Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do "Bloodmages" exist in Elder Scrolls?

Kierro
Kierro
✭✭✭
I know in many fantasies, they have a mage called a bloodmage. Take the Dragon Age series for example. I know it hasn't been touched much since Vampire Lords in Skyrim, but it could be said their "Health Drain" spell could be blood magic. However, could anyone learn blood magic (from a lore standpoint not just game)? I also ask, because I'm a RPer, and wanted to call my NB mage a bloodmage. Because the siphon spell looks very similar to the Vampire Lords health drain, as well bloodmage spells seen in Dragon Age.
  • KRBMMO
    KRBMMO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kierro wrote: »
    I know in many fantasies, they have a mage called a bloodmage. Take the Dragon Age series for example. I know it hasn't been touched much since Vampire Lords in Skyrim, but it could be said their "Health Drain" spell could be blood magic. However, could anyone learn blood magic (from a lore standpoint not just game)? I also ask, because I'm a RPer, and wanted to call my NB mage a bloodmage. Because the siphon spell looks very similar to the Vampire Lords health drain, as well bloodmage spells seen in Dragon Age.

It seems like NB is the closest thing to "Blood Mage" in ESO - but not literally "blood". More like the essence of the person (but not the soul, lol). Anyway, one skill line is "siphon" which begs the question: "What is siphoned?"
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you mean 'are there mages who use blood to fuel their magic', the answer is yes. The Maormer use it in the Khenarthi's Roost questline. :) If that's not what you mean please specify because I've never played Dragon Age.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    If you mean 'are there mages who use blood to fuel their magic', the answer is yes. The Maormer use it in the Khenarthi's Roost questline. :) If that's not what you mean please specify because I've never played Dragon Age.

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. In Dragon Age lore, a bloodmage uses their own, or someone else's blood, to power their spells. In itself, blood magic isn't evil, it's just how it's used. Blood magic does have a drawback, though. While not evil, the thrill of power becomes like a drug. Sometimes a bloodmage can kill themselves or others from using too much blood spells. This can also lead a mage down a darker path, because the mage is so taken by the power of blood magic they become murderous. Forcefully ripping the blood out of their victims. So because of these set backs, blood magic is banned.

Btw I highly recommend trying Dragon Age. Most will say the 1st one "Dragon Age: Origins" was the best, but be warned don't be expecting top notch graphics. The story though, was amazing. And thank-you for your replies.
    Edited by Kierro on November 4, 2017 5:03AM
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    KRBMMO wrote: »
    It seems like NB is the closest thing to "Blood Mage" in ESO - but not literally "blood". More like the essence of the person (but not the soul, lol). Anyway, one skill line is "siphon" which begs the question: "What is siphoned?"

Sorry, I used wrong name, it's the "Funnel of Health". Your PC throws out their hand and pulls red (blood) that HoT you and nearby players.
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For aspects of bloodmage I believe there is plenty of representation of blood magic styles but they can be mixed with vampires. But there is a lot that are just plain not related to one another so if anything I would have to say there is a lot of variations of blood magic in the elder scrolls lore... kind of like how many different types of alchemy ingredients there are.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    Armatesz wrote: »
    For aspects of bloodmage I believe there is plenty of representation of blood magic styles but they can be mixed with vampires. But there is a lot that are just plain not related to one another so if anything I would have to say there is a lot of variations of blood magic in the elder scrolls lore... kind of like how many different types of alchemy ingredients there are.

Thanks!
  • WuffyCerulei
    WuffyCerulei
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I honestly wanna believe sorcerers perform blood magic to an extant. Mainly due to that one of theit passives is legit called blood magic.
    For the love of Kyne, buff sorc. PC NACP 2100+Star-Sïnger - Khajiit Magicka Sorc - EP Grand Overlord - Flawless Conqueror vMA/vBRP/vDSA no death/vHel Ra HM/vAA HM/vSO HM/vMoL HM/vHoF HM/vAS +2/vCR+3/vSS HMs/vKA HMs/vVH/vRG Oax HM/vDSR
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    necromancy might also be considered a form of blood magic although I don't know the details of performing it
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In TES: Skyrim, you have the Alteration spell that transforms health into magicka, the closest this we see non-vampire characters get to using blood magic. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Equilibrium_(Skyrim)

Also in Skyrim through the Dawnguard questline, we do see vampires use forms of blood magic particularly for sealing and unsealing doors as well as cursing important magical artifacts.

TES Oblivion and Skyrim (I'm not as familiar with Morrowind enchantments) also had the ability to cast/enchant items or spells with absorb health effects, which the exact nature is unclear but its likely a form of blood magic. The Ebony Blade is one such artifact that gains power as you kill more allies with it: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Ebony_Blade_(Skyrim)

Necromancy, on the other hand, has more to do with manipulating the souls or corpses of the dead.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also in Skyrim through the Dawnguard questline, we do see vampires use forms of blood magic particularly for sealing and unsealing doors as well as cursing important magical artifacts.

