Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Learning to solo - where to start? What to do? How to improve survival?

Bam_Bam
Bam_Bam
✭✭✭✭✭
Hello. I've recently moved from Sotha Sil EU PC to Vivec EU PC. I've left my old guild on Sotha Sil (Thank you Decimation Elite - it was a blast!) and I'm look for a brand new challenge on a CP campaign - Vivec.

More importantly, I really want to try and improve my capability as a solo and small scale PvPer. However, where to start? I've tried to solo in the past but inevitiably, get drawn back to the huge fights.

I'm looking for input from players who have made the transition from large to small scale PvP (dsclaimer - not interested in duellers or BGs as they are an entirely different thing compared to the live, blood and guts of Cyrodiil. I completely respect your individual play styles but real, live PvP is what makes me tick).

Do you make big changes to how you gear up? your CPoints? food? potions?

Are there any areas in Cyrodiil that you would recommend to beginner soloers? What sort of fights should you pick as a beginner soloer (disclaimer: "easy ones" is NOT a valid answer. lmao)

What do you know now that you wish you had known when YOU started soloing?

Please, if you decide to answer, stay on topic and stay relevant - I'd like this to become a useful thing for other people who want to try soloing.
Joined January 2014
PC EU - PvE & BGs & PvP (Vivec)
Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
Lims Kragm'a
Bam Bam Bara
  • Biro123
    Biro123
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've pretty much always solo'd - but I hate the whole running around a rock playstyle, so I tend to stick where the keeps/resources are.

Its very rare that a 1v1 happens. Its rare that a 1v2(or3) happens where I can do anything more than just hold em off til more (from whichever side) come to play. But small(ish) scale around resource (<10 v <10) and large-scale around keeps are pretty common. Ans sticking close to the contested locations means plenty of action. Sometimes you're outnumbered - sometimes there are plenty of friendlies with the same idea and some nice fights can occur of all sizes.

It means you can't really go on the offensive though unless you tag on to the back of a zerg for a bit and go where they go - but you are VERY flexible when it comes to reacting quickly defensively. Then the most valuable thing you can do in that respect is intel.

You don't have to be alone to solo - an your group-chat becomes the whole zone chat!

That's how I play anyway. I get a lot of combat of a lot of different types and scales.. I have the freedom to just go somewhere else if I don't like what's going on (eg its ball-group farmers, or someone mistforming in circles around a rock..) - without letting the group down in any way, shape of form.
    It works for me, and its what I enjoy - but then I don't have the patience for ganking, going deep into enemy lines, kiting for miles... etc.. Those playstyles are fine too - just not for me. I'm usually found right at the front lines of a large-scale battle. I'm there because that's where I want to be - And I don't have to worry about a group-leader telling me to be somewhere else..

You may find it quite liberating!
    Edited by Biro123 on September 13, 2017 4:05PM
    Minalan owes me a beer.

PC EU Megaserver
    Minie Mo - Stam/Magblade - DC
    Woody Ron - Stamplar - DC
    Aidee - Magsorc - DC
    Notadorf - Stamsorc - DC
    Khattman Doo - Stamblade - Relegated to Crafter, cos AD.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best bet is to look for a mentor on your server and work with them.

The key things you need as a solo player are.

Self reliance- you have to bring everything you need for any engagement all packed into your build. You'll need healing, mitigation, mobility, and burst damage.

Positioning - often times as a solo player being caught in a bad position means you will die. Always be aware of los and tactical positions such as chokes or cliffs.

Timing and target priorities- knowing when and who to burst to get timely kills is at the core of solo play, often times you're simply trying to stay alive while putting out a bit of damage until your burst window comes up then you get a quick kill and repeat.

Patience - you're gonna die a lot

Luck- in the current meta you're gonna need a lot of it to have large success as a solo player.

For a small group, imo, it's all about finding people you enjoy playing with and working together to find setups as a group that allow you to take on as large a variety of situations as possible. My personal playstyle is to always build a build that can handle its own survivability while bringing as many other benefits to the group as possible(trans, resto ultis, troll king, SPC, etc)
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 13, 2017 4:10PM
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is a dirty little secret about solo players that I'll let you in on ... they don't REALLY exist.

For example, I've logged thousands of hours in PVP. For every 1 hour I've spent in a large group at least 2 involve me running by myself. I have plenty of Cyrodiil solo street cred. Yet still, aside from soloing resources (the single best thing IMO a solo player can do for the greater good) or being a text chat scout your soloing options end up being either ganking, Zerg surfing, or boredom.

