The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Website Design and Navigation

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, as mentioned earlier today, we are exploring options for how we can display the new navigation bar. While we appreciate your feedback, please make sure to stay constructive. Real humans are reading this. ;)

In the future perhaps hire more Khajiit ? This one can not post in these conditions . Forums are the best part of the game when logged out . You must prioritize this above all things eso .
  • Cynnalia
    Cynnalia
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all, as mentioned earlier today, we are exploring options for how we can display the new navigation bar. While we appreciate your feedback, please make sure to stay constructive. Real humans are reading this. ;)

I apologize if I came off as rude. It's just this is one of my favorite sites which I visit almost every day and to suddenly come here and be presented by a design which negatively impacts my navigation experience is disappointing. I want to continue to love coming here!

I'm glad to hear our feedback is being taken into consideration. A big thanks to you and the team for the improvements.
    NA PS4 Daggerfall Covenant Characters -- CP 755

Sulin Shadowdancer -- Redguard Nightblade -- Dragonstar Arena Champion, General Executioner, Tamriel Hero
    Ysorya Traven - Breton Sorcerer -- Monster Hunter, Master Angler, Explorer, Maelstrom Arena Champion, Tamriel Hero
    Eriah A'kiranya-- Redguard Dragon Knight, tank
    Sybilline Travadon -- Altmer Templar -- Maelstrom Arena Champion
    At-Sixes-and-Sevens -- Argonian Templar, healer
    Mercurial Malice -- Dunmer Nightblade
    Fern Gullie -- Bosmer Warden, level 45
    Ghareshi-ri - Khajiit, Necromancer, level 9
  • truesteelnb
    truesteelnb
    Soul Shriven
    I can no longer login to manage my account. The account login page simply refreshes with no error message. This has been tried on several updated browsers (IE, Firefox, Chrome) with minimal, standard and custom security/privacy settings with fully flushed history/cache/cookies each attempt. This is a serious issue.
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    What I dislike with new style is news section - previously each article was short so you could roll and find old one. now each article preview is large and you have to scroll it for a long time.
  • Docmandu
    Docmandu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder if they'll ever change the age gate... decent sites like Steam etc pre-fill-in the values to 1901 or something. I get that some BS legal guy needs it to be on the website, but c'mon at least make it less annoying to zap through.
  • Vanthras79
    Vanthras79
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll try to be good Gina. :wink:
    Edited by Vanthras79 on August 2, 2017 7:50PM
    Norion Germain - Telvanni Wizard, Covenant Battle Mage, Mage's Guild Magister, Resident of Daggerfall Overlook, Lord of Tel Galen, Psijic Monk, Antiquarian, Breton Scholar, and Traveler.

• Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Please shrink down the header, and if possible cut out the fancy disappearing fonts and element resizes. It makes for some awkward moving elements on page that just gives some people motion sickness. It feels like it over complicates the forum pages with what should be quick easy browsing for reading. It looks fine on other pages but this header along with any system notification messages posted literally pushes the actual forums content completely out of my view on each page refresh or thread change.
    hmCmxTB.jpg
    See? no actual threads, almost all banner. This is every single click now.
    love is love
  • Recremen
    Recremen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a huge opinion on the bar one way or the other EXCEPT that in my browser it does this aggravating popping thing right after the page loads which shifts everything I'm about to click down suddenly. I'm using the latest version of Chrome, not sure if it's the same on other browsers. Other than that, it seems perfectly functional. Is the text larger by default now? That probably helps it stand out better for those with bad eyesight, so that's cool.
    Men'Do PC NA AD Khajiit
    Grand High Illustrious Mid-Tier PvP/PvE Bussmunster
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, the header pushing down each newly loaded page is very aggravating.

I fixed it for now by forbidding javascript from www.elderscrollsonline.com in NoScript.

Also, where did the language selection box go? I'd like to check out both the English and German forums from time to time.
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I just spent good 2 minutes trying to comprehend why clicking on "General Discussion" put me in the "News and articles" section of the forums twice in a row, then realized that's because the abomination you added on the top loads in right as I click and conveniently moves the link I was actually clicking further down the page, instead giving me the link I never intended to click. So I decided to take it as a sign of fate and use this section to comment on it while I'm here anyway.

I can remember what game I'm playing without 1/3 of my browser space stating it. Please remove this monstrosity, or at least make it optional. Oh and while you're at it, the permanent black bar on top with categories/dev tracker/stuff is also unneeded and should be a toggle. I play/browse on a laptop with 1366*768 resolution and these things are eating a large amount of space for me which I'd rather use for, you know, reading the forums. Stop making forums more and more awkward to use already>.<
    Edited by Magdalina on August 2, 2017 8:38PM
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just make it smaller so it doesn't take up so much space. I don't mind the idea behind it at all. Just make it smaller.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • xSkullfox
    xSkullfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive updated my plugin

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/363759/chrome-plugin-extended-eso-forum

#0.1.1
    Endless scrolling in categories
    Server status
    Minor changes
    Groupfinder:
    The worst part is when it finally puts you in a group, your healer turns into a werewolf, your tank has 14k HP and the dps is heavy armor, using a restro staff and a two handed sword on the backbar. Then comes the 15 minute penalty before the cycle starts anew.

