The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Night capping discussion

• Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    ToRelax wrote: »
    "there are players playing in off-peak hours". Which no one has a problem with in the first place.
    Are we reading the same thread?
    confused24.gif

This thread is full of comments along the lines of "i don't want all *my* hard work go to waste while i'm sleeping, i deserve special treatment because of where i live and when i play."
    rolleyes.gif

No, they are full of comments along the lines of 'stop all stacking the same faction when the servers arent pop-locked'

Please stop pretending this doesn't happen and isn't a problem.

Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Biro123 wrote: »
    'stop all stacking the same faction when the servers arent pop-locked'

So you only want people to be able to play when all 3 factions are pop-locked?
    confused24.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on November 5, 2017 9:36PM
    Options
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

confused24.gif

No, he wants people to stop stacking the same faction. Playing 1bar vs 1 bar vs 1 bar is completely fine, even while factions are not pop-locked. Having the same amount of players instead play 3bars vs 1 bar vs 1 bar is not.

And please, stop pretending you did not understand what he meant. We're all grown-ups here.
    Edited by Sharee on November 5, 2017 11:08PM
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    We're all grown-ups here.
    Ok, now who is the troll here?

There's nothing to prevent a faction from dominating a campaign during "prime time" either, and please don't pretend that never happens.

So how exactly did we get from "night capping" to "all factions must be equal"? The two aren't even remotely related.
    Faction balance in a campaign and "please don't play while i'm asleep" are two different things.
    blink.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on November 5, 2017 11:31PM
    Options
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

There's nothing to prevent a faction from dominating a campaign during "prime time" either, and please don't pretend that never happens.

So how exactly did we get from "night capping" to "all factions must be equal"? The two aren't even remotely related.
    Faction balance in a campaign and "please don't play while i'm asleep" are two different things.
    blink.gif

That is because no one was demanding that others don't play while they are asleep in the first place. :)
    You're a smart person, right? You don't need us to explain a this simple issue in babysteps?
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU
    Options
  • O_LYKOS
    O_LYKOS
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this thread real?
    PC NA - GreggsSausageRoll
    Xbox NA - CinnamonRoll266
    Options
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    We do know how this strategy is being exploited over and over. "Prime Time" is when the server is at its peak - not when people like Andy decide they want to play. And people in the central region of their server do have the right to set that peak point.

Maybe Aussies have rightfully something to say here. But as American, you do not belong on the EU server and vice-versa. You ruin the population balance and you lag like crazy. Exception is when you can only play at night, so the server's prime. Friends are NOT an argument. Find new ones. We all did.

Solution is quite simple, but somewhat expensive.
    Two servers for each campaign mode. One runs from 11am to 11pm, other from pm to am. Server kicks you in off-time. Use the downtime to do small maintenance.

Another solution is to simply disable scoring at night. Give NPCs a buff in relation to player population. Modify scoring to regard population.

Lots of possible solutions. Just don't pretend Nightcapping wasn't an exploitable thing. And put the earned crowns into improving your antiquated system, ZOS. Hire some talented programmers, for example.
    Options
  • Tlania
    Tlania
    ✭✭✭
    well thanks for the ideas, those who contributed with ideas, yes people play at different times. but with say with PC eu right now AD turning the map on vivec gold, on sotha EP turning the map red. neither alliance have any resistance that can stop them. I'm certain the players who like me play later/early hours would like the option of not PVEing keeps all night and we all stack in one campaign so we get some pvp. ive tried to play EP on vivec at 0200, 50 light attacks from the ad zerg is a lot of burst. same if your try sotha on AD or DC. and btw @zos fear doesn't even the odds :)
    Options
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

confused24.gif

^^ Either a deliberate troll here, or doesn't understand sentences. Either way, I'm done with the thread.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Options
  • AddictionX
    AddictionX
    ✭✭✭✭

confused24.gif

^^ Either a deliberate troll here, or doesn't understand sentences. Either way, I'm done with the thread.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

It's likely both.
    Options
  • elfantasmo
    elfantasmo
    ✭✭✭
    Edited by elfantasmo on November 7, 2017 9:06PM
    Options
  • elfantasmo
    elfantasmo
    ✭✭✭
    Options
  • elfantasmo
    elfantasmo
    ✭✭✭
    Forum reply box is trolling me!
    Options
  • KRBMMO
    KRBMMO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tlania wrote: »
    well thanks for the ideas, those who contributed with ideas, yes people play at different times. but with say with PC eu right now AD turning the map on vivec gold, on sotha EP turning the map red. neither alliance have any resistance that can stop them. I'm certain the players who like me play later/early hours would like the option of not PVEing keeps all night and we all stack in one campaign so we get some pvp. ive tried to play EP on vivec at 0200, 50 light attacks from the ad zerg is a lot of burst. same if your try sotha on AD or DC. and btw @zos fear doesn't even the odds :)

I am ALWAYS going to play at "night" for NA and EU. That's just how the math works out. The same will be true for anyone between Honolulu and Bombay.

