Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.0 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Removal of WP/SP Damage from Maelstrom Weapons - Please Reconsider

GrumpyDuckling
GrumpyDuckling
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
VMA is the least amount of fun I have ever had while playing this game, but I played it until I was able to acquire the specific reward weapons necessary to make the build I wanted for my Nightblade:

1 pc Kra'gh
1 pc Velidreth
5 pc Spriggan
3 pc Agility
1 pc Maelstrom Dagger (Sharpened)
1 pc Maelstrom Dagger (Precise)
1 pc Maelstrom Bow (Precise)

After reading the PTS notes for Clockwork City, I came across the following Developer comment concerning Maelstrom weapon changes:
"Due to the fact these items [Maelstrom weapons] can now be enchanted or poisoned normally, their extraneous stat bonuses have been removed. For example, the Maelstrom’s Greatsword no longer adds 189 Weapon Damage on top of the modifier to Critical Charge."

I labored through/grinded VMA to create the above build in large part because of the weapon damage bonuses that Maelstrom weapons have. VMA wasn't fun but I did it for the rewards, and now the main reason I pursued those rewards is being removed. Devs, please allow us to retain the weapon/spell damage on Maelstrom weapons. If this PTS change makes it to live then it's going to feel like a huge middle finger to all that time spent grinding VMA.
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭
    The crit charge modifier will remain, as well as the sharpened trait. You will just need to enchant a weapon glyph on the weapon after the patch goes live.
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    use crafted Shackle breaker weapons, boom you have the weapon damage again.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

129 weapon damage from 2 Shacklebreaker Daggers.
    188 weapon damage from 2 Maelstrom Daggers that I already spent a lot of time grinding for.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, do reconsider that change makes these weapon pretty much useless.
    Invictus
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

No thats not how it... No... WHAT?!

@ZOS_RichLambert We already have enough stupid stuff why is this happening too, vMA weapons are supposed to be better not just because of the effect
    Edited by NyassaV on September 27, 2017 8:33PM
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

129 weapon damage from 2 Shacklebreaker Daggers.
    188 weapon damage from 2 Maelstrom Daggers that I already spent a lot of time grinding for.

Fine then, use shacklebreaker daggers and use a power glyph and then you have even more weapon damage.
    Anyways the game changes, the devs apparently want to put more emphasis on the skill modifying part of these weapons. This might also be a way of fixing the weapons providing the stat bonus when poisons were equiped. Either way this is the will of the devs, adapt and overcome. This is coming from a guy that has full golded bsw, scathing, several nirn staves, nirn swords, sharpened swords, and other outdated gear that used to be good.
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭
    Guys the special enchant remains.....the only thing you need to do is enchant your malstrom weapons with a weapon damage glyph...boom you get your damage back. Before you could not enchant the maelstrom or master weapons with out losing the special enchant. Now we get to keep the special enchant and then add another that we choose on top of it. Such as poison, weapon damage, yadda yadda. In the case of the maelstrom sword..it will retain its crit rush buff, the you can use an enchant of your choosing..this is actually a buff to the weapons.
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭
    It will also retain the trait such as sharpened or infused, but with the transmutation system. Traits dont matter you can make them whatever you want
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Guys the special enchant remains.....the only thing you need to do is enchant your malstrom weapons with a weapon damage glyph...boom you get your damage back. Before you could not enchant the maelstrom or master weapons with out losing the special enchant. Now we get to keep the special enchant and then add another that we choose on top of it. Such as poison, weapon damage, yadda yadda. In the case of the maelstrom sword..it will retain its crit rush buff, the you can use an enchant of your choosing..this is actually a buff to the weapons.

The problem is they weren't using the weapons for the skill modifier effect but just for the flat stat bonuses.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

the problem is few people use maelstrom weapons for the skill buff, they use it only for the stat bonus especially in PvP. so yes, this is a massive nerf to Maelstrom weapons, a nerf that puts them in the obsolete category.

a big *** you to everyone who spent hours farming VMA.
    Edited by Lucky28 on September 27, 2017 9:08PM
    Invictus
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭
    I understand that aspect...everyone does..they took away the stock weapon damage enchant..yes that sucks..we can just put it back in like any other weapon. If they wanted flat stat bonus they shouldve just crafted an infused dagger with a weapon damage enchant..The point a maelstrom weapon is to boost your class spammable skill damage not weapon damage..that was just a perk. Either way your not losing anything.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I understand that aspect...everyone does..they took away the stock weapon damage enchant..yes that sucks..we can just put it back in like any other weapon. If they wanted flat stat bonus they shouldve just crafted an infused dagger with a weapon damage enchant..The point a maelstrom weapon is to boost your class spammable skill damage not weapon damage..that was just a perk. Either way your not losing anything.

yeah you are. you're losing Maelstrom weapons as an actual viable choice for any form of competitive play, be it PvE or PvP. the change may seem small but it puts these weapons at the bottom of the barrel.
    Invictus
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Buffed except if your looking to gain both weapon damage on top of a poison. Poison builds nerf... nicee...
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chrlynsch wrote: »
    Buffed except if your looking to gain both weapon damage on top of a poison. Poison builds nerf... nicee...

The poisons working with maelstrom weapons was an obvious bug.
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Chrlynsch wrote: »

The poisons working with maelstrom weapons was an obvious bug.

The difference between bug and feature is really foggy when something is part of the game for nearly year and half. Calling it bug is opinion at that point. Obvious bug just stupidity.
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Nope.

You have to proc weapon damage glyph, and it has a cooldown. This is a nerf.
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky28 wrote: »

yeah you are. you're losing Maelstrom weapons as an actual viable choice for any form of competitive play, be it PvE or PvP. the change may seem small but it puts these weapons at the bottom of the barrel.

