The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Crown Crate COMMON and FINE rewards - does anyone use them?

Scarlett_Princess
Scarlett_Princess
✭✭✭
This poll is basically a survey, and I hope ZoS utilise the information provided to make informed changes in the Crown Crate store.

If you use the COMMON elixirs, potions + poisons, state in the comments which ones you use and in what capacity (PvE/PvP etc).

If you use the FINE riding skills, food/drinks, xp scroll, repair kit, soul gem, again state in the comments which ones.

<3
Edited by Scarlett_Princess on September 29, 2017 9:06PM
FACT: Haters don't really hate you. In fact, they hate themselves, because you're a reflection of what they wish to be.

~ Scarlett Princess | Aldmeri Dominion | Orc | Stamina Sorcerer ~

Aussie Player | PC | NA Server

Crown Crate COMMON and FINE rewards - does anyone use them? 109 votes

I use some or all of the COMMON rewards
1%
FakeFoxTelvanniWizard 2 votes
I don't use any COMMON rewards and they should be removed or buffed
7%
huntgod_ESOWuffyCeruleiSheezabeastEmirriiRohamad_AliMorgul667SydneyGreyDrakkdjinn 8 votes
I use some or all of the FINE rewards
13%
NestorDeadlyRecluseesp1992carlyKeldheirHippie4927TonyRockaroniGeroken777Ghostrunner24StonyfootImzaApache_KidEatmyfaceskrvbb10rdRaltin 15 votes
I don't use any FINE rewards and they should be removed or buffed
2%
Zbigb4lifeGreasytenguTasear 3 votes
I use both the COMMON and FINE rewards
7%
vailjohn_ESOGalenMithoronvrineCaffeinatedMayhempeacenoteOcean_Charlie9Sortep1977 8 votes
Both the COMMON and FINE rewards should be removed or buffed
66%
laurajfPinesyArtisMojmirArobainAlienSlofzariaWolfpawcamelliabeckamayxSkullfoxJoffyToffy69OlauronPetitessebaratronArcirisKatinasSarevoccredspecter23Jakhajay 73 votes
  • Scarlett_Princess
    Scarlett_Princess
    ✭✭✭
    My opinion, I think ALL the COMMON rewards, and the food/drinks in the FINE rewards, should either be removed, or buffed up to be ever so slightly better than in-game items, so I feel encouraged to use them and not convert them back into crown gems.

The soul gems are a complete waste of time as they are so easy to obtain in-game. But I do like the riding skills and repair kits!
    FACT: Haters don't really hate you. In fact, they hate themselves, because you're a reflection of what they wish to be.

~ Scarlett Princess | Aldmeri Dominion | Orc | Stamina Sorcerer ~

Aussie Player | PC | NA Server
  • Slurg
    Slurg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not voting because I don't want them buffed to be better than in-game items. How many people really want these gamble box consumables to be better than the ones you can craft?

Just take that junk out of the loot table entirely or give it a much higher gem exchange amount so people feel like they're getting something they can use for their money. And then maybe a few of us won't consider the gamble boxes such a rip off.
    Happy All the Holidays To You and Yours!
    Remembering better days of less RNG in all the things.
  • Lone_Wolf
    Lone_Wolf
    ✭✭✭
    Removed entirely. Buffing them to be better than player crafted items would make them pay to win. They are worthless compared to what can be crafted (I actually got my new warden to level 50 alchemy in just 30 minutes) or can be bought from other players on the guild stores. There's no point to using the potions, soul gems and food that are offered in the crown store or the crates, unless you're a fresh start player with no max level characters. Even then just after a few question to other players or a guild you will quickly learn that you got jipped out of some gems you could have used to buy some exp scrolls, mimic stones, riding books or just a neat cosmetic.

I have no problems with the items I listed just now as they provide a good utility to players saving gold and more importantly time.

For a game that requires you to pay for the base game, any dlc and an optional monthly sub, especially when they don't provide any free zones or dungeons anymore, these common consumables are just garbage they use to fill the crates to make people buy more and more so they can collect gems slowly. Now if they made the crates to be rewarded to players after completing some week long challenges or something to incentivize players actually coming online to play the game then I would have no problem with the crates containing these junk gem fodder items.

TL;DR: Remove the consumables. Keep the EXP scrolls or make the options for obtainable crates for free after doing some big challenges in game.
    Edited by Lone_Wolf on September 30, 2017 2:03AM
  • Zhaedri
    Zhaedri
    ✭✭✭✭
    Removed. I like that these consumables aren't as good as crafted in game stuff; so many games make the crafted items lesser than found/dropped items, and ESO is a great game that supports player crafting.