Question: Does your guild do ANYTHING to encourage people in different time zones to join? I ask because I used to be in a few NA of one faction but all their events were scheduled only to revolve around East Texas time zone, lol. Across a few guilds I was a member of, absolutely zero events were scheduled at at time I could actually participate.

There aren't a TON of people that play the same times I do, but there are enough to create a problem for you it seems. Instead of asking ZOS to solve a problem, why don't you just give SOME of those people a reason to join your faction? Maybe find someone in your guild who is a night owl and willing to schedule late night events?

Honestly this is #1 on my list when I considered which faction to join. Hmmm, let me see ... join a guild that accuses people of cheating because we play on a different schedule ... or a faction with a guild that actually considers Oceania players when they schedule events?

Note I that I haven't yet participated in any flipping events like you are describing - but I don't see anything wrong if I do at some time in the future. If I did help flip a bunch of stuff at night with a group I'd expect to wake up the next morning to a completely different map. That's just how it goes.

If you want balanced factions at night maybe consider why people are REALLY joining a particular faction at that time instead of just assuming everyone is cheating you. One way to do that would be to stop saying people are "Guilty" of "Nightcapping" - as if they are doing something wrong.

Step 1 - Encourage a night Owl already in your guild to take a leadership role
    Step 2 - Recruit Night Owls
    Step 3 - Schedule PvE events at night to help them build up their toon in your faction
    Step 4 - Schedule PvP events after you have a small PvP Night Owl Group

Or ... if that's all too much trouble just complain to Zos that people are cheating and Zos should do something about it.
    Options
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should be some kind of penalty for high-pop faction abusing the map and trolling the other 2 low-pop factions. Tougher NPCs or something.

The prime example is Sotha Sil. I know many would come there and indeed many do come in normal hours, but also go off as soon as red start taking the entire map and playing with themselves and npcs.
    Options
  • Daedric_NB_187
    Daedric_NB_187
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    We do know how this strategy is being exploited over and over. "Prime Time" is when the server is at its peak - not when people like Andy decide they want to play. And people in the central region of their server do have the right to set that peak point.

Maybe Aussies have rightfully something to say here. But as American, you do not belong on the EU server and vice-versa. You ruin the population balance and you lag like crazy. Exception is when you can only play at night, so the server's prime. Friends are NOT an argument. Find new ones. We all did.

Solution is quite simple, but somewhat expensive.
    Two servers for each campaign mode. One runs from 11am to 11pm, other from pm to am. Server kicks you in off-time. Use the downtime to do small maintenance.

Another solution is to simply disable scoring at night. Give NPCs a buff in relation to player population. Modify scoring to regard population.

Lots of possible solutions. Just don't pretend Nightcapping wasn't an exploitable thing. And put the earned crowns into improving your antiquated system, ZOS. Hire some talented programmers, for example.

Lol. Is this person serious? Wow lol.
    Options
  • Zbigb4life
    Zbigb4life
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    But the world is round... ;)

Everytime somebody writes "nightcapping", a little Galileo dies...

Wow then by now there aren't a lot left of them ;)
    Options
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    KRBMMO wrote: »

I am ALWAYS going to play at "night" for NA and EU. That's just how the math works out. The same will be true for anyone between Honolulu and Bombay.

Question: Does your guild do ANYTHING to encourage people in different time zones to join? I ask because I used to be in a few NA of one faction but all their events were scheduled only to revolve around East Texas time zone, lol. Across a few guilds I was a member of, absolutely zero events were scheduled at at time I could actually participate.

There aren't a TON of people that play the same times I do, but there are enough to create a problem for you it seems. Instead of asking ZOS to solve a problem, why don't you just give SOME of those people a reason to join your faction? Maybe find someone in your guild who is a night owl and willing to schedule late night events?

