The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Zenimax, would a high resolution texture pack for PC be possible?

Octopuss
Octopuss
✭✭✭✭✭
I've owned the game for about a week (oops, been over 3 months now) and I love it. It is beautiful. One "little" problem though... the textures are extremely low resolution. You could say "don't stick your nose right against that wall, but the problem is, I can clearly see this even when I'm few metres away.
There are high resolution textures and "reasonably resolutioned" textures. If it was at least the latter, I probably wouldn't mind too much.
But this is a game from 2014, and yet I see these abominations everywhere:
NaV2zsk.jpg
Just look at the grass! And the lower part of the pillar. The game is full of textures like this :(
This i simply bad. Not even Skyrim, which is 3 years older, has so blurry textures.

Or this:
uTulqP2.jpg
Large landscape textures should be higher resolution than the rest, otherwise exactly this happens.

GzeECQl.jpg
full resolution: https://i.imgur.com/GzeECQl.jpg
You think this is acceptable in a game like this with the amount of money that comes in? Think again.

Part of the problem possibly is bad UV mapping on lots of textures too. Combined with unacceptably low resolution, the result is horrendous.

I am fully aware the game was developed for both consoles and PC, and the less powerful of the two probably kind of set the limitations, but this leaves PC players in a bit sad position. Lots of us have higher end PCs (or basically way above the hardware found in consoles) more than capable of of using higher resolution textures. Heck, it's not even about having powerful graphic card, it's only about the amount of VRAM. I have almost everything on ultra, and the game still barely uses above 2GB. A mediocre 4GB card (which a lot of people have) would be just enough for this.

I'm not even asking for 4k everything or something, but large part of textures desperately cry for either: 1) twofold or so resolution increase, or 2) complete rework (unlikely I guess), because the detail just isn't there.

So, in conclusion:
Could we get an optional high(er) resolution texture pack for PC version of the game? It would tremendously increase the game's visual quality. Most of us have the hardware to use it![/b]
And actually, now that Xbox One X is coming out (and I guess a lot of people will upgrade), even part of the console crowd could benefit from this.
@ZOS_GinaBruno
@ZOS_JessicaFolsom

edit: Update 30.12.: updated pictures
Edited by Octopuss on January 8, 2018 8:34AM
  • Araviel2
    Araviel2
    ✭✭✭
    i would love a HD pack, but don't forget about the HD space, ESO is already taking a good chunk.
    imagine how much space a HD pack would take
    Araviel -Professional Zerg surfing mutagen spammer [DC-EU]
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good point, however we're not talking about all of the game's textures. Just some. Plus it wouldn't be additional textures, just higher resolution. I don't think few extra gigabytes would hurt.
  • Electrone_Magnus
    Electrone_Magnus
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree the game has outright terrible textures for a 2014 game. Hope they make a graphics update soon and it looks as good as Skyrim special edition :) .
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its gonna be like a HD-pack for Fallout 4 then no thanks. The pack is bigger then the game itself (nearly 50gb) and they specs they said you needed for it were off the charts. Turned out: a average computer can download the pack, as long as you have the space, because it didnt add much extra or better textures. Go good, or go home. Goes for ESO as well.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh the F4 pack I still don't know what to make of. Instead of releasing like, you know - higher resolution textures, they released - I hope I'm correct - uncompressed textures that added little to no extra.
  • RupzSkooma
    RupzSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well +1000 to this .
    And of course make it optional like Oldrim , fallout 4 and other games .
    I don't mind the size as long as it is optional.

Edited by RupzSkooma on August 3, 2017 11:29AM
    Elder Kings II is a Role Playing Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings III.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another example, one of so many.
    8nbeZxI.jpg
    full resolution

Really, this is horrible, and I would almost say unacceptable for a game that's just three years old.
    Guys, please!!
    Edited by Octopuss on August 4, 2017 12:49PM
  • RupzSkooma
    RupzSkooma
    ✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    Another example, one of so many.
    8nbeZxI.jpg
    full resolution

Really, this is horrible, and I would almost say unacceptable for a game that's just three years old.
    Guys, please!!

