Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

First home? (Requesting recommendations thread)

tinythinker
tinythinker
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
I might -- might -- be considering getting a house in ESO now that storage and (and likely other new features in the future) are coming in soon.

But I have no idea where to start.

I have a small army of Argonians and a mix of cool characters from other races, but whatever.

How did you choose your house(s)? What do you like about it (them)? Pros and cons of each in your estimation?

And how much of a pain is it to keep up with? I'm a lousy decorator. Can I ask others with plans and crafting for housewarming gifts or is it mostly DIY projects?
Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
(And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • Aliyavana
    Aliyavana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amaya lake lodge, nice yard space and inside as well. You can put your argonian characters as slaves as an argonian owning a dunmer home is wrong
  • vanillexhope
    vanillexhope
    ✭✭✭
    I just bought Twin Arches... I have very little money and used the crown sale to justify it. I didn't want to be overwhelmed with decorating, especially with my limited funds anyway. So I didn't want some huge estate that would remain mostly empty. I really wanted something cozy and also useful -- I'd like to put crafting stations there and anything else that's useful.

I think Twin Arches has an amazing layout for the smaller sized plots. I looked at every one of them. I love how I can have a tiny garden to decorate, without it being huge. And the inside is just such a nice layout IMHO.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aliyavana wrote: »
    Amaya lake lodge, nice yard space and inside as well. You can put your argonian characters as slaves as an argonian owning a dunmer home is wrong

I dunno, putting a bunch of mud-dob stuff and simple pottery and ornate tribal weavings all over the place would be kind of cool. Maybe a dark elf servant in the yard.

Wait, wait, are Hist trees a thing yet for home decor?
    Experienced, new, returner? Help keep ESO's community strong ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ -- share what you love about the game, offer constructive feedback, and make friends.ʕ·ᴥ·ʔ

Who are you in Tamriel (whether it's just your character's attitude & style or a full backstory)? - Share your Character's Story! ◔ ⌣ ◔
    (And let us know 🔷What Kind of Roleplayer You Are🔷 - even if that only extends to choosing your race)

Support Mudcrab Mode for ESO (\/)!_!(\/) - part joke, part serious, all glorious! You butter be ready for this
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I always consider style and cost effectiveness in terms of space. The small reguard house for example is around the same gold price as the small khajiit house but has way more space. The small homes with outdoor space always feel like a steal
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO - black vine Villa or Autumn's gate are the best value for the gold. Twin arches is also very nice and spacious, but deserty and the most expensive small house out of all the small houses.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an enormous letdown if you don't have ESO+. The unfurnished house has 70 slots used already, leaving 230 for a mansion. I wish I could have my 1.3 million back.

To the OP, do you have ESO plus? It's a big factor in the recommendation for me.
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are Mostly EP there are some options in Deshaan. I know having the Gardner House is nice for a DC toon, as it puts you real close to the master writ drop off and you are in the Big city. Granted it is over 1 million for that house. But with coming storage it my be more palatable to pay that.
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • uzbachchi
    uzbachchi
    ✭✭✭
    Autumn's Gate, Twin Arches or Cyrodilic Jungle House are the three I recommend on the lower end of the scale.

Best bang for buck size wise & location wise IMO is Sleek Creek in Rawl'kha but that's a standard home and is much more pricey than a starter home is.
  • Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    Firstly if storage is your reason to buy - WAIT!

Wait for the storage update to determine what type of storage it is - it will help you with your decision.... in the meantime take your time and look at them all - everyone has their own favorites.

Think about what is important to you:

Location, Race or style, big indoors, big outdoors, storage, price, etc

EDIT: formatting
    Edited by Imza on December 23, 2017 12:52AM
  • Froil
    Froil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Twin Arches was my first home.

It's the largest of the smallest houses; it has a lovely exterior desert garden and a small patio and a very spacious interior. Buy some of the largest floor planks to make faux walls if you want to. It can be comfortably decorated with the base 100 furniture slots; with ESO+, you can make it feel full and lush with the 200 furniture slots.
    "Best" healer PC/NA
  • badmojo
    badmojo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also went with Twin Arches as my first home. Mostly because my first character was redguard, but also because of the small yard and decent sized interior. It's well worth the price. I barely ever go there since buying Strident Springs, but I still like it, my master angler boat looks great sitting on the sand in the yard.
    [DC/NA]
  • Nightfall12
    Nightfall12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    uzbachchi wrote: »
    Autumn's Gate, Twin Arches or Cyrodilic Jungle House are the three I recommend on the lower end of the scale.

