The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 13:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – May 13
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – May 14, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PTS is now offline for the patch 10.0.4 maintenance and is currently unavailable.

suggestion: heavy attack changes

Lynx7386
Lynx7386
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
With the resource changes, heavy attacks are going to be a much more necessary part of every build. I'd like to suggest a few changes to make this more palatable to players;

Light and heavy attacks need more animations, since we're going to be seeing them a lot more.

Frost/fire staves could use faster heavies, especially frost since it's a taunt. Lightning and resto are fine.

Bow heavy needs to not "hold" anymore, that's one of the things I hate most about it. Should also be significantly faster.

2h heavy should be moderately faster, but dual wield should have one of the quickest heavy attacks.

1h/shield should be the fastest heavy attack in the game, to aid tanks in getting some of their stamina back without lowering block for too long.
PS4 / NA
M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
  • Flattedfifth
    Flattedfifth
    ✭✭✭
    Omfg what did you just make me read
    Options
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Frost heavy will have to be faster for it to ever be a viable taunt.

Rest is a bit silly. Some cooler animations would be nice to liven it up, but no actual adjustments.
    Options
  • Lynx7386
    Lynx7386
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest is a bit silly. Some cooler animations would be nice to liven it up, but no actual adjustments.

So you think it makes sense that a dagger and a battle axe take the same amount of time to attack with?
    PS4 / NA
    M'asad - Khajiit Nightblade - Healer
    Pakhet - Khajiit Dragonknight - Tank
    Raksha - Khajiit Sorcerer - Stamina DPS
    Bastet - Khajiit Templar - Healer
    Leonin - Khajiit Warden - Tank
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish they would buff heavy attacks, at least in the aspect of ressource restoration.
    I think it was with Dark Brotherhood, where they buffed them it was a beautiful restoration.... But they stealth reverted it right away the week after.

Please increase the amount of ressources heavy attacks restore, in order to compensate and give us a good reason to use them.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • Strider_Roshin
    Strider_Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Dracane wrote: »
    I wish they would buff heavy attacks, at least in the aspect of ressource restoration.
    I think it was with Dark Brotherhood, where they buffed them it was a beautiful restoration.... But they stealth reverted it right away the week after.

Please increase the amount of ressources heavy attacks restore, in order to compensate and give us a good reason to use them.

If they do that they'll need to nerf the heavy armor passive that increases resources gained from heavy attacks in order to balance it out.
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If they do that they'll need to nerf the heavy armor passive that increases resources gained from heavy attacks in order to balance it out.

Okay, do it :)
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • Twohothardware
    Twohothardware
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They already nerfed it last patch and heavy will likely have a lot harder time sustaining now with the CP changes. Has anyone here currently tested heavy armor much on the PTS?
    Options
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »

So you think it makes sense that a dagger and a battle axe take the same amount of time to attack with?

From a balance perspective, yes. Swinging two small axes vs one big one, whoopitydoo. If you want it realistic for RP purposes, I recommend letting go earlier.
    Options
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy attacks for melee weapons should be faster at the cost of a damage reduction, it is much harder to land a melee heavy attack than a ranged one in PVP. This needs to be done if the new patch ends up forcing people to use heavy attacks to regenerate resources.
    Edited by tplink3r1 on April 21, 2017 12:41AM
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
    Options
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative

You're kind of alone with that opinion, most people rage about the way that heavy attacks need to be included in rotations now as they make the rotation "too easy".

I rather think that ZoS will nerf them too. On the PTS it's all sorcs and dks with heavy attack builds in the new trial.

They need to make inferno heavy attacks shorter to make them worthwhile to include in a rotation to not run out of magicka.

I also tested a lot of different setups in terms of sustain, and most of them were fine if you had around 1300 recovery.

E.g. a Bow/Bow Build on some specific class (disguise :blush:) was sustainable just fine. Stamina Builds should be able to sustain with one Recovery glyph, VO and a good uptime on the 20% recovery buffs.

Same goes for magicka builds.
    PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »

You're kind of alone with that opinion, most people rage about the way that heavy attacks need to be included in rotations now as they make the rotation "too easy".

I rather think that ZoS will nerf them too. On the PTS it's all sorcs and dks with heavy attack builds in the new trial.

They need to make inferno heavy attacks shorter to make them worthwhile to include in a rotation to not run out of magicka.

I also tested a lot of different setups in terms of sustain, and most of them were fine if you had around 1300 recovery.

E.g. a Bow/Bow Build on some specific class (disguise :blush:) was sustainable just fine. Stamina Builds should be able to sustain with one Recovery glyph, VO and a good uptime on the 20% recovery buffs.

Same goes for magicka builds.

As I understand it, people mostly dislike heavy attacks. They have a too long cast and restore not enough and I personally think the damage is not great either for the time it takes.

So I suggested, that they make them more desireable.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • Arenguros
    Arenguros
    ✭✭✭
    Lynx7386 wrote: »
    Bow heavy needs to not "hold" anymore, that's one of the things I hate most about it.
    100% agree on this one. The rest - nope.
    If we ever want Bow to be viable and not super annoying in a meta that includes Heavy Attacks, this needs to happen.

When people like the hold mechanic in certain situations (PvP, Stealth Solo PvE) - why not just make it a toggle in the gameplay options? This could even be extended to all weapons.
    Options
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Heavy attacks already restore a ton of resources and deal decent damage... You should already be making timely use of heavy attacks in pvp.
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
    Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Heavy attacks already restore a ton of resources and deal decent damage... You should already be making timely use of heavy attacks in pvp.

