Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Vaults of Madness Ghost boss tip (no deaths)

Armatesz
Armatesz
✭✭✭✭✭
This is something I have learned before about the boss named "The cursed one". If you ever hear him talk about sacrificing one of your own and see the blue beam he attaches onto one of your own people... STOP ATTACKING. Reason why is any damage you do is copied to your own ally and will kill them. Easiest thing to do is kill the ads first and then when he does the blue beam just have your team run side by side till beam breaks. Then when he stops that then attack, my suggestion is do not use aoe attacks that leave dots on the area or any damage over time effect on him. He is pretty easy to do and this dungeon can be done without your teammates dying or having their health go to 50%.
Ärmätèsz
Xbox NA
Guildless (by choice)
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things you learn while doing dungeons solo you know.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    For no death run it might be fine, but if you don't need it, it's just faster to damage it and let one die. No reason to even ress, as the boss has very low hp pool. You can even kill it before it does the attack.

BTW. You can keep dodging on stamina. For some reason you can dodge the siphon damage :D.
  • Marabornwingrion
    Marabornwingrion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boss will start using this attack 10 seconds after fight started, optionally you can burst him down in these 10 seconds so he won't charge this attack at all.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We abhor deaths as a matter of principle. But, yes, this boss is a boss of extremes. Either kill him very carefully and halt DPS (including removing DoTs) the second he starts the beam. Or go full nuke on him--tab target him, War Horn from the tank and three damage ults from everyone else to open, and he should be dead before he does his beam attack. Anything in the middle, and someone will die.
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • Larsay
    Larsay
    ✭✭✭
    Every time I see things on this boss I can't help but LoL.

And there is a third option... If your DPS is not high enough to get you through it before the beam.... I have been in groups with both DPS doing approx. 40k get lifted as the tank and my healer out heals their DPS output... but then again you have to hope RNG is on your side with who gets lifted I suppose.

Either way, if the deaths bother enough to come to the forums, express to your group before you even start that this is how you want to handle the boss, because you hate seeing someone die and it ruins your fun, or your trying to get deathless etc.

You may get a group that is receptive. And if not, you don't... but eh, a forum post really wont solve much other than let you blow off some steam.
    Guild Leader of CtrlAltElite
    Heidi Oakheart - Nord - Dragon Knight - Trial Tank - Stormproof
    Drinda Ebonheart - Imperial - Nightblade - Trial Tank - Stormproof
    Larsay Faithhealer - Breton - Templar - Trial Healer - Stormproof
    Ingrid Winterborn - Redguard - Dragon Knight - Stamina DPS -Stormproof
    Elina Hailstorm - Bosmer - Sorcerer - Stamina DPS - Stormproof
    Gwen Stormarrow - Breton - Sorcerer - Magicka DPS - Stormproof
    Regina Lightbringer - Redguard - Templar - Stamina DPS - Stormproof

Notable Clears vHRC HM, vAA HM, vSO HM, vMoL, vAS
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is more of I like it better to see people not die as to not see them stressed out.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tommalmm wrote: »
    For no death run it might be fine, but if you don't need it, it's just faster to damage it and let one die. No reason to even ress, as the boss has very low hp pool. You can even kill it before it does the attack.

BTW. You can keep dodging on stamina. For some reason you can dodge the siphon damage :D.

Never thought his beam was dodgeable lol, kinda like that lunge or aoe attack for the last boss in tempest island is dodgeable lol, although hard to do lunge right.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • tommalmm
    tommalmm
    ✭✭✭
    Armatesz wrote: »

Never thought his beam was dodgeable lol, kinda like that lunge or aoe attack for the last boss in tempest island is dodgeable lol, although hard to do lunge right.

I've tried that yesterday. Wasn't able to dodge all the damage, but most of it and the healer was able to easily heal the remaining. I've used pretty much all my stamina, though. Looked hilarious. The other DD had 25-30k DPS. Might've not worked well if it was 40+.

I believe it's a bug or unintended feature. You shouldn't be able to do that.
    Edited by tommalmm on October 20, 2017 8:07AM
  • Flameheart
    Flameheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I know anything, then that the above written mechanic (group dps copy on random player) of that boss is one of the most uncovered game secrets. It's amazing how many people with loads of CP and playtime still do not know about that.

On the other hand I like to go full out. If you can kill him before he does his beam of death, you know this is a good group where all is as it should be. DDs are doing great dps and most likely a Warhorn was running too (as it should be).

Edited by Flameheart on October 23, 2017 12:15PM
    Sometimes the prey turns and nips us... it's a small thing.

So let the snow flakes and unicorns dance alone until they melt or vanish from existence, we will finish up with those smart enough to stay in the glowing circle of love.