Best bang for buck size wise & location wise IMO is Sleek Creek in Rawl'kha but that's a standard home and is much more pricey than a starter home is.

Plus sleek creek has quick access to an outlaw refuge so its a great way to quickly launder something you CANT afford to have taken by guards. Just travel to home hop out the front gate and the backdoor to the Rawl'ka refuge is pretty much right there.
    Ummm stuff… about stuff…or something.
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is an enormous letdown if you don't have ESO+. The unfurnished house has 70 slots used already, leaving 230 for a mansion. I wish I could have my 1.3 million back.

To the OP, do you have ESO plus? It's a big factor in the recommendation for me.

Yup
    Imza wrote: »
    Firstly if storage is your reason to buy - WAIT!

Wait for the storage update to determine what type of storage it is - it will help you with your decision.... in the meantime take your time and look at them all - everyone has their own favorites.

Think about what is important to you:

Location, Race or style, big indoors, big outdoors, storage, price, etc

EDIT: formatting

Yeah not sure what will matter to me. Trying to get a sense of the market.

• Rainraven
    Rainraven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Location: near a city you like, a wayshrine, or out in the boonies?

And then the space: do you want a yard? Do you have a preference about the outdoor climate and aesthetic? Indoors do you like a lot of nooks and crannies or are open spaces better? Some of the original houses are really dark inside, and that's an instant no-go for me regardless of any other features. Then how much space do you want? Are you going to add all the crafting tables and have assistants standing around?

Yeah, I have thought about this way too much. :D

Anyway, from my own adventures and the houses of friends, these are the ones I like most.

Small: Cyrodilic Jungle House in Malabal Tor, Autumn's Gate in The Rift, Twin Arches in Bangkorai
    Medium: Velothi Harbour House in Vvardenfell, Bouldertree Refuge in Greenshade, House of the Silent Magnifico in Alik'r, Domus Phrasticus in Craglorn
    Large: Hundig's Palatial Hall in Stros M'kai
    Ridic: Orbservatory Prior in CWC, Daggerfall Overlook, Ebonheart Chateau

It's not that hard to keep up with, and kind of fun to mess around with when you're feeling burned out or antisocial. I hope you enjoy it. :)
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PC/NA, I own the Hunding's Palatial Hall. Gorgeous beachside property, large outdoor space, and I really love that terrace overlooking the sea. And it costs less than 1.3m. I think it's better than the 3m manors, and it's the reason I haven't bought any of the manors.

On PC/EU, I own the Cyrodilic Jungle House. Since it's not my home server, I was on a very tight budget, and this house was the best bang for the buck. The interior is a nice size--small enough to be manageable, big enough to not be crowded. But my favorite is the outside--it has the biggest yard of all the homes in that price range, so there is much that you can do with it. And as a bonus, there's a wayshrine right outside the door.

I love both houses. My NA house is barren--just crafting stations and trophies--because it's so large that decorating it is overwhelming. But I can't get enough of the atmosphere and just how relaxing it is.

I adore my EU house in part because it's the perfect size, and I spent way too many hours decorating and perfecting it. I really think that for entry-budget homes, the jungle house is the best. The downside, though, is the dreary weather. It's raining half the time.

Honorable mention would be Ravenhurst, if you want something in between these two sizes. But these are by far my two favorite homes.

Oh, and some month-old screenshots of my Cyrodilic Jungle House on EU:
    Screenshot_20171111_103439.pngScreenshot_20171111_103601.pngScreenshot_20171111_103636.pngScreenshot_20171104_152447.pngScreenshot_20171111_103624.pngScreenshot_20171111_104631.png

Also, if you are on PC/EU, feel free to visit my house using the following chat command:
    /script JumpToHouse("@code65536")

Edited by code65536 on December 23, 2017 1:41AM
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • swippy
    swippy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sounds like you're coming into this really not knowing much (no judgment, just observation) and that's where we all were too when we first got interested. because of how much is personal taste, i dunno how helpful we can be. but here's a try:

set aside a few hours and just preview EVERY available house. maybe start with a huge one like Daggerfall Overlook, a tiny one like the apartment in Skywatch, and then maybe the medium one in Rivenspire, just to appreciate the range of what's available. then see some of the more "themed" houses, like Snugpod might be a good example. check out the entire space unfurnished, and then switch it to the furnished preview to see what ideas the design team came up with. the furniture will also give an idea of how sparse it will look when you're done filling it yourself. i think the furnished ones have about 2/3 of the slots full, but i might be wrong on that.

