at all. Seems like those guys don't know there's a chat window in the game.
    I really would prefer Germans or Chinese players speaking in their language in a group chat (it doesn't matter if I don't understand). You see them speaking, and it's way better than dead silence in the chat, believe me.
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • Inarre
    Inarre
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your statement makes no sense. You have nothing against Russian people so long as they don't speak Russian... So. You have something against Russian people...?

Zos can't ban someone for speaking a different language from you any more than they can ban you for speaking English in a group of Japanese people. In fact it's against the law in almost every country. It's called discrimination and most countries have bills, charters and acts that were passed mostly no later than 1980s.
    Edited by Inarre on January 31, 2018 12:18AM
  • Sengra
    Sengra
    ✭✭✭
    Inarre wrote: »
    Your statement makes no sense. You have nothing against Russian people so long as they don't speak Russian... So. You have something against Russian people...?

I knew Russians who spoke fluent German and English, it's not like they don't go to school, you know (and the game is not for twelve-year-olds so everybody should have learned some basic English by then). If I'm not in a group of people who speak my own language I switch to English, it's just a matter of politeness and common sense.

• Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    poor discussion on a poor theme
    shamefull
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what about German guys who write in German? Report them too? No? Double standards, right? German yes, Russian no!

Shame on you guys...
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the reasons I'm glad I'm not on the EU server. Language can be a barrier to communication. If the Russian players can speak English, but someone else in the group cannot speak Russian, then them choosing not to help OP out by speaking English is rude, verging on arrogant. There's already enough rudeness in dungeons without people purposely isolating someone if they could simply speak English. The "nope" response was rude.
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just ignore, and if you want to do decent vet content, dont PUG. Done
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Read my post again: it isn't about their language, but that actually very well understand English, but chose to not use English when they are looking form 3d or 4th person to join up through GT.

So far in the 12 years I play MMO's online every single russian I encountered refuses to speak english in any degree. And in WoW-pvp they cheat the crap out of the game. So they dont have to count on love from my side again.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »
    every single russian I encountered refuses to speak english in any degree
    bs. Especially for ESO. This game doesn't have an official Russian localization, so most of RU players know at least basic English.
    Edited by mocap on January 31, 2018 9:48AM
  • ssorgatem
    ssorgatem
    ✭✭✭✭
    They should report you for not speaking Russian.

Seriously, if they all speak Russian and not English, why should they cater to you?
    Why wouldn't you just speak Russian to them?

You find that an unreasonable request?

Well, it's the same for them with English.

Not all ESO players are English speakers.

I myself ejoy it when I have to be the interpreter between French, German and Spanish members of a PUG.

I've also met Greeks, Serbians, Hungarians and even Italians, but except for the latter, I'm not fluent enough in those languages to communicate effectively...
  • Aisle9
    Aisle9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ssorgatem wrote: »
    They should report you for not speaking Russian.

Seriously, if they all speak Russian and not English, why should they cater to you?

I myself ejoy it when I have to be the interpreter between French, German and Spanish members of a PUG.

I've also met Greeks, Serbians, Hungarians and even Italians, but except for the latter, I'm not fluent enough in those languages to communicate effectively...

You can't speak Italian... reported!
    Artemis Absinthe - DC magicka nightblade (PC - EU)
    Gruzosh Barrelsmasher - DC stamina sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Kew'bacca - AD stamina nightblade (PC - EU)
    Jebediah Orbrynn - DC magicka templar (PC - EU)
    Hold-Many-Bags - Mule DK, Promoted to main tank, occasionally stamDD
    Olaf Proudstache - Mule - No longer with us Now a Stamwarden healer
    Aglieglie Brazorf - AD magicka sorcerer (PC - EU)
    Rodolfo Lavandino - DC stamina, greatsword wielding, Jesus beam spamming, Redguard hybrid templar just a stamplar again (PC - EU)
    Lemmy Raise Master - EP stamina necromancer (PC - EU)

Scions of Dawn recruitment ad - PC EU multifaction PvE endgame raiding guild

LUI user - I can see you when you fap loot.

#SpellswordArmy
    #MakeSpellswordsGreatAgain

In the Game of PuGs you win or you ragequit

"Dip dip potato chip, dip dip potato chip"
  • Golevan
    Golevan
    ✭✭✭
    The game has a lot of citizens of the Russian Federation ...
    But there are also Russians - residents of the former USSR
    they both speak Russian .... they are not distinguishable
    This is different people!
    If the first - bullies and louts (in the majority)
    then the second - ordinary people, polite and modest :)

I'm from Belarus, but I'm Russian
    And in the game all my nicknames begin with "Belarus-"
    that would at least somehow differ from players from the Russian Federation

Or yes ... my English is bad :)
    But because of this, do genocide ???
    Have Fear God

Sorry for the clumsy syllable
    I'm from Belarus
  • Sengra
    Sengra
    ✭✭✭
    ssorgatem wrote: »

Let's not play stupid here. We all learn English in school, because it's the common language once you cross the borders of your national state. That makes it easier for English native speakers (which could be considered unfair, yes), but it doesn't change the fact that we need to communicate somehow and English is far easier to learn than Russian or German.

I understand it if people don't speak it well enough, but at least say something like "no English, sorry" and give the people a decent reply. Answering a polite question with "nope" or just refusing to say anything at all is rude, regardless of nationality.

• logarifmik
    logarifmik
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once upon a time I found myself in a random veteran dungeon with three French players. They spoke only French and ignored me. I don't know French, alright? Should I report them, because of that? I don't think so. We done a dungeon without any problem. Was I offended/annoyed somehow? Of course not. Why should I? Think about it like that, 75% of the group understands each other and can develop some sort of tactic to beat the dungeon. And you can adapt without even understanding single word you mates speaking, especially if you already aware of the dungeon mechanics. Not so bad after all, right? If it just foreign alphabet annoys you, well... I can't say that I see your point here either.
    And yeah, I'm Russian, by the way. Good day, comrade. :)
    EU PC: @logarifmik | Languages: Русский, English
    Dimitri Frernis | Breton Sorcerer | Damage Dealer | Daggerfall Covenant
    Scales-of-Ice | Argonian Warden | Tank / Healer | Daggerfall Covenant
  • Chaos2088
    Chaos2088
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is Europe, there are plenty of languages that you can see in chat and when in groups.

I am British, I speak a number of languages and brutal honestly if someone doesn't want to speak English...

......they don't have to. If they start flaming with a crud load in chat.....let them. Hey they might not know any English.

If it bothers you that you cannot fully communicate then leave the group. I just get by kinda thinking what they meant...and 50/50 works out. lol

@Chaos2088 PC EU Server | AD-PvP
This discussion has been closed.