The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Why is there a furniture limit anyway?

• notimetocare
    notimetocare
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Erris wrote: »
    Sigtric wrote: »
    I'm at about 558/600 items on my Amaya Lake property and when you first zone in it takes several seconds for all the trees I put in the yard to pop in.

This is why there is a furniture limit. They have to balance it against performance.

I would gladly wait a few more seconds for double or triple the amount of items allowed.

A few more seconds wouldn't be the issue with more. Crashing, hangups, and complaints would be
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mitoice wrote: »
    the problem is with database storage.. not rendering...
    How do I know this??

Have you entered Maelstrom arena?

It a replica of Hunding Hall but with 10x more items allowed and NOBODY has had a problrm rendering it... another thing... why a big statue counts the same as a small apple? this seems like a storage issue ans not a rendering one

So my guess is database storage....
    However the items don't take much storage place.
    Its just an collection if ID and position data.
    You would just need an object id, id for instance, you could trow in user id, flag if item is bound, perhaps id for house and if inside / outside, then position and rotation use 8 bit for id, 8+8+8+4+4+2*6= 44 bytes for each item non optimized.
    say 100 bytes because of database indexes and gaps. Say 10 million players total players including future and we get one gigabyte for all storing one item, 1 terabyte for 1000 items.
    You could handle housing with an seperate database server as they only load and is active then you enter.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • reiverx
    reiverx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not just the fact that the limit is low, it's low to the point that it's highly restrictive.
  • RANKK7
    RANKK7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should put a big warning that a higher number of items than the one recommended could cause issue and that's it. At that point everyone is responsible for their own houses and the time would have to wait to load or any graphic artifacts could encounter.
    But leaving the item slots at this ridiculous low number is just awful, it's awful for us since we cannot enjoy empty houses and housing really lose any appeal.
    Awful for them since they are losing a lot of cash, there are several houses I would buy and many furniture from the store and I'm not even thinking about it since the items slots number is so low, where is the fun to decorate? It's just lame as it is now, look at large empty houses, not to mention manors, even some medium ones look so empty.

They really should decide what the hell they are going to do with this issue, I would like to know asap so that I don't even bother checking the Crown Store housing showcase.
    lll
    "I really don't know who the **** came off with this change. Definitely somebody who does not play the game, that's for sure".
    lll
  • Gelmir
    Gelmir
    ✭✭✭
    Number of items affecting rendering is total bollocks. Houses in Rift for example, can have up to 3500 items in them. They are quite renderable, even with lowest spec PC. Not to mention, if someone is stuck in a house coz of this - just for the sake of argument - they could easily lower graphics settings, get in, get out and revert their settings back.

The argument of Db size is also invalid: in 2020, all kinds of Db for such a big app like ESO is clustered/partitioned. The size of Db is immaterial at this time and age. Let alone speed and all those tech metrics.

Overall, this definitely is about money. The same reason why we don't have Auction House and are stuck with 100 Traders which can have 500 members each with 30 items listed for each (100 x 500 x 30 = 1.5 mill auctioned items at any given time, max). 1.5 mill auctioned items are abysmal at best. It's plain shameful at best. ZOS being lazy and/or greedy is plain and simple ugly - that's the best wording one could describe this whole affair.
    Edited by Gelmir on July 20, 2020 12:00AM
    Check-out ~~ GuildPlanner.Pro ~~ Your Ultimate Guild & Character Management Tool
    ★ Lodge of Sorceresses [PC/EU] - LF Serious PvEers: Midgame to Endgame Growth! ★ We NEED You! | Join Discord Server | Youtube Channel
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Necro. There are more recent threads that could be used.

Here is one: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/512076/february-2020-furnishing-limit-status-update/p1
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • bluebird
    bluebird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    Yep. :lol:
    thread_necromancer_card_3.jpg
  • NyassaV
    NyassaV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Consoles
    Flawless Conqueror ~ Grand Overlord
    She/Her ~ PC/NA | I record things for fun and for info
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I know the particle effects start failing to show, once you have a certain number of them in one place.

For example, I have a lot of lights in the Hew's Bane Palace and then, on top of that, it has a lot of (built-in) fountains.

You still see the light eminating from all the braziers, but some of them stop showing a flame and some of the fountains stop flowing.

Even when this has happened, there is still no noticable lag, though.

So, whether that is a good enough reason to stop people placing a few more simple items, like potatoes, or carrots, is highly debatable...

• Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Draqone wrote: »
    Betheny wrote: »
    Pretty sure my rig could deal with a good 3x the limit and probably even more.

@Betheny
    One, consoles already suck at rendering ESO.

Two, imagine a friend with a weaker PC enters your home, gets stuck because his PC can't handle all that furniture.
    It'd require him to send in a ticket and customer support would have to move his character.

Three, they dont want to keep huge databases on the servers because someone wants 1000000 chairs.

I'm no expert re. what is possible and what is not, but wouldn't it be likely that it would be possible for them to put in a mechanic that means that, if someone can't load into another person's home, they get automatically ported back to where they were?

Rather than having to put in a ticket.

Also, it's hard to believe that that would happen at only slightly over 700 slots.

Especially if they differentiated beween tiny, simple items, like potatoes and huge and highly complicated ones.

They could, for example, say up to 700 items of any kind, plus 300 additional items of a small/simple nature.

Or in fact, 500 items of any kind, plus an additional 500 items of a non-huge and simple nature.

Whichever would work.
    Edited by Tigerseye on July 20, 2020 5:59AM
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gelmir wrote: »
    Number of items affecting rendering is total bollocks. Houses in Rift for example, can have up to 3500 items in them. They are quite renderable, even with lowest spec PC. Not to mention, if someone is stuck in a house coz of this - just for the sake of argument - they could easily lower graphics settings, get in, get out and revert their settings back.

Sounds like a relatively terrible argument considering they don't even use the same engine? "My Skyrim game can handle 95230 items in my modded playthrough on my PC and works just fine! Why can't ESO?!"
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we maybe not keep raising this thread from 2017? Elsonso already pointed out ZOS' comment on the topic. Let this one die already, guys.

39bkzf.jpg
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have closed this thread as it is old and the information within may be out of date. You can create a new thread to continue this discussion to ensure that all of the information will be as up to date as possible. Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.