Ganking can be fun and useful but if you're the guy who just spends all day under the bridge trying to troll people into fighting you 1v1 above a lake of slaughter fish then you're not helping.

Zerg surfing, meanwhile, is what most solo players end up doing. Not because they are looking to do it but because most players who are good enough to solo also know how to read the map and identify the exact place to go for the next fight. The amount of times I've seen the exact same people at Bleakers and then 5 minutes later across the map at Allessia numbers in the thousands. No one needed to say "go to Allessia" because all the good solo players always knew to do it. So before long you're just back in a Zerg.

Of course the third option is just to wait in the wilderness for a random. That's just boring and helping no one.

• Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't really run solo in PvP anymore - too much has changed as ZOS has drastically rebalanced PvP for group play. You'll get slaughtered very easily.

Sure, if you are highly skilled player with an OP build and you find a group of low CP noobie players, there is a chance you can probably 1vX them. However, 90% of your time will be spent running away, capturing resources, and riding back to Alessia Bridge after getting zerged. It's not an enjoyable play style unless you REALLY like riding mounts. This is why no one does it anymore. Overtime you'll realize how dull it is to constantly run solo in PvP.

If you want advice for becoming as good a solo player as possible for PVP, I recommend finding a strong build and then running in a small group and/or dueling people to build your experience. There is so much to look out for in PvP that it's tough to help you. The best thing I can say is that damage shields are great against 1-2 decent players, but against more blocking is 100% the way to go and the only way to survive without being melted asap.
  • utb99
    utb99
    ✭✭✭
    The towns around Cyrodiil like Bruma are a good starting point for soloing. You'll need to wait, but eventually small groups or other solo players will come.

Stay away from Keeps, Outposts and the Bridge if you're starting out. You'll get swarmed.

When you're between a flagged Keep and an enemy one where they're respawning, don't stand in the middle. Be a bit aside and draw them to you.

Open field 1vXs are super dope and 5x as cool as 1vXs with Line of Sight but are 10x as hard.

You'll die..... a lot.
    'The gods can turn anything to good' -Martin Septim
  • TarrNokk
    TarrNokk
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best solo pvp you can get is imperial city including sewers. There are most of the time small groups of 2-5 and many solo players. If you are into small scale you will be rewarded with finest guerilla feeling.
  • the_broo11
    the_broo11
    ✭✭✭
    @Lexxypwns covered the majority of it. Good stuff there, so I'd definitely take note @Baranthus.

If you're not running immovable pots, definitely switch to these. Make sure you have alchemy at 50 and points into the passive for increased effect duration (can't recall the name offhand).

I'd suggest running in 2-4 man groups before going solo. Preferably with one more players who are experienced in this environment. Pay attention to how they fight. If they're getting focused, CC the enemies and throw a heal at them. If they're focusing a target, join in and focus fire the same person. If they're pulling back from the crowd, you do the same.

The main reason I suggest small group before solo is so that you can learn your limits. This is a lot easier when you have teammates to cover you if you try to take on too much and get overwhelmed.

The secondary objective is to learn how to fight effectively with allies. There will be many situations where, amidst the chaos, you end up in a 2vX with another solo player. Succeeding in this environment can be one of the most satisfying feelings, and is a great way to earn respect amongst solo/small scalers.
    Xbox One NA
    GT: the broo11
    Spell Casting Wizard - medium 2h/bow stam sorc
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a dirty little secret about solo players that I'll let you in on ... they don't REALLY exist.

For example, I've logged thousands of hours in PVP. For every 1 hour I've spent in a large group at least 2 involve me running by myself. I have plenty of Cyrodiil solo street cred. Yet still, aside from soloing resources (the single best thing IMO a solo player can do for the greater good) or being a text chat scout your soloing options end up being either ganking, Zerg surfing, or boredom.

Ganking can be fun and useful but if you're the guy who just spends all day under the bridge trying to troll people into fighting you 1v1 above a lake of slaughter fish then you're not helping.

Zerg surfing, meanwhile, is what most solo players end up doing. Not because they are looking to do it but because most players who are good enough to solo also know how to read the map and identify the exact place to go for the next fight. The amount of times I've seen the exact same people at Bleakers and then 5 minutes later across the map at Allessia numbers in the thousands. No one needed to say "go to Allessia" because all the good solo players always knew to do it. So before long you're just back in a Zerg.

