The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [IN PROGRESS] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A New Race? Hmm...

• WhitePawPrints
    WhitePawPrints
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LILMOTHIIT
    Yeah, I know. Extinct. This really depends on exactly when that outbreak of the flu was prior to the start of ESO's story. I saw one comment mention as early as 40 years prior, in which case, no. But I generally seem to see about 10 years prior, which would be totally doable. A common effect of some plagues ( I believe this was common with smallpox for example) is sterility. If the few survivors of the Knahaten Flu became sterile, the only comment you'd see by ESIII's time would be that the flu wiped out the race, just as it does. There wouldn't be any real mention that some lived a full lifespan after. What would that be compared to 700-1000 years? As far as NPC reactions, I would expect any notice of them to be along the lines of "Isn't that a Lilmothiit?" "Yeah. Poor guy."

The intro video reports that ESO begins in 2E 582. The Knahaten Flu broke out in 2E 560 so it would be 22 years since the original outbreak.
  • Osteos
    Osteos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ha if Lady Laurent is the authority on the Limothiit being extinct that leads me to believe there are thousands still alive but in areas barren of treasures to steal.
    DAGGERFALL COVENANT
    NA PC
    Former Vehemence Member
    Onistka Valerius <> Artemis Renault <> Gonk gra-Ugrash <> Karietta <> Zercon at-Rusa <> Genevieve Renault <> Ktaka <> Brenlyn Renault
  • SneaK
    SneaK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to play as an Orangutan.
    "IMO"
    Aldmeri Dominion
    Bosmer Nightblade AR 32 - Altmer Templar AR 26 - Dunmer Dragonknight AR 18 - Altmer Sorcerer AR 20 - Khajiit Dragonknight AR 18
    (+3 not worth mentioning, yet)
  • Silverwillow
    Silverwillow
    ✭✭✭
    @Silverwillow, if we're talking about one of the single player games, set in the Fourth Era; uncorrupted Falmer would not surprise me as a new racial pick. There's a bit of throwaway dialog about the Curate looking for more of his people lurking in hidden enclaves somewhere. So, it wouldn't surprise me if Bethesda decided to play with that.

Adding Maomer to TES6 is certainly possible, especially if it's set anywhere in the south.

As to ESO adding new races? If they were to do an Akavir release, I could see the four races from there being added as playable. But, that's a big if. I doubt we'll see Maomer getting added to ESO. It's possible, but it'd be an awkward fit. Maybe if we got their landmass as a playable expansion, but again, that's a big if (though not as big as getting Akavir).

Completely agree. TES6, of course, could open up any (non-extinct) race as playable. IMO, the stand-alone games create the world and ESO allows us to live in it. The downside of this is because of the time period, the main games can only add to the lore of the 2nd age. We're still not going to be fighting dragons in a future expansion, for example.

The upside is that since everything after TES5 is unknown, they can really do as they please. The big thing I'm hoping for is for TES6 to finally reintroduce the Dwemer. What actually happened to them has always been one of, if not the biggest, question marks of the series. But if the Dwemer WERE to be in TES6 they'd still only be NPCs. Although, depending on how the story unfolds, they might be playable in TES7. Honestly, I have no desire to play one, I'd much prefer to encounter them as a living civilization.

I do love the ambiguity of their disappearance, but if the story is handled well (and they've given me no reason to fear on that score) I feel enough time has passed for them to have a 'big reveal'.

Wow, I'm really off the topic of the thread, aren't I? Yeah, basically, ESO really has no business making a new race that's never been mentioned before. 10 races is more than enough as it is and I don't really see a point in adding more, let alone a completely new one.
    "Ours is not to reason why, ours is just to blame them afterward." -- Bob Varsha
  • Galwylin
    Galwylin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aren't there any other human races than the three we have?
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galwylin wrote: »
    Aren't there any other human races than the three we have?

The four we have. Breton, Redguard, Imperial, and Nord.

Of those, three, (Imperials, Breton, and Nords) are descended from the Nedes, who are (effectively) extinct. The Redguard are the Yokudans (the terms are synonymous, but not completely interchangeable). Also, the Ra Gada were a separate wave of Yokudans who came to Tamriel.

There was a human race on Akavir, but it was exterminated by the Tsaesci. I'm honestly not even sure it has a formal name in the lore. (The info on the subject is kinda vague.)

So, no, not really. Just those four. You can get into arguments about the Reachmen being a distinct race instead of a cultural and political faction of Bretons, but those are the options.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Osteos wrote: »
    Ha if Lady Laurent is the authority on the Limothiit being extinct that leads me to believe there are thousands still alive but in areas barren of treasures to steal.

The extinct part is supported elsewhere. To be honest, if it was in game, I'd be somewhat suspicious of Laurent's opinions. However, since this is explicitly from an external lore primer, it's slightly more credible than most of her comments.