What are you talking about? Did you not read anything i just posted? Or the patch notes? You lose 180 something spell damage...PUT A WEAPON DAMAGE ENCHANT BACK ON IT!!!!!! You arent losing anything!!! You actually gain..if all you wanted was weapon damage why would you waste your time farming maelstrom? Maelstrom weapons are special because they boost SKILL damage. Besides like I said 3 times before you can enchant the weapon with a WEAPON DAMAGE GLYPH to retain the stats your looking for as well as keeping the original special enchant. All they did was give more variety as far as enchant customization.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new changes to the weapon. May be a boon. Different enchants can be used and berserker isn't far from the WD/SD the weapons provide now.

Have to really see how it tests out.

I see the person who posted before me brought up tha reality that it's the special "set bonus" from those weapons that really make them rock.
    Edited by idk on September 27, 2017 9:44PM
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

What are you talking about? Did you not read anything i just posted? Or the patch notes? You lose 180 something spell damage...PUT A WEAPON DAMAGE ENCHANT BACK ON IT!!!!!! You arent losing anything!!! You actually gain..if all you wanted was weapon damage why would you waste your time farming maelstrom? Maelstrom weapons are special because they boost SKILL damage. Besides like I said 3 times before you can enchant the weapon with a WEAPON DAMAGE GLYPH to retain the stats your looking for as well as keeping the original special enchant. All they did was give more variety as far as enchant customization.

Do you know how much is weapon damage enchant? 348 damage for 5 seconds after light attack. With 5sec of nothing after it (you can pretend it is 174 damage overall).
    VMA enchant is 189 all the time. Without activation. Even with poisons.

Sure, go argue how the change is good/bad overall but stop pushing to people with your ideas without having clue why they were used. People unable to think about this are starting to annoy me more than the change.
    Edited by SodanTok on September 27, 2017 9:52PM
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I don't think you're understanding what you're saying so I'm going to lay it out like this:

BEFORE: The way Maelstrom weapons work now you get BOTH the wp/sp damage + the skill enchant.

AFTER: Removing the wp/sp damage and forcing the user to use a wp damage glyph lowers total damage because getting the damage requires procs (aka not 100% uptime).
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously you did not consider the buff to the infused trait in which case you will be provided with the 348 weapon damage, up from the previous 180ish damage you got from the original tooltip. You also get the reduction of cool down to the point you can have very good uptime considering your rotation.
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭
    SodanTok wrote: »

Do you know how much is weapon damage enchant? 348 damage for 5 seconds after light attack. With 5sec of nothing after it (you can pretend it is 174 damage overall).
    VMA enchant is 189 all the time. Without activation. Even with poisons.

Sure, go argue how the change is good/bad overall but stop pushing to people with your ideas without having clue why they were used. People unable to think about this are starting to annoy me more than the change.

These are not ideas. They come from the actual pts notes and the people currently testing the changes on youtube.
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless the changes are made and done get over yoyrself gentleman
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no one gives a *** about the special enchantment is the issue here, it's bad. i don't use wall of element, i don't use endless hail those skills suck particularly in PvP. and even in PvE with these changes you're better off ditching maelstrom weapons for another 5 pc set. i don't even know why this is being argued, this is not a buff of any kind to anyone regardless of build. if this change goes live maelstrom weapons are done, period.
    Invictus
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭

no one gives a *** about the special enchantment is the issue here, it's bad. i don't use wall of element, i don't use endless hail those skills suck particularly in PvP. and even in PvE with these changes you're better off ditching maelstrom weapons for another 5 pc set. i don't even know why this is being argued, this is not a buff of any kind to anyone regardless of build. if this change goes live maelstrom weapons are done, period.

Vdsa bow is great for the skill modifier in PvP. So that's at least one useful weapon modifier.
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭

If you dont use those skills why are you using a maelstrom staff? A flat 180 spell damage increase?
  • Bislobo
    Bislobo
    ✭✭✭
    Dude they want us to buy their DLC. That is why Asylum weapons will be bis even for pvpers... Nerfing VMA weapons was part of the plan.
    Edited by Bislobo on September 27, 2017 10:46PM
    Redguard Dragonknight - Bislobo
    Orc Nightblade - Bislobø
    Redguard Sorcerer - Bisłobo
    Imperial Templar - Bíslobo
    Altmer Sorcerer - Bisløbo
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you dont use those skills why are you using a maelstrom staff? A flat 180 spell damage increase?

yes with willpower/agility or another 3 pc set. i am using maelstrom weapons for that stat buff no other reason so are many other players. maelstrom weapons are defined by the stat buff for a lot of players.
    Edited by Lucky28 on September 27, 2017 10:39PM
    Invictus
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭
    Its simple guys. They are making it to where we get 80 to 100% uptime with the infused trait. Making maelstrom weapons enchantable while retaining the special properties. Along with the ability to make a trash staff or weapon any trait we want with the transmutation system. If you farmed a maelstrom staff that has the wall of elements enchant and dont use it for pvp..you should've farmed the master staff for the destructive reach enchant. Even if you dont get the staff that you want..you can make it whatever you want it to be. We all want the most damage and the bis gear. I am not against anyone on the post including the OP. You can decon your malstrom weapons if you want. I will keep mine and make it even more bad***. 80% uptime on an infused staff with over 400 spell damage i will take anyday over a constant 180 something piece of crap enchant. Good Day
  • xiZeroPointix
    xiZeroPointix
    ✭✭✭
    You can now have a nirnhoned maelstrom weapon guys........