The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

New Website Design and Navigation

• dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    not a fan of the way it enlarges itself, clicking the wrong thing to often...
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but when switching from the forums to the main page, the language selection is lost (at least "en-gb" is lost and becomes "en"). I only noticed this when switching back to the forums, haven't checked yet, if it's already lost on the first switch.
    Even if the content of "en" and "en-gb" is essentially the same, I prefer to see date announcements in a time zone I can relate to ;) So it would be great if the selection would be preserved.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    feyii wrote: »
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but when switching from the forums to the main page, the language selection is lost (at least "en-gb" is lost and becomes "en"). I only noticed this when switching back to the forums, haven't checked yet, if it's already lost on the first switch.
    Even if the content of "en" and "en-gb" is essentially the same, I prefer to see date announcements in a time zone I can relate to ;) So it would be great if the selection would be preserved.
    I'm getting this when going from the forum thread lists (General, Lore, Participated, Dev Tracker, etc) into the threads themselves. Navigating around the root pages will maintain en-gb, but all the links to the threads and between pages within the threads are just en.
    Edited by Enodoc on August 9, 2017 12:16PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same problem. It appears that links in subforums are "hardcoded" with the "en" string, instead of dynamically changing to "en-gb".
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forum also desperately need "mark all as read" feature inside both subforums and on the main page. Those links hidden under buttons next to each category is the most user unfriendly implementation I have seen in my life.
    Edited by Octopuss on August 9, 2017 3:38PM
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    The forum also desperately need "mark all as read" feature inside both subforums and on the main page. Those links hidden under buttons next to each category is the most user unfriendly implementation I have seen in my life.

This is a great point. I have been here since beta and never even realized there was an option to mark as read until you mentioned it.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great point. I have been here since beta and never even realized there was an option to mark as read until you mentioned it.
    There used to be... where did that go? It was in the User Settings drop-down, along with Edit Profile, Participated Discussions, and My Drafts.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dsalter wrote: »
    This. It's a truly bad design decision to load the top banner in *after* the forum loads. Awful user experience. You get set to click on a category and it suddenly moves beneath your mouse. Someone had way too much spare time and tinkered with something that wasn't broken to begin with. I see that a lot in the game as well.
    PS4NA
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    There used to be... where did that go? It was in the User Settings drop-down, along with Edit Profile, Participated Discussions, and My Drafts.

It is here in a completely useless way. From the main forums page, you can click on the little wheel icons next to subforum links to mark them read... but that's how people use it!
    This whole forum is a technical disaster if you ask me. Reinventing a wheel that ended up square is what I call it.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dotme wrote: »
    dsalter wrote: »
    This. It's a truly bad design decision to load the top banner in *after* the forum loads. Awful user experience. You get set to click on a category and it suddenly moves beneath your mouse. Someone had way too much spare time and tinkered with something that wasn't broken to begin with. I see that a lot in the game as well.

This seems to be a universal. I can't count the number of times I've admonished a developer, "DON'T fix what isn't broken! If it's working, leave it alone!" No one ever listens.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When is the header getting fixed?
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Remag_Div wrote: »

Right now! If you don't see the change yet, try clearing your cache.
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Right now! If you don't see the change yet, try clearing your cache.
    IT'S DEAD THE BANNER OF DOOM IS DEAD! LONG LIVE THE NON EXPANSIONIST BANNER!

Thanks Gina, this will make things much easier.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • Eddyble
    Eddyble
    ✭✭✭✭
    A glass of mead for all in celebration of the banner fix!! I'm not buying though. :p
    Eddyb1e - Xbox One - NA
    Eddyble - PC - NA
  • RMerlin
    RMerlin
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is much better, thank you!
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The banner change is good!

But now, on each page reload or switch, the screen turns a brown pattern first and then the page fades in.

Also, the page stays the brown pattern when I forbid javascript from www.elderscrollsonline.com. I like to allow JS from as few pages as possible. Now I need to allow that to read the forum... why?
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Forztr
    Forztr
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why do I have to stare at a blank background for one full second everytime I switch page? Again I will say it, on a dev machine it's probably instantaneous and looks cool but in the real world, it looks very amateurish. You're loading text and thumbnails why the delay? If it's the background causing the lag why isn't it cached. No wonder Cyro is a lag fest if you can't even do a simple website.

Just looks bad for a company of your size to produce something this unresponsive.

UPDATE: Clicked on 50 links and it gets quicker but it's still slow compared to other game forums I use.
    Edited by Forztr on August 10, 2017 2:51PM
  • argouru
    argouru
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately, my workplace computer isn't able to access the main part of the website with the news and crown store areas. I can no longer get past the age gate because all that is on the screen is a black screen, the boxes for each entry and the submit button that I cannot click, even using the tab button to change with thing on the screen I'm interacting with. :( It works fine at home, but not at work. I wish there was an option to access the old website format so I can view things during breaks at work.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still don't like it.

My page loads. I go to click on notifications, and JUST as I do so, the banner loads, and I end up clicking on that instead of what I'd meant to.

