The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Did you play during 1.0 - 1.5? And did you prefer it to PvP in Homestead?

Crystelle
Crystelle
✭✭✭
I'm honestly curious to what the consensus is.
Edited by Crystelle on March 11, 2017 12:27AM
Havoc
Crystelle - EP DK
Crystelle Blade - EP NB
Crystelle Fragments - EP Sorc
Crystelle Radiant - EP Temp
Crystëlle - DC NB
Crystelle Hurricane - EP sSorc

Did you play during 1.0 - 1.5? And did you prefer it to PvP in Homestead? 186 votes

I did play during 1.0 - 1.5 and prefer it to PvP in Homestead
71%
FENGRUSHMorbashGloryMalaVrazicaAlomarShaggygamingKikazaruJoy_DivisionXeniphkevlarto_ESOarkansas_ESObosmern_ESOYolokin_SwagonbornMojmirRadioheadSh0tKilandrosKevinmonssewallb14_ESOlolo_01b16_ESOr.jan_emailb16_ESO 133 votes
I did play during 1.0 - 1.5 and do not prefer it to PvP in Homestead
20%
IcyDeadPeopledriosketchSolarikenGilvothItsMeToopjwb16_ESOJitterbugGlarinSotha_SilDyrideStillianGilGaladRajajshkaDemonNinjaNiaverDagoth_RacEightpeaksSHADOW2KKazoriangamingfrozywozy 39 votes
I did not play during 1.0 - 1.5 and prefer 1.0 - 1.5 PvP to PvP in Homestead
2%
DHaleHexysZeuqWrubius_CoronariaKingJ 5 votes
I did not play during 1.0 - 1.5 and I prefer PvP in Homestead rather than PvP in 1.0 - 1.5
4%
loki547Vaohcrusnik91zuto40Alpheu5bjlaxIsellskoomaMorgul667zooleo 9 votes
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I preferred soft caps and dynamic ult gen from back then.
    PC/EU DC
  • PenguinInACan
    PenguinInACan
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't really draw a comparison as easily as people tend to try. Dynamic ult gen and soft caps were great, for that version of PvP. If we just dropped in soft caps and dynamic ult gen in today's PvP world it would be infinite destro ult 20x worse than the infinite bats or banner every 2 seconds that we had in early Cyro.

When you get down to the "generations" of PvP you need to realize they are generations by design. One was that of soft caps and dynamic ult gen and different siege properties and skill metas. Then ZOZ said "we want something else" and *poof* we got CP and all of the fun that came with it. Then we got proc sets and some new metas came around. Players adapted and the way PvP was fought changed.

Nostalgia shouldn't play a factor in game performance. It just so happens that nostalgia means dynamic ult gen and softcaps in this case...which led to good server performance. BUT for some people, they started playing with CP and without dynamic ult gen...so their nostalgia might include shield breaker being BiS and knowing how mist form "works" with certain sets. (these are just examples of broken things...not a list of why PvP is better now than before 1.5
    Edited by PenguinInACan on March 11, 2017 1:05AM
    Marek
  • Sanct16
    Sanct16
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Give back dynamic ult :|

PS: How do the last 2 poll options even make sense?
    Edited by Sanct16 on March 11, 2017 1:07AM
    - EU - Raid Leader of Banana Zerg Squad
    AD | AR 50 | Sanct Fir'eheal | ex Mana DK @31.10.2015
    EP | AR 50 | Sanctosaurus | Mana NB
    AD | AR 44 | rekt ya | Mana NB
    AD | AR 41 | Sanct Thunderstorm | Mana Sorc
    EP | AR 36 | S'na'ct | Mana NB {NA}
    AD | AR 29 | Captain Full Fist| Stam DK
    AD | AR 29 | Sanct The Dark Phoenix| Stam Sorc
    EP | AR 16 | Horny Sanct | Stam Warden
    EP | AR 16 | Sánct Bánáná Sláyér | Mana DK
    DC | AR 13 | ad worst faction eu | Stam Sorc
    DC | AR 13 | Lagendary Sanct | Mana NB

>320.000.000 AP
  • No_True_Scotsman
    No_True_Scotsman
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can't really draw a comparison as easily as people tend to try. Dynamic ult gen and soft caps were great, for that version of PvP. If we just dropped in soft caps and dynamic ult gen in today's PvP world it would be infinite destro ult 20x worse than the infinite bats or banner every 2 seconds that we had in early Cyro.