May or may not also involve vampires, but the blood seal in the entrance of Sky Haven Temple probably counts too.
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    necromancy might also be considered a form of blood magic although I don't know the details of performing it
    In TES: Skyrim, you have the Alteration spell that transforms health into magicka, the closest this we see non-vampire characters get to using blood magic. http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Equilibrium_(Skyrim)

TES Oblivion and Skyrim (I'm not as familiar with Morrowind enchantments) also had the ability to cast/enchant items or spells with absorb health effects, which the exact nature is unclear but its likely a form of blood magic. The Ebony Blade is one such artifact that gains power as you kill more allies with it: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Ebony_Blade_(Skyrim)

Necromancy, on the other hand, has more to do with manipulating the souls or corpses of the dead.

To both of you. First, thanks for replies. Second, I wouldn't call blood magic, necromancy, but I am 100% possessive a necromancer would use it. Blood magic mostly deals with essence, a person's life force, and in some ways force control on a living person, through their blood. Where necromancy is dealing with death, and forces souls into servitude. And now that I think of it, the spike in the hand, at the Blade's temple in Skyrim. Could also be a light form of blood magic.
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭

May or may not also involve vampires, but the blood seal in the entrance of Sky Haven Temple probably counts too.

Funny, I mentioned the same :smiley:
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good catch on the Sky Haven Temple seal! Now that I think about it, we also see Martin Septim use the "blood of a Divine" in the form of Tiber Septim's blood to open the way to Mankar Camoran's paradise in the Oblivion main quest.

However, necromancy as we've seen it in the lore with Mannimarco and most other necromancers I can remember actually doesn't deal with blood magic, being involved with dead bodies and souls: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Necromancy

The one time we do see something that might be blood magic and necromancy really depends on your interpretation of the Forsworn Briarheart, where the Hagravens replace the heart of a Forsworn warrior with a briarheart, turning him into a fearsome warrior. I'll admit to being influenced by fanon in this case and not actually being sure what the canon lore on this is.
  • Thraben
    Thraben
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mages guild Skill, equilibrium, is blood magic, as is the new Nightblade healing skill.

Since the Mages Guild is presented as a force of Good in Tamriel, we have the interesting situation that "blood magic" is not considered evil unlike necromancy.
    Hauptmann der Dolche des Königs

DDK ist die letzte Verteidigungslinie des Dolchsturz- Bündnisses auf der 30-Tage-No-CP- Kampagne(EU) mit dem Anspruch, in kleinen, anfängerfreundlichen Raid-Gruppen möglichst epische Schlachten auszufechten.

DDK is the Daggerfall Covenant´s last line of defense on the 30 days no-cp campaign (EU). We intend to fight epic battles in small, casual player friendly raid groups.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The skill 'blood altar' from the undaunted line comes to mind - maybe if you wanted to RP such a mage, they could be using this skill.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thraben wrote: »
    Since the Mages Guild is presented as a force of Good in Tamriel, we have the interesting situation that "blood magic" is not considered evil unlike necromancy.

As long as the mage in question is using their own blood, or the blood of someone willing, this makes sense. You can theoretically have non-evil necromancy - there's a lich in Grahtwood who's a good example - but given that it requires someone to die, it wouldn't really be practical in most cases.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely go with a magicka nightblade vampire, this will give you access to plenty of skills like you describe. Funnel health, soul tether, sap essence, and invigorating drain all sound like blood magic. There are also 2 skills that sacrifice your own health, equilibrium in the Mage's guild, and the new nightblade healing skill (don't recall the name).
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on November 8, 2017 1:20AM
  • mb10
    mb10
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It definitely exists in TES

There's a card in TES legends I can't remember which that says "your blood will feed my magic" when you summon it
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So from TES Legends, this was the only card I saw that looked blood magic related: https://www.legends-decks.com/card/80/bloodmagiclord
    bloodmagiclord.png

It references Blood Magic spells, but I'm not savvy enough with Legends to figure out what those are.

On the other hand I also found this card, which tickles me pink.
    prizedchicken.png
  • emilyhyoyeon
    emilyhyoyeon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    so in terms of the "bodily" aspect of necromancy, it wouldn't necessarily have to do with blood (or blood doesn't necessarily have to do with the bodily side of necromancy), since that was my first question to myself. It does seem like it's more related to souls rather than physical bodies

http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Necromancy
    Zirasia Firemaker, imperial fire mage & sunbather _ Deebaba Soul-Weaver, argonian spirit minder & soul gem collector
    Tullanisse Starborne, altmer battlemage noble & ayleid researcher _ Qa'Rirra, khajiit assassin & dancer
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kierro wrote: »

Yes, this is exactly what I mean. In Dragon Age lore, a bloodmage uses their own, or someone else's blood, to power their spells. In itself, blood magic isn't evil, it's just how it's used. Blood magic does have a drawback, though. While not evil, the thrill of power becomes like a drug. Sometimes a bloodmage can kill themselves or others from using too much blood spells. This can also lead a mage down a darker path, because the mage is so taken by the power of blood magic they become murderous. Forcefully ripping the blood out of their victims. So because of these set backs, blood magic is banned.

Btw I highly recommend trying Dragon Age. Most will say the 1st one "Dragon Age: Origins" was the best, but be warned don't be expecting top notch graphics. The story though, was amazing. And thank-you for your replies.