Of course the third option is just to wait in the wilderness for a random. That's just boring and helping no one.

I follow the main lines, then shift to the sides/rez lanes to force 1vX to help out the pugs. At score tick I'll try to move to a resorces to help the faction.

Tbh the line fights are what makes the game fun; no tiring/burn out guild fights, no coordinated zergling, no TS "drop ulti now!", just watching the map and what's on your screen. Only going to quick rez locations = more consistent PvP.

Anything else takes too much work and makes the game a job instead of a fun hobby. Once it crosses that line, no game will ever be fun.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you see one side making a big push, take a resource in their back field, (should be easy task if you build is up to soloing). While everyone is on the front lines, you'll get a trickle of one or two players who come out to investigate. Good practice. Likewise, if you can read the map, (required skill for solo players), camp out at a resource you know will get attacked and pick off enemy scouts or other solo/small groups doing the above. If you have a fast build, you maybe able to "taunt" 1 or 2 players from the zerg to chase you far from the group. (Also need better resource management than your target). Finally, you can sit at a choke point to a keep under attack and gank "solos" trying to ride back or reinforce. You'll need either quick burst or a spot you can kite them away to to avoid getting overrun.

And as always, your mileage may vary.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was a solo player for a very long time. I ended up gaining recognition from other players due to my knowledge and access to 10 different characters geared toward PvP.

There is no real starting point, you just go where you want since you're your own master.

AP gains will be lower, but once you've mastered your rotation, spacial awareness, etc. it'll gradually go up.
    Do you make big changes to how you gear up? your CPoints? food? potions?

Only you can answer this. Play those questions by how the game feels-patch-after patch-after patch. For example;

Stamplar had good penetration with her 2h Weap pre-HoTR. Post-HoTR, i did some testing out in the wilds, and found the build needed more to feel better. 3,000 gold and reallocated more points to penetration and the build is closely back to where it was pre HoTR.
    Positioning - often times as a solo player being caught in a bad position means you will die. Always be aware of los and tactical positions such as chokes or cliffs.

What Lexxy mentions here is very important. Over the 4 years I've played in Cyrodiil, I NEVER EVER throw away GOOD positioning.

I had the unfortunate? chance that I got crown for a very tightly-nit 16-man group farming Bleakers this past weekend. We had 40-60 blues coming in and our usual crown disconnected. The first thing I told every one is; "Get on crown right now, we're going to wipe if we're not together, and moving as a unit." The heat inside bleakers, was so hot, I couldn't switch crown off it was that high stakes. I had to lead in that 3-4 minutes, and keep everyone alive AND fighting while crown was able to log back on.

Put that situation into perspective for a sec, if I had botched crown, our sweet AP farm would have ended. There is a lot of effort put into opening up bleakers, getting there, keeping the place on lock down, and keeping red/blue disorganized enough that they can't single us out. It would poopoo on all of that effort.
    Edited by Takes-No-Prisoner on September 13, 2017 5:15PM
  • Thogard
    Thogard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm admittedly not the greatest but I can make some decent AP and usually take on a few foes at a time if they aren't particularly skilled. Here are some observations:

1. Your mount. You need speed, but more importantly, horse stamina capped out. This will allow you to "buzz" a Zerg and bait a few into chasing you without worrying about getting knocked down. You cannot be CCd while your horse still has stamina.
    2. Your build. If you want to start 1vXing, you need to be able to survive some damage and to totally mitigate burst damage. Most people do this by running heal / trollking builds, block builds, or mobility builds and LoSing enemies.
    3. Your server. Sotha has more "low skilled" players. I'm not saying that the average sotha player is worse than Vivec, but if you want to practice you should do it on sotha IMO.
    4. Your targets and location. This is BY FAR the most important part. All it takes to ruin your 1vX is for one good player to add onto a fight and smack you with a defile + dawnbreaker.

Especially in the beginning, you will really want to focus on fighting low-skilled opponents. These won't be "easy" fights because they usually come in groups... As you get better, you can try to 1vX better players, but when you're starting out trying to win 1v4s and 1v5s you really want to be fighting the bottom of the barrel. To do this, you'll have to put yourself in a place where you can get a few of them at a time, but not so many that you'll be overrun. This is tricky because the bottom of the barrel players tend to be zerglings, and they usually come in packages much larger than 4 or 5....

