Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Website Design and Navigation

• ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Remag_Div wrote: »
    Loc2262 wrote: »
    The banner change is good!

But now, on each page reload or switch, the screen turns a brown pattern first and then the page fades in.

One step forward, two steps back. lol

No idea why switching pages is not instantaneous like the old design. The banner change is definitely WAY better but having that small brown wall loading screen after every click gets old very fast.

What it's essentially doing is loading everything in first, rather than having the content appear first then the nav popping in and bumping the content down. We're going to see if there's a way to optimize this, but we wanted to at least get the nav updates out to everyone quickly.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any chance of going back to the prior format, or is this already a done deal via Marketing's mandates?
    PC-NA
  • qsnoopyjr
    qsnoopyjr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow the forum dev's work fast, one thing I'm finding annoying now is black screen appearing while I navigate through the forums.
  • Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But now, on each page reload or switch, the screen turns a brown pattern first and then the page fades in.

No idea why switching pages is not instantaneous like the old design. The banner change is definitely WAY better but having that small brown wall loading screen after every click gets old very fast.

What it's essentially doing is loading everything in first, rather than having the content appear first then the nav popping in and bumping the content down. We're going to see if there's a way to optimize this, but we wanted to at least get the nav updates out to everyone quickly.

I see. You're right though, I'd take this over the old header bumping every page down. Just hope you guys can optimize the loading a bit better so it's not as slow.

Thanks for the updates!
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I see. You're right though, I'd take this over the old header bumping every page down. Just hope you guys can optimize the loading a bit better so it's not as slow.

Thanks for the updates!

Personally, I'd take the original format over either the header bumping every page down or the screen going brown and pausing before loading any page. I just don't see any benefit in these changes whatsoever.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Personally, I'd take the original format over either the header bumping every page down or the screen going brown and pausing before loading any page. I just don't see any benefit in these changes whatsoever.
    This.

I still get the nav bar juddering no matter how slowly I try to scroll, to the point where I now consciously refuse to look at the upper half of the screen when I do it. And the brown-screen fade-in is bizarre.

For the love of God, ZoS, admit you stuffed up and put things back the way they were. Forget about trying to optimize it - this is a bad design. It will never work satisfactorily.
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • LadyHeloise
    LadyHeloise
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you so much for stopping the horrible moving banner. It's much better now and I'm not accidentally clicking random links. I don't mind the fading in effect as it is (currently) working quickly for me, but I could see this being annoying if it worked more slowly.
    PC-EU.
  • xSkullfox
    xSkullfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    at least its fixed
    Edited by xSkullfox on August 11, 2017 8:03AM
    Groupfinder:
    The worst part is when it finally puts you in a group, your healer turns into a werewolf, your tank has 14k HP and the dps is heavy armor, using a restro staff and a two handed sword on the backbar. Then comes the 15 minute penalty before the cycle starts anew.

Rulz of Morrowind:
    • The first rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • The second rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • Third rule of Morrowind: Someone yells NDA stuff, uploads images, streams, the game is over.
    • Fourth rule: only invited players can test.
    • Fifth rule: one invite at a time, fellas.
    • Sixth rule: crying or bashing on pts.
    • Seventh rule: NDA will go on as long as they have to.
    • And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first invite at Morrowind, you have to play.
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the smaller nav bar. The fading effect does not bother me, I got used to it.

But I still get the nav bar flickering every time I scroll.

I hope you can find a way to stop this.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the brown page is a temporary nuisance on my desktops while the screen pauses while loading the data, on my Samsung phone all I get now is a permanent black page that turns brown when I scroll down. No text ever appears, it's just solid black and brown.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I have JavaScript enabled on my phone, and I've cleared the cache.
    Edited by Tandor on August 11, 2017 9:43AM
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It all works perfectly on my Windows 8 phone.

Learn to buy the right phone :s
    PC EU
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all works perfectly on my Windows 8 phone.

Learn to buy the right phone :s

There's nothing wrong with my phone, just as there was nothing wrong with the forum originally :smiley: !

Yet another so-called improvement that is a backward step, so typical of the modern world sadly.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    I like the smaller nav bar. The fading effect does not bother me, I got used to it.

Which browser are you using?
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    Izanagi.Xiiib16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    While the brown page is a temporary nuisance on my desktops while the screen pauses while loading the data, on my Samsung phone all I get now is a permanent black page that turns brown when I scroll down. No text ever appears, it's just solid black and brown.

EDIT: Just to clarify, I have JavaScript enabled on my phone, and I've cleared the cache.

I have this too in the default internet browser but I can see forums as normal within chrome browser on my Samsung
    @Solar_Breeze
    NA ~ Izanerys: Dracarys (Videos | Dracast Podcast)
    EU ~ Izanagi: Roleplay Circle (AOE Rats/ Zerg Squad / Banana Squad)
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have this too in the default internet browser but I can see forums as normal within chrome browser on my Samsung

Thanks, that works for me too - but shouldn't be necessary.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank You for fixing and removing it.
    now can you please do the same with it ingame?
    i hate the messages in my center of screen.
    please make the messages go to the chat box, or perhaps the side of the screen instead of right in our faces.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since yesterday, the loading time to open screens like the Recent Posts or Dev Tracker pages has increased a lot, sometimes just hanging indefinitely. Was some kind of "fade in" feature added? If so, please get it out of here!