At least it's not jumping up and down now.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't we just go back to the original forum layout? It was fine. Then we had the moving screen with the black header, and now that's gone we have an absurd pause with a dark screen every time we click on something.
  • Loc2262
    Loc2262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I wonder why they had to fix something that wasn't even broken. Like back then when they introduced the "ready check" in the LFG tool. And all hell broke loose...
    Kind regards,
    Frank
    PC-EU, 12 chars, 900+CP
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forum is still horribly slow. I suspect partially because it always loads stuff from external domains. I saw it pulls stuff from Google and who knows what else.

Also, bump for the "mark read" feature.
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A few comments on the desktop version:
    • The black screen and fade-in feels really weird. Especially when the site/Internet lags a bit and you get an empty screen for 5-10 seconds. This also breaks the site for people who want JS disabled. The fact that the site loads instantly and is just hidden by setting its opacity to 0 is just an odd design choice (you want the site to at least appear to load as quickly as possible even if some things are dynamically still loading).
    • Assuming you get rid of the initial black screen then the header bar takes a few seconds to load and pop-in/push everything down. I assume you hid everything initially to wait for the header to appear which is the definition of fixing the wrong thing. You don't need a fancy header that is loaded/displayed at load time ...just a fixed size header that doesn't rearrange content on load (there are many ways to make the header load time dynamic and not have the pop-in/push-down issue).
    • Still a bit large for my tastes and wastes space. You could reduce the height of the Categories/DevTracker/... bar to match the height of the menu/title bar. Remove or lighten the horizontal gold line between them. Or better yet, just have one bar and push the Categories/... into the top bar pushing the ESO header to the left or right side.
    Edited by Reorx_Holybeard on August 10, 2017 4:28PM
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
    Founder/Admin of www.uesp.net -- UESP ESO Guilds
    Creator of the "Best" ESO Build Editor
    I'm on a quest to build the world's toughest USB drive!
  • Rouven
    Rouven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's fine now, nothing jumping and not too big. (on PC)
    Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. ~ Terry Pratchett
  • qsnoopyjr
    qsnoopyjr
    ✭✭✭✭
    I aint got time to read through all this, but I did a poll,
    1. Nobody loves it/likes it
    2. 66% hate it
    3. 11% think its not an issue and other improvements to forum should be focus
    4. 22% hate it, and also hate when it asks for your age

Me personally, I don't like stuff that loads later and pushes stuff down. Makes me feel like I got a virus, because viruses are usually some kind of ad "your computer needs to be checked" and pushes stuff down.

Also, I know where I'm going, I don't need an app feeling to the forum, "dev tracker, categories, recent", I know where I want to go on the forums.

One other thing, add a message board to the forums. So you have real time chatting. Forums is old school (good for thought out discussions), but its 2017 so add real time chat too.

Some people just want a quick discussion, they don't want some serious 20 pager discussion, thats where real time chat is great for. You forum developers just need to work it out so discussions can be turned into a forum discussion if everyone is talking about a topic. Have something so people can flag a topic of the forums and chat in real time about it.

Its 2017 brah, Twich, Facebook live, YouTube live... Real Time chats.
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FYI, you can remove the initial black screen and stop the header from pushing things down by the following user JavaScript code (I use a Chrome addon that runs this automatically):
    	$('#vanilla_categories_index').css('opacity',1);
    	$('#vanilla_discussion_index').css('opacity',1);
    	$('#vanilla_discussion_comment').css('opacity', 1);
    	$('#dashboard_root_tracker').css('opacity', 1);
    	$('.Container').css('margin-top', '101px');

Also there may be issue with mixing HTTPS and HTTP content on discussions using external image links (Imgur in the case I saw).

Also just found an issue with using a double-quote in a code block which results in:
    "

instead of the actual " character.

Edited by Reorx_Holybeard on August 10, 2017 4:52PM
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank You for fixing and removing it.
    now can you please do the same with it ingame?
    i hate the messages in my center of screen. just hate it.
    please make them go to the chat box or perhaps the side of the screen instead of right in our faces.
  • Remag_Div
    Remag_Div
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »

But now, on each page reload or switch, the screen turns a brown pattern first and then the page fades in.

One step forward, two steps back. lol

No idea why switching pages is not instantaneous like the old design. The banner change is definitely WAY better but having that small brown wall loading screen after every click gets old very fast.
  • Leogon
    Leogon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanna talk about something that has nothing to do with the new website.

Why do you ask for my birth date? There's no adult content on this site and you seem to delete/edit adult content on the forums so why? I've never received a crown store discount code or something on my birthday so again, why do you ask for my birth date? I have to give it to you every time I clear my data and it's annoying. If there was a reason for it, I wouldn't mind but there isn't.
  • Reorx_Holybeard
    Reorx_Holybeard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loc2262 wrote: »

One step forward, two steps back. lol

No idea why switching pages is not instantaneous like the old design. The banner change is definitely WAY better but having that small brown wall loading screen after every click gets old very fast.

That's the strange thing about the new design. The main forum content does load instantaneous or close to it but it is hidden until the new top banner loads and then everything is faded in. If you use the custom JS I posted previously you can see the page content can be made visible like before.
    Reorx Holybeard -- NA/PC
This discussion has been closed.