Rulz of Morrowind:
    • The first rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • The second rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • Third rule of Morrowind: Someone yells NDA stuff, uploads images, streams, the game is over.
    • Fourth rule: only invited players can test.
    • Fifth rule: one invite at a time, fellas.
    • Sixth rule: crying or bashing on pts.
    • Seventh rule: NDA will go on as long as they have to.
    • And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first invite at Morrowind, you have to play.
  • PocketNova
    PocketNova
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »

I fixed it for now by forbidding javascript from www.elderscrollsonline.com in NoScript.

Also, where did the language selection box go? I'd like to check out both the English and German forums from time to time.

The big American flag down the bottom, I believe if you click on that and select the German flag it'd switch you to the German forums. But don't quote me on that.
    PC NA
    Master Angler
    Dressed as Wonder Woman
    Living in Hogwarts
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it so far, but when traversing through pages the expansion (and size) of the header can be distracting. Would it be possible to use cookies or whatever to track the user and default to a collapsed banner after initial access to the site? Only resetting this variable when the user leaves all instances of the website, or perhaps resetting if the user travels to specific pages? (I.E.Game Homepage)
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on August 2, 2017 11:31PM
  • Avran_Sylt
    Avran_Sylt
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This might just be me, but this is the kind of condensed header I'd like to see:
    t792m45si0ic.png

While the title isn't the main focus, I think that making the navigation the centre of attention would be better (at least on the forum pages)

It'd also be cool to see the bottom bar push up into the top bar, like it's being absorbed by it. Much like you've got going on with the title when you scroll down.
    Edited by Avran_Sylt on August 2, 2017 11:30PM
  • victoriana-blue
    victoriana-blue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Strange mobile thing: when in the mobile version of the forums, my phone's Adblock browser now jumps down several rows when I load a page. E.g. when I tap the logo at the top of the page to bring me to the forum home, the browser "starts" at Crown Store (9th topic), not News & Article Discussions, and I have to scroll up to get to the top of the page. The same thing happens in the subforums, where my screen "starts" on the 9th thread and I have to scroll up to find the first. (This is not about me refreshing and the page remembering my position - this happens on new loads of the pages.)

This only happens on the Adblock Browser, not Chrome. It started after I tried the full version of the site on my phone to see the new design, then switched back to mobile. Logging in and out didn't fix it, nor did going back & forth between full and mobile a few times (which before this week had never caused problems for my browser). Enabling/disabling ad blocking doesn't change anything.

It's entirely possible that it's my phone, not the site, but it's very strange.

(Android 6.0.1, Chrome 58.0.3029.83, Adblock Browser 1.1.1)

Edit Aug 5/17: For whatever it's worth, the mobile site is back to normal as of this morning, before the maintenance headers went up. I haven't updated any programs, so I'm assuming this is on ZOS' end.
    Edited by victoriana-blue on August 5, 2017 7:44PM
    CP 750+
    Never enough inventory space, even with storage coffers and a mule account
  • Balibe
    Balibe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cynnalia wrote: »

I apologize if I came off as rude. It's just this is one of my favorite sites which I visit almost every day and to suddenly come here and be presented by a design which negatively impacts my navigation experience is disappointing. I want to continue to love coming here!

I'm glad to hear our feedback is being taken into consideration. A big thanks to you and the team for the improvements.
    +1

The new navigation is irritating for a forum. I could understand for a website but not for a forum ...... It hurts the eyes while scrolling the posts with the constant flicker ..... It may be okay for younger people with good eyes, but for me I get a headache scrolling a thread .....

I don't need a header following me as I scroll down a page causing hesitation and flicker in scrolling. If I need the header, we all have a "home" button that works perfectly .....

I have already backed off the game due to changes since Morrowind (yes I wasted my money), now it looks like I need to back of the forums too .....

Edited by Balibe on August 3, 2017 4:58AM
  • jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    jaschacasadiob16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very annoying. Not sexy.
    "Yesterday while searching a barrel in vVoM I found a lemon. Best drop of the whole run."

Protect the weak. Heal the sick.
    Treasure the gifts of friendship. Seek joy and inspiration in the mysteries of love.
    Honor the Earth, its creatures, and the spirits. Use Nature's gifts wisely. Respect her power. Fear her fury.
  • mystfit
    mystfit
    ✭✭✭
    There is something to be said for keeping the navigation bar within easy reach to save the step of scrolling back up looking for it.
    However, a few things to consider from my perspective at least. Depending on a user's settings, this takes up alot of real estate. I run a lower resolution screen size and larger dpi to accommodate poor vision which then makes the top banner quite large.
    It moves quite a bit up and down which id distracting.
    And, as silly as it sounds...it catches the eye. I find my line of sight is drawn to it, rather then to the page itself.
    Navigation tools should be both easy to use AND as unobtrusive as is possible. Sadly, this one in it's current state isn't.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PocketNova wrote: »
    Loc2262 wrote: »

The big American flag down the bottom, I believe if you click on that and select the German flag it'd switch you to the German forums. But don't quote me on that.