Selissi - CP 1k+ Redguard Stamina Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Silmerel - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Templar (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sunja - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Nightblade (Ebonheart Pact)
    Suldreni - CP 1k+ Dunmer Magicka Dragonknight (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sulhelka - CP 1k+ Altmer Magicka Sorcerer (Ebonheart Pact)
    Sylundine - CP 1k+ Breton Magicka Warden (Ebonheart Pact)

• Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flameheart wrote: »
    When I know anything, then that the above written mechanic (group dps copy on random player) of that boss is one of the most uncovered game secrets. It's amazing how many people with loads of CP and playtime still do not know about that.

On the other hand I like to go full out. If you can kill him before he does his beam of death, you know this is a good group where all is as it should be. DDs are doing great dps and most likely a Warhorn was running too (as it should be).

Could wipe that first boss quicker, but I find some of the friends I run with like to save up the really harder work for the next following boss.
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This dungeon has the best mechanics.

First its the boss where he looks at you and says "Surely you won't sacrifice one of your friends?" and we look back and say "Sure, Why not?" and keep on attacking. One dead friend, coming right up.

Then its the harvester, who picks one player to send on a brief, relaxing vacation in the air, because being a tank, healer, or DPS is a stressful job and we need a moment to relax from our duties.

The rest are pretty regular boss fights until we get to the final boss where we get to do the Hokey-Pokey! You know how it goes, "You put your right foot in, you put your right foot out..." You jump in or out of the circle of death, shake it all about, burn the boss and collect your reward.

I love Vaults of Madness. Its probably my favorite dungeon in the game.
  • Bucky Balls
    Bucky Balls
    ✭✭✭

Actually, I dont think this a good idea at all. In these circumstances the remaining three charge across the bridge while the dropped character is resurrecting or looting that boss with the almost inevitable consequence they get engulfed in the flames that appear when the second boss is engaged. Unless the healer - assuming the 'healer' is actually a healer - is aware of this (or is the person rushing the flames) they tend to die again.

But what you describe is invariably what happens. Unless you're in a group with friends and ask them/explain the procedure.
  • Armatesz
    Armatesz
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually, I dont think this a good idea at all. In these circumstances the remaining three charge across the bridge while the dropped character is resurrecting or looting that boss with the almost inevitable consequence they get engulfed in the flames that appear when the second boss is engaged. Unless the healer - assuming the 'healer' is actually a healer - is aware of this (or is the person rushing the flames) they tend to die again.

But what you describe is invariably what happens. Unless you're in a group with friends and ask them/explain the procedure.

Yeah I ran as a healer and left groups that bum rushed too far ahead, tell them the strategy and they just don't care. They can see the team is falling apart. I as a healer should not be the only good person on a team...
    Ärmätèsz
    Xbox NA
    Guildless (by choice)
  • Gilliamtherogue
    Gilliamtherogue
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As many people have pointed out, you can stop damaging the boss to prevent the tether from killing the linked ally. Each source of damage (DoTs, initial hits, etc) will all cause 1 tick of damage from the beam to go through, so more than ~10 hits will kill someone if done too quickly.

However, there is something people don't realize. You can dodge roll tick of damage from this beam, allowing your allies to continue dealing damage. You'll have to spam dodge roll for the entirety of the situation, so this is only really feasible if a Stamina DPS gets the link.
    Old member of The Order of Mundus, Mostly Harmless, Hostile, and Genesis Elite. Avid theorycrafter. Herald to competitive stamina DPS pre 1.5. How far we've come!

Have questions? Send me a message on the forums or my other social media. Seeing people learn is my dream and passion.

Guides and other fun videos at https://youtube.com/c/gilliamtherogue
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Things you learn while doing dungeons solo you know.
    This is something I have learned before about the boss named "The cursed one". If you ever hear him talk about sacrificing one of your own and see the blue beam he attaches onto one of your own people... STOP ATTACKING. Reason why is any damage you do is copied to your own ally and will kill them. Easiest thing to do is kill the ads first and then when he does the blue beam just have your team run side by side till beam breaks. Then when he stops that then attack, my suggestion is do not use aoe attacks that leave dots on the area or any damage over time effect on him. He is pretty easy to do and this dungeon can be done without your teammates dying or having their health go to 50%.

Great stuff, wish I knew that earlier. I always shrugged it off and asked team mates in the dungeon how do you stop it. Never thought to ask in a forum before. Well now that I know, I will put it to good use. Thanks.
    Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

ESO Beta Test Ultimate Question for control!
    Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38
  • John_Falstaff
    John_Falstaff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're going for nodeath run and feel that group damage isn't through the roof (or a lot are DoT builds and can't stop damaging on short notice), then there's third option - just avoid damaging him until after first beam. I can't be sure, should check, but I think that time between engaging and first beam is much shorter than between first beam and the next one after. Give him ten seconds without damage whatsoever, wait out the beam, then burn away.
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For this boss I go into my heavy tank set (50k health), and spam bol whilst the healer does the same. It does work sometimes.
    Edited by Mancombe_Nosehair on December 16, 2018 10:48AM
  • Mancombe_Nosehair
    Mancombe_Nosehair
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just tried the dodge roll a couple of times yesterday, and it did seem to work.