As much as I love the idea .
    Edit your post rather than posting a new one .
    As it bump the thread which people might not like . :smile:

Elder Kings II is a Role Playing Elder Scrolls mod for Crusader Kings III.
  • Vyle_Byte
    Vyle_Byte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I love the idea .
    Edit your post rather than posting a new one .
    As it bump the thread which people might not like . :smile:

There's absolutely nothing wrong with posting another comment rather than adding it to the OP, its called continuing a discussion. Bumping the thread would be coming in and just saying "Bump", which the mods don't like.

Member of the Old Guard
    Mother of the Byte Family
    Vyle Byte||Ivana Byte||Vyible Byte||Hakate Vampler Former EMPRESS BWB||Haan Zolo {Retired} (He swung first)||Lunari ||Wardyn Chalyk Tahno||Dirti Dianah||Bonnie||
    Viva la Byte
  • mesmerizedish
    mesmerizedish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a good point, however we're not talking about all of the game's textures. Just some. Plus it wouldn't be additional textures, just higher resolution. I don't think few extra gigabytes would hurt.

Every bump up increases the used disk space by a factor of four. You're not looking at a "few extra gigabytes," you're looking at dozens of extra gigabytes.

I'm all for higher-resolution textures, but ESO already takes up 56GB on my hard drive, and it could easily hit 100GB if they increased the resolution of all the blurry vanilla textures. I think too few people would be willing to use it to make such a thing worth it.
  • AhPook_Is_Here
    AhPook_Is_Here
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be super happy if they just fixed the bug where if you return to a texture it only reloads in super low rez.
    “Whatever.”
    -Unknown American
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You can already get high res textures by changing the usersetting.ini file. Have a look here and enjoy a more pretty game: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/328pxp/media_graphic_tweaks_via_usersettingsini_to_go/
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • blnchk
    blnchk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think too few people would be willing to use it to make such a thing worth it.

Depends. It may not seem worth it on an SSD, but HDDs are dirt cheap and thus provide disk space galore. I'd welcome having the option, at the very least.

• Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Every bump up increases the used disk space by a factor of four. You're not looking at a "few extra gigabytes," you're looking at dozens of extra gigabytes.
    Why four? What's the math behind this?
    Also, I repeat: it's not ALL the game's textures. It's just "some" of them. Of course, it's not a few, but not most by any means.
    I'll happily take dozens of extra GBs anyway if the game looks significantly better then - and it would.
    Storage is dirt cheap nowadays, even SSDs.
    You can already get high res textures by changing the usersetting.ini file. Have a look here and enjoy a more pretty game: https://www.reddit.com/r/elderscrollsonline/comments/328pxp/media_graphic_tweaks_via_usersettingsini_to_go/
    That has nothing to do with the resolution of textures.
    That post describes - as far as I understand - a method of forcing the game to render distant textures in their full resolution - BUT that resolution is way too low to begin with. It also doesn't matter for stuff that's right next to you.
    Edited by Octopuss on August 4, 2017 5:50PM
  • Night_Watch
    Night_Watch
    ✭✭✭

Possibly some are thinking of this (or similar); https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square–cube_law

I remember a story about a colosus (maybe rhodes) wherin the client wanted it twice as big but ran out of money or materials for the build. The idea in the story was that twice as big needs four times the material. This is a story I was told in childhood some 35 - 40 years ago though and my memory aint'nt the best!

Back on subject; I suspect that, good as they would be, higher resolution textures could cause problems for some as tried to use them on a machine not 'beefy' enough who would then whinge about it. Of course this could be coded around. I would probably welcome, maybe even purchase, a 'HI - RES' pack / addon (ZOS made).

Edited by Night_Watch on August 4, 2017 6:18PM
    "If there is an underlying oneness of all things, it does not matter where we begin, whether with stars, or laws of supply and demand, or frogs, or Napoleon Bonaparte. One measures a circle, beginning anywhere."