Only a few of the common/fine rewards are useful. XP scrolls, mimic stones, riding training, research scrolls. The drinks, potions, poisons, and food are all rubbish. I don't even keep the 'Roguish' whatever potions I get from thievy/killy stuff as they are not as useful to me as my own alchemy skill made stuff.

I get that they want the common/fine rewards to be not as awesome as the higher rewards, and that is cool.

Common rewards could instead be the xp scrolls, mimic stones, riding training, research scrolls, and perhaps some unique other consumables that produce results that aren't what could be crafted (such as temporary polymorph potions that polymorph you for 2 hours). Dye stamps could also be an option for common rewards.

Fine rewards could include the better XP scrolls/research scrolls, riding training that gives +3 levels instead of +1, and the lesser cosmetics... the lip tints from the current crates would be great in this category. Furniture items could also be available, such as things otherwise only purchasable from the crown furnishings tab in houses, or things from the luxury furnisher from the season before the current season (so for the reapers crates, it would be stuff that was in the luxury vendor while the wild hunt crates were being sold), as well as perhaps a furnishing of a crown crate. "I got a crown crate from my crown crate." Minor themed items are also possible, related to the season. Autumn (in the northern hemisphere anyhow) could include cornucopias, fall-leaf decorations, carved pumpkins, bushels of grain, apple trees, baskets of treats, and other minor things that add to the theme/season of the crate.

As it is right now, common/fine items are basically trash, or used just for gems. Put minor items in there that people actually want, and happiness with the crates would likely increase.
    @Zhaedri PC NA

• TonyRockaroni
    TonyRockaroni
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think ALL of the common and fine rewards should be removed. The food and potions? Yes, I would love to see those go. However, things like soul gems, mimic stones, and riding skills on the other hand, I actually do use those. Everything else in the common and fine items? I just turn those into gems.
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I use some or all of the COMMON rewards
    The mimic stones are nice I guess. But everything else is utterly useless as the equivalents for gold or crafting cost pretty much nothing.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crown crates gone all together is the correct answer.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use the XP scrolls, the riding skills, and the mimic stones. Everything else, in my opinion, is junk and I would like to see them removed.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • bebynnag
    bebynnag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both the COMMON and FINE rewards should be removed or changed

i dont agree with buffing crown store consumables to make them BIS as there lies actual P2W that we surley do not want

i imagine that for a brand new player these are actually a nice introduction to the benefit of using food/potions/poisons as long as they realise that these items are available in game for in game currency and dont begin to depend on the crown store/crown crate versions

but changed to include items that may be more useful to a wider group of players, or even items that brand new players would find useful such as soul gems, repair kits because at the moment they are just auto converted to gems for me & most people i know

• Horowonnoe
    Horowonnoe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the consumables are a ripoff imo. I would prefer lesser cosmetic items instead of potions etc such as tattoos or small furniture or - yes dye stamps. The consumables alone are making me never wanting to buy a crate again. What rubbish.
    PC / NA
    Templar Healer "False Eye"
    Sorc Healer "Potema the Wolf Queen"
    Warden Healer "Heavy Attacks Online"
    Magicka Nightblade DPS "Nephaleth Telvanni"
    Dragonknight Tank "Nico's Facsimile"

Builds & Guides:
    Horow's Templar Healer Guide for Trials (Murkmire updated)
    How to get Felms to jump correctly in vAS HM?
    Horow's vMA Magicka Sorc Build for beginners and lazy farmers
    Horow's Magicka Sorc Triple Pet Heavy Attack Build - Summerset Isles Ready
    More builds at anthem-guild.com/pve/.

Notable Achievements:
    - World's first 18 Axes vAA clear
    - World's first 20+ enrage stack Llothis in vAS HM and World record cone damage
  • FoolishHuman
    FoolishHuman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People don't understand the concept of these boxes and that you are supposed to get mostly items you can't use... This will never be changed, if anything be prepared for more consumables or the exchange rate for gems being reduced in the future.
  • Neirymn
    Neirymn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't care anymore about anything related to crown crates, I wasn't a fan of it but I actually liked the mini-game when I knew I could eventually have enough gems to buy something I really want but since I have no guarantee to get the super rare mounts, no more crates for me, no more extra crown packs either, I'll be just fine with my ESO+ crowns and all that money saved up for creation club stuff in Skyrim. :)

If they remove or buff consummables, it won't make me buy crates again anyway. I'll leave it to those able or willing to spend/waste their money on it. It's only cosmetics so far but if they buff the food and drinks, I won't consider the Crown Store being fair anymore but, instead, getting closer to pay to win.
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    One of the statements made by the devs when this clown crate stuff started was the items in the crates would never be better than what the crafters could make.