Honestly this is #1 on my list when I considered which faction to join. Hmmm, let me see ... join a guild that accuses people of cheating because we play on a different schedule ... or a faction with a guild that actually considers Oceania players when they schedule events?

Note I that I haven't yet participated in any flipping events like you are describing - but I don't see anything wrong if I do at some time in the future. If I did help flip a bunch of stuff at night with a group I'd expect to wake up the next morning to a completely different map. That's just how it goes.

If you want balanced factions at night maybe consider why people are REALLY joining a particular faction at that time instead of just assuming everyone is cheating you. One way to do that would be to stop saying people are "Guilty" of "Nightcapping" - as if they are doing something wrong.

Step 1 - Encourage a night Owl already in your guild to take a leadership role
    Step 2 - Recruit Night Owls
    Step 3 - Schedule PvE events at night to help them build up their toon in your faction
    Step 4 - Schedule PvP events after you have a small PvP Night Owl Group

Or ... if that's all too much trouble just complain to Zos that people are cheating and Zos should do something about it.

Or maybe, just maybe instead of wanting established primetime guilds to 'look-after' the off-peak players, maybe some of the off-peak players could look at maybe making their own guild on a weaker faction to do all that stuff?

I honestly don't know what anyone gets out of stacking the strongest faction, throwing rocks at doors every couple of seconds, then when the odd enemy appears racing your allies to get a light attack off before the poor sob carks it.

I'd much rather play on the weaker side to actually have opponents to fight and to challenge myself to survive and improve. But I guess I'm just weird. I often log off when my faction is dominating.
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Options
  • Drummerx04
    Drummerx04
    ✭✭✭✭✭

blink.gif

Sure, that does happen, but typically it lasts for less than an hour and rarely does a faction make headway past the first emp keep in enemy territory and the outlier keeps like dragonclaw. All other objectives are either defended successfully or quickly recovered during NA primetime.

It's actually super rare on PC/NA Vivec for a faction to have a massive population advantage, and normally the overall faction effectiveness is instead tied to which guilds are running that day, but again it's pretty rare to make serious progress into enemy territory.

I've played during every regional "prime time" (for months) and the difference is astonishing. In the off-peak times, one semi coordinated guild group of 12-24 can literally shut down the map, capture emperor and several scrolls, and be effectively unopposed for hours on end until another faction's guild has a scheduled form up. What percentage of emperorships do you think begin during NA prime time? I would estimate well under 10%, and this is not a coincidence, but rather a direct result of reduced populations.

In terms of campaign victory, this leads to a huge imbalance in my effective scoring contribution if I play during prime time vs playing off-peak. Prime time is most commonly a deadlock, so the only time any faction can make noteworthy progress is off-peak, and this fact really sucks for anyone who plays NA prime time and cares about trying to win.

These are all readily and repeatably observable conditions. Denying them is pretty pointless.

Note: The others and I are not suggesting that the off-peak times should somehow be punished or penalized for living in a different timezone, but we are requesting a little restraint from the obviously dominating factions on each server. Ask yourself, "Does my faction really need to capture emp against clearly outnumbered opponents for the 15th night in a row while we are 6000 points in the lead, or can we try to get some balanced fights and have fun?"
    PC/NA - Nightfighters, Raid Leader and Officer
    Lilith Arujo - DC sorc tank/dps/healer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, Gryphon Heart, Grand Warlord
    Lilith Tortorici - DC templar trials healer

Notable Completions:
    vAS (72k), vMoL HM (160k), vAA HM (135k), vHRC HM, vSO HM (141k), vHoF HM (168k), vCR+3(129k), vDSA 45k, vMA 591k

Original Addons:
    Lilith's Group Manager
    Lilith's Lazy Hacks - Auto Recharge/Repair
    Bot Scanner 2000
    Lilith's Command History
    Maintained Addons:
    Kill Counter
    Options
  • AddictionX
    AddictionX
    ✭✭✭✭
    wonder if they'll do anything about it. Probably not. Eventually, people will just move on once the next game comes along.
    Edited by AddictionX on November 10, 2017 4:06AM
    Options
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hi all, before I start ALL 3 ALLAINCES are guilty of this.
    we all know how feels to be on the receiving side of this, I've been thinking a lot how to stop it and one idea was, once the scrolls have gone the 3 home keeps cant be taken till the scrolls are returned not sure how they would do this maybe boost the NPCs at the gate and they help retake them>? It would give the factions that are been gate farmed a chance to spread out and retake stuff rather than just think " bugger it ill go pve or to a different alliance.