When you get down to the "generations" of PvP you need to realize they are generations by design. One was that of soft caps and dynamic ult gen and different siege properties and skill metas. Then ZOZ said "we want something else" and *poof* we got CP and all of the fun that came with it. Then we got proc sets and some new metas came around. Players adapted and the way PvP was fought changed.

Nostalgia shouldn't play a factor in game performance. It just so happens that nostalgia means dynamic ult gen and softcaps in this case...which led to good server performance. BUT for some people, they started playing with CP and without dynamic ult gen...so their nostalgia might include shield breaker being BiS and knowing how mist form "works" with certain sets. (these are just examples of broken things...not a list of why PvP is better now than before 1.5

This is true. The game has been designed in subsequent patches after 1.5 assuming a lack of softcaps and the presence of CP's. If we want dynamic ulti and soft caps again, we'd also need a game resdesign.

1.0 to 1.5 was fun because my bats could eat up zergs of players. But 2+ skilled players trying to kill me was still not in my, or anyone's, favor. Most of the current complaints about the game were also the primary complaints about the game back then: lag (even if it's worse now), zergs (they were way bigger back then), unskilled play (procs now, aoe + ulti spam then), and lack of build diversity (this is actually better now, even though hybrids got rekt by the CP system).

I'm nostalgic for those times too, and for a variety of reasons. But I think the old school crowd that remains is looking back at it with rose tinted lenses.
  • Crystelle
    Crystelle
    ✭✭✭
    Sanct16 wrote: »
    Give back dynamic ult :|

PS: How do the last 2 poll options even make sense?

Even if you didn't play back then you could have watched videos from those patches and have an opinion.
    Havoc
    Crystelle - EP DK
    Crystelle Blade - EP NB
    Crystelle Fragments - EP Sorc
    Crystelle Radiant - EP Temp
    Crystëlle - DC NB
    Crystelle Hurricane - EP sSorc
  • Yuke
    Yuke
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the option for:

I played every patch but prefer 1.6?
    Save Us, Microsoft.

Noricum & Kitesquad™
    YT-Channel
  • Satiar
    Satiar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yuke wrote: »
    Where is the option for:

I played every patch but prefer 1.6?

I don't miss eating 50k dawn breakers to the face.
    Vehemence -- Commander and Raid Lead -- Tri-faction PvP
    Knights Paravant -- Co-GM and Raid Lead -- AD Greyhost

• Firerock2
    Firerock2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It had its problems, but I had much more fun. If there was a 1.5 version of this game that I had to pay extra money to play, I would.

1.6 was cancer, it was the darkest time in eso history. DB patch was the most balanced post 1.5
    Edited by Firerock2 on March 11, 2017 2:01AM
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I preferred 1.6 to 2.2. When everyone emerged from the sewers about a month into 2.1, AvA was very very good.
  • IcyDeadPeople
    IcyDeadPeople
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Balance will never be perfect, but it is much better now than it was during 1.0 - 1.5. You can finally make a viable character with any of the four classes and your choice of stamina or magicka, light, heavy or medium armor. This is a massive improvement, certainly was not the case until relatively recently.

The overall balance was terrible during 1.0 - 1.5, sometimes referred to as "Elder Robes Online." All the class abilities including ultimates scaled based on your max magicka and spell damage. There were no stamina morphs. The softcaps softened the edges slightly, but the game was overwhelmingly weighted toward light armor magicka builds.

None of you recall the extent to which people raged on this same forum during that time, asking ZOS to add stamina/weapon dmg ultimates, stamina class abilities, buff stam builds and get rid of soft caps? Many players quit the game back then because they felt shoehorned into playing light armor magicka build when they wanted a different kind of playstyle.

When 1.6 dropped, finally medium armor Stamina builds became viable, but the pendulum swung a bit too far in their direction and they were a bit overpowered compared to magicka builds for a while. Subsequent patches improved the balance further.