This statement is why they had to come up with the mythical aetherial ambrosia, and add the recipe and ingredients to the game. [although it did take them long enough to actually have the stuff drop in game, but that is a whole other issue....that they finally hotfixed when they realized that it hadn't been added to the loot drops]

Really don't need them to start the run down the slippery slope to pay to win.

Not to mention the only items you are guaranteed to get, and allegedly are buying the clown crates for, are the consumables.... At least that is what the original announcement said.

This Thursday, we'll be introducing the first season of Crown Crates to the ESO Crown Store. Crown Crates are purchased through the Crown Store, and contain a randomized selection of useful consumables and collectibles that are valued more than the price of a single crate. In addition, they also offer a chance to obtain unique cosmetic items, pets, or mounts. Crown Crates include new and exclusive items, as well as some items you might have missed in previous limited time offers.

https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/25871
  • Apherius
    Apherius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    if they buff common reward at the point they would be better than ingame items ... this will make the game P2W. It's fact , doesn't matter what you have to say about that. a way to be better than other player (even if it's 1% difference ) with Irl money ... is P2W.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I use both the COMMON and FINE rewards
    Well, Crown Crates are how I "buy" mimic stone for Master Writs, and I do use some of the costumes, I often like them more than the "superior" ones. I convert all the potions, foods, scrolls, etc. If I get a lot of riding lessons I might use them on a low level alt, but 1-2 isn't really worth it.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on September 30, 2017 5:16PM
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't use any COMMON rewards and they should be removed or buffed
    The only things I use are the riding lessons, and occasionally one of the experience scrolls. Everything else on those tiers are trash to me.
    I only use the lower-level XP scrolls, though. The higher-tier ones get traded for gems. I hate that they include XP scrolls in the gold and purple tiers, and hate even more that the drop rate for them is high. Heck with that. It means you can never get excited when you see that you've gotten a gold or purple card, because there's a good chance it's one of those stupid XP scrolls.

Edited by SydneyGrey on September 30, 2017 10:01PM
  • Ekadzati
    Ekadzati
    ✭✭✭
    This poll is basically a survey, and I hope ZoS utilise the information provided to make informed changes in the Crown Crate store.

If you use the COMMON elixirs, potions + poisons, state in the comments which ones you use and in what capacity (PvE/PvP etc).

If you use the FINE riding skills, food/drinks, xp scroll, repair kit, soul gem, again state in the comments which ones.

<3

In all candor, I mostly use those items to get gems for the items I REALLY want... and I suspect ZOS knows precisely this is the case (and likely plans it that way to drive crate purchase).

THAT said, the striation and interplay of gems/crowns/my hard earned $$$ is more "gougy" than I prefer and since I perceive the RNG is a full on hater for us all when it comes to "minimum required investment" to reap desired reward(s), this will likely be my last seasonal crown crate purchase.

And since I KNOW that cannot be ZOS intention, my hope is that saying so here may place a little bit of weight on the "please reconsider this" side of the scale for this topic.

If not, no matter, it's not like they're hurting me by saving me money. ;)
    Registration date: November 2013
    Geek since 1974.
    Girl Gamer since 1976.
    Granny since 2014.
    Gut shooter since forever.
    Don't say you weren't warned.
    (Now where's my cane and why are you on my lawn?)

• Imza
    Imza
    ✭✭✭✭
    I use the crown store repair kits in dungeons after retrying to kill that last boss for the umpteenth time...

I used one research time reduction for all 3 research types...

that's it... the rest was respec'd for gems

When I get enough gems - and the right item is in the store.... I may spend them
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't voted, but will post instead.

All those items you list are available on their own in the store and are found in various starter bundles. Which are likely bought by the same people who go on to buy crates. So they won't remove them, as enough of the crate buyers have used them previously at some point. Maybe the same people who buy my spare lockpicks in stacks of 200?

It's no different to the old fashioned lucky dip at the school fair. Except that you might get something really nice, and you can trade them back for gems to buy something really nice. They actually need those items in there for the more desirable things to stand out as such.
  • Keldheir
    Keldheir
    ✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes keep the xp scrolls. Everything else gets cashed in for gems.
    PC EU
  • kratier
    kratier
    ✭✭✭✭
    nope, its pure trash, instantly turned into gems
    wish there were better things, better or actually useful items dispensed
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two words: Crown Gems

...and then use the gems to buy what I really want.
    ...and if they sold gem packs instead of gamble boxes, I'd buy gems directly to get what I want.
  • Defilted
    Defilted
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't use them. No they will not remove them. There needs to be crap rewards for the system to work.
    XBOX NA
    XBOX Series X

#NightmareBear
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rewards of those tiers are just crown gems disguised as items. It's more appealing to people to see lots of small items instead of 1 item + crown gems. There are a certain amount of people that will use many of those items and even actively buy things like soul gems from the gem store but I suspect those people are very bad at math.

