The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Zenimax, would a high resolution texture pack for PC be possible?

• xeNNNNN
    xeNNNNN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Araviel2 wrote: »
    i would love a HD pack, but don't forget about the HD space, ESO is already taking a good chunk.
    imagine how much space a HD pack would take

Concerning AAA titles;

Most games these days are already hitting 80GB to 100GB+ anyway, general consensus among most devs is the assumption of an SSD user side for OS then storage HDD for games or multiple usually about 1TB. Dont really see that being a problem, I often uninstall the games im not playing most of the time.
    Edited by xeNNNNN on January 22, 2018 3:33PM
    Ah, e-communities - the "pinnacle" of the internet............yeah, right.
    Options
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please read what mipmaps are and how are they used.
    Nothing is downscaled if you're standing right next to it. It could if there was a bug involved, but I highly doubt every single texture in ESO is bugged.
    Options
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Octopuss wrote: »
    Please read what mipmaps are and how are they used.
    Nothing is downscaled if you're standing right next to it. It could if there was a bug involved, but I highly doubt every single texture in ESO is bugged.

I'm aware of how games are designed. :smile: You're making an assumption regarding when and to what degree an object is downscaled by the game engine when it's controllable by the designers and the default is 0. This is not the first game to exist where objects are scaled down disproportionately from the rest of the environment or textures, yes even when standing next to them, and when done it's by design. ESO was among the last of the MMOs to go this route of true texturing with high geometry while newer games now use all manner of trickery.

https://www.pluralsight.com/blog/film-games/texturing-games-maintain-high-level-detail-without-extra-geometry
    Options
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted a little earlier in the thread that I already use the -3 setting for mipmaps in the game's .ini file though. I would say there is a high probability that the screenshots I post here are of textures in their maximum resolution.

But yes, the game is full of questionable design choices. Anyone who has ever used the Hook to disable the fog will instantly know what I'm on about. It's not very nice considering what year the game came out.
    Options
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be Frank, the vanilla base game zones need an overhaul.
    The Dungeons and the DLC have more thought, effort, time, and resources put into them.

If you go back and watch advertisemrnts for ESO from 2013-2014. They almost entiely show off the dungeons becuase they know that the dungeons were some of their best work.
    So they need to thake that amount of effort that they put into the dungeons, and DLCs, and put them inot the vanilla zones.

Look at the vanilla motifs. IMO They are bland, generic, and uninspired
    Places like Falkreath Hold and Selene's Web actually feel like forests rather than empty plains with some trees spotting the landscape.
    THe rocks in Vvardenfel and other DLCs are far superior to the ones we see in the base game. The DLCs actually take environment and tone into account when world building and creating assets.

here are vaious shots of base game zones.
    eduju80.png

7PJBg2E.png

TsqJxHb.png

Cq7BU2W.png

zITRMQp.png

jIEDYsg.png

cNcjTk2.png

Ubf4AwE.png

Here are shots of DLCs and Dungeons
    dUDCuPC.png

7vzhNfD.png

dWwXbzD.png

FP0MbqB.png

gIcAIep.png

0EaIcqm.png

KeL7JWO.png

b1nWNqE.png

Z0B8tai.png

hHvPXeR.png

7MuSWkh.png

Edited by Iccotak on January 22, 2018 7:02PM
    Options
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha, with the screenshots being downscaled, it gives the impression the game is really hires :D
    Options
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Playing in the base game zones is honestly a bore and is visually disappointing now that I have played the Dungeons.
    I am honestly addicted to the dungeons because of how fun and visually distinct/appealing they are.
    Options
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iccotak wrote: »
    To be Frank, the vanilla base game zones need an overhaul.
    The Dungeons and the DLC have more thought, effort, time, and resources put into them.

If you go back and watch advertisemrnts for ESO from 2013-2014. They almost entiely show off the dungeons becuase they know that the dungeons were some of their best work.

This probably has to do with how the original game had a different RAM cap. ESO was originally made as a 32-bit client.

I still remember complaints from beta about even high end computers getting performance issues in certain areas. Grahtwood and most of the AD areas were basically death to framerates. They've come a long way since then in improving optimization as well as raising the usable memory by switching to 64-bit. Meanwhile, the Ebonheart players enjoyed a mostly lag-free easygoing leveling experience because it was clearly the most tested and optimized alliance with minimal foliage.