More recently heavy armor has been buffed to the point where it is a viable option, but in my view the pendulum has once again swung too far in the direction of heavy armor. Not quite enough of a tradeoff or reason to choose medium or light currently, when you can have tremendous sustain, incredibly high resistances and excellent damage output in heavy. Much improved since 1.5, though.
    Edited by IcyDeadPeople on March 15, 2017 4:24AM
  • LeifErickson
    LeifErickson
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Firerock2 wrote: »
    DB patch was the most balanced post 1.5

Lol
  • donJay
    donJay
    ✭✭✭
    The patch when Skaffa was unkillable, tanked hordes of players AND killed them is the patch that we should never go back to. Will never forget my early days. Seemed unrealistically OP. Perma block and ult every second.
    Edited by donJay on March 11, 2017 7:23AM
    ANIMOSITY BEST GUILD NA + EU
    Former Los Pepes
    Former Nemesìs
    Former Dynamic
    Former Nexus

EP | Magplar l Argonian l don-Jay
    DC | Magden | High Elf | don-Bae

Magden Solo PvP Vid
  • mtwiggz
    mtwiggz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disliked dynamic ult gen. Made it too easy for players to chain ultimates. Couldn't even imagine how that would be with destro ult.

Loved soft caps. Reduced the amount of cheese builds running around Cyrodiil.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did not play during 1.0 - 1.5 and I prefer PvP in Homestead rather than PvP in 1.0 - 1.5
    *** I meant to vote that PvP was better in 1.0-1.5!! don't participate in polls when tired..... -_- ****

Console launch PvP saw everyone scaled equally and no CPs involved. Lag was also minimal. It was absolutely fantastic.

I've also seen many vids of the old-style PvP.

This is a very clear decision imo.
    Edited by Vaoh on March 11, 2017 7:35AM
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Poll is weird - How exactly do people decide if they prefer Hometead without playing 1.0-1.5?
  • Sheuib
    Sheuib
    ✭✭✭✭
    People use to complain about soft caps and dynamic ult as much as they complain about not having them now. I use to perma block in light armor on my magtemplar and never die.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    sticker,375x360.u3.png

Oh I member
  • Chair
    Chair
    ✭✭✭
    #GiveBackBackDynamicUltGen
    100% Not Miruku I swear
    Stamblade Rank 50 (No AP flipping involved)
    DK Rank 35( Retired)
    Grand Overlord Flawless Conqueror Dro-M'athra Destroyer
    Princess Guar Of Guar Squad OP
    DD for The Phoenix Reborn
    Former Zerg Squad/Banana Squad

• Rohamad_Ali
    Rohamad_Ali
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the performance back then but I did not enjoy the pulse trains and light armor vamp DK invasion Overlords . They ruled with Iron Fists and a bazillion bat ultimates . I remember testing 1.6 and melting the Test Center server playing with the Devs . I know we were in for the lag of a lifetime . The EP of Thornblade were just one big ball of impulse that made walls repairable under attack . I do not share the same rose lenses for those times .

I miss the first 3 weeks of launch where everyone was confused and the battles were bigger then life . Then the Bot Armies invaded and ZoS made some changes to the code and a patch to fix lighting came out and it all went downhill from there performance wise . Server pops were lowered . Deer were evacuated . Torchbugs were eradicated from the swamps and forests . It was the strangest MMO experience I had ever seen to try and fix the lag . I could of swore they would just do a rollback before all that strange removal and pop cap limit stuff but no . They really kept going in that direction ... So weird . Sometimes it doesn't even feel like the same game I preordered but a watered down version of this really big spectacular war zone called Cyrodiil .

Anyways I forgot what else I was going to say . Something about getting back to the launch feeling I think .
  • Fi'yra
    Fi'yra
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest with you.. I don't feel like voting because I feel it's useless. I preferred 1.5, fix nirnhoned and it was a good patch.
    - And perma roll-dodge, but then again I'm a Magicka DK I don't care about your Rolling x)
    AD - PC/EU
    Get Wrobled
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I played back then. Yes, I preferred it back then, but for different reasons than most.

I prefer the old times, because it was a different type of community back then. There was the odd one out in between who tried to exploit the addmitedly poorer gameplay, but the majority of players just played the game.

Nowadays, no matter which campaign you join, there's always a bunch of ap flippers with zero interest in pvp. Or proctatos. Or 5-attacks-a-second turds.

Basically, pvp population is a bunch of exploiting, spineless and pathetic excuses for human beings, that justify anything with "because I can".