I don't necessarily think they need to be removed or buffed, but it is insulting to be "rewarded" with items that are trying to trick me into using them when I can easily get better versions in game for significantly less effort/cost.
  • iiYuki
    iiYuki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the food and potions should be gone pure and simple. I like the exp scrolls, riding books and mimic stones and would be FAR happier getting more of those in its place, the food and potions could then stay as gem bought items. Its only like furniture items, an item costing 300 crowns can be often bought for a few k gold.
    "Play how you want... unless its not how we intended you to play in which case we'll nerf it".
    - ZO$

- The ZO$ Theme Song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmUJWP_ebsQ
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than Riding Lessons for new Alts or Crown Repair Kits for faster repairs, all the consumables I get from crates are converted to Gems.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Slurg wrote: »
    I'm not voting because I don't want them buffed to be better than in-game items. How many people really want these gamble box consumables to be better than the ones you can craft?

Just take that junk out of the loot table entirely or give it a much higher gem exchange amount so people feel like they're getting something they can use for their money. And then maybe a few of us won't consider the gamble boxes such a rip off.

I wholeheartedly agree that nothing in the crown store/crates should be better than crafted. I don't gamble on these, though, so I can't really vote. But, I can say that I have exchanged ALL consumables that I could (excepting mimic stones) from my free crates (both the 6 from the previous season and the three from this season). It's crap I definitely would NEVER use.

That said, I doubt they'd every remove these, as it's the filler they need to keep the drop rates low on the things people do actually want. They still need to be able to say that everyone wins "something" from these crates. And the cost of one crate (400 crowns) is about what it would cost for some of the consumables packs in the store, so they can say that no one "loses" from gambling on these - they always win something. Whether they want it or not or would actually purchase it outright isn't the point. The point is that people always get something so that it's not like gambling in Vegas, where you can lose it all and end up with nothing in return.

Remember - these crates are NOT designed to give players what they want. They are designed for people to keep spending more money than they actually would if the items were sold at direct cost. Sure, it's fine to get some tattoos or cosmetics you would never purchase but you don't hate - it makes you feel like you're getting something good rather than just consumables. At the end of the day, they aren't going to change this system in the players' favor, since these are designed with one goal in mind - to generate revenue.
  • Ekadzati
    Ekadzati
    ✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    Slurg wrote: »
    Remember - these crates are NOT designed to give players what they want. They are designed for people to keep spending more money than they actually would if the items were sold at direct cost. Sure, it's fine to get some tattoos or cosmetics you would never purchase but you don't hate - it makes you feel like you're getting something good rather than just consumables. At the end of the day, they aren't going to change this system in the players' favor, since these are designed with one goal in mind - to generate revenue.

^^^ This.

Insightful bit of internal thinking from another game company on how all this works: https://youtu.be/xNjI03CGkb4

Related information:

https://www.gamecareerguide.com/features/975/operant_conditioning_in_.php

https://www.intelligenteconomist.com/economics-of-microtransactions/

https://www.intelligenteconomist.com/free-microtransactions-ebook/
    Registration date: November 2013
    Geek since 1974.
    Girl Gamer since 1976.
    Granny since 2014.
    Gut shooter since forever.
    Don't say you weren't warned.
    (Now where's my cane and why are you on my lawn?)

• Finedaible
    Finedaible
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They are all gem-fodder. The only "fine" item I may consider using are Riding Lessons scrolls, because we are stuck with this purposely-flawed mount system (which is by design to get peeps to spend money on mount upgrades).
  • Michae
    Michae
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't buy crown crates, I bought two dwarven packs back in the day and got disappointed badly. Now I only use gems I got for free to buy some emotes or costumes when I like them enough.

Nobody (or almost nobody) buys crown crates for those consumables, it's all fluff to pad out the list and decrease the odds of getting the cosmetics. I'm practically swimming in crown scrolls, potions, drinks and foods we get from daily rewards, I really don't need more of them. Riding lessons are selling a solution to a problem that devs made up and in grand scheme of things are useless too. So my vote would be on removing the unnecessary fluff or even removing rng crates in general. Just let us buy the cosmetics we want instead of locking them behind this convoluted and unfair nonsense.
    Edited by Michae on July 30, 2019 3:09PM
    "I bear the cruel weight of certainty. Total, absolute, relentless certainty. People rarely comprehend the luxury of doubt... the freedom that comes with indecision. I envy you."
    Sotha Sil

@Michae PC/EU