The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Should Wayshrine Costs Be Removed?

• Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    Tandor wrote: »
    Turelus wrote: »
    Would be interested in more of the views on why people don't think it should be removed. Obviously my view on the matter is one sided so if people have thoughts I might not have considered.

I simply don't have a problem with the present system. I'm not in any guilds and don't travel to anyone, and only very rarely need to pay a nominal cost to travel to a wayshrine. For example, if I've completed a delve and want to exit it quickly without catching all the respawns on the way out then I just travel to one of my houses, which are mostly chosen for convenience of location as well as the attraction of the houses themselves. Besides, time is never an issue for me, I don't hop up and down demanding QoL changes if something takes me an extra moment or two (or costs a few pieces of gold) :wink: !

I tend to be opposed to most QoL changes each of which can easily be justified but the cumulative effect of which is to dumb the game down. It's fine as it is.

Why is it I tend to find you arguing against damn near everything? If it's dumbing the game down it's rich that you should be the one spearheading that complaint section considering you are a self professed 'casual'.

Eitherway, I dont think this is dumbing the game down bud. That's your paranoia talking.

Eitherway, I will be brutally honest, the fee is so easily circumvented it may as well not -be- there. So why bother having it?
    Options
  • Kevin_of_Devinshire
    Yes, remove the costs.
    Remove, As a 12 toon master crafter, collecting all the Surveys is annoying. I have actual started buying houses to get around it.
    Options
  • Illurian
    Illurian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    It's such a minor inconvenience that it doesn't matter if it's there or not. Removing the cost just means that our lives become slightly more convenient. Keeping it means it remains the same. The difference is so small that it really doesn't matter either way.

The people screaming that removing the cost will "dumb down the game" and cause the sky to fall are really reaching, however.
    Kiss the chaos.
    Options
  • Rickter
    Rickter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    Im surprised that the poll results are so close - thought people would jump at a chance for free world travel. i guess thats a reflection of our submissive society . . .
    RickterESO
    PC | NA | DC
    YouTube
    Bloodletter | StamDK | Alliance Rank 46 | Former Emperor of Shor (2018) | Former Emperor of Thornblade #4terms (2015)
    PvE:
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMA | vDSA | vMoL | ALL Vet 4 Man Dungeons

Options
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    Rickter wrote: »
    Im surprised that the poll results are so close - thought people would jump at a chance for free world travel. i guess thats a reflection of our submissive society . . .

IKR?

People have become so indoctinated into liking this game no matter what they will actively argue against they're own self interest. Take a look a the names and know these people have brainwashed themselves.
    Options
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other, my thoughts are...
    You think Bots are hard to remove now? You think there are a lot of Bots now? Just wait until they can travel at will at any time.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

Options
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    As you say, it’s just kind of silly at this point and more of an inconvenience than anything. Plus, there is enough of a grind in this game already, thousands of hours worth, being able to freely port to wayshrines would make small aspects of this grind feel a lot less chore like.
    Options
  • Doctordarkspawn
    Doctordarkspawn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    Nestor wrote: »
    You think Bots are hard to remove now? You think there are a lot of Bots now? Just wait until they can travel at will at any time.

All the more inclination for measures to remove them then.

I dont particularly see a downside.
    Options
  • kynseon
    kynseon
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    @pzschrek

YES... reason: Im broke
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Beaming out of your house should, probably, be free. Not sure the cost should be waved wholesale, but that one circumstance could do with a change, as it currently makes some houses vastly more, or less, desirable.
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the findings of the poll would be obvious since many would want more to be free.

However, it is common for MMOs to have gold sinks and ESO gold sinks are very small as well as few and far between. Armor repair is cheap and traveling to a wayshrine via the map is cheap.

Besides, one can always travel to a friend/guild mate/group member for free as well.

No issues with it.

Edit: as for leaving our homes, yes, there should not be a cost and especially since traveling to them automatically grants the debuff increasing the next travel not from a wayshrine. This is rather counter-intuitive to housing and is a poor design. My guess is it was just a detail overlooked by Zos in a rush to get housing out, however, for some reason they choose to not fix it and punish those who use their homes.
    Edited by idk on November 21, 2017 1:37PM
    Options
  • DeadlyRecluse
    DeadlyRecluse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    They aren't really functioning as a gold sink, everyone just works around them via "travel to" if they are at a high cost at that time.