These new DLCs were developed under a different level of hardware strain as well as advancing with technology's capabilities (which is kind of why Clockwork City lags for some).
    Options
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why development teams are now made out of more artists than actual programmers, and why games are released bugged, incomplete, and DLC's are just reskinning of -stuff-. Because what's important isn't the gameplay anymore, its how shiny stuff is

geez.
    Options
  • LordSemaj
    LordSemaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That actually has more to do with the rise of development toolsets. Most of the programming is built into the game engine and the toolset can assign basic scripting functions to create quests and simple stuff. To flesh out a huge world of thousands of quests and monsters with special looking attacks you don't need an army of programmers. You need an army of content designers who don't need any programming experience to do their job. Game companies tend to keep a few programmers on hand because they are the only ones who actually know how to code a new feature or fix a bug because they understand how the engine works. But usually most of the programming team gets laid off the instant the game is released as they aren't needed to create new DLCs. Everything from UI changes to new set bonuses can be done through the content creator toolset so what you really need is an army of artists. Programming is complex and requires degree-level understanding while teaching someone how to copy-paste a mountain where they want it to go and link an NPC to a dialogue window with an auto-generated script that hands out the selected quest reward can be done relatively easily.

Programmers have been replaced by scripts.
    Options
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And THIS, ladies and gentlemen, is why development teams are now made out of more artists than actual programmers, and why games are released bugged, incomplete, and DLC's are just reskinning of -stuff-. Because what's important isn't the gameplay anymore, its how shiny stuff is
    geez.
    You are wrong.
    In this time and age, there is NOTHING that could prevent a game from being well programmed AND have nice visuals.
    Edited by Octopuss on January 22, 2018 8:39PM
    Options
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geez.
    You are wrong.
    In this time and age, there is NOTHING that could prevent a game from being well programmed AND have nice visuals.

So true. Why can't we have quality game play and quality graphics? As noted, they are fulfilled by different skill sets.

High quality graphics with poor game play is not good, but high quality graphics with great game play is great.
    Options
  • Tasear
    Tasear
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What the heck is this...
    xgO3wCa.jpg
    full size:https://i.imgur.com/xgO3wCa.jpg

Jesus
    Edited by Tasear on January 23, 2018 5:23AM
    Options
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, the furnishings are killing me.
    E6747r7.png
    qdsKpPb.png
    bnPIJkA.png
    EHDdlEb.png

What's your favourite? :D:#
    ZOS, please!
    Edited by Octopuss on January 26, 2018 9:18AM
    Options
  • coplannb16_ESO
    coplannb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    a graphics update would be appreciated in general (DX12). better textures certainly would improve the look a lot. Most people should have 4-8 GB memory on their graphic cards by now (I got 8), so there is no reason to use such outdated quality textures.
    max level: mDK, stamBlade, stamSorc, magPlar, mDen, stamDen, magBlade, stamCro
    ESO+
    # of mules: 4 (FULL)
    maxed bank: FULL -_-
    Stop the grind! Get rid of stupid events and daily-quest gallore. Get rid of "have a chance of 1 in a million to get a piece of 1 in 30 to get a stupid motif or pet... wtf..."
    And at this point just remove all classes and have everyone choose their set of skills. then balance accordingly to skills always used vs. skills never used.
    Options
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some more to make your weekend more enjoyable.
    4nb2uro.jpg
    JiECWMC.jpg
    wfjvTa9.jpg
    (full resolution for best experience: https://i.imgur.com/wfjvTa9.jpg)
    Edited by Octopuss on February 4, 2018 12:09PM
    Options
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UV mapping. You're doing it wrong.
    7VsDiVU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/7VsDiVU.jpg
    Edited by Octopuss on February 18, 2018 11:57AM
    Options
  • klowdy1
    klowdy1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LordSemaj wrote: »
    ak_pvp wrote: »
    Jade1986 wrote: »
    Completely agree the game has outright terrible textures for a 2014 game. Hope they make a graphics update soon and it looks as good as Skyrim special edition :) .

Its a 2014 MMO. MMOs generally have lower textures otherwise the games would run like a slug stuck to super glue.

BDO.

Bad example. BDO actually has terrible texturing, turn off all your settings to see the game for how it truly is. All of BDO's prettiness comes from post processing. Imagine if you could constantly photoshop the game in real time. This is what BDO actually looks like without all its enhancements.