Do they ? What do they restore ? 2k magicka or so ? Haven't used one since DB pts after they nerfed it.
    (just tested, it restores 2400 magicka, this is laughable and a bad joke, it's nothing. Buff it)
    Edited by Dracane on April 21, 2017 1:49PM
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Do they ? What do they restore ? 2k magicka or so ? Haven't used one since DB pts after they nerfed it.
    (just tested, it restores 2400 magicka, this is laughable and a bad joke, it's nothing. Buff it)

leaving-now.gif
    The Age of Wrobel.
    Options
  • Panth141
    Panth141
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just as a side note, with more green CPs freed up by reduced cost removal, you've got a few to invest in tenacity if you so desire. Granted, it's a percentage boost to a percentage return, but it's something.
    PS4 EU - Panth141 | CP 630+
    Dominion
    Almalexia's Fallen - Magicka Dragonknight - PvE Main
    Lost Hope of Sotha Sil - Magicka Dragonknight - PvP Main
    Claws-in-pockets - Stamina Nightblade - PvE/P DPS
    Nocturnal's Guise - Magicka Nightblade - PvE DPS
    Udun - Magicka Templar - PvP Healer
    Onsi's Shattered Blade - Stamina Sorcerer - Dungeon/vMA Farmer
    Stands-like-Mountains - Magicka Nightblade - PvE Saptank
    Auri-El's Forgotten Light - Magicka Sorcerer - PvP DPS

Covenant
    Tharkün - Magicka Sorcerer - PvE DPS
    Rahai-Anaa - Stamina Dragonknight - Provisioner (lol)

Pact
    Perolis - Magicka Sorcerer - Enchanter/Alchemist/BwB PvP

Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OdinForge wrote: »

leaving-now.gif

What I meant by that, is that I never used one for the purpose of restoring ressources. I feel like it's a waste of time for how little it does.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options
  • theamazingx
    theamazingx
    ✭✭✭✭
    OdinForge wrote: »

leaving-now.gif

What I meant by that, is that I never used one for the purpose of restoring ressources. I feel like it's a waste of time for how little it does.

In terms of sustain, it's not just the one magicka tick you get at the end, it's that it costs nothing. And with a maelstrom WoE down, lightning heavies tick pretty hard and cleave even harder. People are already doing fine on pts with a standard prepatch build and one heavy per rotation replacing a couple spammables, buffing the base resource return doesn't seem necessary.
    Options
  • NightbladeMechanics
    NightbladeMechanics
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

That is plenty significant when you spend 1.5 seconds or more charging the heavy attack instead of casting a spell. That's 2400 magicka from the heavy attack + a regen tick with no expenditure during that period.

Make a habit of heavy attacking, and they add up quickly. Heavy attacks would be as op as Dark Deal if one made a significant difference on its own. They're meant to be used regularly in your rotations.
    Edited by NightbladeMechanics on April 21, 2017 3:27PM
    Kena
    Legion XIII
    Excellence without elitism
    Premier small scale PvP

Legend
    NA/PC's original dueling and PvP community guild
    Now NA/PC's dueling, BGs, small scale, GvG, and general PvP community. We float just under 500 members. Mail me in game for an invite.

Apex Predator.

Here's a great thread collecting community ideas for PvP updates.

[MEGATHREAD] Feedback Threads for Class Reps

Class Representative Feedback Discords:
    Nightblade Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/t2Xhnu6

Dragonknight Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/UHtZhz8

Sorcerer Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/e3QkCS8

Templar Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/WvVuSw7

Warden Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/sTFY4ys

General Healing Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/6CmzBFb

TONKS!
    https://discord.gg/DRNYd39

Werewolf Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/aDEx2ev

Vampire Discussion:
    https://discord.gg/yfzck8Q
    Options
  • Vanady
    Vanady
    ✭✭✭
    Who needs abilities, let's just heavy attack. There will only be heavy attack builds, that's what they wanted it seems, why so ever.
    Guilds: Hodor / Aurora Avalonis / Exterminatus / Ghost & Goblins

@ VanaEvr (EU PC EP)
    Vanady Y - Templar Healer - Breton
    Vaine Evr - Nightblade Magicka - Dark Elf
    Va'shjra Yaz - Dragonknight Stamina - Khajiit
    Vasorcys - Sorceress Magicka - Breton
    Vanaya W - Warden Healer - Breton
    Vanea Vany - Dragonknight Magicka - Breton
    Vanecro X - Necromancer Healer - Breton

My Youtube Channel Here
    My Twitch Channel Here
    Options
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Frost taunt is a viable taunt though I doubt it's intended to be viable for every situation just like puncture isn't viable for every situation.

Options
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That is plenty significant when you spend 1.5 seconds or more charging the heavy attack instead of casting a spell. That's 2400 magicka from the heavy attack + a regen tick with no expenditure during that period.

Make a habit of heavy attacking, and they add up quickly. Heavy attacks would be as op as Dark Deal if one made a significant difference on its own. They're meant to be used regularly in your rotations.

2400 magicka is exactly nothing. My ward costs almost 3k magicka now and 1,5 of standing there and channeling makes me so vulnerable. I get nothing out of a heavy attack, because my next ability drains it all.
    I personally think, around 4k restoration is needed.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
    Options