So you really want to go after the ones that have wandered away from the herd. In my experience, the best way to do this is to
    1. find out where the offensive Zerg is (look for one of your own keeps on fire)
    2. Find out where the offensive Zerg' nearest portal keep is
    3. Imagine you just logged on as a member of the enemy Zerg and you needed to get to your fellow zerglings from that portal keep.. what route would you take?
    4. Position yourself on their path to their zerg, preferably near some terrain you can LoS around
    5. Once you start fighting, immediately start pulling your opponent (or getting them to chase you) away from the zerg path. Initially, this isn't to LoS them, but to prevent additional adds from seeing you easily as more zerglings try to join the Zerg
    6. If it's a group of four or more traveling together, always let all of them pass and then attack the last one. 90% of them won't look behind themselves and you can slowly move up the line ganking them until they all turn to fight you. When this happens, repeat step 5.
    7. Practice practice practice!
    8. Watch the realm war map! You need to get a sense of where the Zerg is, and more importantly, where they'll be! Sometimes they double back to defend a keep a third alliance is taking, and you really don't want to be in the middle of a 1v3 when you get steamrolled by 50 angry teabaggers
    Edited by Thogard on September 13, 2017 5:43PM
    PC NA - @dazkt - Dazk Ardoonkt / Sir Thogalot / Dask Dragoh’t / Dazk Dragoh’t / El Thogardo

Stream: twitch.tv/THOGARDvsThePeasants
    YouTube: http://youtube.com/c/thogardpvp

• THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

I follow the main lines, then shift to the sides/rez lanes to force 1vX to help out the pugs. At score tick I'll try to move to a resorces to help the faction.

Tbh the line fights are what makes the game fun; no tiring/burn out guild fights, no coordinated zergling, no TS "drop ulti now!", just watching the map and what's on your screen. Only going to quick rez locations = more consistent PvP.

Anything else takes too much work and makes the game a job instead of a fun hobby. Once it crosses that line, no game will ever be fun.

100% all of this.
    driosketch wrote: »
    If you see one side making a big push, take a resource in their back field, (should be easy task if you build is up to soloing). While everyone is on the front lines, you'll get a trickle of one or two players who come out to investigate. Good practice. Likewise, if you can read the map, (required skill for solo players), camp out at a resource you know will get attacked and pick off enemy scouts or other solo/small groups doing the above. If you have a fast build, you maybe able to "taunt" 1 or 2 players from the zerg to chase you far from the group. (Also need better resource management than your target). Finally, you can sit at a choke point to a keep under attack and gank "solos" trying to ride back or reinforce. You'll need either quick burst or a spot you can kite them away to to avoid getting overrun.

And as always, your mileage may vary.

Another set of good points. It should be noted that if you're gonna try to solo you better be able to fulfill each part of the DPS-Tank-Heal trinity at a moments notice. My entire build is basically an amalgamation of defenses for everything that ever annoyed me.

If you can think of a situation that will come up and you can't reasonably see your character performing at a "B" level in that situation then you'll have some sort of exploitable gap in your build. For evidence of this go look at the current "nerf soul assault" thread.

A significant majority of the anti-SA group are all in medium armor which has a terrible weakness versus channeled abilities due to dodge rolling not being a proper defense to it. Many people got so invested in their super fun DPS medium armor build that they failed to recognize the one button counter to it that any magic character can slot.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    One other thing. Accept failure before you start. If you're not camping resources, 90% of the time you'll have to disenagage a fight or die and you need to know going into solo play that it's going to happen.

You also need to realize that your opponents aren't the bad guys just for outnumbering you, when YOU make a choice to fight outnumbered then you don't get to criticize people for outnumbering you.

I feel like not accepting those two facts leads to a lot of salty scrub lords who turn really toxic before making proclamations of the game being dead and leaving.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on September 13, 2017 5:40PM
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    One other thing. Accept failure before you start. If you're not camping resources, 90% of the time you'll have to disenagage a fight or die and you need to know going into solo play that it's going to happen.

You also need to realize that your opponents aren't the bad guys just for outnumbering you, when YOU make a choice to fight outnumbered then you don't get to criticize people for outnumbering you.

I feel like not accepting those two facts leads to a lot of salty scrub lords who turn really toxic before making proclamations of the game being dead and leaving.