Charles Fort - Lo! (1931)
  • mesmerizedish
    mesmerizedish
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I repeat: it's not ALL the game's textures. It's just "some" of them. Of course, it's not a few, but not most by any means.
    I'll happily take dozens of extra GBs anyway if the game looks significantly better then - and it would.

Textures are two-dimensional. Going from, for example 512 to 1024 is actually going from 512^2 to 1024^2.

I'm sure you would happily take the extra disk space. I would too. But MMOs by their nature want to cast as wide a net as possible, which means they have to support older and lower-end hardware. I'm not sure if ESO's backend even has the kind of systems in place that would support an optional download, and if it doesn't, it would mean that even if a player is going to set their texture quality to a lower setting, they would still need to download and store all the art at its full resolution.

Additionally, it's very possible that they don't even have higher-resolution source art to work with. Look at Skyrim Special Edition. They claimed that most textures were higher resolution, but for the most part, it was the original game's textures upscaled with a filter, not a true high-res re-rendering. I cannot imagine why they would do that unless they didn't have access to the original .psds.

I'm not saying I don't want higher-resolution world textures, or even that I wouldn't use them if offered. But there are significant obstacles that would make such an endeavor impracticable.
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    20170718202659_1.jpg

Add ons
    Edited by Tasear on August 4, 2017 7:33PM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Additionally, it's very possible that they don't even have higher-resolution source art to work with.
    That's what I fear too. But still, this should had been done properly during development. Create sufficiently high resolution stuff and downscale it if needed (like for consoles).
    I also find it difficult to imagine that THIS is the highest resolution stuff they could come up with. It's low enough for smaller objects, but to do this to world textures like walls, mountain slabs etc. is h-o-r-r-i-b-l-e.

P.S. Don't even start about Skyrim SE :( What they did with the textures is disgusting. And I'm still waiting for SKSE and usable mod manager.

P.S. lol at my basic math failure :D
    Edited by Octopuss on August 4, 2017 7:57PM
  • Wreuntzylla
    Wreuntzylla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Textures are two-dimensional. Going from, for example 512 to 1024 is actually going from 512^2 to 1024^2.

I'm sure you would happily take the extra disk space. I would too. But MMOs by their nature want to cast as wide a net as possible, which means they have to support older and lower-end hardware. I'm not sure if ESO's backend even has the kind of systems in place that would support an optional download, and if it doesn't, it would mean that even if a player is going to set their texture quality to a lower setting, they would still need to download and store all the art at its full resolution.

Additionally, it's very possible that they don't even have higher-resolution source art to work with. Look at Skyrim Special Edition. They claimed that most textures were higher resolution, but for the most part, it was the original game's textures upscaled with a filter, not a true high-res re-rendering. I cannot imagine why they would do that unless they didn't have access to the original .psds.

I'm not saying I don't want higher-resolution world textures, or even that I wouldn't use them if offered. But there are significant obstacles that would make such an endeavor impracticable.

The 3D roadmap has consumer storage space as an obstacle as well. However, the prevalent thought is that the result even now is so good, once enough games are ported to it, consumers will upgrade.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 3D roadmap has consumer storage space as an obstacle as well. However, the prevalent thought is that the result even now is so good, once enough games are ported to it, consumers will upgrade.
    What is this? Please explain.
    Also, a roadmap?
    Edited by Octopuss on August 4, 2017 8:21PM
  • jcaceresw
    jcaceresw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just a HD texture pack? They should update the outdoors and indoor 3D models to match the quality given with Morrowind DLC (sorry, chapter).

Also, consider a high quality texture will also affect people playing PVP. Most of them adjust their settings to very low quality in order to leverage the lag they suffer (I hate PVP but know the problems they face because I am forced to go there to get the skyshards and do the PVE content).

If ZOS implement this feature, it should be enabled in Settings (by default is off)
  • jcaceresw
    jcaceresw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm all for higher-resolution textures, but ESO already takes up 56GB on my hard drive, and it could easily hit 100GB if they increased the resolution of all the blurry vanilla textures. I think too few people would be willing to use it to make such a thing worth it.