there are a TON of houses, so take a notebook if you want. do you like how the entrances are arranged in the floor plan? is there a fireplace already, or a smart spot to build your own, or do you want to skip that? is there a garden or any outdoor space, and do you value that? how are the windows gonna work for you? are they going to allow enough light that you're not spending half your slots on lighting?

chances are, after you see a bunch of houses, there will be a few that jump out at you as great. make sure you check these ones out in daytime and at night. check out the neighborhood! some houses are in cities with crafting and banks nearby; some are in the wilderness but have room for your own crafting tables. how far to the nearest wayshrine?

it may be that you find a "dream house" as well as one you can afford right now. i think it's fair to say that the house itself is about a third of the price of the house curnished the way you want it, and that's if you're a crafter. if you're not, but you have really cool friends, you're in luck. lots of crafters are happy to get to use their hard-collected recipes more than 5 times, and some will only require mats and a promise that you'll invite them to see it once it's all set up. you can even give someone decorating permissions to set it up for you, if you don't trust your skill there.

also know that if you do get really into it, it can take a TON of time. i can spend 30 minutes just arranging a kitchen table and chairs without place settings. but then, every time i take a free teleport into my house i can appreciate the look and the effort and feel accomplished and at home.

i hope it was worth reading all that : )
  • tinythinker
    tinythinker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rainraven wrote: »
    when you're feeling burned out or antisocia
    That's me all of the time :tongue:

And while I don't reply to every comment I am carefully reading them all.

• MAEK
    MAEK
    ✭✭✭✭

Wait, wait, are Hist trees a thing yet for home decor?

@tinythinker I believe there is one availible at the Shadowfen achivment vendor :smile:
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mournoth in Bangkorai is a very nice medium sized home. I believe it was around 250,000 and has a nice yard area as well as a 2 story home. You can decorate it nicely with the 400 limit for subs, it doesn't look sparse. Also there is a convenient Wayshrine right outside the door.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • Lylith
    Lylith
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    uzbachchi wrote: »

sleek creek's location is one of the best, imho.

mournoth is a close second and has a dolmen and a wayshrine just out the gate.
  • ForgeMother
    ForgeMother
    ✭✭
    I went with the harbour house in Vvardenfell. It seemed like a steal for the size. The yard is huge and the inside actually has a couple of rooms which was important to me. Only thing I don't care for is the nearest wayshrine is a bit of a walk And the arched ceiling can make it a plain to place things sometimes
    Caaly - CP373 - Orc - Sorcerer - Tank
    Nikkithea - CP373 - Argonian - Dragonknight - Tank
  • Wolfchild07
    Wolfchild07
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    On PC/NA, I own the Hunding's Palatial Hall. Gorgeous beachside property, large outdoor space, and I really love that terrace overlooking the sea. And it costs less than 1.3m. I think it's better than the 3m manors, and it's the reason I haven't bought any of the manors.

On PC/EU, I own the Cyrodilic Jungle House. Since it's not my home server, I was on a very tight budget, and this house was the best bang for the buck. The interior is a nice size--small enough to be manageable, big enough to not be crowded. But my favorite is the outside--it has the biggest yard of all the homes in that price range, so there is much that you can do with it. And as a bonus, there's a wayshrine right outside the door.

I love both houses. My NA house is barren--just crafting stations and trophies--because it's so large that decorating it is overwhelming. But I can't get enough of the atmosphere and just how relaxing it is.

I adore my EU house in part because it's the perfect size, and I spent way too many hours decorating and perfecting it. I really think that for entry-budget homes, the jungle house is the best. The downside, though, is the dreary weather. It's raining half the time.

Honorable mention would be Ravenhurst, if you want something in between these two sizes. But these are by far my two favorite homes.

Oh, and some month-old screenshots of my Cyrodilic Jungle House on EU:
    Screenshot_20171111_103439.pngScreenshot_20171111_103601.pngScreenshot_20171111_103636.pngScreenshot_20171104_152447.pngScreenshot_20171111_103624.pngScreenshot_20171111_104631.png

Also, if you are on PC/EU, feel free to visit my house using the following chat command:
    /script JumpToHouse("@code65536")

I agree with Hunding's, you can do so much with that outdoor area. Even build out over the water.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snugpod in Grahtwood (near Elden Root) is really cheap and convenient to a lot of things. It's right in front of a stable, and close to a wayshrine. Also fairly near all crafting stations and a bank, and the Dominion Undaunted spot. The home's small and not real attactive, though.