They pretty much just gold sink newbies who don't know the "travel to" tricks or aren't in guilds, and for those doing the "travel to" workaround, they add a loadscreen into the mix (and we all looooove extra loadscreens).
    Thrice Empress, Forever Scrub
    Options
  • sudaki_eso
    sudaki_eso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about this...If i remember it correctly you pay 146g to fast travel to any wayshrine no matter where you are. Then it takes how long till the counter is down to 146g again? Maybe 5 Minutes? I dont know what you guys are doing in the meantime that you need to use a fast travel again after 5 minutes(?) and cant ride back to the wayshrine you just teleported to.
    Or in other words, it never bothered me that it costs a small amount and i rarely remember that i ever needed another fast travel right after i just did one fast travel.
    One of the best investment btw was to buy the room in the mournhold tavern - thats a free "wayshrine" from everywhere direclty into the heart of mournhold, 5/7 would recommend :wink:
    PS4 EU - StamDK
    Options
  • Storymaster
    Storymaster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    I voted yes for the following reasons.

I rarely ever run to a shrine in order to travel for free, always using my guilds to bypass the system.
    It's frustrating leaving houses located in isolated areas (without using the travel to player work around).
    The gold sink isn't required due to new bigger sinks (guild traders, luxury items vendor).
    It's a nice QoL change which saves time without destroying or unbalancing the game.
    I don't enjoy the zone nor find things on my exploration when going to a shrine.

Could not agree more, @Turelus

Character Profiles:
    Puck Tanglevine - Bosmer Nightblade
    Cyron Kane - Imperial Dragonknight (Retired)
    Options
  • Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, they should have costs.
    I would actually 100% even vote to increase the costs in some way, such as having all teleports cost gold, except that it would ruin all non-capital guild traders.
    Options
  • Tyrion87
    Tyrion87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    Hmm so as for now, at least 37% forum users don't want to have nice things.

If it was game/economy breaking, I would understand. But come on... It would be a nice QoL improvement. Who does not like such things?

Options
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    Urza1234 wrote: »
    I would actually 100% even vote to increase the costs in some way, such as having all teleports cost gold, except that it would ruin all non-capital guild traders.
    It would just frustrate people into playing less I would imagine. If you couldn't do any forms of fast travel without paying a fee.
    This also only punishes new players.

idk wrote: »
    I think the findings of the poll would be obvious since many would want more to be free.
    Which is why I find people say no interesting and would love to read more of their thoughts. I made the poll as open and unbiased as possible so we could see both sides.
    Beaming out of your house should, probably, be free. Not sure the cost should be waved wholesale, but that one circumstance could do with a change, as it currently makes some houses vastly more, or less, desirable.
    Even if costs were not removed this should happen. The Lake Lodge in Morrowind is horrible to leave, and if it wasn't for the work around with guilds I doubt I would use it.
    Nestor wrote: »
    Game designed and QoL should never be made around bots. You shouldn't be making your paying/playing customers lives worse because of those cheating.

@Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
    Options
  • monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    It's not needed. If you want to put something in its place..make a fourth riding skill that reduces costs until it's zero..that way new players still need to plan accordingly..or tie it to riding endurance.

Or as another mentioned..make a quest to obtain a portal crystal.

Options
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    I want an in-game event where for a week, all wayshrines and porting-to-players/houses are deactivated. Only in-game transportation (boats, silt striders, caravans) will still be functional.

It will be called the 'week of the scuttler'
    Edited by Spacemonkey on November 21, 2017 1:56PM
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Turelus I was not suggesting the poll was biased. Merely a significant portion of the population would want things free or lower cost.

Just recall the threads before the game launched wanting the game to be F2P and a significant number of the crown store complaints that things cost more than some want to pay for them.
    Options
  • monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    Tai-Chi wrote: »
    There are legitimate ways to get to every Wayshrine in Tamriel - be it travelling on foot, by horse & cart, on a boat or by another means. It does not take that long to do it just the once on a Char and for those who take the time, it will give a better insight and understanding of how Tamriel's transport system works.

Deducing from what I have seen and read, there appear to be far too many players who just want to reach endgame without putting in any effort or time. In some cases, these are the same people who need to be spoon-fed on everything and ask for everything to be made simpler and easier.

I used to taxi people to Wayshrines, but generally speaking, I do not any more and I have never asked for anyone to teleport me to one either.

As for the increased cost for subsequent Wayshrine use? Keep it in place, if it acts as a small deterrent.

For those who complain about the cost of travelling from one's home - that might be located in a remote place - I would say, get the Mara's Kiss Inn (free) room and port from any location to there. Vulkhel Guard Wayshrine is just opposite, when you step out through the door.

Contributing to @Turelus comments; here are two more for your repertoire.

"You may think that I sound harsh but I could not possibly comment" (House of Cards) but actually "We are here to help" (ASDA) to "make this Christmas special" (Marks & Spencer). o:)

You are misunderstanding..you would still need to unlock the way shrines.

The fee deters nothing in regards to people traveling to friends to unlock shrines
    Options
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    IMO transit to a shrine without using a shrine shouldn't even be possible.