I have absolutely zero problem with people going around capturing keeps whenever they are playing, regardless of day or night. I have more problem when I have logged on and there was nothing going on, had to run around trying to find some fights or flag resource, keeps just to find some enemy players.

We are all living in different time zones and have different personal schedules. Often I enjoy playing late night / early morning Pacific time, which tends to be when a lot of Oceanic players are online. Some people play during the middle of the day weekdays.

This game is the most fun when you can log on at 3am weeknight and there are still some epic battles going on all over the map, or 11am on a weekday etc. Why would anybody desire the map to be dead for some arbitrary part of the day?
    Options
  • AddictionX
    AddictionX
    ✭✭✭✭
    we all know how feels to be on the receiving side of this, I've been thinking a lot how to stop it and one idea was, once the scrolls have gone the 3 home keeps cant be taken till the scrolls are returned not sure how they would do this maybe boost the NPCs at the gate and they help retake them>? It would give the factions that are been gate farmed a chance to spread out and retake stuff rather than just think " bugger it ill go pve or to a different alliance.

I have absolutely zero problem with people going around capturing keeps whenever they are playing, regardless of day or night. I have more problem when I have logged on and there was nothing going on, had to run around trying to find some fights or flag resource, keeps just to find some enemy players.

We are all living in different time zones and have different personal schedules. Often I enjoy playing late night / early morning Pacific time, which tends to be when a lot of Oceanic players are online. Some people play during the middle of the day weekdays.

This game is the most fun when you can log on at 3am weeknight and there are still some epic battles going on all over the map, or 11am on a weekday etc. Why would anybody desire the map to be dead for some arbitrary part of the day?

What are these epic battles you speak of... im getting 20v1 at 3 am on a weeknight.
    Edited by AddictionX on November 10, 2017 4:11AM
    Options
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    AddictionX wrote: »

What are these epic battles you speak of... im getting 20 v 1 at 3 am on a weeknight.

At launch we had massive battles all over the map 24/7 on several different campaigns. NA PC PVP population started dropping a lot about 3-6 months after launch, continued dropping and then fortunately picked up about a year ago with lots of new players from Japan and again a bit after Morrowind and it seems at least some new players stuck around after the midyear double AP event.

Have seen a lot of new people in Cyrodiil, enough to keep Vivec campaign fairly active around the clock. For the past few months from around 2 am - 5am daily, large DC pop tends to dominate the server. Some might consider that night-capping, but I'm very grateful for all those players! Have seen some pretty epic battles at this time that would otherwise be dead.

It confuses me as to why anyone who PVPs in this game would ever want any server to be dead (at any time of day or night). We should all want this game to be bursting with tons of new players at all hours. The most fun was when we had several campaigns full around the clock at launch (and pop limits were higher back then).

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on November 10, 2017 11:04PM
    Options
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe region locking the EU and NA servers should be an option. Japanese MMOs do it.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord-Otto wrote: »
    But as American, you do not belong on the EU server and vice-versa
    Wait what? I must have missed that memo, please post a link where ZOS states this ...
    shades.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on November 10, 2017 5:33AM
    Options
  • AddictionX
    AddictionX
    ✭✭✭✭

What are these epic battles you speak of... im getting 20 v 1 at 3 am on a weeknight.

At launch we had massive battles all over the map 24/7 on several different campaigns. NA PC PVP population started dropping a lot about 3-6 months after launch, continued dropping and then picked up about a year ago with lots of new players from Japan and again a bit after Morrowind and it seems at least some new players stuck around after the midyear double AP event.

Have seen a lot of new people in Cyrodiil, enough to keep Vivec campaign fairly active around the clock. For the past few months from around 2 am - 5am daily, large DC pop tends to dominate the server. Some might consider that night-capping, but I'm very grateful for all those players! Have seen some pretty epic battles at this time that would otherwise be dead.

It confuses me as to why anyone who PVPs in this game would ever want any server to be dead (at any time of day or night). We should all want this game to be bursting with tons of new players at all hours. The most fun was when we had several campaigns full around the clock at launch (and pop limits were higher back then).