_id1457115860_705198.jpg

BDO and all newer games cheat. ESO and FFXIV were the last two actually high def MMOs, all the newer ones are using shortcuts to conserve memory usage with lower polygon models. Even games like Destiny are built on the illusion of high def graphics rather than actually being so. The next game to use this level of technology will be Star Citizen.

Even the rock you're standing on needs some texture detailing. Those distant trees are pretty bad though.
    Options
  • red_emu
    red_emu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never gonna happen. Forget it. It does not provide ZOS with extra money and that's the only thing they care about lately. Quality improvements are so far on the back burner they're crawling up the back splash
    PC - EU:
    Falathren Noctis - AD MagNecro
    Falathren - AD StamSorc
    Falathren Eryndaer - AD StamDen
    Falathren Irimion - AD MagPlar
    Talagan Falathren - AD StamDK
    Falathren Infernis - AD MagDK
    Your-Ex - AD MagBlade
    Options
  • LadyAstrum
    LadyAstrum
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy seeing some of the older motifs retextured, such as wood elf. I like the styles but the textures on some of them look ugly.
    Edited by LadyAstrum on February 18, 2018 2:23PM
    ~ "You think me brutish? How do you imagine I view you?" - Molag Bal #misunderstood ~
    Options
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geez.
    You are wrong.

a bit late sry.

So development teams are not made out of more artists than actual programmers?
    Games aren't released bugged and incomplete?
    DLC's (and I dont mean eso dlcs here but all dlcs across everything) aren't just skins?

I feel you decided I was wrong on the mood of my post and not the actual points I was making; It's ok though but in doing so you did assume something incorrect.

I don't think there are no games out there still being well programmed and have nice visuals. I do think there are less and less. I think there ARE things that can prevent a game from being so. Namely the fact that you don't have anything to show a marketing team with half a coded game where as you DO have something to show marketing if you have 8 new texture packs.

So while this doesn't really have anything to do with my original post that was about players seemingly attaching more and more importance to visuals than a working bug free game (in general) - and the industry's knowledge of this, pushing for more visuals than rock solid code; It does counter your own post about me.

:)
    Options
  • Milvan
    Milvan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude, just let it go. Stop bumping your own thread.
    “Kings of the land and the sky we are; proud gryphons.” Stalker stands, the epitome of pride. Naked and muscular, his wings widen and his feet dig in as if he alone holds down the earth and supports the heavens, keeping the two ever separate.”
    Gryphons guild - @Milvan,
    Options
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milvan wrote: »
    Dude, just let it go. Stop bumping your own thread.
    Feel free not to open it. Isn't it actually 2nd time you added this useless comment here?
    Options
  • Octopuss
    Octopuss
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump for all PC players.
    Options
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is one way to do it. BDO has released a remastered version. ZOS needs to move ahead to avoid falling behind.

There are two aspects to the patch, the graphics remastering, which is optional and can be toggled via the options menu; and the audio remastering, which is forced, and will swap out all current audio with the remastered versions.

As for the remastered graphics, this has been added as new ‘Highest (Remastered)’ and ‘Ultra’ options, in the graphics settings. The ‘Highest (Remastered)’ setting has been optimized as such that people who currently play on ‘Very High’ should be able to switch to the new option without any issues.

Here are some comparison pictures, with the older graphics on the left, and remastered graphics on the right:

Read more at http://www.siliconera.com/2018/08/21/black-desert-onlines-remastered-patch-goes-live-tomorrow-in-japan/#lSoCTV2DSJ2ytWD0.99
    Options
  • remilafo
    remilafo
    ✭✭✭✭
    ON PC. Sorry Console..

Use sweetfx or other similar post-processing graphic injector. Turn those textures from bland to GRAND!! profit.
    Options
  • JasonSilverSpring
    JasonSilverSpring
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    remilafo wrote: »
    ON PC. Sorry Console..

Use sweetfx or other similar post-processing graphic injector. Turn those textures from bland to GRAND!! profit.

While sweetfx or Nvidia filters can help visually, they do not improve low resolution textures.
    Options
  • PatrickJr
    PatrickJr
    Soul Shriven
    As awesome as it sounds, I doubt it, unless there was a way addons could replace textures.
    For the brotherhood!
    Options