Cliffshade in Greenshade (near Marbruk) is super nice. Not only is it a pretty house, but it's also close to a wayshrine and a fence, and close to a town that has a bank, all crafting stations, mage's and fighter's guilds. You can get to the fence from the house without going near any guards, which is convenient if you have a bounty and need to unload stuff. It's also fairly cheap. I think this one is considered a medium home.

Downside to both is that neither have yards.
    Edited by SydneyGrey on December 23, 2017 7:00AM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A house in this game is an investment, whether it's gold or crowns. (I bought all of my homes with crowns...)

First thing to decide. If you don't care about making this an achievement and one day owning every single House in the game, then just the single one that you are gonna have, by making sure it's the one you both can knowingly afford, AND really enjoy being in. For me it's the one in Rawl'kha. It's right next door to the town I park all my characters at, and it's Khajiiti themed with a garden and a water feature. I can show you images of what I've done with it if you want, but just go through and preview all the homes that interest you, and make sure you buy the one that speaks to you the most.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Quantum_Knight
    Quantum_Knight
    ✭✭✭
    Someone else already mentioned it, but I'm going to second it. Mournoth Keep is a great starter. It's located right near a wayshrine and a dolmen, a quick walk or ride to a town, and I think it give plenty of bang for the buck.

I have found that there's more real estate in that home than many others in it's price range (250k). It has a nice almost 50/50 split between interior and exterior, and if you're creative, there's room to expand on the house itself. (I made an outside forge and extended the deck on the second level into a patio with a stable area underneath.)

It's pretty plain, looks-wise, but you have a pretty decent amount of furnishing space (400 with ESO+) to make it look like your own.
  • CyborgPlatypus
    CyborgPlatypus
    ✭✭✭
    The velothi harbour house looks amazing and is quite cheap. I use ample domicile and tel Galen as my main houses as I like argonians and mushroom towers.
  • menedhyn
    menedhyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went for Humblemud as my first home.

The draw of an appropriate racial themed house for one of my Argonian characters is a factor, of course, but there were other reasons. It is comparatively cheap for a small home (about 40,000 gold if I remember correctly, which happened to be all I had at the time). The outdoor space to the rear is modest in size but there is enough to create a well-stocked garden or place to relax, if that is your thing. I'm converting mine to an outdoor workshop for my crafter. A few well-placed native fauna specimens can add so much to make it less 'industrial'.

The small size means that it isn't too difficult to add sufficient items to make it feel cosy. As a first home for a player with limited gold, a low-level crafter and limited time to play the game, furnishing Humblemud feels manageable.

The other reason is simply because I adore the mud construction set around a timber frame. I have a deep passion for earth structures and vernacular architecture in general (my job is fantastic in that regard) and I couldn't help but fall for the simple charm of the Argonian style.

It can take time to furnish your home, but in keeping with how I play the game generally, I am in no rush. I'm not great at furnishing either, but then I don't intend to replicate a modern house interior in what is clearly a tribal, functional home!
    'Pure rains make sweet rivers'
  • duendology
    duendology
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Go to the Crown Store and preview homes within your budget
    2. Choose the one you like the most.
    3. Preferably with the wayshrine nearby!

PC/NA
    - Redguard StamBlade dps ["bowtard" crafty girl who likes spinning with daggers too.]
    - Breton SorcMag dps [She's got an identity crisis, but I believe in her.]
    - Dunmer Templar dps/healer [she's a healer, then again she likes inferno staff too...]
    And..
    - High Elf SorcMag dps [It's quite possible his daddy was a Nord.]

I am an old-fashioned Goth
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Snugpod

All you ever need

Outlaw refugee close enough not to get caught.

Stables in front yard

Pledges, and master writ around corner.

City hub straight ahead

Merchant right by stable

There's also bard nearby
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with Forsaken Stronghold for a few reasons.
    First, and most importantly, the price at furnished wasn't bad at all, especially for its size. Second...speaking of its size, it's not too big that it feels overwhelming, but big enough to justify the price. At least, in my opinion.
    Last...it has that "castle feel" I was looking for. Stone walls, inner courtyard type thing.
    Maybe not the most home-like place, but if you are looking for something more medieval, this place works without breaking your bank.