10,000% this.
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I find that having an inner Morgan Freeman, saves me a lot of time having to read any hate tells.
  • CyrusArya
    CyrusArya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The single best way to improve in solo PvP is to duel...a lot. A 1vX, aside from AoE bombs, can be seen sort of as a series of back to back 1v1's with no respite in between. At least that how it should be seen. Find the priority target, take em out, move to the next. To that end dueling not only helps you practice your offensive and defensive schemes in a controlled environment, but more importantly it gives you insight as to how your class performs against other classes. Dueling helps you gather valuable intel on how to best approach any given match up for when you come across it in the field. The second best way to improve is to record your losses and see what you coulda did better.
    A R Y A
    -Atmosphere
    -Ary'a
    Czarya
    The K-Hole ~ Phałanx
    My PvP Videos
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Solo and small scale? Don't play on vivec. Try one of the 7 day. I can only speak from stam pov but, learn to forfeit some wpn damage for sustain and to use burst to take people down instead of raw power. Can't 1vX if your dead. You'll need to use all your skills and not just a few. Ccs become very important, which poisons or glyphs all important. Playstyle comes in big time. For me a 2H doesn't work that well solo except on NB. For my stam sorc I play SB as my damage bar. You need to feel completely comfortable in your choice of gear. Learnto LOS like a master and just genuinely how to evade. Learn how other classes skills function and how to avoid being drawn into their burst combos, ultis etc. learn to spot the weakest players and either burn them out quick or decide you can ignore them. Oh and gold out those wpns. The damage boost from gold weapons is very significant and may allow you to switch over to another max stat pc, cost reduction or regen glyph.
    Edited by Vapirko on September 13, 2017 6:05PM
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can either go way outta the way and find others like you or PvE ers to slaughter. - Maybe one experienced PvPer leading a small inexperienced crew

You can run in high traffic areas - you will run into someone on the leaderboards with 2-3 allies - alone if you do manage to win - they'll be back and in greater numbers.

Solo exists - it doesn't have happen in a tower
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I wish I knew three years ago:
    • As a magicka build, you need excellent stamina management.
    • PvE DPS rotation are a waste of resources. It's better to put moderate pressure with DoTs and a heavy attack and then CC + burst down opponents.
    • I used to think DoTs sucked. They don't they are very useful. Well, ground AoE DoTs are still kind of terrible against solo opponents who can move.
    • Always move.
    • The initiative is very important; even if you are struggling and turtling up, do something to break your attacker's rhythm.
    • Have an actual purpose to using your CCs. A lot of times players just throw javelins or hit me with flame reach. I just break it and now have 7 seconds of immunity. What do they do? Hit me with javelin again :confused: .
    • I'd say a good 60% of all the skills and abilities in ESO are inefficient, niche, sub-optimal, or have too big of a drawback. These skills are fine to use while surrounded by friendly players, but will get you killed in competitive situations and attacked by enemy players.
    • Intelligent use of the environment is a resource free method of relieving the pressure on you. Note: this makes mobility extremely important, make sure you have it.
    • I really like having a cheap and an expensive ultimate. Sometimes you just don't need one in a long time so it's good to have a 200+ powerful one and sometimes you need something fast.
    • Use a combat log. Honestly assess why you lost. "Cheat engine, "lag," "macros," "cheese skill," "op sorcs," etc., are all excuses players not interested in improving will rationalize to save their ego.
    • Be nice and open minded. Ask your friends and the people you lose to for advice.
    • Have multiple types of potions for various scenarios.
    • Good resource management is more than just gear and recovery statistics. If your opponent pops a resto ultimate, don't cast expensive damage skills. Heavy attack a full health opponent before you are low on resources and have to heavy attack. Stuff like that,
  • Takes-No-Prisoner
    Takes-No-Prisoner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always move.
    Yeah, which is why, if I'm on a stamina toon, and I some how end up with buddies in small groups, i try to slot rapids. MagDK and MagTemp appreciate it a lot. Least, I know full well I love me some rapids on my mag toons.
  • THEDKEXPERIENCE
    THEDKEXPERIENCE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    • PvE DPS rotation are a waste of resources. It's better to put moderate pressure with DoTs and a heavy attack and then CC + burst down opponents.
    • I used to think DoTs sucked. They don't they are very useful. Well, ground AoE DoTs are still kind of terrible against solo opponents who can move.
    • Always move.
    • The initiative is very important; even if you are struggling and turtling up, do something to break your attacker's rhythm.
    • Have an actual purpose to using your CCs. A lot of times players just throw javelins or hit me with flame reach. I just break it and now have 7 seconds of immunity. What do they do? Hit me with javelin again :confused: .
    • I'd say a good 60% of all the skills and abilities in ESO are inefficient, niche, sub-optimal, or have too big of a drawback. These skills are fine to use while surrounded by friendly players, but will get you killed in competitive situations and attacked by enemy players.
    • Intelligent use of the environment is a resource free method of relieving the pressure on you. Note: this makes mobility extremely important, make sure you have it.
    • I really like having a cheap and an expensive ultimate. Sometimes you just don't need one in a long time so it's good to have a 200+ powerful one and sometimes you need something fast.
    • Use a combat log. Honestly assess why you lost. "Cheat engine, "lag," "macros," "cheese skill," "op sorcs," etc., are all excuses players not interested in improving will rationalize to save their ego.
    • Be nice and open minded. Ask your friends and the people you lose to for advice.
    • Good resource management is more than just gear and recovery statistics. If your opponent pops a resto ultimate, don't cast expensive damage skills. Heavy attack a full health opponent before you are low on resources and have to heavy attack. Stuff like that,