Porting to a friend/guildmate is fine with me though as it's a necessary QoL boon.
    Edited by Solariken on November 21, 2017 1:59PM
    Options
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For houses it should be a feature...elsewhere we should pay price. This also slows down congestion and forces exploration while also building on perception it is a large world. Also not everyone has 10 million gold OP >.> In fact average play sits far below 1 million ...just those on forums tend to be richer. As such the cost still hurts...just not to us rich folks.
    Options
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not at all bothered by the cost. I imagine the increasing cost for consecutive jumps is to encourage exploration instead of just fast travel.

But I also wouldn't be bothered at all if the cost were removed. And the people likely to explore are going to whether or not there's a cost to fast travel.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    Options
  • ereboz
    ereboz
    ✭✭✭✭
    The cost should stay. The fast travel system in this game already completely eliminates exploration which is something elder scrolls is supposed to be known for. Mounts aren't even relevant when you can just travel to a shrine a few feet from your destination
    Options
  • Urza1234
    Urza1234
    ✭✭✭✭
    Urza1234 wrote: »
    It would just frustrate people into playing less I would imagine. If you couldn't do any forms of fast travel without paying a fee.
    This also only punishes new players.

W/E man, you have your bias, I have mine. Personally in my time I've seen simplifying travel and such game-ify the MMO experience. I have a lot of friends that stopped playing WoW for instance when dungeon finder became a thing, we liked the fact that you had to travel physically to the dungeon, sometimes deep into enemy territory, if you wanted to do that dungeon. It wasnt efficient, no, but playing games is not necessarily about being efficient. Some people, myself included, would like a deeper game experience where not every whim is gratified instantly.

Heck, I wouldnt mind an MMO where it took a full week of playing time to get from one major city to another, as long as the experience along the way was well crafted and enjoyable.

Now, admittedly, ESO is pretty damned game-ified already, its not set up for the kind of experience I'd like. It would have to be rebuilt from the ground up for travel to actually be interesting. However, you set up a poll, you asked for opinions and explanations, and then proceed to harass people when they share those points of view with you. I find that a bit disingenuous. You're not proving anything to ZOS by deconstructing the opinions of people who disagree. You've got my 2 cents for what its worth, but I'm not going to stick around and argue with you.
    Edited by Urza1234 on November 21, 2017 2:22PM
    Options
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    I want an in-game event where for a week, all wayshrines and porting-to-players/houses are deactivated. Only in-game transportation (boats, silt striders, caravans) will still be functional.

It will be called the 'week of the scuttler'

And that would be a week that the game would probably be empty as many would take a week long vacation from the game.

I have limited time to play as it is. The less of that time I am forced to play horse simulator, the better.

The 146 gold isn't that bad, its the huge increase after that I hate.

I would be fine with the cost being the same for every jump regardless of time in between for the rare instances I need to do that.

Most of the time I use travel to player or travel to a house near a wayshrine that I bought for that so that I don't pay anything.
    Edited by Katahdin on November 21, 2017 2:25PM
    Beta tester November 2013
    Options
  • monktoasty
    monktoasty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    ereboz wrote: »
    The cost should stay. The fast travel system in this game already completely eliminates exploration which is something elder scrolls is supposed to be known for. Mounts aren't even relevant when you can just travel to a shrine a few feet from your destination

Oh really ever heard of fast travel
    Options
  • Shawn_PT
    Shawn_PT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if the base cost of porting becomes 0 and it only starts costing while it's on the cooldown window?

Sorry if it's been suggested before, I haven't read the whole thread.

Personally my first house has been by far the most useful of them all. It has paid for itself many times over in shrine ports. I got Humblemud and it acts as a free wayshrine with bank, merchant, and all decon stations just a stone's throw from the door. Granted I have to go through 2 load screens, but on the positive side there's a ton of harvest nodes on the way down to the wayshrine.

As for specific spots, they're all exactly two load screens away as well. Just travel to any guild member/friend and you'll be placed at a shrine, which can immediately be used to travel wherever for free. Sometimes I end up in a delve by mistake, but that just means one more load screen. Free, would be a simple QoL improvement yes. But it's not something absolutely necessary since there's a reasonable workaround.

Also, if I have nobody to port to at the time and just want a 'free' port directly to a shrine, I use the Mara's kiss storage room as has been mentioned. Wayshrine is just outside the front door.
    Edited by Shawn_PT on November 21, 2017 2:37PM
    Options
  • Katahdin
    Katahdin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, remove the costs.
    ereboz wrote: »

I have played the game for 4 years, been to every corner of every map. How much exploration is there left in a map you've been to 100s of times?

Once the map has been discovered and uncovered fully, exploration is irrelevant.

Beta tester November 2013
    Options