And that is the only reason why I lost interest in pvp.
  • Derra
    Derra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only thing i miss is multiple populated campaigns and dynamic ult gain.

But there´s so much i don´t want back.
    <Noricum>
    I live. I die. I live again.

Derra - DC - Sorc - AvA 50
    Derrah - EP - Sorc - AvA 50

• PandaIsAPotato
    PandaIsAPotato
    ✭✭✭
    @PenguinInACan don't lie you loved the mDK/Templar only meta, and you miss your Blinding Flashes!
    Leandor wrote: »
    Yes, I played back then. Yes, I preferred it back then, but for different reasons than most.

I prefer the old times, because it was a different type of community back then. There was the odd one out in between who tried to exploit the addmitedly poorer gameplay, but the majority of players just played the game.

Nowadays, no matter which campaign you join, there's always a bunch of ap flippers with zero interest in pvp. Or proctatos. Or 5-attacks-a-second turds.

Basically, pvp population is a bunch of exploiting, spineless and pathetic excuses for human beings, that justify anything with "because I can".

And that is the only reason why I lost interest in pvp.

This is a very sad and very true observation, back in the 1.5 days a majority of people did just "Play the game." But the best part was no one knew how to play, there wasn't a meta or BiS sets, there wasn't exploits that you had to get to be competitive. I.E Double Mundus, that was arguably the best part about early day ESO, we were all a bunch of potatoes learning to potate.
    Edited by PandaIsAPotato on March 11, 2017 10:48AM
    Supreme Leader Panda
    GM of Licinius Exploitation Incorporated
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I miss the soft caps and the dynamic ulties. Back then we had 6 skills (the ulti was like a skill, especially 1.0 and 1.1 with bats cost 4 ultimates for sorcs and 40 for the rest) on 1 bar, now we have 5 skills + 1 utlimate.
    Edited by Bashev on March 11, 2017 11:47AM
    Because I can!
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bashev wrote: »
    I miss the soft caps and the dynamic unties...

Yeah, dynamic undies were a blast :D:D:D

SCNR
  • pjwb16_ESO
    pjwb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    I miss stacking Veils :(. RIP Ground Oils <3 remembered for eternity
    ~ here since Beta

My Youtube Channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UCw3x5B-l0S093TAo10WafLA

EU Server PC @Elendiel
    Fyrusha - NB AD
    Auri-ele - Sorc AD
    Watch me Nae Nae - Magicka DK AD
    Watch me Whip - Magicka DK DC
    Schnuggii - Bubble Templar AD
  • Chair
    Chair
    ✭✭✭
    @Stillian

Voting for preferring homestead PVP, you know flipping isnt PVP Right?
    Edited by Chair on March 11, 2017 11:41AM
    100% Not Miruku I swear
    Stamblade Rank 50 (No AP flipping involved)
    DK Rank 35( Retired)
    Grand Overlord Flawless Conqueror Dro-M'athra Destroyer
    Princess Guar Of Guar Squad OP
    DD for The Phoenix Reborn
    Former Zerg Squad/Banana Squad

• azoriangaming
    azoriangaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    god damn it i can't read lmao

my vote should be i play back then and enjoyed it better back then
  • Iyas
    Iyas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I miss the playerbase and several active campaigns. But not the combat.
    Noricum/ Kitesquad/ PC/EU

Kitesquad Vol. 1

https://youtube.com/watch?v=6tGxK9KRrEI
  • ToRelax
    ToRelax
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd take anything except 1.0 over what we have now.

1.5 and 1.6 both had their good and bad sides, overall I enjoyed 1.5 more, but it's close.

And yes, of course the game would have to be balanced differently if you reintroduce major systems like softcaps or dynamic ult. I don't think I just like those because of nostalgia. >_>
    Fi'yra wrote: »
    To be honest with you.. I don't feel like voting because I feel it's useless. I preferred 1.5, fix nirnhoned and it was a good patch.
    - And perma roll-dodge, but then again I'm a Magicka DK I don't care about your Rolling x)

You mean 1.6?
    DAGON - ALTADOON - CHIM - GHARTOK
    The Covenant is broken. The Enemy has won...

Elo'dryel - Sorc - AR 50 - Hopesfire - EP EU