@Joy_Division speaking truth.

-It still amazes me that I can get by with barely enough stamina for 2 dodge rolls.
    - 100% on the no need for a PVE rotation. 80% of players will die to the most basic things. Save your "skill" for those who deserve it and situations that call for it.
    - Yes, always be riding, running or hiding. Done stand still and definitely don't stand still without crouching first.
    - A mistake in aggression is way better than a passive mistake. You're so right.
    - I get so angry when I hit the same guy with a javelin. Haha.
    - I so wish I could regularly lob 18k dark flares at people. And then I remember it takes 20 minutes to cast and only lands every 5th try.
    - LOS is life. Mist form is life. Rapid Manuevers is life. Not figuring out that you need multiple ways to survive any single fight is death. Another reason why you don't need a PVE rotation. About half of your skills should be for escaping and defense so there just isn't room.
    - 99.999% of deaths involve no cheating. If you're on console it's probably closer to 99.999999999% of them.
    - Be nice! Exactly. It's still a game. Even some of your biggest rivals can become good friends. Also, in faction fighting is pointless. We all belong to the greatest guild in the world. No need to measure junk over it and ruin things for the collective. Many guild leaders fail to understand that their squabbling can effect hundreds of people that don't even know who they are.
    - I use immovable + health + HRec + magic + MRec and invisibility + speed. If I'm traveling the other is equipped 100% of the time. Nothing will bug a ganker out quite like a Templar pulling a Night Blade trick! Also, don't waste crafted potions in overland PVE.
    - I can manage my resources at under 800 each better than many people with 2000+ each. Using your attacks wisely is such a key that people forget. If I'm in a big battle I'll likely just be heavy staff attacking for most of it and only start spamming abilities when I need them. Similarly I imagine many people only pop potions when they are out of resources when nothing says you can't pop one at 70%.

Anyway, great post and I agree with essentially all of it.
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Always move.

This is awesome - many many thanks.

Current main is a magNB. It's been a rewarding if absolutely brutal learning curve. build feels pretty solid and the damage is nice (I'd read that Magblades suck in CP pvP) but I'm having a blast.
    I die a lot. I mean a LOT. Although the last couple of days have been much better. I've watched some youtube vids for a bit of inspiration and I'm amazed at the difference a good CP set up makes
    I knew I was going to (and will) die a lot and I'm not one of those super-uptight perfectionists that demand that they stay alive and rage hard when they don't - I don't whisper people or Tbag. |I'd rather try and talk to someone about what skills they used or their gear or CP setup/
    Crafting wise I'm very very self-sufficient, which is a big bonus, so always have lots of pots/food.

Still (even 3 years after beta!) learing about skills and passives - that is absolutely my biggest issue so far. I have really bad attention issues so i always forget the crucial 'extra' bonuses of morphs or knowing when to CC and when not to- I'm struggling to shake that panicy "noob finger" and spamming skills that only need clicking once. It's interesting watch the popular streamers - I'm sure they must be playing a different class of player to me - it seems that everyone I come up against is both tanky, brutal and very very skillful. AND hit like a missile. lol.

so yes, lots of death at the moment but every single one is a learing curve. :)
    Edited by Bam_Bam on September 13, 2017 8:48PM
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Baranthus wrote: »
    • Always move.