Aah yes you're right. I AM quoting you, cause you were correct. ;)

Thing is, I don't see that part of the website when I disallow javascript from www.elderscrollsonline.com, which I do to get rid of that humongous header. ;)
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Belidos
    Belidos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who do I send the bill for the lunch I just hurled?

That header is beyond tolerable, the way it jerks about I can't browse these forums and keep my lunch down at the same time, i'll either have to stop eating or stop reading.

It's not so bad on the main site because you can at least get around it by using the scroll bar on the right, but you have neglected to add a scroll bar on the forum (well you have added it, but the scripts you use hide it almost immediately the page loads).

Also javascript? C'mon keep up with the time, most websites stopped using java ages ago because it's not very secure and everybody and their mom uses software to block javascripts.
    Edited by Belidos on August 3, 2017 11:49AM
  • xSkullfox
    xSkullfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Belidos wrote: »
    Who do I send the bill for the lunch I just hurled?

That header is beyond tolerable, the way it jerks about I can't browse these forums and keep my lunch down at the same time, i'll either have to stop eating or stop reading.

It's not so bad on the main site because you can at least get around it by using the scroll bar on the right, but you have neglected to add a scroll bar on the forum (well you have added it, but the scripts you use hide it almost immediately the page loads).

Also javascript? C'mon keep up with the time, most websites stopped using java ages ago because it's not very secure and everybody and their mom uses software to block javascripts.

https://w3techs.com/technologies/details/cp-javascript/all/all

JavaScript is used by 94.7% of all the websites.

#edit
    You probably mean flash not js.
    Edited by xSkullfox on August 3, 2017 11:51AM
    Groupfinder:
    The worst part is when it finally puts you in a group, your healer turns into a werewolf, your tank has 14k HP and the dps is heavy armor, using a restro staff and a two handed sword on the backbar. Then comes the 15 minute penalty before the cycle starts anew.

Rulz of Morrowind:
    • The first rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • The second rule of Morrowind is: You do not talk about Morrowind.
    • Third rule of Morrowind: Someone yells NDA stuff, uploads images, streams, the game is over.
    • Fourth rule: only invited players can test.
    • Fifth rule: one invite at a time, fellas.
    • Sixth rule: crying or bashing on pts.
    • Seventh rule: NDA will go on as long as they have to.
    • And the eighth and final rule: If this is your first invite at Morrowind, you have to play.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Belidos wrote: »
    You're right about Java. Only 0.1% of the top 10 million websites (by Alexa popularity ranking) use it. But JavaScript is something completely different, and is used by 94.7% of the top 10 million websites. You'll lose a lot of dhtml functonality on many web sites if you block it.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • WoodenHeart
    WoodenHeart
    ✭✭✭✭
    All that expanding and contracting every time I change pages is horrible! It was really difficult to even find how to put my name to sign in, since the big bar covered part of it. It was making me really motion sick so I had to block the whole top area with AdBlock. Now it's just the smaller bar, which is more acceptable. Please fix!
  • majulook
    majulook
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought long a hard about what to say about this.
    All I can say is:

What a terrible web design.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ya, this is pretty horrible. It's impossible to do anything on the page with it constantly jumping up and down. What was wrong with how it was before?

I can't see myself participating in the forums any further until this is fixed.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Moloch1514
    Moloch1514
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somehow I imagine this is Marketing's fault, like a lot of issues we have with ZOS lately.
    PC-NA
  • s7732425ub17_ESO
    s7732425ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, this new top banner change is horrible. At least program it correctly so it loads along with the rest of the page so that it doesn't pop in and out.
  • Kahina
    Kahina
    ✭✭✭
    What's with the new header taking up the top part of my account page? It looks out of place and wrong, such as to appear unprofessional. Like someone doesn't understand basic interface design principles.

Without it, the entire account page is visible at one time, including the new links at the bottom. Scrolling down a bit so the header shrinks shows this. That is how it should look all the time.
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭
    MissBizz wrote: »
    MissBizz's Novel of Feedback for New Website
    Forums on desktop

That header.... It's kinda too big. It works well on the main website, but the forums are mostly a place for current players who realize where they are. It's taking away from the actual content of the site and is quite clunky. It loads after the rest of the page as well, so it's super clunky if you're already trying to scroll and click on something.

Having it permanently shrunk, or at least something I can click to keep is shrunk would be fantastic.

There's also a weird blank space between that large header and the start of the forums. At this point we're at very minimal content vs header. I'd love to see that blank space go away. That might even help enough for the large header not to seem overly intrusive anymore.

Imagine when you use one of the event popups on the bottom of the page? We'll have like 1/10 of the page to actually see content.
    Politely put, but "kinda too big" is, in my humble opinion, an understatement.

Further, I would like to point out that the bar is "kinda totally unnecessary" (although putting it that way would be too polite for me, too.) :smiley:

Edited by Shadowshire on August 4, 2017 9:59AM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi
This discussion has been closed.