Maybe ZOS should put in the launcher settings the option to download the HD pack. This way people do not feel forced to download it (specially console or with very limited internet bandwidth players)
  • DBZVelena
    DBZVelena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tasear wrote: »

Add ons

Add ons do not let you retexture things in a mmo.
    All that the add ons do in ESO is some type of UI thing. they can be incredible UI things, offering all kinds of stuff, but none can actually change the texture of something in the game.
    (It might even violate the games ToS)

So, no. Only remote way you could get this, is if Zenimax did it.

The reason why this type of this is possible for Skyrim, but not ESO is because Skyrim is mostly played offline. And so can have as high or low as texture resolution as the player wants.
    But ESO has to (if they were to do this, which i doubt) both pay for the server costs of sending the higher texture packs to everybody. the cost of making the pack and then there is the issue where people will complain because these high textures take up to much disk space "when i don't even use them" <-- complaint most often seen on forums then.
    What are Natch Potes? Can you eat those?
    I believe in Genie-Gina.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcaceresw wrote: »
    Just a HD texture pack? They should update the outdoors and indoor 3D models to match the quality given with Morrowind DLC (sorry, chapter).
    True, some of the models could use improvements. But then you'd have more polygons being rendered and that's where problems would start. From my amateur observations the engine is not the best optimized piece of software out there...
    But yes, whenever I see crude low poly models and sharp edges on character bodies, something dies a little inside me.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you guys are going hi-def, I want widescreen capability.

I'm at 2560x1080, and looking to go 4K soon.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • jcaceresw
    jcaceresw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DBZVelena wrote: »
    Tasear wrote: »

Add ons

Add ons do not let you retexture things in a mmo.
    All that the add ons do in ESO is some type of UI thing. they can be incredible UI things, offering all kinds of stuff, but none can actually change the texture of something in the game.
    (It might even violate the games ToS)

So, no. Only remote way you could get this, is if Zenimax did it.

The reason why this type of this is possible for Skyrim, but not ESO is because Skyrim is mostly played offline. And so can have as high or low as texture resolution as the player wants.
    But ESO has to (if they were to do this, which i doubt) both pay for the server costs of sending the higher texture packs to everybody. the cost of making the pack and then there is the issue where people will complain because these high textures take up to much disk space "when i don't even use them" <-- complaint most often seen on forums then.

Agree on you. Maybe it should be sold in the crown store and have the option to turn off the feature through the in-game Settings options (only for PC, consoles will explode)
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I wouldn't have a problem paying for high resolution pack of sorts.
  • twev
    twev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jcaceresw wrote: »
    True, some of the models could use improvements. But then you'd have more polygons being rendered and that's where problems would start. From my amateur observations the engine is not the best optimized piece of software out there...
    But yes, whenever I see crude low poly models and sharp edges on character bodies, something dies a little inside me.

Better game options shouldn't be restricted to lowest common denominator of an individual player's older/weaker hardware..

The base game is available for last years hardware.

If you have vidcards running SLI/Crossfire, a larger SSD and the willingness to download the software/larger graphics pak for additional $$ - I say we ought be able to take the ball and run with it.

There's no point in crippling better graphics for the people who value it just to be 'democratic' for the sake of insisting that anyone's stale bread crust is exactly as stale as everyone else's stale bread crust.
    The problem with society these days is that no one drinks from the skulls of their enemies anymore.

PC/NA, i7 with 32 gigs of ram, nVME cards and an nVidea 1060 over fiber.
    I don't play through Steam, ever.
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have updated the first post (and added album of several more examples) and tried to invoke our community managers. Maybe, just maybe this will get to the devs.
    @ZOS_GinaBruno
    @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
    Edited by Octopuss on November 6, 2017 2:33PM
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Picture of the week:
    xuSVXbi.jpg

full resolution: https://i.imgur.com/xuSVXbi.jpg
    Edited by Octopuss on December 1, 2017 2:10PM