Current main is a magNB. It's been a rewarding if absolutely brutal learning curve. build feels pretty solid and the damage is nice (I'd read that Magblades suck in CP pvP) but I'm having a blast.
    I die a lot. I mean a LOT. Although the last couple of days have been much better. I've watched some youtube vids for a bit of inspiration and I'm amazed at the difference a good CP set up makes
    I knew I was going to (and will) die a lot and I'm not one of those super-uptight perfectionists that demand that they stay alive and rage hard when they don't - I don't whisper people or Tbag. |I'd rather try and talk to someone about what skills they used or their gear or CP setup/
    Crafting wise I'm very very self-sufficient, which is a big bonus, so always have lots of pots/food.

Still (even 3 years after beta!) learing about skills and passives - that is absolutely my biggest issue so far. I have really bad attention issues so i always forget the crucial 'extra' bonuses of morphs or knowing when to CC and when not to- I'm struggling to shake that panicy "noob finger" and spamming skills that only need clicking once. It's interesting watch the popular streamers - I'm sure they must be playing a different class of player to me - it seems that everyone I come up against is both tanky, brutal and very very skillful. AND hit like a missile. lol.

I have a ton of success as a solo mageblade. I'd love to answer any class specific solo related questions you've got via messages
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First step is to start with duels imo. Take it from there...

PC EU
    PvP only
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »

I don't think I'd do too well in duels. I dunno, maybe I would. But *** a NB I love to sneak and hunt. I like to "observe my prey" and I'm happy to do this for a long time too. Being in a duel just seems to me to be the fastest hard hitter wins. I've never tried one though and I turn them down so I honestly wouldn't know.
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • Bam_Bam
    Bam_Bam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Always move.

I have a ton of success as a solo mageblade. I'd love to answer any class specific solo related questions you've got via messages

That is very kind of you, thanks Lexxy.
    Joined January 2014
    Grand Master Crafter

#DiscordHypeSquad

Stream
    Lims Kragm'a
    Bam Bam Bara
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Running vma is actually a good way of improving your pvp skills. It teaches a similar kind of awareness and prioritisation you need to pvp. It also teaches you how to get your damage out as fast as possible and how to survive big damage. It's not necessary of course; I could pvp before I ran vma, I just feel like vma improved my dexterity and awareness.

In pvp just don't be afraid to die, and don't be embarrassed when you do. But do learn why you died and try to come up with a plan for next time you're in that situation.
    PC | EU
  • FakeFox
    FakeFox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Find someone who plays your class but beats you and duel him over and over. I guess it should be someone you know, since otherwise he will probably not fight you any more at some point or start trolling.
    EU/PC (GER) - Healermain since 2014 - 50305 Achievement Points - Youtube (PvE Healing Guides, Builds & Gameplay)
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pick target smartly. Use terrain and LoS. Fight on your terms. Burst is great but focusing a bit on defense will go a long way. Use the right potion for the right situation. Learn how to animation cancel very well. Know game mechanics and each classes mechanics. Don't get overly aggressive, sometimes you get a person so close to death but you are also about to die, pull off of them, reassess and go back in to attack, sure if you don't go defensive you might kill them but you are also going to die. Killing one person in a 1vX situation doesn't make you an 1vXer. Killing several and having a good survival rate does.

Above all, plan on dying a lot and don't get to frustrated. Eventually you'll get the hang of it.

O, quick edit because I almost forgot. Find a spot where you know people will be fighting. As much as the bride near Alesia helps no one, it's actually good practice for someone just starting out. Don't focus to much on attack but go there and run throughout either tower and purposely get people to chase you. Get good at surviving. Once you're at a point where there are 10 people after you but they can't seem to kill you because you defense, heals, and movements are on point, then start figuring out your offense.
    Edited by deepseamk20b14_ESO on September 14, 2017 2:10AM
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • doslekis
    doslekis
    ✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »

I don't think I'd do too well in duels. I dunno, maybe I would. But *** a NB I love to sneak and hunt. I like to "observe my prey" and I'm happy to do this for a long time too. Being in a duel just seems to me to be the fastest hard hitter wins. I've never tried one though and I turn them down so I honestly wouldn't know.

If both players have good sustain and defense duels can last a long time.

I duel on my stamblade against a heavy magolar friend and sometimes one of us gets a good burst and the fight ends quickly. Other times we both play on the defensive side and put up a good fight for a while.
    I don't normally use daggers, but when I do, I choose dos Lekis.