(Using Google Chrome on Win 10 and Android Samsung Internet browser, same issue on both devices)
    Edited by dpencil1 on August 11, 2017 5:12PM
  • Easily_Lost
    Easily_Lost
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Internet Explorer. It has all the latest updates.
    PC - NA - AD
    started April 2015
    PVE & Solo only

Meet the LOST family: CP 1250+
    Easily Lost Crafter - lvl 50 - Sorcerer Orc ( knows all traits and most styles )
    Easily Lost-W - lvl 50 - Warden Imperial
    Forever Lost - lvl 50 Sorcerer

CROWN CRATES: It doesn't affect gameplay, it's not mandatory, it's cosmetic only. If it helps to support the game and ZOS, I support it! Say YES to crown crates.
  • dpencil1
    dpencil1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some more info regarding my comment above:
    So no matter what page I try to go to, there is a chance that the background that appears in the new Header that has "Categories, Det Tracker, Recent, Unanswered" will fill the screen as if it were the foreground. You can still mouse over the page and click on parts of the black space (the bottom left side of the browser that shows you a link's destination will show up) and you can follow links to their associated pages, though those pages will also be covered up.

Please fix this ASAP. It makes it extremely difficult to read the forums when more than half the time the page is just black.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why this (relatively long) black page each time we switch pages ?

I mean, it's nothing ground-breaking or anything, but come on guys... you made a masterpiece 3D-video game, which on top on that is a giant MMO on a megaserver. You certainly can get a forum to work properly... ?
    Edited by anitajoneb17_ESO on August 11, 2017 9:19PM
  • Balibe
    Balibe
    ✭✭✭✭

Internet Explorer. It has all the latest updates.

It also does this for me with Internet Explorer v11 ...... it does not do this in Microsoft Edge .....
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like you updated the Mobile version of the website and it's horrible.

1. What used to take a page 0.5 seconds to load now can take 5-10 seconds to load up thanks to the new, unnecessary Black box on top and Gray box on bottom backgrounds added as well as the "fade-in" effect that is slower on mobile.
    2. When a page does fully load up, it often fails to show anything except the Black top box and the Gray bottom box forcing you to refresh the page and hope it loads the content. This happens way too frequently.
    3. Sometimes a page does load correctly, but the Gray box is layered on top of the page creating this very dark filter.
    4. The banner bar randomly shows up sometimes it takes up 1/5 of the screen, sometimes it takes up 1/3 of the screen, and other times its just not there at all; the last part I like so I'm not being blocked by this banner while viewing pages.
  • xSkullfox
    xSkullfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why this (relatively long) black page each time we switch pages ?

To hide the site loading in the background
    Groupfinder:
    The worst part is when it finally puts you in a group, your healer turns into a werewolf, your tank has 14k HP and the dps is heavy armor, using a restro staff and a two handed sword on the backbar. Then comes the 15 minute penalty before the cycle starts anew.

Rulz of Morrowind:
    • The first rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • The second rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • Third rule of Morrowind: Someone yells NDA stuff, uploads images, streams, the game is over.
    • Fourth rule: only invited players can test.
    • Fifth rule: one invite at a time, fellas.
    • Sixth rule: crying or bashing on pts.
    • Seventh rule: NDA will go on as long as they have to.
    • And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first invite at Morrowind, you have to play.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This feels like a classical case of "if you can't make it good, make it look good" to me. ;)

Seriously, get rid of the hugely increased loading time, the unnecessary fade-in, and the javascript dependency on www.elderscrollsonline.com. It wasn't there before, there was no reason to change it.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This feels like a classical case of "if you can't make it good, make it look good" to me. ;)

Seriously, get rid of the hugely increased loading time, the unnecessary fade-in, and the javascript dependency on www.elderscrollsonline.com. It wasn't there before, there was no reason to change it.

More like a classical case of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" to me. They just need to revert it to the original setup, which worked fine on both desktops and mobiles.
  • ProfesseurFreder
    ProfesseurFreder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for getting rid of the floaty logo at the top. It looked and worked all right, but it got in the way and was more annoying than cool.
    "Nothing by which all human passion and hope and folly can be mirrored and then proved ever was just a game."
    -- William Faulkner.
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could you add "participated" on the top bar next to "recent" too? Its the first chat filter i use when i visit the forums, and it kinda does not make sense to hide it under the "account options" cog wheel. I bet many of the newer forumers don't even realize it exists...
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sharee wrote: »
    Could you add "participated" on the top bar next to "recent" too? Its the first chat filter i use when i visit the forums, and it kinda does not make sense to hide it under the "account options" cog wheel. I bet many of the newer forumers don't even realize it exists...

Harr harr, I never clicked on that one. The "My drafts" - oh my :D

Yes, to the top with it!
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is there no subscribe/unsubscribe from a thread feature? I'm sick of getting a notification every single time someone replies to a thread I started (I currently have one that got maybe 30 or more replies during the evening). Of course your own threads don't appear in the list of participated threads, so I have no other option to notice new replies.
    This forum is absolute and utter garbage. Nothing makes sense here, and features that every damn free forum software out there has had for at least ten years are simply nonexistant here.

I might be better off going to that internet cancer called reddit really.
    Edited by Octopuss on August 13, 2017 10:14PM
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    Why is there no subscribe/unsubscribe from a thread feature? I'm sick of getting a notification every single time someone replies to a thread I started (I currently have one that got maybe 30 or more replies during the evening). Of course your own threads don't appear in the list of participated threads, so I have no other option to notice new replies.
    This forum is absolute and utter garbage. Nothing makes sense here, and features that every damn free forum software out there has had for at least ten years are simply nonexistant here.

I might be better off going to that internet cancer called reddit really.

But there is, it's a little tricky to get to. Go to your Forum Account Page, to the far right of your name there's a gear-wheel, click that and Edit Profile, from there you can change Notification Settings.
This discussion has been closed.