This is the neat difference between Elder Scrolls mages and Dragon Age mages. Mages in Tamriel are usually respected for the most part and are seen as a scholarly folk. Who some times go down the wrong path. In Dragon Age...however, DA:1 there was a tower the protagonist visited where most of the mages we see are 'confined' to that tower. They're ridiculed and feared. For if one of the mages where to go mad, they can bring about various different types of fiends called 'Wraiths'. Blood magic did play a big part in this from what I can remember in my first time going into the tower. Much time was spent in bloodied halls battling these fiends.

So as for Blood Magic Lord, like the card says; when he is 1. Summoned, 1 of 4 effect cards are put into the players hand. When he; 2. Slays a target creature, he gives the player 1 of 4 random cards. These are 1 of the following 4;

Corpse Curse

Drain Life

Gargoyle

Raise the Dead

The abilities allow the player to 'control' their opponent actions in different ways.

What's also interesting is when he is summoned/attack is his dialog;

When summoned: "Now you will see real power!"
    When attacking: "Your blood will feed my magic!"

I would love to see Blood Magic Lord appear sometime in ESO. He sounds like a strong foe that would be tricky to take down.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on November 15, 2017 9:03PM
  • Kaktus
    Kaktus
    ✭✭✭
    Yes (Orsinium spoiler):
    The Morkul clan was founded by blood mages who operated the blood forge, though they fled that origin the descendents make reference to still knowing blood magic
  • mook-eb16_ESO
    mook-eb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    there are also blood elder cards in TES

https://www.legends-decks.com/card/692/purebloodelder
  • Bosco916
    Bosco916
    ✭✭✭
    The Sorcerers have a passive skill called Blood Magic (hitting an enemy with a Dark Magic ability heals you for 8% Max Health). The Vampire skill line has Invigorating Drain (consume an enemy's life force, dealing Magic Damage, restoring 20% of your missing Health...) I'm sure there are other "Blood Magic" related abilities...these are just two which come to mind.
    "How DARE you betray me, Tharn!
    Your suffering shall be LEGENDRY!"
    --The King of Worms
  • Kierro
    Kierro
    ✭✭✭
    As for Blood Magic Lord, like the card says; when he is 1. Summoned, 1 of 4 effect cards are put into the players hand. When he; 2. Slays a target creature, he gives the player 1 of 4 random cards. These are 1 of the following 4;

Corpse Curse

Drain Life

Gargoyle

Raise the Dead

The abilities allow the player to 'control' their opponent actions in different ways.

What's also interesting is when he is summoned/attack is his dialog;

When summoned: "Now you will see real power!"
    When attacking: "Your blood will feed my magic!"

I would love to see Blood Magic Lord appear sometime in ESO. He sounds like a strong foe that would be tricky to take down.

I agree, it would be awesome to see a Blood Magic Lord.
  • Ximinetto
    Ximinetto
    ✭✭✭
    Very helpful this thread, i made one today, trying to know if blooe magew are heros or bad guys. And here it is the answer. Btw i will use a Nord Magicka Nightblade for the same purposes.
  • PrayingSeraph
    PrayingSeraph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a DA fan myself, I highly opposed and argued against blood magic years ago. I was a Templar supporter.

But yes, blood magic is very much linked to vampires in Elder Scrolls.
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ximinetto wrote: »
    Very helpful this thread, i made one today, trying to know if blooe magew are heros or bad guys. And here it is the answer. Btw i will use a Nord Magicka Nightblade for the same purposes.

A bloodmage, similar to those in other gamee, does not exists. Vampires and necromancers come close but ultimately blood is not the source of power. Vampire are cursed by a daedric Prince's affliction. Necromancers still use Magicka but make use of corpses.

Nightblade magic that drains health is simply restoration magic, in most cases, and a bit of destruction.

I will admit, it gets a bit fishy comparing magic to something we can understand. But blood is simply blood. Like with lycanthropy, and in our world, the disease is carried in blood. One could very feasibly weaponize magic that utilized diseased blood. But why when established magic is infinitely more potent?
  • notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bosco916 wrote: »
    The Sorcerers have a passive skill called Blood Magic (hitting an enemy with a Dark Magic ability heals you for 8% Max Health). The Vampire skill line has Invigorating Drain (consume an enemy's life force, dealing Magic Damage, restoring 20% of your missing Health...) I'm sure there are other "Blood Magic" related abilities...these are just two which come to mind.

A big issue with the points made on those skills is misnaming. Dealing damage as healing yourself is restoration magic. Has been for most TES games

On vamp drain, vampires regenerate naturally and very quickly., But their sustenance is blood. Its much more like nourishment than healing with the blood of another
    Edited by notimetocare on May 13, 2018 4:23PM
  • Horker
    Horker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Equilibrium from mages guild skill line drains your health for magicka, alot of magicka damage dealers use this to sustain trough trials while getting healed in the draining by allies.
    ROSES ARE RED, VIOLETS ARE BLUE, TRINIMAC IS DEAD, MALACATH IS TRUE