20v1 at 3 am on a weeknight is not fun really, nor epic in my humble opinion. We are perhaps 4 years now from when the game launched. I see no problem in creating 3, 8-hour campaigns. Or 2, 12-hour campaigns in which one are for the people who play in different time zones. It's alot cheaper than the alternative creating a SEA server, which realistically probably isn't going to happen.(this issue probably won't get addressed either probably) Also, I was there at launch and it was a mess.

Why is there a NA and a EU server? I suspect one of the reasons is to accommodate that areas specific time zone, So why couldn't pvp servers be the same way. Everyone wins in this scenario people who wish to have no opposition will continue to have none... unless they're actually "night capping".
    Edited by AddictionX on November 10, 2017 3:56PM
    Options
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

At launch we had massive battles all over the map 24/7 on several different campaigns. NA PC PVP population started dropping a lot about 3-6 months after launch, continued dropping and then picked up about a year ago with lots of new players from Japan and again a bit after Morrowind and it seems at least some new players stuck around after the midyear double AP event.

20v1 at 3 am on a weeknight is not fun really, nor epic in my humble opinion. We are perhaps 4 years now from when the game launched. I see no problem in creating 3, 8-hour campaigns. Or 2, 12-hour campaigns in which one are for the people who play in different time zones. It's alot cheaper than the alternative creating a SEA server, which realistically probably isn't going to happen.(this issue probably won't get addressed either probably) Also, I was there at launch and it was a mess.

Why is there a NA and a EU server? I suspect one of the reasons is to accommodate that areas specific time zone, So why couldn't pvp servers be the same way. Everyone wins in this scenario people who wish to have no opposition will continue to have none... unless they're actually "night capping".

The server you are playing on has only 21 people playing around that time? Of course that's not epic, sounds like a dead server.

Few seem to want to play on short term campaigns other than those trying to farm or trade Emperor title. No idea whether EU has similar situation, but on NA PC we've had only one high pop campaign during past couple years, which is always 30 day standard. The 7 day campaigns have never been very popular.

30 days is reasonable. 90 days felt like higher stakes, but the rewards were kinda disappointing back then (10k gold for top of leaderboard). 8 hour or 12 hour daily campaigns would be a joke.

Edited by IcyDeadPeople on November 10, 2017 9:18PM
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

agree.gif
    Options
  • AddictionX
    AddictionX
    ✭✭✭✭

The server you are playing on has only 21 people playing around that time? Of course that's not epic, sounds like a dead server.

Few seem to want to play on short term campaigns other than those trying to farm or trade Emperor title. No idea whether EU has similar situation, but on NA PC we've had only one high pop campaign during past couple years, which is always 30 day standard. The 7 day campaigns have never been very popular.

30 days is reasonable. 90 days felt like higher stakes, but the rewards were kinda disappointing back then (10k gold for top of leaderboard). 8 hour or 12 hour daily campaigns would be a joke.

You misunderstand or misrepresenting what i am saying. Two separate campaigns but the 30 day/X days wouldn't change. Just one server is "open for pvp" during x-times while the other one or two are on lock down until a certain time(just to better illustrate my point) but what im actually thinking might be even easier for ZOS.

For example you can still play on 30 day standard but there are times slotted for which the time zone the campaign score board it counts towards. An example to illustrate this would be 3 different campaign board evaluations for different times of the day. That way everyone can play on their prime time it basically tracks down actual effort during your prime time and maybe even encourage a better and more healthy pvp population. If people now see the time you put into it actually counts towards your faction overall score. This way if you enjoy playing with a full raid stacking one faction at 2,3,4-x am in the night you can still do so but you wont be allowed to essentially negate what happens during the most populated times. Vice-versa.

It wont solve everything but its a start and better than what it is now. Which basically demoralized any new players who enter pvp. Leading them to simply play the "winning" faction for easy gains/feel good/idk/x reason.

This way old players and new and everyone in between if they play for the campaign efforts are harder to negate... It disincentivizes legitimate "night capping" and we likely to see a better balanced population at night ex 10v10v10. Not 20+ vs 5 vs 3.

I play on 30 day campaign pc eu vivec.
    Edited by AddictionX on November 10, 2017 10:51PM
    Options
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will play on whatever campaign I like, whenever I like. I will always be on the NA server while most of NA is asleep and I already pay a penalty with the servers always having maintenance during my prime time.

There are a load of threads about how PVP is dying and any change to restrict access to please a couple of time zones will only speed up its demise.
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
    Options